PDA

View Full Version : Beastman Goodies from Maelstrom

lordlorien
16-08-2010, 15:28
Well basically what the topic says:

- Maelstrom did a beautiful commission work for the 2010 ETC couple weeks ago as a give away for the participants and attendees. It was a Beastman BSB with a rather nice bannerpole and fits the Avatars of War Beastman hero pretty well. While Games Workshop unfortunately forgot to produce a decent BSB (apart from the convert Bestigor thing) I find it a very nice substitution ;).

- Also they got a 40k dude Imperial / WWIITommy crossover pretty nice too.
Both had some pieces left and I just found em on their webstore. Just wanted to let you know.

- Also they seem to have started their own Model line called Banebeasts. They started as it seems with a Resin Model for Cygor, Ghorgor, and Jabberwoky. So basically all the missing Modells from the Beastman book. I am not 100 % in favor with all the Modells myself but the Jabber looks pretty nice IMO.

Ok hope it is ok to post non GW news here too, since this seems to be a very Warhammer oriented release ;).

Disclaimer: I am not in any way connected to Maelstrom Games ... well accept for being a customer.

Edit: Sorry can't link to Page since my Laptop Webwashes it :shifty: ... you find the models when you click the news article about the 2 tournaments stuff and at the bottom you get all the above models as links.

Hragged
16-08-2010, 16:31
Here's a link to the page mentioned above:
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=new&ref=190

GodlessM
16-08-2010, 17:02
The link says they were on display not that they gave one to every participant.

Scryer in the Darkness
16-08-2010, 17:10
Here's a link to the page mentioned above:
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=new&ref=190

And here's a link to the (one of) the sculptor's project log here on WarSeer, some seriously interesting work in there besides the Banebeasts models:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4906301#post4906301

Like the Jabberwock most of all myself, although the side view (on Maelstrom's site) makes it more dragon-like whereas the front-on view in the cabinet shot I thought it was going to be closer to the ye olde "bucktoothed" critter Jabberwock image... which I prefer.

lordlorien
16-08-2010, 17:12
The Teams got 9 models each (Beastman BSB or Tommy) for their chosen game system (WFB or W40k) as far as I know and since team is 8 plus captain everyone got one of the minis. If you went there just for the fun of it or the Sideevent you could buy them. The Biggies were only on Showcase I think. Hope that clears it up ;).

Scryer in the Darkness
16-08-2010, 17:43
While it is a great effort, the Cyclops is the weakest of the three big guys IMO... and MaxMini pretty much nailed it with their recent Cyclops model for my tastes:

CplHicks
16-08-2010, 18:01
Well, he is just like half the size though (Luckily less then half the price as well). Still a very good model.

I do like them a lot and just realized from those above pictures how huge they are. Very nice. :D Not my army yet but definitly well with considering. If you can put up with the price which in itself likely is absolutely reasonable.

El Antiguo Guardián
16-08-2010, 18:43
Are the beastmen miniatures special edition?
They are great, i like the Oxogre. But in this moment i can´t buy that mini, and i like to know if i can buy one of that miniatures another mont.

Toddums
16-08-2010, 18:53
That cyclops is awesome!

Nocculum
16-08-2010, 18:57
The Battle Standard Bearer is quite possibly the sexiest Beastmen model ever (with the exception of Malagor!)

El Antiguo Guardián
16-08-2010, 19:01
But the banebeast aren´t limited edition, no?

Avian
16-08-2010, 19:57
Heard about these on the Heelanhammer podcast and I must say I expected something more impressive.

El Antiguo Guardián
16-08-2010, 19:58
The jabberlock y... amazing. But i don´t like so much the cyclops.

Toddums
16-08-2010, 21:01
The cyclops is awesome, jabberwock just looks like a dragon and doesn't tickle my fantasy bone

Urgat
16-08-2010, 21:09
They got very nice poses, all of them, but they seriously lack details imho. I went from "wow" when looking at the thumbnail to "mmh" when seeing the jabberwock large shot.

