PDA

View Full Version : Scenario: Mutiny

SweetKhorne
15-08-2010, 13:39
Mutiny is my first attempt at creating a new scenario, which is detailed in the attached PDF. My aim was to try and re-create the feel of a 'zombie survival' game in Warhammer Fantasy. As such it's a somewhat unusual scenario in that it's a cooperative game that any number of players can play - in fact you could even play this solo. You can, of course, compete against each other using Victory Points or Turns Survived.

All feedback is greatly appreciated. I've not played this scenario yet, but will do as soon as I can - should be fun! I'd love to hear if anyone gives this a go.

Thanks,

- SweetKhorne.

rtunian
15-08-2010, 15:00
this is bunk. if you want to make a zombie survival mod for warhammer, don't try to base it on a pitched battle "that went wrong". just make up your own rules for spawning zombies. you have not provided a compelling or interesting reason to violate the fluff of warhammer so badly.

in warhammer battles, 2 or more armies show up to fight over land, honor, trinkets, or just to have a rompin good time (in the case of the greenskins). there are also the times when 2 armies fight because they are in each other's way. regardless, in no case will an orc warboss fight "side by side" with an elven prince. neither would an empire general fight back to back with a skaven grey seer.

from a gameplay perspective, i do not find the prospect of 2 lone characters fighting 2 full armies to be very fun or exciting. instead, i think it would be extremely boring and clunky. the warhammer movement and unit formation rules will be a problem with your scenario: a single character doesn't take up very much frontage, and so when stuck into a unit of 20, 14 of those guys are going to stand around doing nothing while 6 of them attack. they will almost never break, due to having 4 static combat res (3 ranks, standard) and only facing a handfull of attacks. so you will have 1 character stuck to a unit until he kills the whole unit or until he dies, and in that time, 2-3 more units will be crowding around, trying to get into combat, but having a really hard time with the way frontages work out.

sorry to rain on your parade.

SweetKhorne
15-08-2010, 15:58
rtunian, you make some good points. I did initially think of doing rules for spawning wave after wave of enemies - but what models would you use? The only models most people will have are the models in their armies - which is why I decided to use them in the way I have. This is supposed to be a scenario after all, rather than a mod, which could be chosen by a dice roll.

I disagree with your assertion about why armies will fight and who they will fight with - there are often far more complex reasons why armies fight. The Allied Armies chapter in the rule book does cover this. The examples you gave could be handled using the rules laid out under the Desparate Allies section - to quote: "Order and Destruction only find common cause in the most desperate of circumstances."

I think you might be right about the actual gameplay itself though - it's hard to say without playing a game. I'll give it a go and see - but I imagine that two or more generals working together could make quick work of many units. Having the small frontage will indeed be an issue, and it might turn into a grind as you say.

Don't be silly about raining on parades, this is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. As I said, this is my first attempt at writing a custom scenario - and it's the most 'out there' one I've thought of so far! He he.

Thanks,

- SweetKhorne.

rtunian
15-08-2010, 16:25
you can use any models. i wrote rules for a campaign to play with my brother, where he has a small vc warband and he has to fight uncounted hordes of greenskins that trickle in. i had him start on one side of the board and work his way across to the other side. along the way there would be greenskin camps where a set/random number of models and bosses would spawn, as well as "world spawn" and dungeons for ransacking. anyway the point is that you can use the models that you have. have the "defending" player form a small warband, and the "attacking" player uses his army.

an example of world spawn is 2d6 models (or d6 units of d6 models, or some other random formula), d6+2 inches away, in a scatter direction. an example of a camp would be d3+1 units of 2d6 models, with the camp led by d3 unit champions, d3-1 heros, d3-2 wizards. when the "defending" player gets w/in 18 inches (or some distance) of the camp, then spawn the camp