PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen of Hexoatl colours

Fay_Redd
18-08-2010, 13:13
Hey all, I'm planning my 2nd Lizardmen army and really want to do a Hexoatl based army, with Lord Mazdamundi as a Slaan. What colours do you think the lizardmen would be, Hexoatl is called "The Solar City" So I'm thinking quite light colours, but do lizardmen differ from blue skin sometimes? I don't really know.

On the subject of Mazdamundi, He's a really amazing character.

He's Stubborn, Rides an Ancient Stegadon with a 2+ Armour save, granting him a 2+ aswell, He has Focus of Mystery (i.e. Loremaster) Discipline, He's a BSB with a range of 18" cos he's on Zlaaq and he has a chance to break a magic weapon an enemy has with his ASF S5 poisoned attack Cobra Mace.

Last but not least, his personal spell, Ruination of cities. My god, 2D6 S5 hits and half movement rate for the effected unit, it's a beast of a spell. not too hard to cast at 13+ either.

Ancre
18-08-2010, 13:22
Mazdamundi suffers from not having the +1 dice per cast discipline, which makes a normal slaan better than him, it is said. However he's still good, and a great conversion opportunity, as well as a great fluffy theme. Mazdamundi for the win !

On the colors of Hexoatl's lizardmen. Before 6 edition army book iirc, lizardmen weren't necessarily blue, although GW's color schemes did not varied much from green to blue, staying in some sort of aquatic palette (or I have missed many wonders to see !). You are totally free to choose the color you want for your lizards - the army book for 5 edition had fluff saying slaan mages speculated on the meaning of the new spawning skin color, and we had a campaign with "sacred hosts" marked by one of their Ancients god and wearing his color as a skin tone. So you can just grab the fluff you want and say "oh yeah, my Hexoatl army was blessed by this Ancient". :)

Vashta
18-08-2010, 13:43
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4882778

This might be of use.

Chotec being Lord of the Sun. Hexoatl being the Solar City...

* I just noticed you are in Oxford too :D*

fer
18-08-2010, 14:06
I say go with a color scheme you like...afaik the GW blue scheme is strictly speaking _what_ the lizardmen have to look like.

I use Vallejo paints so mine are base coated with a bestial brown and then I drybrush a dead flesh color over that for all skin in the army, stegs, skinks, saurus, cold ones, even the slann. Then I vary the colors of the back scales according to the unit under the theory that since they are spawned together they ought to match up reasonably well. I like having the common skin color as it brings a cohesive element to the whole army. I even matched the skink handler back scales to their salamander counterpart.

Fay_Redd
18-08-2010, 14:09
Ancre, you have a good point there about him not having focused rumination. that does limit his spell-casting, however. with a good power dice roll, he'll see some spells off im sure.

Col. Dash
18-08-2010, 17:33
Blue as a skin color is something that GW has come up with relatively recently,i do not think its cannon that all lizards are blue(just because some writer said it in a WD doesnt make it cannon). You can have whatever color lizards you want. I think green is more appropriate. I personnally use yellow-orange as mine come from a city in the desert of western lustria.

Kudzu
19-08-2010, 02:13
My skinks and saurus are dark green (shields are dark red), with my slann a dark red with a bone underbelly/jowls, and everything else (steg, krox, sallies, etc) being grey skinned with dark red scales.

I've never liked the blue skinned look. Use a search engine to find pictures of reptiles to get some inspiration from nature.

Fay_Redd
19-08-2010, 11:58
Ahah, ok. Nice idea there Kudzu, google to the rescue.