PDA

View Full Version : Cadian 98th Armoured Regiment

undeadair
05-03-2006, 02:41
Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'll eventually get to know some of you people by the time this is all over. :) I love the blog scheme of the painting forum, keeping things nice and tidy and giving me an incentive to complete projects on time to make sure the blog stays updated!

So perhaps I should explain what I'm doing here:

I started painting miniatures/playing 40k in October of 2004. Ever since I started I've wanted nothing more than an Imperial Guard army, but on the advice of the people at the game store, I made my first army Ultramarines. Looking back on it, I'm glad I did since I had no idea what I was doing and I had to learn how to paint anyway! I likely would have given up if I had 100 guardsmen to paint back then.

Finally being set on starting my Guard army, the next step was to figure out what kind of regiment I wanted. I knew I wanted to use the plastic Cadian models and I knew I wanted to paint a military style with muted greens, greys, and tans. So immediately I thought of the Cadian 8th. Too standard perhaps? Yeah, but I'm a fluff dunce, so I just stuck with it at first.

After reading through my Imperial Armour Vol 1, I decided to go with the Cadian 98th. The Luxor Uprising colors fit the scheme I was going for perfectly and it was obscure enough to make it interesting and I could tell my own story with the army.

I've started this army with a mechanized list... probably not the greatest list in the world either, however It would allow me to get some tank painting practice in as well as paint up a smaller amount of guardsmen to get them on the table more quickly. Then when I had a painted army I could play with, I could paint many more guardsman for a more balanced list while still having fun playing.

My initial 1500 list has 49 models, 9 being tanks. As I've only been painting these guys for 2 weeks, I have no armor painted yet, but I'll get to them soon enough. In the meantime, here's some pics from my first squad:

Cadian 98th Guardsmen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/undeadair/IGsquad2.jpg

With the Sarge and Plasma gunner:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/undeadair/IGsquad1.jpg

the Sarge for the second squad:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/undeadair/Sergeant2.jpg

More to come! I hope you enjoy the blog!

MIGHTYPanhead
05-03-2006, 02:51
very nice! a very interesting style

the only odd thing is the plasma gun, the end is a bit too large for the gun.

other than that, loveing it, looking foreward to whats to come :)

malika
05-03-2006, 02:51
I saw some of your stuff already on the Work In Progress forums...totally amazing! the paint job and modelling is great! Cant wait to see the tanks!

Oh perhaps you should show off how you paint so well:evilgrin:

pyramid_head
05-03-2006, 02:53
Awsome paint jobs, make me feel quite inadequate having been in the hobby for over 13 years :D

Mech is awsome, I did armored company because of my hardon for blitzkrieg but if I ever did a guard army again (not bloody likely) it'd be mech

with your skills I suggest investing in some forge world c adian accesories to give the troops that little bit more character between them :)

malika
05-03-2006, 02:55
Why FW if you can use Greenstuff ;)

undeadair
05-03-2006, 02:59
Awsome paint jobs, make me feel quite inadequate having been in the hobby for over 13 years :D

Mech is awsome, I did armored company because of my hardon for blitzkrieg but if I ever did a guard army again (not bloody likely) it'd be mech

with your skills I suggest investing in some forge world c adian accesories to give the troops that little bit more character between them :)

I'm doing this mech list firstly for the speed of getting it on the table. Eventually I plan on running Armoured Company and Infantry based lists. This project is going to be my baby as I'm so thrilled to finally be doing it, but one thing at a time!

I will eventually getting around to giving the guys a bit more gear like packs and belts and such, but for the time being, I'm happy with how they are. The theme I'm going for is a guard army on campaign, so the upgrades will be used extensively in the future. Tanks will also be loaded with tons of stowage and odds and ends. It's going to be a fun project... now I just have to learn how to paint tanks!

treebarkscum
05-03-2006, 03:05
The second sergeant is the newest thing I've seen of your work...you know I've already commented on them on the WiP forums and Boot Camp. I pretty much new around here as well but your work is still awesome. I can't beleive you've only been painting for about two years now...:eek:

undeadair
05-03-2006, 03:08
The second sergeant is the newest thing I've seen of your work...you know I've already commented on them on the WiP forums and Boot Camp. I pretty much new around here as well but your work is still awesome. I can't beleive you've only been painting for about two years now...:eek:

Hey man! It's good to see you around here! I've been lazy this week, actually, but I plan on working through my first heavy weapon tonight and then I'm getting to work on my first Chimera. It's good to see some familiar faces around. :)

pyramid_head
05-03-2006, 03:09
I'm doing this mech list firstly for the speed of getting it on the table. Eventually I plan on running Armoured Company and Infantry based lists. This project is going to be my baby as I'm so thrilled to finally be doing it, but one thing at a time!