Gazak Blacktoof
16-08-2010, 22:47
Heard about these on the Heelanhammer podcast and I must say I expected something more impressive.

As did I. I must say though that the pics on the maelstrom site are pretty crappy compared with those in the log Scryer linked to.

I'm also going to have to agree with Urgat regarding the detailing (and the posing)- I too would prefer a bit more texture on such large models. The cyclops in particular (although nice looking) doesn't make best use of the resin as a medium, which is great at producing lots of crisp detailing. That's not to say that the sculpting and casting of the detailing on the model isn't great, but it's too sparse IMO.

someone2040
17-08-2010, 02:13
Inclined to agree. The Cyclops linked in the thread is great.
I like the Jabberwock pose, but it's not quite what I'd think of as a Jabberslythe (not without having seen the other side of the mini anyway).
Overall, pretty pricey as well. They cost more than Azhag the Slaughterer. This is why GW makes most of their large models in plastic these days.

strewart
17-08-2010, 03:26
Wow, I think they are pretty cool models. And yeah the BSB is the best, very awesome.

Wintermute
17-08-2010, 09:58
I'm moving this thread to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Games New & Rumours forum.

Wintermute

CplHicks
17-08-2010, 12:39
Only the BSB seems to be limited.

Memnos
17-08-2010, 12:43
YAAH! Cyclops... So... Spindly.

That model is hideous. The face, I love. It's got character.

The body is, frantically, terrible. It's like someone saw the GW Giant and said 'Hey! I bet a lot of people like spindly, flaccid-bellied freaks. Let's make the Cyclops like that, only MORE spindly and MORE flaccid-bellied!'

Horrible.

And the Oxogre is spindly, too. I want my monsters to look more like they're about to tear something up rather than they're running from gym class to keep from being wedgied.

EDIT: I just saw the Jabberwock. Decent, but nothing special. Love the dynamic pose. Detail needs work. Nothing to complain about here: Solid design and if you like simple models for centerpieces because you want a blank canvas to add your own work, it's definitely decent.

Scryer in the Darkness
17-08-2010, 14:06
Well, he is just like half the size though (Luckily less then half the price as well).
Yes, as they always say - size matters. :D

Do you reckon the Maelstrom Cyclops is on a 50mm square base? It's always slightly hard to tell the 40mm and 50mm apart without some other GW model/base right next to them. Seems to match up with the chariot base on the Oxgore in the cabinet shot but perspective with hasty digital camera shots can be deceiving. If it's on a 50mm, that makes it about 120mm head height. If it's 40mm, then it's about 95mm. The MaxMini one is 75mm supposedly. Here's another pic of it WIP with some human skulls that might help show scale better. Why can't people/companies include other models in their shots to show scale! Or at least a silhouette like some clever clogs do. ;) EDIT - Or you know, a ruler. :rolleyes:

Memnos
17-08-2010, 15:07
That cyclops is gorgeous, Scryer. Is that something you've made? It's fantastic.

Truly top notch. That guy looks like someone is about to get a beatdown.

Scryer in the Darkness
17-08-2010, 15:10
That cyclops is gorgeous, Scryer. Is that something you've made? It's fantastic.
LOL I wish! No, some talented European somewhere in, well, Europe I suspect. :D MaxMini is based in Poland (if I recall correctly, and I might not) but I think they have sculptors from other European countries too.

Sven_Killabearski
17-08-2010, 22:19
Actually, this sculpt was done by an American, who happens to have a Polish name.

lordlorien
18-08-2010, 06:28
Scryer, I really like that cyclops you posted but talking about sizes ... it kinda looks like minotaur size, maximum the size of the metal minotaur lord. If that is correct I think it is quite a lil too small for my taste. It should be about the hight of the GW Giant really. But maybe my judging is far off :). Would be nice if you could give us an idea how he compares to a GW mini since I am not too good at extrapolating from skulls ;). Otherwise he is pretty awesome.

