PDA

View Full Version : New edition worth it for non competive players?

Wolfroar
16-08-2010, 19:56
Hi guys,

Since this summer is so rainy, my brother and I are making preparations to continue work on our armies again. I see that the 8th edition has been released and tested. What I read is that you guys think the new rules plays faster than the old?

I'm doubting to get the new book. We dont do competitive games in GW stores, just some tabletop gaming on cold winterdays with some beer and chips. Can someone convince me to get the new book, or not to get it and stick with my 6th edition rules?

Thnx.

lowix
16-08-2010, 20:05
8th ed advantages:
1. If you have rules questions you can post them on forms, if you were to ask a 6th question you may have a hard time getting answers.
2. If you decide you do want to play in a tournament at a store or one of the bigger ones then you'll need 8th.
3. If you want to play with someone beside your brother you'll have an easier time finding an opponent.
4. I think 8th is a better game than 6th but this can be very subjective.
5. In 7th (and I think in 6th depending on which army book you use) there was a clear army power. In 8th from what I can tell everything is more even. Some armies are still more powerful, but a game of Orcs vs Demons isn't an auto loose anymore. The Orcs may even have an advantage depending on how the army is build and the generals’ skill.

If I was you; I would wait till the starter set gets released and people start selling the smaller book cheap. Then pick one up and start reading though it.

SamVimes
16-08-2010, 20:09
I think you'll find that it is probably better for relaxed play than competitive play. And it's the only BRB that seems to enthusiastically support player made creations since 5th.

Desert Rain
16-08-2010, 20:21
Since they empathise that warhammer is not intended to be a competitive game several times in the 8th edition book it seems that the non-competitive players are the ones that the rules are aimed towards. Not the waac players that tries to break the game.

enyoss
16-08-2010, 20:25
And it's the only BRB that seems to enthusiastically support player made creations since 5th.

It looked to me like they'd gone out of their way to make this the case. The style of the whole book is quite informal with lots of first person musing from the authors along the lines of `although the rules say this, *I* play it as blah blah blah'. I like it, and it doesn't seem like they've sacrificed clarity of rules to attain it either.

Actually, with all the extra rules they've introduced and with the informal style and encouragement for players to come up with their own stuff, this edition seems to have more in common with 3rd edition than 4-7.

meneroth
16-08-2010, 20:41
the game has always been such that it can be competitive or it can be non-competitive. you seem like the type that your wondering if you can walk into the hobby store and get a game without having to deal with the insanity that is tourny lists. It pretty much hasn't changed since 6th, your gonna get some guys who will try and crush you and your gonna get some guys who are just there to have fun, like you. Its more player dependant than army book dependant.

and like others have mentioned, good luck finding anyone willing to play 2 editions back. you might be able to convince your friends, but i doubt strangers will be willing. (specially since alot of them havnt been around long enough to know the edition)

jesusjohn
16-08-2010, 22:20
It's the mot fun i've had wargaming in ages. Shock horror a wargame that is actually fun! seriously it is good.

Souppilgrim
16-08-2010, 23:15
Call me crazy, but I think 8th is better for competitive play than 7th. In 7th there were only 3 armies that, barring some astronomical fluke, would ever win a serious tournament. In 7th, if you were experienced, you could tell who was going to win before the end of the first turn.

Duke Georgal
17-08-2010, 00:43
I think 8th edition is just fine for fun play. You guys won't abuse the rules, and you will have a great time.

The WAAC players with the unintended play styles will ruin 8th for organized competition.

warmong3r
17-08-2010, 00:53
My voice isn't much, but i feel like i have a more relaxed and fun game in the 8th edition than in 7th.

Omniassiah
17-08-2010, 02:46
A game is as competitive as the people who play it.

Wolfroar
17-08-2010, 06:14
OK so most of you think 8th edition is an improvement. We used to play 3rd or 4th edition in the past, but in those days characters ruled the tabletop not the army. Thats why we liked the 6th edition so much which puts more focus on the strength of the army instead of characters. Is this still the case in the 8th Ed? Can someone tell me in what way 8th edition is a more fast played game? Do armies die more quickly?

Downside is that the book costs a fricking 60 euros!!

It's true my bro and I keep to the rules, but still play our own game. I have never seen tournaments on a big scale, the warhammer shop close to my home usually got a lot of crazy kids screaming around. Not the people I like to play with. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to join, but he cant be bothered painting those small figures.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
17-08-2010, 06:33
Characters are even more supportive now. My 6th ed. HoC could easily win from characters alone, now those characters will fight an uphill battle - but there is still plenty of room for cool characters :)

And the book is worth it, filled with tons of good stuff beyond mere rules.

Sand
17-08-2010, 06:43
I second the idea of waiting to get the starter set (or just the small rulebook). It's out in less than a month.
I have a few gripes with 8th, but for relaxed play I don't think there's any doubt that it's much better than both 6th and 7th. It really encourages a more "roll some dice, see what happens, have fun -if you lose, well no big deal" mindset and style of play.

As for characters, they have much less "direct" impact than in both 6th and 7th. With the possible exception of wizards. Since you get to attack with more rank and file and get to strike back with the first two ranks, it's not possible for a character to win a close combat on his own by clearing out the front rank anymore. Now they're there to pack a bit of extra punch and provide crucial rerolls and leadership -stuff like that.

MasterSparks
17-08-2010, 07:52
I'll also agree with the notion that the 8th edition of Warhammer cater towards casual and friendly playing the best. If I'd let my more competitive side come out while playing Warhammer, I know I would be screaming at the top of my lungs over the lack of precise control you've got over things in this game. :p

Lordsaradain
17-08-2010, 08:00
8th edition has slightly less tactical elements than 7th, but it has a bigger fun factor, so I'd say that 8th is better for casual play than competative gaming.

Skyros
17-08-2010, 15:35
They definitely play faster, provided you skip/abridge the terrain generation part.

I think they are a lot more 'fun' as well, though some hyper competitive players bemoan the loss of having to guess your ranges and the changes to charging and movement.

chilledenuff
17-08-2010, 15:42
8th is perfect for a relaxed evening's gaming

warmong3r
17-08-2010, 15:48
Can someone tell me in what way 8th edition is a more fast played game?

I think the movement phase really makes for a faster paced game. You get free pivots, and charge distances have increased by a lot.

theorox
17-08-2010, 16:06
OK so most of you think 8th edition is an improvement. We used to play 3rd or 4th edition in the past, but in those days characters ruled the tabletop not the army. Thats why we liked the 6th edition so much which puts more focus on the strength of the army instead of characters. Is this still the case in the 8th Ed? Can someone tell me in what way 8th edition is a more fast played game? Do armies die more quickly?

Downside is that the book costs a fricking 60 euros!!

It's true my bro and I keep to the rules, but still play our own game. I have never seen tournaments on a big scale, the warhammer shop close to my home usually got a lot of crazy kids screaming around. Not the people I like to play with. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to join, but he cant be bothered painting those small figures.

Do armies DIE more quickly...? HECK YES THEY DO! Imagine clouds of arrows blackening the skies, the roiling of Magical flames soaring over your head, before the armies clash into combat. 8th edition is bloody, lots of casualties everywhere. 8th is faster because a lot of the small unimportant rules done away with. Some new ones added yes, but the game feels more streamlined.

Also, Characters can't win the battle, you really need solid troops. Dragons and such can't break ranks (Unit str is gone, you need a full rear rank to break ranks.), making monsters more balanced. They do get D6 automatic hits to make up for it a bit though, they still bash infantry.

I have only played a couple of games, but they were more fun than 7th i think. :)

Theo