PDA

View Full Version : Indestructible chosen?

Korthos the all-seeing
16-08-2010, 23:20
If you have a chosen unit of 40, it would be awful expensive, but if you equip them with shields, MoT, and the champion with favour of the gods, they will benefit from these advantages:

They have a 3+armour save

If they get a 11 or 12 on the eye of the gods, thank to the favour of the gods, you will get a 4+ ward save and stubborn. with hw and shield and MoT, this will increase to 2+.

Since the chosen ignore "insanity" and "the eye is closed", any result other than 11 or 12, is good anyway.

In addition to this, you can have a magic standard and 20pts extra magic items to the champion.

3+ armour save
2+ ward save
you'll be almost invincible!

Do you think it is worth its points, or do you find any problems with this?

Talash
16-08-2010, 23:27
The ward save from the HW+S bonus doesn't stack with other ward saves, so you'd get a 3+ at best.

The unit is good, no doubt about that, but they're not that fast, expensive and are still vulnerable to magic that doesn't do damage or allow saves.

Macavity
16-08-2010, 23:30
Don't have the book. How many points are we looking at? I'm guessing the worth is largely dependent on the size of battle you are having.

Knifeparty
16-08-2010, 23:30
It's actually a 3+ wardsave because the 4+ from the eye of the gods roll only stacks with the MoT not the Hw/S as well. But yea it's brutal.

I've also seen MoT with Halberds and Banner of Rage backed up with 2 War Shrines. This I think is the best way to run them. 4+/3++, frenzy, immune to psych with 3 attacks strength 5. This unit runs trains on people's armies. I just try to avoid them at all costs. Break holes in his battle line where the weakest units are and just keep widdling them down with bowfire or something.

Planning on doing a unit of 18 of them for my WOC army. But I'm only using one shrine so im giving the Chosen unit the Terror banner from the new Warhammer rule book as well as giving the champion the favor of the gods. That way the special roll on the eye of the gods chart that they get before the game guarantees that I will have a really high chance of rolling the Wardsave/stubborn because everything else with the exception a roll of a 4 or 5 will just be moved up or down with the favor or be re-rolled because I already cause fear/terror and I can't get double 1's or 7.

Korthos the all-seeing
16-08-2010, 23:41
Good idea!

pinguinota
17-08-2010, 00:10
i have been playing with a unit of them of 18 tzeentch with favour +full comand+ rage standart, i have play them also with valkia..
i thinck they have problems in this edition, there are 4 spells that doesnt alow ward saves , the number 6 of live kills you 12 chossen of that 40 unit, those are so many points for just one spell...also is funny the shadows -1d3 T so yoy will have to make so many armor saves...
and any slam,teclis,kairos...level 4 wizard player will take out the spell for sure.

PeG
17-08-2010, 06:33
But it is a lot of points in one basket. Although it is a very hard basket to crack it can be done with cannons, skaven templates, magic etc. I am not convinced that they are a good idea. If supported by a caster with lore of life that can heal the unit they would have been great but I cant see a way for WoC to get access to that lore.

Korthos the all-seeing
17-08-2010, 12:07
Wizard hat

eyescrossed
17-08-2010, 12:25
Wizard hat

Good luck, seeing as you'll only be getting Life every 8 games...

Leth Shyish'phak
17-08-2010, 12:49
In addition to this, you can have a magic standard and 20pts extra magic items to the champion.

Chosen Champions can only take one magic item of up to 25 points, not up to 25 points of magic items.

Rochr
17-08-2010, 12:54
40 Chosen with MoT and a full command will run you at 810 points. Then you want to give the champion Favour of The Gods for 5 pts. You most likely also want a magic banner for such an expensive unit, id suggest Blasted Banner for a 4+ ward save against shooting. You are probably looking at 850ish points when everything is said and done.

Chosen champion can like Leth said only have ONE magic item for a total of 25p.

This unit will be hard to break down, especially if you roll +1 T for the EoTG roll. Yet they need to get into combat fast to be able to earn back their points and they are only M4. Most enemies will know how good they are and either bombard them with every artillery piece they can muster or just stay out of their way. I think fielding 18 of them is a better deal and then make two blocks. Easier to move, easier to get into combat with and they don't put your enemy on guard.

WarmbloodedLizard
17-08-2010, 13:28
Yet they need to get into combat fast to be able to earn back their points and they are only M4.

why do so many people think that units have to earn their points back?

LanceSaba
17-08-2010, 14:42
I agree they are also a great point denial unit. Thank goodness i always take lore of metal, go final transmutation =)

EndlessBug
17-08-2010, 15:10

exactly, as long as they don't lose you points, anything they kill is pure profit.

CaptainFaramir
17-08-2010, 15:15
...as long as they don't lose you points...

Max Special allowance of Pheonix Guard for the WTF

*whistles*

Not much to say on-topic. Think it is too much of a point-sink below 4k (40 chosen fully tooled an entire 1000 points!) and even then I'd be wary because at 4k any opponent worth his salt will take enough artillery/magic to blow it out of the water and/or enough distraction units to feed it.

