PDA

View Full Version : Can be beastman be "recruited for Chaos Space Marines

RunepriestRidcully
17-08-2010, 14:14
Just wondering, could any of the beastmen from th daemon worlds in the eye of terra, (or any where else for that matter) be recruited by Chaos Space marines? could they become chaos space marines themselves? The chaos space marines are not limited by any purity laws or anything as such, so if they for some reason wanted to, could a chaos space marine warband start using beastmen for it's recruits?

Mannimarco
17-08-2010, 14:16
Good question, AFAIK most of these sub human animals are rounded up and used as cannon fodder by the marines although I suppose its possible they tried to implant some of them at some point.

The Judge
17-08-2010, 14:37
I say it would depend on the methods used to create new Chaos Space Marines - obviously some of these methods nowadays are a lot different to Imperial standard!

Some of the more... Chaos-tainted would work, I reckon.

Memnos
17-08-2010, 14:38
Go nuts, if you want to.

Chaos doesn't really play by the rules. If you want a sentient blob stuck in power armour, I don't see a problem with it.

Heck. Some Space Marines are going to end up that way, anyway.

spetswalshe
17-08-2010, 15:57
While no doubt some CSM bang on about racial purity and head measurements and suchlike, really the only requirements for becoming a Chaos Space Marine are 1) being really hard and 2) being an utter psychopath. Managing to kill a Marine and take his armour helps too. It wouldn't surprise me if the horn and hoof brigade outnumber the weakling purebreeds in some warbands. Of course, it's tricky to wear a helmet or proper greaves when you're oddly shaped but that never stopped anyone on either side of the fence.

ashendant
17-08-2010, 19:17
Can anybody show me a picture of a beastman, i've been unable to find it...

madd0ct0r
17-08-2010, 22:03
try the warhammer section - they've an army their.

as for the origional question - I don't see why not. certain practical limits though, centuars may have trouble, also if your knees bend the wrong way or having the wrong number of arms.

Decius
17-08-2010, 22:13
If the beastmen are strong and tough enough, they may not even need implants, merely the armour.

Still, you don't hear about beastmen chaos marines in the background, at least I haven't. So there must be something that makes them a poor choice. Can they survive easily outside the eye of terror or do they need the warp to sustain them, like daemons?

Mannimarco
17-08-2010, 22:31
Im looking through my lost and the damned and slaves to darkness books, if there are pics they will be in there somwhere.

They would be able to survive outside the warp (not for long though due to being used as cannon fodder) as they are flesh and blood creatures and not formed from the stuff of the warp like daemons.

ashendant
17-08-2010, 22:38
i imagined them like the beastman of phantasy star universe for some reason...

totgeboren
18-08-2010, 05:58
In the old fluff there are examples of CSM with horns, or a beast-like head, but I have never heard of a beastman being turned into a CSM.

I have gotten the impression that they are not very smart (something required of a marine. They are supposed to be really über), their legs and their heads do not fit in power armour, and considering how sensitive the gene-seed seems to be, I don't think they are racially pure enough.

Heck, most pure-breed humans are not compatible.

Still, if you want to put beastman heads on your CSM models, there in nothing stopping you. :)

Born Again
18-08-2010, 07:19
It'd most likely be a question of are they compatible with the gene seed and implants? They are half-man, but are their systems similar enough to accept the upgrades? If so, nothing stopping it.

Scalebug
18-08-2010, 10:39
As the Space Marine extra organs are specific enough not to accept a human woman as a host, I think being a entirely different species might prove to be a problem... :p

On top of that, even if made compatible through Chaos and/or Dark Mechanicus/Fabius Bile's research, while they may rot or mutate, Chaos Space Marines (at least of the original Traitor Legions) have a lot of pride in their geneseed, putting it in unwashed goat-people might be viewed a bit... below them... There is probably not a shortage of more pure-bred young barbarian style cultists on the worlds in the Eye you can recruit from before you have to start scraping bottom of the mutant-barrel...

madd0ct0r
19-08-2010, 10:55
well, the OP didn't specify gene-seed, and in the terms of possessed or just big mutants they should be on a par with marines physically.

using the witch hunter adversery rules a standard mutant can be given a marine body stat line at 11pts a model.

that's still missing the WS, BS and the SV, but those are training and equipment based. I can certinely see some aspiring champion forging a band of unruly satyrs into something equal of the emporer's finest. We're only talking a few dozen 'men' here, after all.

