PDA

View Full Version : Nearest (Non Sol System.) planet to Terra?

Hrw-Amen
16-08-2010, 20:35
What is the nearest planet to Terra, (Not in our system otherwise it would be Mars I guess.) that is inhabited by Imperial citizens? What star does it orbit around and roughly how far away is it?

TobiasScharnhorst
16-08-2010, 20:58
I don't believe it has ever been categorically stated. Although WD190, in describing a battle of the Horus Heresy, mentions a planet Molech which is "only a few light years from the Terran star system".

FarseerMatt
16-08-2010, 22:05
It is possible that Molech is the name of a planet in the Alpha Centauri system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri#Possibility_of_planets), which is the closest to ours in real life (about 4.2 lightyears away) and thus a likely candidate for colonisation.

Green-is-best
16-08-2010, 23:03
There is no way to know this within the context of the game. Astronomical distances are not well established.

Alpha centauri doesn't have any known planets. Sirius and Epsilon do, but they are gas giants.

TemujinZero
17-08-2010, 05:44
Alpha centauri doesn't have any known planets.

All but a relatively tiny number of stars have no known planets. We're not very good at finding them yet.

Eumerin
17-08-2010, 06:26
All but a relatively tiny number of stars have no known planets. We're not very good at finding them yet.

That, and it's doubtful that GW would pay much attention to exactly which star systems had been catalogued as having planets in our current day.

Col. Tartleton
17-08-2010, 06:56
Cthonia is within traditional space flight. That means its within about ten light years as the most you'll get off non warp travel is probably .1C. I assume its not more then 100 years away, that would barely register as within driving distance of home.

Cthonia is also an asteroid field as of 40k though.

Also, Terra may not be our Earth... This is 40k nothing is certain.

Hrw-Amen
17-08-2010, 07:45
It just appears to me that not many of the 'known' stars that we are all familiar with are quoted as having habitable planets around them, which kind of is odd given that there are so many of them. Now i relaise that GW game deisgners do not really pay that much attanetion to cosmology, but I would have thought that one or two would be stipulated.

As for Terra not being Earth, where do you think is is if not Earth? From the fluff there are all sorts of things that are quoted from its history that tie it to being Earth. From place names to legends, historical events and so on/

Iuris
17-08-2010, 07:46
Come on, Tartleton, we all KNOW Terra of 40k is actually the Warhammer world in the future. The old ones decided a villa on the cote d'azur on the original would cost too much and took an isolated world, had the Slann use geomancy to transform it into the likeness of Earth, and then had shamans of Albion take care of real estate. Then a drunk Tlaloc drove his pleasure yacht off course and crashed into the warp gate and Chaos started to sip in through the cracks. Then Chaos did too well and drove the Shamans from Albion all the way south to Arabia, by that time looking line old Earth Anatolia, where they were caught between Chaos and Nagash risen, and they decided all was lost, so the all killed themselves and merged into the Emperor, who cleaned up the mess, but couldn't close down the polar gates and eventually build his golden throne on top of them to keep them shut.

:)

Jokes aside, 40k is far too populated with planets for GW to have paid any care to where we have found planets. So, we'd better assume there's lots more undiscovered planets. By that logic, assume the closest one is in Centauri.

Mind you... given humanity's mental attitude in the Dark age of technology, I'd say it's quite possible someone once said "We will have colonies in the Centauri system by the end of the century, and if there are no planets there to colonize, by Jove, we'll bring some with us!"

Sai-Lauren
17-08-2010, 10:48
I'd actually say that the fact we've not found planets around more stars so far is good evidence that there are potentially colonisable worlds around them (I think the smallest exoplanet we've found so far is a rocky ball at about 10 earth masses although most are gas giants).

And any lump of rock is potentially colonisable, it's how much resources are required both initially and long-term determines whether it's practical.

And isn't Proxima Centauri technically closer than Alpha Centauri :D (I know, AC's actually a triple system - Alpha Centauri A is slightly larger than B, and Proxima's a dwarf star in the equivalent of our Oort cloud to A).