I will eventually getting around to giving the guys a bit more gear like packs and belts and such, but for the time being, I'm happy with how they are. The theme I'm going for is a guard army on campaign, so the upgrades will be used extensively in the future. Tanks will also be loaded with tons of stowage and odds and ends. It's going to be a fun project... now I just have to learn how to paint tanks!

How ironic we're both from melbourne too :chrome:

undeadair
05-03-2006, 03:10
How ironic we're both from melbourne too :chrome:

You're in Melbourne, Florida? :)

pyramid_head
05-03-2006, 03:43
Victoria :P

treebarkscum
05-03-2006, 04:52
Man I can't wait to see how the chimera and heavy weapons team turn out. And looking at how your other models look they are bound the be BEAUTIFUL. My guard are nothing in comparison to your painting. I've been painting since June 2004...I can definitely see you winning multiple golden demons in the future.;)

undeadair
05-03-2006, 05:11
Man I can't wait to see how the chimera and heavy weapons team turn out. And looking at how your other models look they are bound the be BEAUTIFUL. My guard are nothing in comparison to your painting. I've been painting since June 2004...I can definitely see you winning multiple golden demons in the future.;)

Thanks, but I don't think i'll be winning any golden demons with this. There's just not enough conversion work to really make them stand out against that kind of competition. :) That's just fine by me. I plan on doing a little, but since I'd like to have the army painted in a semi-reasonable amount of time, conversions will be kept to a minimum and low-key to maintain a coherent look in the army.

treebarkscum
05-03-2006, 05:14
Meh, I'm just saying that when you actually get down to converting and painting some other models to the fullest of your ability (you said you can pump these guys out in two hours!!! OMFG!!!) I'm sure you could win something. I just can't stop thinking about how cool they are...:D

undeadair
05-03-2006, 05:28
Meh, I'm just saying that when you actually get down to converting and painting some other models to the fullest of your ability (you said you can pump these guys out in two hours!!! OMFG!!!) I'm sure you could win something. I just can't stop thinking about how cool they are...:D
2 hours, I wish! No, for the standard guardsman, it's more like 3.5-4 hours. :)

ExoCowboy
05-03-2006, 08:26
They look really great, I love your style. Please remember to post us more pics as you progress.

Aenarion
05-03-2006, 10:35
Your blending is really smooth and very good, nice one! I have to stop coming into guard threads, I get too tempted to start them.

immortal99
05-03-2006, 11:46
They are very well painted! 40 painted this well will look badass!

chicodon
05-03-2006, 13:34
wow they are some lovely painted guardsmen a whole company painted like that :eek: woulc be pretty Sweet...

treebarkscum
05-03-2006, 14:14
2 hours, I wish! No, for the standard guardsman, it's more like 3.5-4 hours.

Well in any case thats a lot faster than what I can paint, and it looks a ton better.

Anvils Hammer
05-03-2006, 14:37
so 40 infantry then...

Im gessing command squad plus chimera

platoon command plus chimera

squad 1 in chimera

squad 2 in chimera

armoured fist squad.

40 men, 5 chimeras...

a hellhound and 3 heavy support tanks...?

Bulonicus
05-03-2006, 14:38
Most impressive! Despite a quite ordinary colour scheme you have managed to get them to stand out.

One small critisism, though: I believe a purity seal attached so close to the muzzle of a plasma gun would melt/burn.

undeadair
05-03-2006, 16:20
so 40 infantry then...

Im gessing command squad plus chimera

platoon command plus chimera

squad 1 in chimera

squad 2 in chimera

armoured fist squad.

40 men, 5 chimeras...

a hellhound and 3 heavy support tanks...?

You got it. :) That's going to be my first build anyway, then while I play that I'll paint more guardsmen and work on a more balanced force.

Anvils Hammer
05-03-2006, 16:36
always remeber with mechanised-

your tanks kill infantry
your infantry kill tanks

so go for lascannons in those squads.

undeadair
05-03-2006, 17:15
always remeber with mechanised-

your tanks kill infantry
your infantry kill tanks

so go for lascannons in those squads.

