PDA

View Full Version : Running a 500pt tourney?

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
16-08-2010, 22:08
I proposed the idea of a 500pt tourny at our local shop at the end of next month. The idea was to get some of the newer players to collect up to a 500pt list and for some of the older players to get some things painted.
Here are the rules I have thought of so far, but they aren't set in stone by any means;

-500pts
- no HQ requirement
-1 troop requirement
- Monstorous creatures may only have up to three wounds
-Total armor value of any one vehicle may only be 44 (each side added together)
-No special characters
- No characters may have more than three wounds
- All models must be painted
- All games are played on a 4x4 table with a one hour limit

Like I said, this is supposed to be a friendly type tourney to encourage people to play.

I'd like some suggestions for rules to simplify the tourney or any other critiques y'all might have.

bigcheese76
16-08-2010, 22:12
Tell them they are playing combat patrol with a varied points limit. Or just go with Combat Patrol's 400 points. This will be good because the game already has a recognised and well tested rules structure which some will be familiar with and is also quite similar to the rules you have proposed.

Stickmonkey
16-08-2010, 22:15
You'll need to create or find some custom scenarios. We've found the smaller point value battles to not lend themselves to the standard scenarios as well. When you have 1 HQ and 1 troop, its really difficult to win a C&C.

Bunnahabhain
16-08-2010, 22:31
You'll need to create or find some custom scenarios. We've found the smaller point value battles to not lend themselves to the standard scenarios as well. When you have 1 HQ and 1 troop, its really difficult to win a C&C.

Remember, a minimum requirement of one troops choice does not limit you to only one troops choice. Many armies will want more than one unit of troops, as they are either good units, cheap, or both...

gwarsh41
17-08-2010, 00:48
Remember, a minimum requirement of one troops choice does not limit you to only one troops choice. Many armies will want more than one unit of troops, as they are either good units, cheap, or both...

A space wolves army would might be...

3 WG, combi melta power fist
Standard 9Grey hunter pack+ rhino
Standard 9Grey hunter pack+ rhino
about 500 points, 21 models

I second using custom scenarios as 500pt is a very small amount. You could end up with too many objectives on the table as well.

Chem-Dog
17-08-2010, 02:59
My club's starting something very similar tomorrow.
500 points
0-1 Hq
0-1 Elite
1-4 Troops
0-1 FA
0-1 HS

No Named Characters
No Model may have more than 2 wounds.
No Model may have a 2+ save of any kind.
Vehicles max armour is 33
No Artillery
No Ordnance
Players MAY include a second Elite, FA or HS choice IF they can fill one option from each category first. (this pretty much rules out everyone except Orks from what I gather)

The Scenario is entirely Objective based BUT any unit counts as scoring, not just troops.
All games played on a 4X4 table.
Random Deployment zones (Pitched Battle, Quarters and Opposing corners).
Players take turns to deploy 2 objectives each (one in deployment zone, one in no-mans land), they scatter D6".
Each Player then rolls secretly on Mission Chart, each Mission requires you to capture 2 objectives, you don't know which your opponant has to capture.
Game starts.

That's the gist.
My Daemonettes are gonna get hosed :/

Robg54
17-08-2010, 17:23
I know not many Necrons play these days and few would enter a tournament this size, But I recommend eliminating the phase out rule for the tourney, as it's really the only chance a necron has of competing and isn't really balanced at 500 points where like 12 kills and you are dead.

Lord Damocles
17-08-2010, 17:41
-500pts
Makes sense.

- no HQ requirement
Makes sense.

-1 troop requirement
Makes sense.

- Monstorous creatures may only have up to three wounds
How many MCs have 3 wounds or less? Tomb Spyders, and..?

-Total armor value of any one vehicle may only be 44 (each side added together)
Is that counting side armour twice?

-No special characters
Special Characters don't exist in more recent codeces...

- No characters may have more than three wounds
*Deploys Mephiston*

- All models must be painted
Makes sense (+ based?)

- All games are played on a 4x4 table with a one hour limit
Makes sense, although will the newer players necessarily be able to meet the time limit?

What was wrong with the Combat Patrol guidelines?

- You must have one Troops choice. You may have one HQ choice, but no more than one. You may spend the remaining points from anywhere in the relevant codex subject to the standard force organisation chart.
- No model may have more than two wounds (the Dark Stars campaign rules added, 'with the exception of units with the Small Target universal special rule').
- No 2+ armour saves.
- No vehicles with total armour value greater than 33. This is calculated by adding the front, side and rear armour values (only count the side once).
- No Ordnance weapons are allowed.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
17-08-2010, 17:43
I was thinking combat patrol rules, but couldnt find the rules set.

Ok, hows this:

-one troop requirement
- may have one HQ, but only one. All remaining ponts may be spent using the FOC requirements.
- no models may have more than 2 wounds with the exception of "small targets"
- no 2+ saves of any kind
- no vehicle with total armor value greater than 33 (front + side + rear)
- no ordnance
- all models must be painted with a minimum of at least three colors.
- all games will be scenario based and will be played on a 4x4 table with a one hour time limit.
* This tourney is meant to be fun, and for people to utilize units they might not in larger battles. So please, no power gaming (Nob bikers, chimera spam, valkyries etc.)

Erwos
17-08-2010, 18:59
* This tourney is meant to be fun, and for people to utilize units they might not in larger battles. So please, no power gaming (Nob bikers, chimera spam, valkyries etc.)
They already can't field Valks - armor is 34. Whining about chimera spam when you've basically eliminated every other vehicle in the IG arsenal is a bit ludicrous, though. The whole thing would be a bit more interesting if you just said "no vehicles" - it's not a huge table, after all.

AstartesWarMachine
17-08-2010, 20:23
You might want to do something similar to what we are going to do for an upcoming Kill Team tourney at my club.

We did an event where there was a Kill Team doubles tourney but without objectives it made the game tough. Armies that had high volumes of multi-shot weapons dismantled their enemies and CC units were generally very gimped. We foresaw this and didn't allow vehicles, but it didn't help as much as we thought. So this time around there are going to be objectives: ammo dumps, comm stations, wounded models, etc.

Each race gets +1 to their tourney score for each objective. Some races prefer different objectives and so might have a +1 or -1 on particular ones.

It will greatly help you to avoid long-range shooting squads like lootas dominating the scene.

Balgora
17-08-2010, 23:14
Nevermind, i was wrong. Goodluck though :)