FarseerMatt
17-08-2010, 12:23
It is indeed, but it's considered less likely to have habitable planets than A or B because of its low luminosity and frequent flares.

abasio
17-08-2010, 16:44
It just appears to me that not many of the 'known' stars that we are all familiar with are quoted as having habitable planets around them, which kind of is odd given that there are so many of them. Now i relaise that GW game deisgners do not really pay that much attanetion to cosmology, but I would have thought that one or two would be stipulated.

As for Terra not being Earth, where do you think is is if not Earth? From the fluff there are all sorts of things that are quoted from its history that tie it to being Earth. From place names to legends, historical events and so on/

The fact that Mars is really close to it as well might be a bit of a give away, plus that it is the 3rd planet in a system including Saturn & Jupiter :shifty:

Lord Asgul
17-08-2010, 21:02
And with the Imperial Palace being built on the Himalayan Mountains/Nottingham

Hrw-Amen
18-08-2010, 20:10
That has now confused me for a while. I mean is the Imperial Palace that big that it covers the whole area from Nottigham to the Himalayas, or have different people just come up with different fluff over the years and not been familiar with what has gone before?

Cannot see anyway in which Terra is not Earth. I mean we even call Earth Terra nowadays in reasonably normal conversations. I think Sci-Fi has done alot to turn the common name of Earth to Terra for a lot of people.

Yes, i would have thought any small rocky planet anywhere would probably be colonised at one point, even if only by a mining station or something.

Lord Asgul
18-08-2010, 20:37
I remember hearing something about it being where nottingham is, so the UK has become the Imperial Palace, but recent fluff that I have read tells me that it is in the Himalayas now.

Lord Zarkov
18-08-2010, 22:33
The Imperial Palace used to be covering the UK with the throne being in Nottingham.
The new HH background has it being in the Himilayas.

Tenngate
18-08-2010, 22:43
Definitely the earth of now - I remember the fluff in the Space Hulk booklet for 40k there was a nifty little timeline (as well as some seriously cool art) which showed the building of the pyramids and the Roman Empire right up to the year 40,000...

Tenngate
18-08-2010, 22:46
In fact you can find it here...
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/space-hulk/download/3835/

in missions...

Tenngate
18-08-2010, 22:51
Nope.
I'm wrong! Not space Hulk. Final Liberation!
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.6249

Tenngate
18-08-2010, 22:54
Starts on page 39.

I will now cease my irrelevant and fragmented contribution to this thread. Goodnight!

Green-is-best
18-08-2010, 23:00
Love how it goes from the Fall of the Roman Empire to 2011 to the terraforming of Mars. Not much going on in that 2000 years.

Col. Tartleton
18-08-2010, 23:54
Realistically what positive event have humans done in the last two thousand years besides landing like 20 guys on a moon we obviously had no plans for actually making use of?

Every major event of the last 2000 years has been a war. Yes, the steam engine and the internet, but that was obviously a step backwards from actually talking to people and exercise...

Green-is-best
19-08-2010, 00:22
Realistically what positive event have humans done in the last two thousand years besides landing like 20 guys on a moon we obviously had no plans for actually making use of?

Every major event of the last 2000 years has been a war. Yes, the steam engine and the internet, but that was obviously a step backwards from actually talking to people and exercise...

Well, there have certainly been some things on the same scale as the building of the Pyramids and the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. Those two events don't have some unique significance over say the building of the Great Wall or collapse of the Ottoman Empire.

Nexus Trimean
19-08-2010, 06:09
We Have signifigant difficulties in detecting earth like planets, as the current detection method relies on the red and blue shifts of stars, that vary as planets orbit them, this is more distinct with larger planets, as they force stars to move greater distances. Planets that are earth sized barely affect the orbit of the stars nearby.

Its much easier to spot a jupiter making a sun move, rather than an earth.

chromedog
19-08-2010, 07:56

12 guys.

