PDA

View Full Version : Plastic is fantastic!!?!

Dooppie
16-08-2010, 07:33
Hi all,

More and more miniatures of Warhammer game become plastic instead of metal.
You all love too use plastic miniatures or you prefer metal ones?

Bloodknight
16-08-2010, 07:38
I like metal characters for their better and more flowing poses (plastic has the disadvantage of parts compatibility - everything has to fit), they look much more like they're all of a piece than plastic minis can. And the details are still better due to the possibility of undercuts with rubber moulds, which the metal moulds for plastic don't possess.

For troops I have begun to enjoy plastic more. Paint doesn't rub off of plastic and the models are lighter and thus easier to carry around. Also, the deficiencies of plastic moulds aren't that bad on mass models.

Freakiq
16-08-2010, 07:39
Plastic is by far superior.

Holds paint better, doesn't bend or break when dropped, easier to convert, cheaper and tend to include more optional bits

Gatsby
16-08-2010, 07:40
plastic, conversions are SO much easier and look better

Billy
16-08-2010, 07:48
Plastic is the way to go. They are usually more dynamic, cheaper, easier to assemble, and easier to paint (no sharp edges for paint to easily rub off of).

I vote plastic all the way! Sure you give up a little bit of detail, but the trade-off is well worth it.

Shield of Freedom
16-08-2010, 07:56
Lately GW has been doing wonders with detail on their plastic line. Soon, if not already, the "better detail" argument won't apply to metal miniatures anymore.

Definitely plastic for everything save for specific character models.

Fusion
16-08-2010, 08:01
I'm of the old school thought that metal minis just 'feel' better.

I love my metal dwarfs and all metal IG army. Good times, gents...those halcyon days of Marauder miniatures!

Grovel
16-08-2010, 08:17
I prefer plastic all the way, as it's easier to modify and holds together much better.

Maybe a lord choice or centrepiece as metal, but I'd take the rest as plastic any day - ESPECIALLY monsters/war machines. SSC, I'm looking at you.

Ivellis
16-08-2010, 08:21
I love plastic, converting it is a joy, and the way it holds paint is great. I don't mind metal though.

Gazak Blacktoof
16-08-2010, 08:31
I like plastic.

Unfortunately a large number of GW's plastic kits don't fit together all that well. The same is also true for a number of their multi-part metal kits too, and at least you can correct the plastic kits more easily.

chromedog
16-08-2010, 08:38
I prefer metal.
For the prices GW charge, it is easier to believe that they cast them in gold than other base metals.

Can't do that with plastics.

And to someone with the experience and tools, metal minis are almost as easy to convert as plastics. :D

Gazak Blacktoof
16-08-2010, 08:57
And to someone with the experience and tools, metal minis are almost as easy to convert as plastics. :D

Many metal models need extensive resculpts to convert because they often have their arms tucked against their bodies. It isn't the hardness of the material, but the pose of the models, that makes many of the metal models difficult to convert.

Misfratz
16-08-2010, 08:58
I'm of the old school thought that metal minis just 'feel' better.

I love my metal dwarfs and all metal IG army. Good times, gents...those halcyon days of Marauder miniatures!I also started playing when all metal armies were the norm and I agree that a unit of, say, 30 metal flagellants just feels more dangerous than their plastic equivalent, simply because of the weight.

Metal models also normally come in fewer pieces, which means it doesn't take me so long to get them ready for painting.

However, I also remember playing against my friend's horde of metal hormagaunts [they also doubled as a sensitive seismograph].

I think I'll just say that I like both. I wouldn't want there to be no more new metal miniatures.

freebooter
16-08-2010, 09:01
Gotta agree with Fusion on this one.
Metal feels better.

It's nicer to paint and much nicer to game with. Not to mention the sculpts are generally much better than anything I've seen in plastic. The only thing plastic really holds over metal is the price and the convertibility.

ashc
16-08-2010, 09:11
Depends on the miniature, my sentiments echo Bloodknight's.