Absolutely. However, I was thinking of painting up two lascannon sentinels to swap out with the Hellhound as conditions change. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

I'm just finishing up my first Lascannon now. Pics coming very shortly.

undeadair
05-03-2006, 19:44
Just finished my Lascannon!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/undeadair/IGLascannon1.jpg

Anvils Hammer
05-03-2006, 19:52
Absolutely. However, I was thinking of painting up two lascannon sentinels to swap out with the Hellhound as conditions change. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

its an absolutly brilliant idea, and Im saying that with experiance.

in a normal IG list, lascannon sentinels get wasted in turn 1/2 because they are high priority targets.

In a mechanised list, there are so many tanks on the board that a single las cannon sentinel on a flank will be all but ignored.

In my mechanised list, My lascannon sniper sentinel often lasts for till turn 4-5, I keep it out of the way and shoot at high priority targets.

Always remember your sentinels can move and fire, so keep it hidden behind a chimera in your turn, then the enemy cant shoot it, then in your turn again you move into the open and fire.

Also, ALWAYS give them extra armour, in fact give EVERYTHING extra armour, its the single most usefull upgrade in the codex.

EDIT- nice looking lascannon youve got there, even if it is twice as big as it should be, but thats just my personal problem with GW's scaling. for my list, Im using a selection of smaller heavy weapons, like the scout heavy bolter and SM devastator lascannon.

BlazeXI
05-03-2006, 19:55
That is very nice. Especially the skin tone. keep on posting please.

Scorpio
05-03-2006, 19:56
DAMN those look good. very very nice. God all these guard threads are gonna make me start guard just for the tanks! o well i will be watching these look great!:D

-Scorpio

undeadair
05-03-2006, 20:06
That is very nice. Especially the skin tone. keep on posting please.

You bet. I'll be working on my first tank this week... hope that goes ok. :)

So you're the metalhead of the forum eh? By chance is your name an Iron Maiden reference? Blaze Bayley ad Virtual XI? :)

KayvaanShrike
07-03-2006, 13:34
Woo metalheads!! ahem, very very nice gaurd there, i like the rust effect coming from the bolts in the shield, gives a used look to it. .very nice, keep up the good work

Kotobuki
07-03-2006, 15:25
That's an incredible depth of field (especially for a Macro shot) you've achieved on the right 3/4 picture of the Lascannon there. Are you using a manual lens to adjust the apeture for that, or just a point and click camera?

BlazeXI
08-03-2006, 11:25
You bet. I'll be working on my first tank this week... hope that goes ok. :)

So you're the metalhead of the forum eh? By chance is your name an Iron Maiden reference? Blaze Bayley ad Virtual XI? :)

Yeah,

exactly. I do like Maiden in Blaze era. he is a nice bloke and unlike his predecessor he has hidden his grudges after leaving Maiden. Besides his voice siuted X Factor's sinister sound better.

Skin tone tutorial please.

tagsta
08-03-2006, 13:44
a lovely green on the armour! could you share your recipe? :o

blacksmith
08-03-2006, 18:53
i like the rust effect coming from the bolts in the shield, gives a used look to it. .very nice, keep up the good work

Yes I agree. How did you do it?

prawnstar69
13-03-2006, 13:49
I'd also love to know how you do the mud so well :D

Bastiaan
13-03-2006, 14:03
I'd also love to see some sort of tutorial or explanation of the techniques you are using. The result is really nice! I also love the rust effect on the lascannon. And the mud!

Crube
13-03-2006, 14:08
Overall tutorial would be good....

Skin, armour, mud... the wholw nine yards...

Really good stuff here...makes me want to get guard now...

Gathrog Gobsmakka
15-03-2006, 11:16
I concur! Tell all! :)

How did you get that lovely green? And the skin? What colors did you use? What mix? How did you blend? I'd love to be able to get a green like that on my guardsmen, and the skin would make a great addition to my multi-racials :)

Thanks in advance!

Siromcyre
15-03-2006, 11:31
Very cool guard. My only concern is that the fatigues dont look up to the same standard as the rest of the models, but perhaps this is just image trickery or weather balloons.

Melchor
15-03-2006, 11:37
Luverly models you've got there undeadair!
Like the others, I'd also like to see a painting tutorial. :)

Also, tank pics would be nice... ;)

bloodwraith
15-03-2006, 12:19
Ahh, another person to hate.

Beautiful models, i wish i could paint like you. Cadian models are so damn gorgeous i must resist the urge to buy and paint.

The boyz
15-03-2006, 13:37
Wow those are some extremely nice and well painted Guard Undeadair. I especially love the mud effects on the lascannon team. I am looking forward to seeing more updates of your work, good luck.