PDA

View Full Version : Witch hunters: now or later?

scar face
18-08-2010, 16:58
I was about to buy the witch hunters codex in the store when he promted me that it was free downloadable on the website. On the subject of this, I asked him who and apparently because there will be a new witch hunter 'dex (inquisition combined?) in the next 5 months or so.

If this is true, should I bother starting SoB's now, or shall I wait until the apparent new codex comes out?

SCAR

Dio´Ra
18-08-2010, 17:02
Start now, the sister of battle models are very good quality and I would be very sad if we see the future plastic sister of battle models getting the daemonettes and horror treatment, in other words becoming more ugly.

Also your quite safe in buying immolators and rhinos, seeing they are full plastic kits and won't be changed for a loooooooong time.

So yeah plenty of stuff you can buy now without waiting for the new dex, and 5 months is just an estimate rumour. I'll bet that it would take way longer than 5 months before we see something of an inquisition codex.

Necron2.0
18-08-2010, 17:04
If you plan to use allies, it's worth it to buy the Codex. The online version had the rules for allies omitted, but official word from GW is both Codices are valid (if you can imagine). To me that says the physical Codex trumps the online version, since quite a few of the people I play with aren't going to have laptops with them and certainly aren't going to bother with printing the PDF to hardcopy.

I suppose what it really comes down to is how soon do you plan to play, and how soon do you honestly think it will take GW to get off their duffs and print a new Codex. The new Codex won't have allies, but more than likely the new Codex is a year or more away from being printed. You can do a lot of gaming in a year.

scar face
18-08-2010, 17:05
My main problems were:

1: What if I buy, say, the immolator and it's not worth taking in the new codex (much like the carnifex), then I'll be in a money wasted position :P

2: What if they make plastic sisters that are as good as the current ones, for a lot cheaper price. Seeming as I'm only a kid, I dont want to be spending unecessary money.

scar

Dio´Ra
18-08-2010, 17:33
My main problems were:

1: What if I buy, say, the immolator and it's not worth taking in the new codex (much like the carnifex), then I'll be in a money wasted position :P

2: What if they make plastic sisters that are as good as the current ones, for a lot cheaper price. Seeming as I'm only a kid, I dont want to be spending unecessary money.

scar

1: make a magnet version of the immolator, magnetise the turret so you can have an immolator or a rhino, whatever you need for the moment. Magnets are your friend when you want to save money.

2: Yeah well either way your spending cash, and I doubt the plastic ones are going to be that much cheaper. You can either start building your army now, play games and have fun modeling, or you can wait for a long long time.

scar face
18-08-2010, 17:37
Yes. Your right- I can't have everything I want.

Btw, do you know why the dark eldar codices etc. havn't been removed from the shelves, yet they are supposedly getting a new 'dex this year.

scar

Dio´Ra
18-08-2010, 17:41

Btw, do you know why the dark eldar codices etc. havn't been removed from the shelves, yet they are supposedly getting a new 'dex this year.

scar

Because they can still sell? It's not like GW made it public news that the DE are getting their update this year. So most people who don't read the internet or new people will buy the dark eldar codex is they want to play dark eldar.

don_mondo
18-08-2010, 17:43

scar

What probably happened is that they ran low on DH/WH codexes and it wasn't worthwhile to do a print run (minimum number required, etc) as they wouldn't be able to sell a significant amount (ie enough to cover the cost of the print run) before they became outdated due toa new release. However, they still have plenty of DE codexes in stock so it remains avaialble.

Go ehead and start buying your WH stuff now, to include that codex. Cause I have a feeling it's a lot more than 5 months away.

mrln68
18-08-2010, 17:44
Can be really tough calls when it comes to the whole "GW on a budget" thing - they don't tend to take budgets into their market plans.

You might consider buying slowly, and not buying the next piece till you are done with the last ones...or better still, see if your local store does any kind of swap meet type stuff (or just ask around to the gamers there). Since the WH line is being moved to direct sales only, the management won't get a bee up their butt about lost sales and all that towards you buying second hand from other gamers (some do).

There are a lot of WH/SoB minis out there gathering dust because they are such excellent miniatures, but a lot of people feel the list isn't strong enough for whatever reason.

MajorWesJanson
18-08-2010, 20:03
Likely releases coming up:
Dark Eldar are in November 2010
Grey Knights are likely Jan/Feb 2011
Necrons are March/April 2011
SoB or Black Templars in Summer 2011
Tau or Eldar in Autumn 2011

It's more than 5 months out, best case closer to 12.

Edited to be more universal in language.

scar face
18-08-2010, 20:05
Tau or Eldar in Fall? What's fall?

scar

IcedAnimals
18-08-2010, 20:07
sisters of battle being 5 months away would put them at january. That is the expected slot for grey knights. and sisters were started after them. While I do expect to see sisters in about a years time. 5 months isn't happening.

Bloodknight
18-08-2010, 20:11
Tau or Eldar in Fall? What's fall?

American English for Autumn.

MajorWesJanson
18-08-2010, 20:42
American English for Autumn.

Yep. Refers to leaves falling from trees.

Fixed for the international readers :D

Iron-Halo-Marine077
18-08-2010, 21:20
im going to be buying some of them soon next moth and yes you should start now.