Zestyfork
16-08-2010, 09:15
I believe Plastic is much better, im currently painting some some models, and its really annoying.

-Paint does not rub of on plastic.
-Plastic is easier to convert.

Citizen Lame
16-08-2010, 09:19
Plastic over metal any day. Everything just seems a lot easier, whether its converting, painting or moving around the gaming table.

Lorcryst
16-08-2010, 09:20
Hmmmm.

I like plastic for the rank-and-file, for example my ~200 Night Goblins ... easy to assemble, a dream to paint, and doesn't chip ...

But, I too started playing in the 'all metal' era, and I do miss the weight of metal models ... and I prefer it for character models, too.

Urgat
16-08-2010, 10:51
Hmmmm.

I like plastic for the rank-and-file, for example my ~200 Night Goblins ... easy to assemble, a dream to paint, and doesn't chip ...

But, I too started playing in the 'all metal' era, and I do miss the weight of metal models ... and I prefer it for character models, too.

Same. But, well, I prefer the older metals to the newer ones (by newer, I mean starting from end of 5th ed, begining of 6th). The "new" slick, (well, lead free I guess, so can't help it, gotta think of the retards who like to lick their minis) shiny metal is really not as good as the old old one, where your paint wouldn't chip like as easily and so on. Only thing I didn't like back then is all those super thin parts (standard poles) that would bend because of a fly's fart.

Lorcryst
16-08-2010, 10:53
Oh yes, the "new" White Metal can be a pain ... I still have a bunch of old minis made in lead, corroded by the passage of time ... must get my **** in gear and paint them sometime ...

Desert Rain
16-08-2010, 11:03
I prefer plastic for troops but generally I prefer metal for characters. Especially BSBs since my plastic High Elves one is prone to fall over as soon as I move his unit.

CrownAxe
16-08-2010, 11:16
I like building with plastic much more then pewter since it's easier to work with.

But I enjoy the weight of pewter when I'm in games since they don't topple over easily and feel solid.

Zark the Damned
16-08-2010, 11:39
I'm in the 'plastic for units, metal for characters' crowd. I don't want to be lugging around a ton of metal to play a game!

macmusic22
16-08-2010, 11:40
I'd have to agree with some people with liking the 'feel' of metal mini's. Especially my characters. I like them to be metal...for some reason the dice just roll better for my metal mini's lol

Memnos
16-08-2010, 11:42
Plastic is easier to build, easier to paint, easier to convert, chips less and is less breakable.

I love my Gulavhar model, but it falls apart in a stiff wind and that's with pinning.

2theDeath
16-08-2010, 11:43

Holds paint better, doesn't bend or break when dropped, easier to convert, cheaper and tend to include more optional bits

I totaly agree 100% with what this man says:D

Luthor
16-08-2010, 13:57
I like metal for anything other than core troops, unless they look amazingly good (the new Cold One Knights). It just feels so much nicer.

Earthbeard
16-08-2010, 14:11
I prefer plastic, I don't like to leave models un-altered in some way and plastic makes this so much easier for me.

Spoik
16-08-2010, 14:38
Plastic is superior in every way when it comes to meeting my hobby needs.

The 'new' white metal might as well be adamantium for how easy is it to work with.

Aluinn
16-08-2010, 16:27
I actually prefer plastic in all cases and will go out of my way to convert or find substitutes for plastic characters if possible. My Empire army is 100% plastic and I love it.

I'd go into reasons but I think all that has been covered. A few years ago I may have agreed on the metal-for-characters thing, due to higher detail, but I truly think GW has reached the point where the detail on their plastics is just as fine as that on metals.

The only problem is that Citadel plastics are improving so rapidly, not all units in plastic are of comparable quality right now (see HE Spearmen/Archers, Dogman - err, *Skaven* Night Runners, etc.). Once everything is up to the standard of this latest generation of models, though, I think it will all mesh pretty nicely for some time--and, to be fair, some of the older kits like Orc/Ork Boyz, Space Marines, and Eldar Guardians are still looking nice or only very slightly dated.

