PDA

View Full Version : Redemption Corps: Opinions?

Tak
15-08-2010, 14:46
I was wondering what peoples opinion of this book might be.

I'm a little bit confused about the plot in this book. The main protaganist's rank for starters is not very clear. on the back of the book it mentions a Captain Mortensen but in the book he is referred to as Major Mortensen.

Eh?!:confused:

The story also develops in a rather haphazard manner that leaves you wondering wether you missed something, at least thats what happened to me but maybe I was just having a "urr...durr" moment?

Opinions people?:)

Overall? Poor. I like to Grade 40k books with the Ultramarines series being 5, The Dawn of War series / Iron Hands being 0 and Hammer of Daemons/Soul Hunter 10, this I'd give a 3.

FabricatorGeneralMike
15-08-2010, 15:52
Overall? Poor. I like to Grade 40k books with the Ultramarines series being 5, The Dawn of War series / Iron Hands being 0 and Hammer of Daemons/Soul Hunter 10, this I'd give a 3.

Whats up with the IH book being a Zero ???:wtf:

That was a great book that finally gave is some insight into the mysterious X Legion. I thought the clan system was well repersented and that because of the drop site massacure when all their vets got smacked down they don't have that many suits of Terminator Armour. I also really liked the Venerable Dreadnought Bannus.

But different tastes for different people eh? ;)

KingDeath
15-08-2010, 17:41
Whats up with the IH book being a Zero ???:wtf:

That was a great book that finally gave is some insight into the mysterious X Legion. I thought the clan system was well repersented and that because of the drop site massacure when all their vets got smacked down they don't have that many suits of Terminator Armour. I also really liked the Venerable Dreadnought Bannus.

But different tastes for different people eh? ;)

The IH book wasn't that terrible, at least not until the end when i would have liked to strangle the author for his utterly retarded solution to the plot.

Tsavo
15-08-2010, 18:23
it was ok to read.. i figured out really early just to read the chapters in normal print 1st then go back and read the italics.. made for a better read imo.

dethrolla
15-08-2010, 19:54
I'm a little bit confused about the plot in this book. The main protaganist's rank for starters is not very clear. on the back of the book it mentions a Captain Mortensen but in the book he is referred to as Major Mortensen.

Eh?!:confused:

You shouldn't take the back cover quite so seriously. Remember, the author wrote the book. Somebody else wrote the blurb on the cover. I think I'd go with the author on that one.

It was certainly an interesting way to tell the story, and I found the style quite refreshing. An enjoyable read overall, but the reader needs to work at it a little bit so isn't going to be everbody's cup of tea.

Wyrmwood
15-08-2010, 20:53
I like 'Iron Hands', though I dislike Green's portrayal of Chaos Space Marines - getting slaughtered I mean, but the Death Guard advancing through the smoke scene was made of 'pure win' - that's what all the 'kids' are saying, right? :)

Sorry for that being off topic.

mob16151
15-08-2010, 21:22
I enjoyed it. it took me a few chapters to get used to the writing style. But the deeper in you get, the more enjoyable I thought. And that Priest in it, helped me understand why the Ecclesiarchy is as widespread as it is. He was a bad a**.

Promethius
16-08-2010, 02:41
Not a fan. Didn't really seem to be much stormtrooper action compared to what I'd expected. I thought it rattled along ok, just not what I was hoping for. Had a vision of company-size stormtrooper deployments via grav chute, tons of valkyries spearheading assaults, that kind of thing. I felt the book lacked the scale I was looking for. The sob bit was a bit boring also.

x-esiv-4c
16-08-2010, 12:37
I really liked it. I enjoyed the fluff implications regarding the orks. To be honest I can't stand any book where the protagonist is wearing power armour and has the personality of brick layer's mortar. This was a welcome change. It goes to show who the real muscle of the imperium are.

Col. Dash
17-08-2010, 19:44
I thought the straight ripping off of Blackhawk Down was pretty bad. The plot didnt seem very cohesive, just kinda bounced from place to place. Couldnt they have found a better ship, I think a Valkyrie that can fly in space, has extended cargo space etc would likely be somethign besides a Valkyrie. The fact they kept reiterating that it was a "special" class of Valk says to me the editors caught it too and were trying to overemphasize that it was a different bird to fluff nazis like me. I liked the main two characters, i thought they were interesting. Using the scale above(and relative to my scale below) I would give it a 4, the characters saved it from being a total washout.
Daemonworld/Firewarrior 0 Gaunts ghosts 5 Soul Hunter/Storm of Iron 10

Death Company
17-08-2010, 22:45
I really liked it. I enjoyed the fluff implications regarding the orks. To be honest I can't stand any book where the protagonist is wearing power armour and has the personality of brick layer's mortar. This was a welcome change. It goes to show who the real muscle of the imperium are.

Ooooh boy. Further proof that it takes different strokes for different folks.

I thought the book was atrocious and was on the level of Abyss or Brothers of the Snake.

Merus
17-08-2010, 22:49
I'd like it to be noted I haven't read it. That said, I recall listening to my cousin, who loves Sisters of Battle and Guardsmen mind you, lament in ventrilo to me about how terrible he thought the book was. :/

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pick it up now seeing such varied opinions. People either loved it or detested it.