PDA

View Full Version : Emperors Children or Abaddons 13th Black Crusade

Gimp
16-08-2010, 07:27
Hey all

I am not getting enough games these days as I know have to share my time between Johannesburg and a small dusty town called Grahamstown. So thinking of selling all my armies and getting that lovely Chaos army I have always wanted. However I cant decide which route to take with the army. Gonna buy it all in one go so I better make damn sure that the choice I make is the correct choice.

So the first of the two options is an Emperors Children themed list. Led by Lucius and containing loads of (my favourite) Noise Marines (no Icons) and Obliterators (I know its not fluff but I need the anti-tank so going to scratch build them to look like speakers).

The second option is an army themed around Abaddons 13th Black Crusade. It will have Abaddon and will contain elements of my most loved legions. Marines from Iron Warriors and Night Lords, World Eater Berserker, Death Guard Plague Marines, Black Legion Terminators and of course Emperors Children Noise Marines.

Listed the pros and cons of both armies. So my question is what army should I collect.

Emperors Children Pros

1) I get to use my favourite legion

2) Prefer uniformed armies

3) Sonic Weaponry is fun

4) Relatively cheaper

5) One day an EC army might become possible and even competitive

Emperors Children Cons

1) I am concerned that I will get bored of playing an army of simply Noise Marines and Obliterators

2) Very small model count

3) No real anti tank

Abaddons 13th Black Crusade Pros

1) I get to use my favourite character

2) Army wont get stale as I have loads to choose from

3) Far more competitive

4) Every unit will have a different paint scheme

Abaddons 13th Black Crusade Cons

1) Its not an Emperors Children list :/

2) No real sense of uniformity

The Marshel
16-08-2010, 07:33
perhaps you can have a bit of both worlds? the black crusades are pretty massive, so it wouldnt b too hard to justify a black crusade army with heavy focus on emperors children. so you would till have plenty of noise marines, but also a few other elements to provide some variety and comparativeness.

RunepriestRidcully
16-08-2010, 07:45
You said it yourself, your favorite legion is Emperor's children, go for Emperor's legion, the thing with it not being competitive, take it from pure Grey knight and Thousand Son player, that makes it fun, every battle is a challenge, and you have to rely on tactics rather then some flashy new unit/overpowered unit to win, plus it will last longer, since GW has a habit of overreacting, what is good in this codex may not be good in the next, whilst if you go with an Emperor's children the changes you will have to make will proberbly be less, also you do not have to take Obliterators, try a predator with Autocannon and Lascannon Sponsons, it is quite good and fluffy, unless the Emperor's children sold all their verhicles for drugs.

Gimp
16-08-2010, 08:20
You said it yourself, your favorite legion is Emperor's children, go for Emperor's legion, the thing with it not being competitive, take it from pure Grey knight and Thousand Son player, that makes it fun, every battle is a challenge, and you have to rely on tactics rather then some flashy new unit/overpowered unit to win, plus it will last longer, since GW has a habit of overreacting, what is good in this codex may not be good in the next, whilst if you go with an Emperor's children the changes you will have to make will proberbly be less, also you do not have to take Obliterators, try a predator with Autocannon and Lascannon Sponsons, it is quite good and fluffy, unless the Emperor's children sold all their verhicles for drugs.

I was thinking that myself. 3rd edtion was released in 2002 and 4th edition in 2007 and look at the major changes that took place there. So at this rate I should have a new codex by 2012 :'(

As for EC being my favourite legion, abaddon is also my favourite character

Winning is not such a major issue however being horribly beaten into the ground by my friends day in and day out would be a major issue.

IAMNOTHERE
16-08-2010, 08:35
As some one whos played EC for years I don't understand why your limiting yourself to just Noise Marines and Obliterators?

My Typical 1500pt list looks somthing like this:

Winged Lash Prince
Greater Daemon
6 Possessed inc Champ and Rhino
6 Lesser Daemons
2 Defilers
6 Chosen in Rhino (tooled for anti tank and outflanking)
6 Sonics with BM
6 Sonics with BM

36 Models on the nose (6*6) and everything had IoS

Gimp
16-08-2010, 11:52
As some one whos played EC for years I don't understand why your limiting yourself to just Noise Marines and Obliterators?

My Typical 1500pt list looks somthing like this:

Winged Lash Prince
Greater Daemon
6 Possessed inc Champ and Rhino
6 Lesser Daemons
2 Defilers
6 Chosen in Rhino (tooled for anti tank and outflanking)
6 Sonics with BM
6 Sonics with BM

36 Models on the nose (6*6) and everything had IoS

I am not the biggest fan of daemons and I would hate to use Icons.

However I would be more than willing to use a squad of Possessed but the lists I have been creating just dont have enough points.

IAMNOTHERE
16-08-2010, 11:54
Well the list started out as an exersise to get 36 models but worked out really effective on the table top.

destroyerlord
16-08-2010, 13:30
Sonic heavy Black Legion is a reasonable choice. I certainly wouldn't like an army where every unit is painted in a different colour scheme though, that tends to look very disjointed, as though its just a collection of random units (although I suppose that is the point in this case).
And yes, Emperor's Children can use just about every unit in the army book.