UberBeast
16-08-2010, 16:44
Resin. I've got an all forgeworld Krieg army and the detail is amazing. You just can't get that with plastic or pewter.

ashc
16-08-2010, 19:55
The 'new' white metal might as well be adamantium for how easy is it to work with.

That's because you only have eight minutes to work with it before it sets forever :D

DarkstarSabre
16-08-2010, 20:03
I'm in the 'plastic for units, metal for characters' crowd. I don't want to be lugging around a ton of metal to play a game!

Ditto. Though, to be honest I like the fact that the newer plastic characters have that many more options in general and give you more spares to play with.

I also feel that some things (monsters mainly) would benefit a hell of a lot from being made in plastic as opposed to metal (I'm looking at you DE Hydra).

Jetty Smurf
16-08-2010, 20:27
I also feel that some things (monsters mainly) would benefit a hell of a lot from being made in plastic as opposed to metal (I'm looking at you DE Hydra).

I didn't get a chance to play with the old stegadon (a good thing for me, I hear), but the new steg is a DREAM to assemble!

I love plastics. They are just easier in general. The detail on hero models is definitely nice, but beyond heroes, I am of the opinion that everything else should be plastic.

Orangecoke
16-08-2010, 20:41
I love the new plastic stuff from GW so much I get downright annoyed when I have to deal with a metal model. I hate hunting for all the tiny flash and then discovering I missed one halfway through painting. There are a ton of other reasons but basically I'm all about plastic now.

jedideinos
16-08-2010, 21:13
Plastic wins out for converting, ease of assembly, but... there's something about the satisfying thunk as you place a metal dreadnought on the table that the plastic one jsut doesn' have.

TheKingInYellow
16-08-2010, 21:19
Gotta go plastic, especially on big models. I don't mind doing the green stiff/pinning/super glue dance on metals, but I still don't trust them to hold together when a model gets knocked over on the table.

HE Dragon kit, Carnifexes, Stegs, built them all and the plastic kits are just great.

Haravikk
16-08-2010, 22:59
I generally prefer plastic for the customisation, reduced expense, and relative durability. It is however trickier to work with if you want to avoid damage from the glue (finger-prints, bah!). With the Island of Blood you can really see just how detailed plastic can now get, so while metal probably still can have a bit more detail, there's not much in it!

Metal is however a joy to paint on as it's much easier somehow to keep the paint thin, and it seems easier to add green stuff to for more complex tasks than simple patch jobs.

I think I'd probably still like characters in metal, however some of the little dual hero boxes are really brilliant, so metal miniatures do only edge up in more and more specific areas these days.

Toshiro
16-08-2010, 23:01
Plastic any day.

I really hope for some plastic stone trolls now

Korthos the all-seeing
16-08-2010, 23:08
Plastic is absolutely best. Converting is fun, yes! Now i only buy metal models when they have awesome details that is hard to convert. Like the faceless tzeentch sorcerer.

One day in wish for plastic vostroyans and new more warhammer online-ish marauders.

txamil
17-08-2010, 01:19
Plastic because of conversion ability.

Hjiryon
17-08-2010, 03:02
Metal all the way.
Plastic is getting more detailed, sure, but it still does not hold a candle to a well-made metal mini. That said, most of these "well made metal minis" are not produced by GW - and it's not like I care about detail on core troops much anyway.

If I could pick my materials, it would be:
Monsters and large stuff in Resin.
Special, Rare and characters cavalry size and down: Metal.
Core: Plastic.

someone2040
17-08-2010, 05:25
I didn't get a chance to play with the old stegadon (a good thing for me, I hear), but the new steg is a DREAM to assemble!

I love plastics. They are just easier in general. The detail on hero models is definitely nice, but beyond heroes, I am of the opinion that everything else should be plastic.
To be honest, I think the old Steg was fine when I put mine together years ago (back at the end of 5th/start of 6th). That was when I was like 13 years old, so it couldn't have been that painful. Maybe the mould was starting to get some wear and tear *shrugs*.
That being said, I do agree that the new Stegadon is really simple and a pleasure to put together.