Thanks in advance

bananaman
18-08-2010, 08:10
The Maelstrom ane Beasts Cyclops is 105mm to his erm..... eye.

He's 163mm to the tippy top of the rock in his left hand.

Scryer in the Darkness
18-08-2010, 09:00
Actually, this sculpt was done by an American, who happens to have a Polish name.
Now that I've had a bit of a search you are quite right. Though it's not obvious, as he doesn't have his location on his wordpress page or on this Troll Forged forum profile. I eventually found his Resume on his portfolio site:

http://www.grabowskiart.com/adam/

Scryer, I really like that cyclops you posted but talking about sizes ... it kinda looks like minotaur size, maximum the size of the metal minotaur lord. If that is correct I think it is quite a lil too small for my taste. It should be about the hight of the GW Giant really. But maybe my judging is far off :).

In the Cygor artwork it stands about two and a half times the height of a man and is more upright than the MaxMini model, so the model being ~75mm is about right in that regard (although according to his portfolio page, it's more like 70mm). But when it comes to creating new models you also have to take into account the existing range. I think fluff-wise the Cygor should tower over the rest of the Beastmen army, but not Giant height personally. Of course anyone wanting a Giant-sized Cygor can go for the Maelstrom one. ;)

So I tend to agree that the MaxMini one is probably just a smidgen too small, which is a shame because it is otherwise an excellent sculpt with some great head options. But we really need to see it alongside some other models.

Here's a couple more pics of the sculpt from his portfolio with the alternate heads attached:
94701 94702 94703 94704

Would be nice if you could give us an idea how he compares to a GW mini since I am not too good at extrapolating from skulls ;). Otherwise he is pretty awesome.
I don't actually know anything about the model besides what I've seen online, but if it is 70mm to the top of the head as stated in the portfolio, then that puts him a head taller than the GW Doombull, with of course his arms and rock held well up above that.

bananaman
18-08-2010, 09:23
Here's some scale shots of the minis so you can see how large they are.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Jabber_scale.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Gor_scale.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/cyclops_scale.jpg

Scryer in the Darkness
18-08-2010, 09:51
Here's some scale shots of the minis so you can see how large they are.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Jabber_scale.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Gor_scale.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/cyclops_scale.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for that. So the Maelstrom Cyclops is indeed ~120mm. Looks like 117mm including the height of the base.

Scryer in the Darkness
18-08-2010, 10:19
So here's a rough comparison using the 70mm quoted for the height of the MaxMini one. It's only rough as we only have an oblique shot of the MaxMini one to work with, not a "ground level" one. And we don't know where on the head the "70mm" is to... or even what head. So it's precise height could likely vary depending on the angle and base, etc.

Daemonslave
18-08-2010, 10:53

Now that I've had a bit of a search you are quite right. Though it's not obvious, as he doesn't have his location on his wordpress page or on this Troll Forged forum profile. I eventually found his Resume on his portfolio site:

http://www.grabowskiart.com/adam/

I think Sven_Killabearski is the sculptor in question. :p

Scryer in the Darkness
18-08-2010, 11:12
I think Sven_Killabearski is the sculptor in question. :p

LOL, I didn't take any notice of the WarSeer username! :D Adam! Be more obvious! :D :p I guess you could also nail exactly the scale of your Cyclops for us. :yes: EDIT - If you happen to have a "ground level" shot of it you might be able to photoshop into my comparison pic above, that would be several shades of awesome. :yes:

lordlorien
18-08-2010, 15:14
Thank you for the work you put in there Scryer ;). Greatly appreciated! I am about to finish my Beastman army atm and only got Giant and Spawns as Rare choices so far since my modeling skills are on gapefixing lvl ;). So was still looking / waiting for Bannerbearer (which I now got) and some big guys. Actually the picture used for size comparison makes the Maelstrom cyclops look better than I originally expected. Unfortunately it is not painted. Same shades and a little freehanding could go a huge way and make the mini look quite nice. At that price I guess I wait with one of them till they post pictures of a painted version.

