PDA

View Full Version : 3k throgg/monster army

peterjameslewis711
17-08-2010, 10:30
Hi guys, im new to 8th ed (still not played a game yet) but im hearing all the major things about it and i just wondered if throggs monster army would still be feasable as a good army.......

Lords......

Galrauch (apparently its all about the lv4's,lol)

Heroes.......

Throgg

core.......

5 trolls (insert throgg here)

6 trolls
6 trolls
6 trolls
6 trolls
6 trolls

rare...

Shaggoth
Shaggoth
total comes to 2896

I want to have an army of mass mutated monsters, was thinking of swapping a shaggoth for a giant and using the extra points saved and the 104 spare to get some more trolls for throggs unit, but i dunno, thought id ask you seers advice........

Thanks in advance.

TheKingInYellow
17-08-2010, 15:34
I love this list. Who cares how competitive it is, it's all about the theme.

I'd keep the Shaggoths though, the Giant doesn't do much for me. If you wanted to save some points, you could always go for a L4 Demon Prince instead of Galrauch. Galrauch without a BSB worries me a bit, his super-stupidity rule is potentially game-ending.

theSkullduggery1
17-08-2010, 16:13
I think it would be lots of fun to play, until you face a shooting unit that has flaming attacks...I know HE have an archery unit that can take a magical banner, then if they go horde formation you could be looking at 30 shots that will be very hard to avoid.

But with 6 units of Regen, I don't think you'd have to be too scarred of flaming banner in a combat unit...most of your units could avoid the flaming banner.

39 models in a 3000 pt game, very small, yet very scary.

peterjameslewis711
17-08-2010, 21:44
Just thinking how many monsters makes a horde? could use some of the points and another unit of trolls to make throggs unit a horde which could be fun.........

sergentzimm
18-08-2010, 04:23
wow that would be fun. I think a dp would be fun as well.

Malladorin
18-08-2010, 09:12
It's 6 for a horde formation, with monstrous infantry, isn't it? So 3/4 ranks of 6. Sounds like a whole lot of scary to me :) bit massive, though.

theSkullduggery1
18-08-2010, 13:57
6 wide is correct (I think Malladorin wanted confirmation).

I've been wanting to try it but I don't have 18 trolls and that is a lot of points since my group doesn't play with special characters. I could fit it in since it is only 810 points and Special can get 50% of the points, but it still more than I would want to spend on one unit.

Could you imagine all of the EotG rolls you'd have by the end of the game, that unit would draw every shooting/magic attack and the enemy can't avoid it forever.

peterjameslewis711
18-08-2010, 18:21
7 units though is my concern, i mean any normal army is going to have a field day but the eotg rolls would be hilariously fun with that unit.

Im only worried about a bsb, doesnt valkia count as a bsb? maybe putting her in instead of a shaggoth?

gaarew
18-08-2010, 18:23
Throgg + 23 Chaos Trolls + Warshrine.

Taking Mutant Regen into account, and the EotG table, that is one seriously hard unit. They are already Stupid, so there is no 'bad' result for them.

acsmedic
18-08-2010, 18:25
only thing I do not like about this army is how vulnerable it is to Init tests.... could loose a whole horde of trolls in one turn easy...

peterjameslewis711
18-08-2010, 18:53
Thats a good point but im hoping maybe then doing something with the points for galrach and the left over points can give me maybe a block of marauders and some sort of lv4 wizard and bsb? but then its detracting from the "monster army", the thought of taking I tests for 18 models at I1 is scarey as hell.

acsmedic
18-08-2010, 19:17
I was also looking at this army and decided that it needed a nurgle component with a lv4, bsb and a unit of nurgle warriors... theme it as a sorcerer lord of nurgle conned, ensorcelled or bribed Throgg and his boyz to go on a bit of a rampage with him.

peterjameslewis711
18-08-2010, 19:26
I was just trying to think of how i can do an all monster army, i mean i know the fundimentals of the game say its best being balanced etc, but i like the idea of putting down 30-40 monsters and running wild, may just do ogres,lol.

acsmedic
18-08-2010, 19:41
I was just trying to think of how i can do an all monster army, i mean i know the fundimentals of the game say its best being balanced etc, but i like the idea of putting down 30-40 monsters and running wild, may just do ogres,lol.

why not do both? buy the new trolls and some ogres and convert.... Trollgers!!! see what happens when a tyrant looses a bet? he had to bugger a troll and the offspring of that unthinkable union is Trollgers... run them as Ogres or as trolls double your fun while expensive... you can create two armies from them.

peterjameslewis711
18-08-2010, 20:14
I already have about 20 spawns (tide of spawn box's) for bits to convert the trolls, im just trying to price it all up and work out kinks b4 i go and buy it all.