PDA

View Full Version : Counts as..... what?

Denise
17-08-2010, 07:02
So... I have a fantasy VC army that I have never really used and I want to try making a themed 40k army out of it. I have also always wanted to make a LatD army so I figured I might try and combine these ideas. I could kind of use help matching it with a rulebook though.

The obvious choice would seem to be the Imperial guard codex, but I don't like it because it requires a large amount of money for the tons of obligatory troops and tanks. I am also kind of interested in making a little different kind of traitor instead of the traditional nut job fodder mutant. If possible, I would like to try to make a army for the hardcore guardsmen who were actually benefited somehow by turning, rather than just being horribly mutated.

This got me thinking of maybe using the SOB codex. I know, this seems like total wrong... but think about it. Normal human stat line for the most part, but they have super powers. Unfortunately, they have 3+ save that I have a hard time finding a way to rationalize, and their (useful) unit choice is fairly limited.

Then there is the third codex that people seem to be using for this kind of thing: Daemons. I have barely skimmed the book and haven't played against anyone who plays them, so I don't know. Without any vehicles, though, it doesn't seem especially suited.

What do you think?

My theme, very subject to change, is that I want to place a high emphasis on the medieval gothic vampires of VC and less on the fodder zombies. If I have zombies, I want to make them look like they aren't crazed or mindless, but that they like what they are.

As for chaos gods, I want to try and kind of stay undivided, but if I can find a good way to do it, I will have them devoted to Malal.

Probably a lot of unnecessary information but hopefully this will give of what I am trying to make them into.

Simo429
17-08-2010, 07:21
3+ save? - Vampires magical save (although I know that maybe should be an Inv. Save)
For zombies ect they could just have an arm blown off ect and it wont bohter them and then they repair

Clang
17-08-2010, 07:24
Fluffwise, I have no problem with vampirism counting as SoB or Daemon or IG.

But any choice has big modelling implications - I presume the army is currently on square bases and armed with fantasy weapons? Rebasing will be tedious but easy enough, but what about the weapons - are you planning on lots of modelling changes to give them guns etc? If not, you might be better to look at the Daemon codex, as few Daemons have guns of any sort.

druchii
17-08-2010, 08:58
So... I have a fantasy VC army that I have never really used and I want to try making a themed 40k army out of it. I have also always wanted to make a LatD army so I figured I might try and combine these ideas. I could kind of use help matching it with a rulebook though.

The obvious choice would seem to be the Imperial guard codex, but I don't like it because it requires a large amount of money for the tons of obligatory troops and tanks. I am also kind of interested in making a little different kind of traitor instead of the traditional nut job fodder mutant. If possible, I would like to try to make a army for the hardcore guardsmen who were actually benefited somehow by turning, rather than just being horribly mutated.

This got me thinking of maybe using the SOB codex. I know, this seems like total wrong... but think about it. Normal human stat line for the most part, but they have super powers. Unfortunately, they have 3+ save that I have a hard time finding a way to rationalize, and their (useful) unit choice is fairly limited.

Then there is the third codex that people seem to be using for this kind of thing: Daemons. I have barely skimmed the book and haven't played against anyone who plays them, so I don't know. Without any vehicles, though, it doesn't seem especially suited.

What do you think?

My theme, very subject to change, is that I want to place a high emphasis on the medieval gothic vampires of VC and less on the fodder zombies. If I have zombies, I want to make them look like they aren't crazed or mindless, but that they like what they are.

As for chaos gods, I want to try and kind of stay undivided, but if I can find a good way to do it, I will have them devoted to Malal.

Probably a lot of unnecessary information but hopefully this will give of what I am trying to make them into.

Do demons.

Nothing else makes sense really. Zombies with bolters? 3+ power armor? Eviscerators and Blessed Weapons?

Demons all the way.

Why?
You don't need to re-base.
Vampires are well suited to Khorne stat-lines, while necromancers make good tzeentch heralds. Suddenly your corpse cart is a Tzeentch herald on a chariot with some shooting powers.
Demons (except the Soul Grinder, who only has a heavy 6 bolter) don't use guns (unless they're modeled that way!) so youre in the clear there.
Zombies make perfect plague bearers.
Grave guard make great bloodletters.
Dire Wolves suddenly become seekers/fiends/whatever, while your blood/black knights become Bloodcrushers or whatever else.
Bat swarms are easy stand-ins for fiends.
Wraiths=flamers.
Heck, now your varghulfs have a dual purpose! Demon princes!
Black coach? Another hearld if you like.

Demons all the way!

:)

d

LonelyPath
17-08-2010, 13:14
In addition to what Druchii said.

Dire Wolves = Flesh Hounds, it's that simple :)

But yes, Daemons all the way for your VC army. I used VC models for my Daemons when I was testing them out and to this day I still use Ghouls for my Plaguebearers, but I built up their bases to compensate for their short stature ;)

Godzooky
17-08-2010, 13:24

What do you think?

Baal PDF? :)

Emeraldw
17-08-2010, 15:19
I presume the army is currently on square bases and armed with fantasy weapons? Rebasing will be tedious

Why rebase at all? It isn't like the round bases make a difference and they will rank up well still in fantasy.

Mage
17-08-2010, 16:05
Try Orks. I think that will work well. The list itself.

Denise
17-08-2010, 17:14
Thanks for the suggestions. In the end, it does seem like Daemons are the way to go. Orks is an interesting idea I hadn't considered but it also has the same kind of problem as IG, too many troops and they are fodder. Fodder armies have their place, but I don't really want to make another fodder army

Fluffwise, I have no problem with vampirism counting as SoB or Daemon or IG.

But any choice has big modelling implications - I presume the army is currently on square bases and armed with fantasy weapons? Rebasing will be tedious but easy enough, but what about the weapons - are you planning on lots of modelling changes to give them guns etc? If not, you might be better to look at the Daemon codex, as few Daemons have guns of any sort.

Yeah, I figured that was assumed. I am going to rebase, unpaint, and absolutely dismantle all of my models.

I have tons of extra guns I was planning on giving them.

Chaos Daemons might be the best choice, but its not really what I have hoped for, so I am going to try and design them in a really generic way so that I can use them with something else if a better rulebook comes out.

What?

Chem-Dog
17-08-2010, 17:50
Thought about Tyranids as a basepoint for the Counts as list?

massey
18-08-2010, 00:40

Hah!

What?

Baal, home of the Blood Angels. Vampire Space Marines and their PDF servants. :)

misterboff
18-08-2010, 00:56
Hah!

Baal, home of the Blood Angels. Vampire Space Marines and their PDF servants. :)

This would be PDF as in Planetary Defence Force, not Portable Document Format (just in case you weren't sure of that either). Although Adobe's main colour is red - coincidence, or sinister vampiric undertones...

misterboff