PDA

View Full Version : Horde Nurgle Marauders?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
15-08-2010, 12:41
Hi Peoples,

I would appreciate some critique on this idea:

Going for a Horde of GW armed Nurgle Marauders, 40 to 50 strong. I know Khorne is the normal choice and I will be running a unit of them, but I though Nurgle could have its uses against shooting and making WS5 opponents hit them on 4s instead of 3s. It is also always active, so no losing it, which does have some appeal. I know they will no longer be ItP, but with a Ld8 general and a BSB I didn't think this would be too much of a problem. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Nixon

Korraz
15-08-2010, 13:16
The job of a horde is to kill stuff, not to survive. I'd say MoN would contradict that a little bit.

Vyslav
15-08-2010, 13:53
I guess I am not really sure how you want to use this unit. By putting the mark of nurgle it would seem it is more of an anvil unit, holding against the enemy until another unit comes in. The GW suggests it being a more killy unit. If you are running a unit with mark of khorne then would you be better dropping the GW for LA + shield to stick around longer?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
15-08-2010, 14:23
I guess I am not really sure how you want to use this unit. By putting the mark of nurgle it would seem it is more of an anvil unit, holding against the enemy until another unit comes in. The GW suggests it being a more killy unit. If you are running a unit with mark of khorne then would you be better dropping the GW for LA + shield to stick around longer?

I thought about the shields, but then I would have gone for Tzeentch, and I really like all those S5 attacks. Khorne adds only an extra 10 attacks, so I though it would be a nice in the middle unit which can withstand a lot of bow/gun fire and also the attentions of elite troops, while still dishing the dirt. I'm not sure though, I ran a few scenarios and against most elite troops they were still winning, taking fewer losses while causing only a few less casualties (due to them taking less losses). Against weaker troops khorne is king, but as I already have a unit of them and some warriors to tackle those weaker troops I thought this could be the way to go. But thanks for the advice, it's greatly appreciated (From both of you).

Nixon

Citadel97501
16-08-2010, 16:11
If your using Marauders with the Mark of Nurgle, I suggest you only have one and stick an exalted Hero in it, with the Shrieking Blade, then if they fail their fear test they can't make attacks, allowing you to respond with a metric ton of great weapon attacks. . .

Your other option is to use a Sorcerer Lord to weaken the unit with the Lore of Shadows Signature spell, which is a pretty good combo lore for WoC anyway.

(Look at enfeebling foe, and Withering, then look at the Curse of Lepers.)

Lord Dan
16-08-2010, 16:27
Khorne adds only an extra 10 attacks

There was an edition not too long ago where 10 attacks was never preceded by the word "only". You're talking about 40 S5 attacks instead of 30, which is absolutely nothing to scoff at.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
16-08-2010, 16:33
There was an edition not too long ago where 10 attacks was never preceded by the word "only". You're talking about 40 S5 attacks instead of 30, which is absolutely nothing to scoff at.

I do agree, a 33% increase in hitting power is very nice, but you have to offset that against losses as well. And you don't get those attacks if you lose a combat (and as I'm going to be pitching them against elite units, this is definitely possible). I'm by no means disregarding what you're saying, just offering a counter part to it. Please keep the advice coming.

Citadel, I like that idea, I have a backup lvl 1 shadow sorcerer running around with them with some pts to spare any way, so I'll chuck the sword on, might as well. Haven't got the pts for the exalted unfortunately.

Nixon

Korthos the all-seeing
16-08-2010, 20:57
I'd go for MoT, but that is because i am one tzeentchy motherchanger.

What?

Korthos the all-seeing
16-08-2010, 20:58
Vyslav, flip the cursor on your avatar!

Morthak
16-08-2010, 21:04
I'm sorry to say our lvl1's can't take shadows, only death or fire. You can, however, take book of secrets on an exalted with shrieking blade and possibly even a spell familiar or a 6+ ward talisman combined with mark of Tzeentch. Should work as a decent backup caster.

Morthak

Lord Dan
16-08-2010, 21:17
I do agree, a 33% increase in hitting power is very nice, but you have to offset that against losses as well. And you don't get those attacks if you lose a combat (and as I'm going to be pitching them against elite units, this is definitely possible). I'm by no means disregarding what you're saying, just offering a counter part to it. Please keep the advice coming.

I'm glad to see that I'm dealing with a gentleman.

Let's say you run a unit of 45 as 10x4+5. If you're planning on taking the 15+ casualties necessary to start cutting into your horde attacks, chances are your opponent is tossing magical templates at you and completely negating the bonus you're recieving from the MoN anyway. More importantly MoK is not just extra attacks- it's the immune to psychology you'll need to keep your foot-sloggers trudging forward despite those occasional massed casualities.

MoN is my favorite mark by far, however I find it is best reserved for units that already have an extremely high damage output (like your knights and warriors with halberds). Marauders don't kill things bigger than goblins all that overwhelmingly well without lots of help, and GW are only a step in the right direction. Conversely, if you'd rather the unit be a big tarpit to soak up elite units then HW+shield, LA and MoN is the way to go.

Ultimately it sounds like you want the unit to be able to do a bit of everything, and unfortunately marauders just aren't the best multi-taskers.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
16-08-2010, 22:10
I'm sorry to say our lvl1's can't take shadows, only death or fire. You can, however, take book of secrets on an exalted with shrieking blade and possibly even a spell familiar or a 6+ ward talisman combined with mark of Tzeentch. Should work as a decent backup caster.

Morthak

Damn it I keep forgetting what lores chaos sorcerers can use, the ones which make sense always seem to be left out (surely shadow is evil enough? better than heavens on a lord at any rate). Cheers for pointing it out though, I'll just switch to death for the character sniping, or use that nice exalted build you just pointed out. An extra +1 to cast from tzeentch sounds very nice, I'll give him a shield so he has a 5+ ward in combat anyway, and either the channelling rod or the spell familiar.

Lord Dan, thank-you for your complement, and in respect of your argument, I consider your logic to be rock solid. Khorne it will have to be then, I like my GWs.

Nixon

Dreadgrass
16-08-2010, 22:35
MoN on Marauders is an anti-elf unit to me. Mitigates casualties from massed bow/ RBT fire and they don't have a huge quantity of templates. A lot of their elite units are around that WS5 mark as well. These Marauders should be able to get away with being a bit smaller units then the Khornate ones as you shouldn't take as many losses on the way in.