Souleater
16-08-2010, 13:53
Black Legion doesnt' have to look like a mess. Tie the themes together in a coherent way and avoid a wide variety of garish colours and I think you should be okay.

Specific legion colours on the left side of the figure. On the right hand side the armour and/or decorations are in black.

Or add in black to the main colours of the army IIRC the CSM has some sample models in the gallery section.

Gimp
16-08-2010, 14:30
Sonic heavy Black Legion is a reasonable choice. I certainly wouldn't like an army where every unit is painted in a different colour scheme though, that tends to look very disjointed, as though its just a collection of random units (although I suppose that is the point in this case).
And yes, Emperor's Children can use just about every unit in the army book.

The idea would not be a Black Legion army but one of the alliaces of Legions brought together by Abaddon.

destroyerlord
16-08-2010, 14:36
If thats the case then I vote for Emperor's Children. Thats just what I would prefer anyway.

qwertywraith
16-08-2010, 20:09
Play Emperor's Children, and add in any units you want to use and just paint them according to your chosen paint scheme: Pink Plague Marines are fine. These days, why not? If you like Abaddon run him, or even run a custom character who uses Abaddon's rules and is an EC Lord?

IAMNOTHERE
16-08-2010, 23:12
The thing about EC is people get hung up on Noise Marines and make a 1 trick list.

Variety is the spice of life and EC pursued all things to perfection. So I take it that Raptors get to go really fast - speed perfection, same with my bikers. I model my Havoc's with 3 BMs for fire power perfection and the same with my Termies (although I run them in squads of 3 with Reapers (Kit bashed BMs).

Go EC and everyone else will follow you (I5 FTW).

Aedes
17-08-2010, 00:30
Emperors children.
Definitely. Cool colours and nice models.
And, I just lost a game against them in the weekends tournament.
They can be very competitive.

Gimp
17-08-2010, 09:13
Well everyone seems to be telling me to go for the EC way. Well here are both my lists.

160 = Lucius the Eternal

230 = 6 Noise Marines + 6 Sonic Blasters+ Noise Champion + Doom Siren + Power Sword + Rhino

270 = 6 Noise Marines + 5 Sonic Blasters + Blastmaster + Noise Champion + Doom Siren + Power Sword + Personal Icon + Rhino

270 = 6 Noise Marines + 5 Sonic Blasters + Blastmaster + Noise Champion + Doom Siren + Power Sword + Personal Icon + Rhino

150 = 2 Obliterators

150 = 2 Obliterators

150 = 2 Obliterators

And the second list

275 = Abaddon

120 = 3 Terminators + 2 Combi Meltas + Chain Fist + Heavy Flamer

120 = 3 Terminators + 2 Combi Meltas + Chain Fist + Heavy Flamer

255 = 10 Chaos Space Marines + Chaos Glory + 2 Meltaguns + Power Fist + Rhino

256 = 7 Plague Marines + 2 Meltaguns + Power Fist + Rhino

187 = 7 Khorne Berserkers + Power Fist

195 = 6 Noise Marines + 6 Sonic Blasters + Doom Siren + Power Weapon

235 = Landraider + Extra Armour

IAMNOTHERE
17-08-2010, 09:52
Well I think your first list has lots of points spent weakening the squads. With Noise Marines either go assaulty or go shooty.

Save either the BM points or the Champ points on each squad - Which will give you enough points for another Noise Marine Squad!

I'd add in personal icons in both lists to bring your deep strikers in on.

The second list looks like it needs some TKsons to round out your troops choices.

Pushkin
17-08-2010, 10:00
Isn't there a FW model for a Noise-marine Dread. I remember thinking it looks awesome. I have no idea if there are any rules for it/where one might find them but you could always use it as counts as!

Plus i'm pretty sure FW do EC plates for a land raider too? You could convert termies to have custom noise weapons and just do them as Counts as bolter/melta bolter/flamer. I don't think anyone would object.

None of the legions will really be competative in themselves unless they get their own books ( but thats a whole different thread...) but no reason why you can just convert and use the normal list.

Aiwass
17-08-2010, 18:57
I go for EC. If you want AT power and fluff you can go with MoS raptors with 2 meltaguns I guess.

jsullivanlaw
17-08-2010, 23:24
I run a world eaters list and include basic chaos marines with icons of khorne as initiates (and of course give them meltaguns). I think you should go with Emp Chillins but include those iniates with meltaguns. That gives you your anti tank and also a higher model count. The chaos marine codex is about short range combat so don't try and play the ranged game too much as other codexes do it much better. I think you would probably have more fun with the EC rather than the black legion and if you really want to include something just do a speaker box conversion ect (and those dirge casters on the chaos rhino sprues are something to hold onto)

If you go the black legion route, just paint everything in black legion colours, it will look better.