I still wonder why GW did not do a combined Cygor / Ghorgor kit really. I think it could well be done assuming you use same height for both models. And since there are not many models that size around in plastic it would be a good scource for conversion bits too and therefore would have attracted beastman players same as general chaos players and maybe a few others. Oh well I guess they wanted to keep it on hold for a separate wave release. But still pretty strange to make new army book entries and leave the models for indi's to make...

Scryer in the Darkness
18-08-2010, 15:25
I still wonder why GW did not do a combined Cygor / Ghorgor kit really. I think it could well be done assuming you use same height for both models. And since there are not many models that size around in plastic it would be a good scource for conversion bits too and therefore would have attracted beastman players same as general chaos players and maybe a few others.

I think the simple answer is that they expected people to use the Giant kit. There's been a shift in GW policy of late of simply adding in new big creatures/vehicles to Army Books and just leaving it to customers to convert them themselves. There's literally a limit to how many large kits GW can slot into their release schedule for a given year, and there is always a flow on sales effect when people buy Giant kits or whatever else to use as a base for their conversions. Although of course, we have also seen an explosion in third party companies producing resin models to fill the gaps. ;)

I personally don't think the Ghorgor and Cygor should be combined kits. The latter should be smaller and weedier than the first in my opinion as it pretty much has the physical stats of a Doombull.

Though I certainly agree - and said so at the time - that Beastmen were missing a "big kit" from their release, whereas Tyranids got their Trygon (which can be cannibalised for Tervigon/Tyrannofex) and Skaven got their Screaming Bell and Doomwheel (which can be cannibalised for Plagueclaw Catapults) .

Oh well I guess they wanted to keep it on hold for a separate wave release.
A large Beastmen kit may not have been ready in time (happens occasionally) or it could've simply been "pushed aside" by other kits such as the Screaming Bell and/or Doomwheel which were to replace existing large metal kits, which is something GW prioritise. Not necessarily over new releases, but is certainly high on their priorities nonetheless.

Sven_Killabearski
18-08-2010, 19:11
Yes, I am the sculptor, but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the cyclops with a ruler or other miniature for scale comparison. The 70mm to top of head mentioned on my site is probably inaccurate, as it was part of the original design briefing, and I never actually measured the completed sculpt. I also don't have a cast yet that I can measure. It's probably closer to 75 mm to the top of the non-horned head. Next time, I'll remember to get some final, accurate measurements/ do a scale comparison shot. But I'm glad most of you like it!

Przemas
18-08-2010, 19:52
being the lazy git I'll quote the webstore:
"Height to the top of the head - around 75mm (3 inches).
Total height - around 95 mm (~4,7 inches).
Fits 40mm square base."
When compared to most popular minis it's somewhere between minotaur and giant.
Beacuse of some tricky Polish laws regarding ads I try to avoid showing our models next to someone others without proper consent from the other side :D .
When I'll sort things that piled during my trip to GenCon I'll make a pic of the cyclops next to our guardsman sniper though :) .

@Adam: You did a great job mate. I hope the package with your copy will reach you soon :) . Let me know when it does :)

Scryer in the Darkness
18-08-2010, 20:14
When I'll sort things that piled during my trip to GenCon I'll make a pic of the cyclops next to our guardsman sniper though :)
Thanks, although a ruler is just as good if not better, as few of us will have seen your guardsman sniper in the flesh. Because while height estimates are handy, what most people need to see is exactly how big something is, either next to a known model or some kind of a measured scale. :)

bananaman
19-08-2010, 09:28
Actually the picture used for size comparison makes the Maelstrom cyclops look better than I originally expected. Unfortunately it is not painted. Same shades and a little freehanding could go a huge way and make the mini look quite nice. At that price I guess I wait with one of them till they post pictures of a painted version.