Personally I'm in the plastic crowd. I enjoy metal characters, and because I enjoy painting single miniatures I put the time into finishing it up properly and all (I would always varnish metal mini's though, regardless). Units not so much, as you do really need to put in that extra effort to avoid paint chipping, rubbing, etc while painting the mini, and having to do that for a unit of 20 is a pain in the ass.

So yeah, in the plastic for everything but characters crowd. Plastic is also much easier to convert with, which is a big plus.

ChrisIronBrow
17-08-2010, 05:39

Unless of course your like me. I live in Arizona. It's 115 F. everyday in the summer, I dare you to compare a plastic mini and a metal one left in a car at that temperature, oh, and make sure you don't like the plastic mini, otherwise you'll cry.

Voss
17-08-2010, 05:58

All this. Plus the joys of not pinning.
And of course, these days, the detail gap between metal and plastic is fairly small.

ftayl5
17-08-2010, 06:53
Plastic gets my vote. I used to be rather impartial as many metal models had more detail than plastic ones, but I think the Plastics have now caught up.
They not break, chip, need pinning or weigh a tonne. They hold paint well and are much easier to convert and kitbash with. AND plastic glue is cheaper than superglue :)

Lordsaradain
17-08-2010, 09:14
I love plastic. It's much easier and fun to build, and allows for alot more conversion possibilities.

Zestyfork
17-08-2010, 09:29
Another thing I forgot to mention...

I find that if a metals models "extensions" (Long Sword, Spear, Flag, etc) bend, it is really hard to try to bend it back to its original shape.

Damocles8
17-08-2010, 15:21
I don't mind metal Special Characters; but I prefer everything else in plastic.....can't wait for some updated Bret kits.....

chilledenuff
17-08-2010, 16:04
I like plastic to work with.. I like the weight of metals, so all of my plastics have weights in the bases to make them feel nice and substantial.

Ymir
17-08-2010, 16:24
I absolutely HATE painting metal, it's so absurdly hard to pull it of without the paint falling off before you're even finished. Plastic is superior in every way except details, so I guess metal are ok for character models. For all other things, I really, really prefer plastics.

Blinder
17-08-2010, 18:21
Generally, if it's 1 piece, I prefer metal (feels better, generally has more detail*). If it's multi-part I'll deal with metal for small stuff (stuff like knights, which have reasonably straightforward, reasonably hidden joins that don't have to worry too much about breaking even if you drop on a short distance) but for anything bigger than a "dude" I'm in the plastic camp. While some of the larger metal models CAN fit together quite well if they don't match up right for some reason it can be a LOT harder to "make it fit" than with plastic, and they are much more inclined to fall apart under their own weight.

* While plastic miniatures are quite capable of having just as many "little details" as metal, they often *don't* have them. Also, GW seems to like to give you a lot of flavor bits to stick on things, but they seem to end up suffering from "floaty sword syndrome" unless you greenstuff a lot. Great, if you're really into conversions, not so great if you're more interested in and/or capable of the painting side of the hobby.

BobtheInquisitor
18-08-2010, 00:45
Plastic. I very rarely buy metal minis unless the model is completely awesome. Usually I like to make adjustments to my models or even convert them from many parts, so metal is quite annoying to me.

Little Joe
18-08-2010, 11:22
I will vote plastics for reasons of converting and affordability.

But redoing an old plastic army is no option, it's of to eBay. At least metals can be cleaned decently of paint to get it up to my new and better standards.

Also the modelling needs to be taken into account. I am thinking O&G here, the old wacky look or dumb faced trolls just make you laugh. The new ones are too generic, so you need to get a conversion done. Not a problem in many armies I admit. But lately I find that I don't like 50% of the new plastics they bring out. I did get a good laugh from the new IOB skaven flame thrower, but the ogres look weird and overmuscled to me.