Grubnar
21-08-2010, 14:11
Please forgive me. I could not stop myself.

http://www.sc2blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ss79-hires1.jpg

RunepriestRidcully
21-08-2010, 18:09
Is that a skink on top of him?

Goreishk
21-08-2010, 18:36
Remember that not all Chaos Marines wear pants (AKA Power Greaves).

So just use the top half if you have too since some of them do not have legs anymore such as Slaanesh snake things or Nurgle slug bodies.

madd0ct0r
22-08-2010, 07:55
udder chaos!
nice one grubner

Tymell
22-08-2010, 09:58
I'd imagine Mr. Bile has had a few goes :evilgrin:

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
22-08-2010, 13:55
It'd most likely be a question of are they compatible with the gene seed and implants? They are half-man, but are their systems similar enough to accept the upgrades? If so, nothing stopping it.

Ding-ding-ding!

Chaos Marines still need to use the Imperial gene-seed they steal to create new Chaos Marines. The only other method ever mentioned is cloning by Fabious Bile and this only seems to be available to Warbands from the Traitor Legions that can afford his services. That would leave pretty much all renegades and most of the traitor warbands to stealing geneseed from their Imperial brothers.

Due to the strict requirements and genetic purity required, I would doubt a beastman would be able to turn into a full Chaos Space Marine.

However, with enough experimentation, I am sure they could corrupt the gene-seed and use it to turn them into some kind of genetically enhanced super beast-man. The problem is I don't think they would "waste" geneseed experimenting on beastmen to accomplish that. It is too valuable. Easier to use them as cannon-fodder and continue to use raise the worthy to Chaos Marines.

This is 40k though and anything is possible.

The most plausible way I see this occurring, is through some other method that does not require gene-seed. This could be through a mix of gene-enhancing drugs, simple implants and warp-exposure/sorcery. Power Amrour will probably not be used, but the mad-apothicary / Warp-seer doing this could graft armour to their skin. This could give you the army of armoured super beastmen that you want.

Archaon
26-08-2010, 08:27
I guess anything is possible in the Warp so if you have a cool conversion project go nuts.

From the background perspective though it is highly unlikely. Beastmen are different physiologically so it is questionable if Marine implants would work inside them and they are too precious to be wasted for an experiment.

Additionally Beastmen don't display the level of intelligence required to be a Marine so there's that.

The last point would be their social standing. The novel "Storm of Iron" has a central Chaos Space Marine character who's geneseed stems from the Iron Fists, i.e. he's a post heresy Chaos Marine and is reviled by the veterans who's geneseed is "pure". Only by his actions, intelligence, skill and drive does he best them.
Imagine what Chaos Marines would think about an half-animal joining their ranks.

Damage,Inc.
26-08-2010, 16:12
Going waaaay back, I had thought that the main problem with beastmen was their intelligence. While they might physically be able to wear and use power armor, they would never be smart enough to make it worthwhile. Even Ogryns could be upgraded with surgery and psycho-conditioning, however beastmen never really got any better.

In the older books, the chaos leaders with horns and such had started as human and been turned into beastmen by the Chaos powers, so while phsyically altered they retained their human intelligence. I've never read of it working in reverse.

Of course I refuse most retcons in favor of RT era fluff anyway, so I find myself increasingly wrong...

madd0ct0r
26-08-2010, 16:45
If you lead a Tzeetech cabal, having some bodyguards incapable of spelling 'plot' let alone scheming one might have it's plus points.

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-08-2010, 23:14
This (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=208477&hl=beastman)is a pretty cool tutorial. Check it out.

Personally think that it would be difficult to get the geneseed to take in a divergent human. But a little sorcery might help that.

The Muffin Man
27-08-2010, 16:04
Gene seed is not needed to make a chaos space marine as gifts from the Chaos Gods can substitute the required surgery. So I am sure that if a beastman could catch the eye of the Gods for long enough then it could be turned into a Space Marine.