Hi - the Cyclops mini has just been sent to a German painter called Ben Komets (French GD Slayer Sword and multi GD statuette winner) for painting - it will take a while but the pics should be up in October. We have other top painters in the pipeline to work on the range. I must say that still pics don't do the cyclops justice - he's an excellent piece Sean Green has done a cracking job. For anyone in the vicinity of Mansfield, Notts, UK we have the minis in our bricks and mortar store for you to look at up close and personal.

The release has been put up a little earlier than we anticipated - basically we wanted to sell them at the ETC as a special suprise for the players there as we sponsor the event and love the ETC. AFterwards however we have been inundated with requests to put them on general sale so we have added to our site, as a bit of a 'soft launch' so to speak.

In a few months (before Xmas) expect a flash dedicated website - painted pics of the Cyclops, Ox-Gore and Jabberwocky plus at least 3 more releases (including sculpts by Sean Green, Alan Carasco and Alex Huntley - plus one more suprise sculptor TBC), artwork by Neil Roberts & Stef Kopinski plus other tasty little suprises for the main launch.

That's all I can say for now - suffice to say that there's a lot to come from Bane Beasts!

Xmas 2010 - the year of the Beast!

Many thanks

Tim Fisher
www.maelstromgames.co.uk

Scryer in the Darkness
19-08-2010, 10:13
<Tasty tidbits>

Xmas 2010 - the year of the Beast!
Thanks for the news Tim, very exciting - look forward to it! :yes:

Just a question - do alternate heads exist or possibly going to be made, I'm primarily thinking for the Cyclops and Jabberwock? Also just while I have you here - I know the Tommy figure was limited but any chance of an alternate sculpt or even an entire squad in the future?

lordlorien
19-08-2010, 11:09
Yes thank's a lot for the news Tim. I am anxiously awaiting my BSB atm though I guess mail will still take a little to arrive ;). I really hope the BaneBeasts work out for you guys. I was always a little jealous of the 40k players with all the Forgeworld awesomeness they had and am now cheerfully awaiting if you can probably give us fantasy players/collectors something similar to work with. Even though the rumors stated several times that Forgeworld is supposed to do some more Fantasy stuff in the future there hasn't been announced or seen a lot of it yet. Oh well doesn't really matter who does the great minis as long as they come ;).

And a little off-topic: Even though I didn't participate at ETC since I only really restarted the hobby a good 8 or so months ago and am not in tournament shape yet (meaning the side event here not the team ;)) I think it is great that you supported a tournament kinda far away from your home turf really. And from what I've been seeing on the net it seems to have been a huge success overall. I kinda hope to be able to play first tournaments come autumn around with a freshly painted Beastman army. And who knows maybe I make it to the side event in Switzerland next year since their proposal looks absolutely stunning.

strewart
19-08-2010, 12:21
I'll be keen to see them painted and see what else is coming! I'm not a beastman player but I couldn't resist slipping that beast BSB into my order yesterday, look forward to seeing it in person.

Scryer in the Darkness
19-08-2010, 14:18
I'm not a beastman player but I couldn't resist slipping that beast BSB into my order yesterday, look forward to seeing it in person.
It is a seriously good model isn't it? I was never going to buy it, but I must admit the nerve endings in my mouse-clicking hand did, for a moment, begin to speculate about the merest possibility of maybe, perhap, moving towards the 'BUY' box. ;)

Have you checked out the sculptor's project log that I linked to on the first page?

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229660

Some seriously good stuff in there, in fact it could be said that these big beasts he did for Maelstrom aren't even his best work! :eek:

strewart
20-08-2010, 01:14
I hadn't had a look yet, but having a quick flick through now I certainly recognise some of the models from other places so his work is familiar to me. It is indeed very nice.

bananaman
14-09-2010, 08:04
I actually painted something!

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/ox_side.jpg

Gragh!
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Ox_face.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/oxfront.jpg

He's a big bugger - that's a 50mm x 100mm base I've put him on. It's from Maelstrom's new Bane Beast range - They're large resin miniatures http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=cat&cre=min-mae&sou=cat

There's a Verminous Horror on the way next week too! :twisted:

Scryer in the Darkness
14-09-2010, 12:49
Sweet. Looks great. Any chance we can get a reverse angle?

bananaman
18-09-2010, 08:45
Up for pre-order now, released next week.