Rochr
17-08-2010, 17:06

You're right that occasionally they do not have to. Playing as WoC you normally can't have a unit for 850 points hanging back doing nothing. I am sure there are some situations that warrant that tho.

meneroth
17-08-2010, 23:51
most of the general artillery (cannons, stone throwers, organ guns, bolt throwers) cant really hurt them. someone posted that now cannonballs stop if they dont wound the first guy a la bolt throwers. with the invo save they have a pretty good chance of stopping the bolt throwers or cannons before any real damage can be done. stone throwers are now s3 and allow armor saves so they are pretty much worthless against chosen, especially if they get T5 or the invo save (or both!) organ guns and the like just arnt long enough ranged or reliable enough to hurt that unit that badly.

the only thing that can do it is some good spells from high level casters or a suicide mage. keeping a lvl 4 sorcerer around to buff the unit up and dispel what he can will help but suicide mages and big casters are the weakness of most eggs-in-one-basket armies.

Nathangonmad
18-08-2010, 03:01
It's actually a 3+ wardsave because the 4+ from the eye of the gods roll only stacks with the MoT not the Hw/S as well. But yea it's brutal.

I've also seen MoT with Halberds and Banner of Rage backed up with 2 War Shrines. This I think is the best way to run them. 4+/3++, frenzy, immune to psych with 3 attacks strength 5. This unit runs trains on people's armies. I just try to avoid them at all costs. Break holes in his battle line where the weakest units are and just keep widdling them down with bowfire or something.

Planning on doing a unit of 18 of them for my WOC army. But I'm only using one shrine so im giving the Chosen unit the Terror banner from the new Warhammer rule book as well as giving the champion the favor of the gods. That way the special roll on the eye of the gods chart that they get before the game guarantees that I will have a really high chance of rolling the Wardsave/stubborn because everything else with the exception a roll of a 4 or 5 will just be moved up or down with the favor or be re-rolled because I already cause fear/terror and I can't get double 1's or 7.

YOINK, may just steal that idea ;D

w3rm
18-08-2010, 03:10
Powerscroll Dreaded Thirtheenth Spell. *rubs hands together greedily* There we go an average of 14 models dead automatically! Then its time to lay down some poisoned wind fire. Yeah a 3+ wardsave is nasty but as a Marine Player I know how easy it is to fail those 3+.

RMacDeezy
18-08-2010, 20:11
most of the general artillery (cannons, stone throwers, organ guns, bolt throwers) cant really hurt them. someone posted that now cannonballs stop if they dont wound the first guy a la bolt throwers. with the invo save they have a pretty good chance of stopping the bolt throwers or cannons before any real damage can be done. stone throwers are now s3 and allow armor saves so they are pretty much worthless against chosen, especially if they get T5 or the invo save (or both!) organ guns and the like just arnt long enough ranged or reliable enough to hurt that unit that badly.

the only thing that can do it is some good spells from high level casters or a suicide mage. keeping a lvl 4 sorcerer around to buff the unit up and dispel what he can will help but suicide mages and big casters are the weakness of most eggs-in-one-basket armies.

cannonballs only stop if they hit and fail to slay monsters or monstrous infantry/cavalry/beasts. BRB p113

meneroth
18-08-2010, 20:18
thanks for the clarification.

squalie
18-08-2010, 22:07

Sorry to jump in late but WarmbloodedLizard, just became my new best friend. If you put units on the table expecting all of them to 'get their points back' I wish you the best of luck. Isn't there a million threads dedicated to Anvil units, throw away units, etc, etc?:D

PurpleSun
18-08-2010, 22:40
I've seen and used the "MoT Chosen Bannor O' Rage Halberd Favor of the Gods Warshrine" unit many times, and they sure can turn into the MVP of the battle. Saw them hold off and eventually win against three big units of brettonnia knights once, after being charged by all three in the same turn. Epic.

Djekar
19-08-2010, 05:04
You know, I came into this thread thinking "No way are they going to convince me to build a chosen deathstar". Now ... Imma chargin' up my layzorz!! I say the rebel base is in range now!!

ahem. What I meant to say is, those are some sick looking combos that might have to make a surprise appearance on my tabletop once I get my WoC army back on it's feet from the 8th ed. shuffle.

BrotherNefarius
20-08-2010, 15:00
3+ ward save is nice, but if you simply put a MR1 character in it, you get 2+ ward vs spells on the whole squad... even better!

TheKingInYellow
20-08-2010, 15:43
So maybe put in your exalted BSB with a Book of Secrets and Collar of Khorne?

bonertron
20-08-2010, 17:28
My favorite is actually Chosen with MoN, and the Banner of Rage. I usually give my Chosen an extra hand weapon as well. The champion has Favor of the Gods, and I include 2 Warshrines with MoT (3 in a 3000 list). I dont think Ive ever played a game where they didnt end up with the 4+ WS and Stubborn. You end up with a unit that ALWAYS hits on 3s and can have up to 60 punishing attacks (in a horde), which IMO is the best way to go, especially if you can pull off the Stubbon from the EotG rolls. What helps is to also put a lord with the collar in, just incase you get bombed with some spells before you get your 4+ WS.

I usually compliment this with a 5 wide block of Warriors of Tz, with a HW/Sh. Then toss in Wulfrick with a big block of Marauders, to take care of the pesky War Machines, and to (hopefully) aid with a rear charge.