PDA

View Full Version : Gut Magic stack

Raffe
17-08-2010, 10:32
Fast question.

Will Gut Magic stack?
For example, can your units be affected by +1 Strenght from multiple Butchers/Slaughtermasters? For a total of maybe +3 Strenght.

Yrrdead
17-08-2010, 11:04
No. Nor can a unit have more than one RIP Gut Magic spell present on them.

More information on the specifics of Gut Magic can be found in the OK AB.

Hope this helps.

VoodooJanus
17-08-2010, 11:06
actually, it can stack (but only from different spells). The references in the gut magic section that say that it doesn't were removed with the 8th edition FAQs.

Clegane
17-08-2010, 12:41
Gut Magic absolutely, positively stacks. Without question.

Gut Magic spells are, in some respects LIKE RiP spells...but they are NOT RiP spells.

As per the most current OK errata, any references to stacking prohibitions have been excised. The only real restriction now is the universal rule that a Wizard (of any sort) cannot cast the same spell more than once PER TURN, unless specifically permitted to do so (Necromancy spells, etc).

So you can actually have one Butcher cast one Bullgorger per turn, so long as you remember that the actual casting requirement goes up exponentially for every instance of that buff already in play. Barring enemy dispels during their own turn (which always require a 7+), you could theoretically have a unit of S10 Bulls by Turn 6, if you cast it every turn and it was never removed by your opponent.

Raffe
17-08-2010, 14:07
Im new to Ogres so correct me if im wrong here, isnt it possible to have a unit of bulls at Strenght 10 much faster?
If you have 2 butchers and they both cast +1 strenght on a unit each turn. It would only take 3 turns, and if you have 3 butchers, only 2 turns.
Or is it that a unit can only be affected by each spell once each turn?

Mr_Rose
17-08-2010, 15:26
So you can actually have one Butcher cast one Bullgorger per turn, so long as you remember that the actual casting requirement goes up exponentially for every instance of that buff already in play. Barring enemy dispels during their own turn (which always require a 7+), you could theoretically have a unit of S10 Bulls by Turn 6, if you cast it every turn and it was never removed by your opponent.
Actually, it doesn't go up like that: It goes up for each copy of the spell "successfully cast that phase" - you can have one butcher re-cast whatever spell once each turn on a 3+ without restriction.
You can have two of them cast it twice a turn on a 3+ then a 6+ which gets really easy when you have a Butcher and a Slaughtermaster doing the casting...

Basically, Gut Magic is obscenely powerful now, especially with the Ogre miscast table being that much less horrific than the regular one...

Clegane
17-08-2010, 16:59
Im new to Ogres so correct me if im wrong here, isnt it possible to have a unit of bulls at Strenght 10 much faster?
If you have 2 butchers and they both cast +1 strenght on a unit each turn. It would only take 3 turns, and if you have 3 butchers, only 2 turns.
Or is it that a unit can only be affected by each spell once each turn?

You're right, of course. The math in my example was only based off of a single Butcher, not multiple ones.

And thanks for catching my mistake, Mr_Rose. I guess it's fairly obvious that I typically only play with one Gut caster in 8th ed. ;)

Malorian
17-08-2010, 18:53
Wow, I am so happy I saw this thread!

I have a 5K ogre game tomorrow and this is going to be very useful :D

Yrrdead
17-08-2010, 19:05
Wow totally didn't know this. Thanks for the correction guys :)

Raffe
20-08-2010, 11:09
I just read through the Ogre Kingdoms faq, and saw that you are to ignore the fifth paragraph in the Gut Magic description. And that Butchers and Slaughtermasters cast and channel spells in the normal manner.
Doesnt this mean that u cant have more than one of each RiP with each caster?
So you can only have one 1+str and one +1tough.
Or have i missunderstood something?

Mr_Rose
20-08-2010, 11:34
You need to re-read the spells I think. Which ones of them are Remains in Play again?

Lungboy
20-08-2010, 12:01
The wording of the spells doesn't suggest they stack on themselves though, it just says they get (for example) +1 strength whilst it's in play. It doesn't matter if you have 1 instance of it or 5, it's still +1 whilst it's in play. That's how it reads to me, anyway.

Tykinkuula
20-08-2010, 14:36
casting requirement goes up exponentially
Sorry if it sounds like I'm being petty, but this really hurt my eyes to read. Going from 3+ to 9+ and then to 27+ would be exponential. The casting value increase of gut magic is not.

As for the actual topic I only have one thing to say:

Nasty =0

Raffe
20-08-2010, 15:08
You need to re-read the spells I think. Which ones of them are Remains in Play again?

You are correct, my mistake.

senorcardgage
23-08-2010, 15:12
Sorry if it sounds like I'm being petty, but this really hurt my eyes to read. Going from 3+ to 9+ and then to 27+ would be exponential. The casting value increase of gut magic is not.

Thank you very much! I was thinking exactly the same thing :D