Here's a few sneaky peeks of the Horror!

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/front_quarter.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/skin-tear.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/head_detail.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/front_split.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Back_detail3.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Back_detail2.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Back_detail.jpg

10 piece resin kit sculpted by Alex Huntley, available here http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=cat&cre=min-mae-bnb

Scryer in the Darkness
18-09-2010, 09:22
Here's a few sneaky peeks of the Horror!
Very nice, though the sculpting looks a little rough for my liking... more like an artist's clay rendition than a finely sculpted wargaming model. I'll wait to see a painted pic though.

Satan
18-09-2010, 10:55
I really liked that one. Definitively considering purchase!

I actually painted something!

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/ox_side.jpg

Gragh!
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Ox_face.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/oxfront.jpg

He's a big bugger - that's a 50mm x 100mm base I've put him on. It's from Maelstrom's new Bane Beast range - They're large resin miniatures http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=cat&cre=min-mae&sou=cat

There's a Verminous Horror on the way next week too! :twisted:

strewart
19-09-2010, 04:48
Have to agree with Scryer, it almost looks unfinished in the finer details. My first reaction was wow though, looks good overall.

Also, I imagine anyone who was going to buy it already has anyway, but my Beastmen BSB arrived last week and I have to say it is a huge model! Bigger than most beastmen, he easily dwarfs the saurus warriors I have on my desk. In fact, to the top of his head he is taller than the IoB rat ogres. Would stand out very impressively in a beastmen army.

bananaman
20-09-2010, 14:59
The pics of the Verminous Horror aren't doing him justice at the mo - I picked the casts up on Fri afternoon, got them ack, assembled one and then primered him grey for the pics - it was a little cold though and I didn't warm up the can enough (schoolboy error) so the paint went on quite thick and has blocked out detail and made him look a little grainy - I'll have some painted pics up - hopefully by the weekend to show him off in his full glory.

In the meantime..........

Photo boy Stu has been messing about with the Ox Gore today and has done a few scale shots.

The other mini in the shot is the AoW Goblin King, about Orc height.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Gor_scale4.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Gor_scale3.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Gor_scale2.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/Gor_scale1.jpg

He's working on a 360 as well.

bananaman
20-09-2010, 14:59
Here are some pics of the Verm Horror "green"

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/WarplockM/IMG_6309.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/WarplockM/IMG_6310.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/WarplockM/IMG_6312.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/WarplockM/IMG_6313.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/WarplockM/IMG_6316.jpg

Sarevok
26-09-2010, 22:43
whats the plans for this mini line? just big monsters? just plugging gaps in GWs range?

ecwh070
29-09-2010, 04:04
I just saw this... is the BSB still for sale? I can't find it on the Maelstrom website anymore

mrtn
03-10-2010, 10:38
I just saw this... is the BSB still for sale? I can't find it on the Maelstrom website anymore

I think it sold out.

bananaman
12-10-2010, 13:11
Here's the painted pics of the Verminous Horror - you might recognise the work - it's painted by TWF's very own Old Fogey! (AKA Paul Whittaker)

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/front_quarter_painted2_resize.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/front_quarter_painted_resize.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/side2_resize.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/workings_resize.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/top_workings_resize.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/side_resize.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/side_painted_resize.jpg

Miniature in this instance has been mounted on a 60x100 base. Miniature available to buy here

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mae_mae_bnb_mon_004_000

Satan
12-10-2010, 19:41
Now that one is really nice! Any chance of pictures of painted cyclops?

strewart
13-10-2010, 01:10
I agree, very awesome paintjob really makes the model look great!

bananaman
13-10-2010, 11:48
Now that one is really nice! Any chance of pictures of painted cyclops?