Only 12 guys have walked on the moon.

Neil Armstrong - Apollo 11 - July, 1969
Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin - Apollo 11 - July, 1969
Charles "Pete" Conrad - Apollo 12 - November, 1969 (may have been scheduled to land again on Apollo 20, though unlikely as he had already walked on the Moon)
Alan Bean - Apollo 12 - November, 1969
Alan Shepard - Apollo 14 - February, 1971
Edgar Mitchell - Apollo 14 - February, 1971
David Scott - Apollo 15 - July, 1971
James Irwin - Apollo 15 - July, 1971
John Young - Apollo 16 - April, 1972 (also on Apollo 10, without landing)
Charles Duke - Apollo 16 - April, 1972
Eugene Cernan - Apollo 17 - December, 1972 (also on Apollo 10, without landing)
Harrison Schmitt - Apollo 17 - December, 1972

The Imperial throne room has always been over nottingham.
The Astronomican beacon is in the himalayas.

Lord Zarkov
19-08-2010, 11:59
The Imperial throne room has always been over nottingham.
The Astronomican beacon is in the himalayas.
Was orginally yes - Imperial Throne over Nottingham, Palace over UK, and then the Forbidden Fortress of the Astronomican in the Himalayas with the Emperor's labs.

New HH background though definietly puts the Imperial Palace (Throne Room and all) in the Himalayas, going to quite some effort to labour the point.

Damn retcons :Shakes Fist:

ArtificerArmour
19-08-2010, 15:43
The fact that Mars is really close to it as well might be a bit of a give away, plus that it is the 3rd planet in a system including Saturn & Jupiter :shifty:

Hey, the first book in the HH had a planet called terra in a solar system of 9 planets and an emperor being killed by horus ;)

chromedog
29-09-2010, 23:13
Was orginally yes - Imperial Throne over Nottingham, Palace over UK, and then the Forbidden Fortress of the Astronomican in the Himalayas with the Emperor's labs.

New HH background though definietly puts the Imperial Palace (Throne Room and all) in the Himalayas, going to quite some effort to labour the point.

Yes, but the map of Terra in the 4th ed rulebook confirms my statement.

All is truth, all is lies.

GW and consistency is a myth.
They can't even be consistent at inconsistency.

NightrawenII
30-09-2010, 07:04

Weren't the Emperor's labs under Ural? Or it was Kavkaz? I'm a little confused right now.:D

FlashGordon
30-09-2010, 11:44
There is no way to know this within the context of the game. Astronomical distances are not well established.

I think astronomical distances are what they are. GW's knowledge of them may or may not be the same.

jt.glass
30-09-2010, 12:45
It is possible that Molech is the name of a planet in the Alpha Centauri system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri#Possibility_of_planets), which is the closest to ours in real life (about 4.2 lightyears away) and thus a likely candidate for colonisation.Alpha is pretty close now, but I'm pretty sure the Sol system was moved during the DAoT. No way to know what is close in the 41st Millenium.

Love how it goes from the Fall of the Roman Empire to 2011 to the terraforming of Mars.Man, we'd better hurry up! EDIT: On second thoughts, thinking about how it turns out, lets not...

jt.

Thanatos_elNyx
30-09-2010, 12:57

Which book was that mentioned in? Thanks

Well medicine has come on leaps and bounds. The average Human lifespan is about 3 times what it was 2k years ago and is still getting longer!

There was one annouced on Wednesday called Gliese 581g (only 3 or 4 times more massive that Terra) that sits in the Goldilock Zone and it is 'only' 20 Light Years away! It is tidally locked with its star though.

Polaria
30-09-2010, 13:01
There was one annouced on Wednesday called Gliese 581g (only 3 or 4 times more massive that Terra) that sits in the Goldilock Zone and it is 'only' 20 Light Years away! It is tidally locked with its star though.

With proper atmospheric domes tidal lock isn't necessarily a bad thing... as it offers non-stop solar power and excellent conditions to grow plants in greenhouses :)