He's in the post - hopefully have studio photo job by the end of the week.

The Cyclops paintjob is jaw dropping.

Scryer in the Darkness
13-10-2010, 16:03
Some more gribblys from Maelstrom:

Vermin Fiend

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/store_maelstromgames/images_product/mae_mae_bnb_mon_006_000_01_large.jpg

Link - http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mae_mae_bnb_mon_006_000#

Rotten Demon Lord

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/store_maelstromgames/images_product/mae_mae_bnb_mon_005_000_01_large.jpg

Link - http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mae_mae_bnb_mon_005_000#

The Vermin Fiend is an exceptionally nice sculpt. :yes:

bananaman
13-10-2010, 16:39
Here's some more pics

Here's the Vermin Fiend Banebeast.

These pics are of the finished 'green' we will put pics of the resin up once we get the first pre-production casts.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/verminfiendfinal1.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/verminfiendfinal2.jpg

He's 80mm tall to the eyes, and will fit on a 50x50mm base. Sculpted by Allan Carrasco.

Up for pre-order here (released 4th Dec) http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mae_mae_bnb_mon_006_000#

Also up for pre-order is the Rotten Lord (featured on a 50mm sq base - not included).

These pics are of the first re-production resin casts. Miniature sculpted by Alex 'Warplock Monkey' Huntley.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/rottenDemon_front.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/scale_1.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/back.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/maelstromgames/****.jpg

Yup, those are maggots in his nut sack.

Pre-order here (released 4th Dec) http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mae_mae_bnb_mon_005_000

strewart
14-10-2010, 00:54
Very cool! That vermin fiend looks awesome.

bananaman
14-10-2010, 09:09
There is also a 15% off voucher at the mo with Maelstrom Games, enter EARLY-CHRISTMAS at the checkout stage and the cost is reduced by 15% saving you £9 on either of these sculpts , Verminous Horror or the Cyclops and over a tenner on the Jabberwock and Ox-Gore minis.

bananaman
14-10-2010, 12:08
Good news on the price points guys, got the green off today and he'll come in cheaper to cast up than we thought.

Therefore the RRP has been dropped to £50. If you enter the EARLY-CHRISTMAS voucher before Monday the 18th of October the 15% discount will bring him down to £42.50!

Satan
14-10-2010, 19:15
That Vermin fiend banebeast is a beatuy!

Good thing about the Ox-gore. I might need to get me one...

Verm1s
14-10-2010, 21:20
I agree with Scryer about the verminous horror - too crude and unfinished for my liking. I don't think the bland watery paintjob does it many favours either. Looks like some very old, very used dishwater was poured over it. :shifty:

Same problem with the rotten lord, especially noticeable in the, er... close up. Lookit the texture, the folds in the back of the legs, and the puckered skin around the sores. It looks like the sculptor's just discovered polymer clay and got all excited about using it for a big project, but hasn't gained (or forgot) the discipline to smooth out the tool marks, squashed bits, flakes, edges, gouges, and crumbs.
Or worse, thinks that all adds to the effect. I've seen that rationalisation used too many times in putty, though it's more understandable for a sculpting newbie converting up his own Death Guard. In this case: no little Jimmy, it doesn't look like diseased flesh. It just looks like bad sculpting.
And go with the rusty sheriff's badge and maggoty nuts if that's what makes you titter nervously. But the infestation seems just a little too localised for any other intended effect.

The vermin fiend is very well sculpted. Problem is, all that subtle, realistic proportion, musculature and general anatomy might be a bit too well sculpted to visually fit with the cartoony, angular look a certain ratman race adopted recently. :p But taken by itself, it's excellent.
Except the tusks. Those look ridiculous. Like he's gone to the dentist and had cotton rolls shoved in his cheeks. Or worse. (http://www.globalhealthandfitness.com/bleach%20bright/Cheek%20Retractor%20Pictures.jpg)
And Druss called. He wants Snaga back.

__Vermis - peeing in your cornflakes since 2001.__