PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Calvary 2250 Help me out please

Rogzor87
18-08-2010, 22:01
Hello All,

I have been slowly purchasing and working on models to make an almost ALL Goblin Calvary Army.

I plan on Eventually getting to around 2500 but I don't have any Squig Hoppers yet though ): Once I get some I will add them in as well.

This is the List I have so far:

Lords (372)
Goblin Warboss - Wolf, Light Armor, Shield, - 89
Goblin Great Shaman - Wolf, lvl 4, Staff of Sneaky Stealin, Dispell Scroll - 283

Hero (377)
Night Goblin Big Boss - Great Cave Squig, Light Armor, Shield, Sneaky Skewer - 94
Goblin Big Boss - Gigantic Spider, Light Armor, Shield, Mortogs Best Basha - 94
Goblin Big Boss - Wolf, BsB, Light Armor - 89(Haven't picked a Magical Banner yet)

Core (1178)
Forest Goblin Spider Riderx12 - Short Bows, Standard/Mus - 176
Forest Goblin Spider Riderx12 - Short Bows, Standard/Mus - 176
Forest Goblin Spider Riderx20 - Short Bows,Full Command - 310
Goblin Wolf Ridersx12 - Spears, Short Bows, Standard/Mus - 186
Goblin Wolf Ridersx20 - Spears, Short Bows, Shield, Full Command - 330

Special (189)
Goblin Wolf Chariot - Xtra Goblin - 63

Rare (160)
Snotling Pump Wagon - 40
Snotling Pump Wagon - 40
Snotling Pump Wagon - 40
Snotling Pump Wagon - 40

Total = 2176

I don't actually own the Rulebook yet(Waiting for IoB), So alot of things I am not to sure about. Like Calvary and Step Up attacks, Calvary and Volley Fire. I know Calvary aren't as good in this edition apparently. But I really like the Idea of the army and how it "should" flow.

In addition, This army isn't for competitive games So don't go on bashing it because it wouldn't win a tournament. I have been buying/assembling/painting this army because its just something I want to own/have. I know I will have fun with it and its the reason I play this game. I would even take it to tournaments because I honestly just like playing the game win or lose.

Any help to make this more fun or slightly more feasible will be greatly appreciated. Remember this isn't a tournament list but don't think I wouldn't take it to one just for the hell of it (:

TheInsaneBastard
18-08-2010, 22:45
Hey there mate. I'm starting an O&G list myself, and I happened to come across your list here. I would offer a few suggestions on it:

First off, really consider getting the special character Grom the Paunch as your general. He's essential, especially if you're fighting elves.

Secondly, I'd suggest Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner for your BSB. You may also want to put him in a chariot to make him harder to kill.

You may also want to consider Lucky's Dirk and teh Amulet of Protectyness for special items.

Now for your magic: 8th ed rules have made magic more fickle now than in 7th ed (i'll explain below) so you definitely want some more magical protection. I would suggest dropping some characters or other units in favor of two second-level shamans. Also, be sure to include more dispel scrolls in your army. You may also want to reconsider upgrading your Grat Shaman to level four; the points you spend for an extra spell and +1 to your casting attempts might be put to better use elsewhere.

I also noticed you had a few concerns about the new rules. Allow me to clarify:

Charges are now different and more chancy. You can pre-measure, but your charge range is now equal to your Movement value plus 2D6, and should you fail you go forward the number of inches indicated by the highest of the two dice. In the case of cavalry (but not chariots!) you roll 3D6 and discard the lowest roll; treat as infantry from there.

Your fast cavalry can now make a 12-inch move after deployment but before the game starts. Use this wisely. Also, they automatically rally after declaring a fleeing charge reaction, as well as being able to fire on the march. Other than that, all 7th ed rules also apply.

In Melee combat, models don't count as having been slain for the purposes of getting your attacks back. Also, each rider (not the mounts!) in the second rank can make a single attack per round if engaged in the front.

Magic has also been revamped. The number of power dice you get is 2D6. Also you roll a D6 for each wizard you have and each 6 gives you an additional Power dice. Your opponent's dispel dice are equal to the highest of the two Power dice rolls plus any bonuses he gets. You add your wizard's casting level to any casting rolls, but any raw roll of a 1 or 2 results in a failed cast (ut not a miscast.) Double 6's now cause both miscast and irresistible force.

...so there ya go. Hope that helps :D

Rogzor87
18-08-2010, 23:00
Hey there mate. I'm starting an O&G list myself, and I happened to come across your list here. I would offer a few suggestions on it:

First off, really consider getting the special character Grom the Paunch as your general. He's essential, especially if you're fighting elves.

I do own Grom I just don't like him or his rules. In addition, I don't really see a reason with the "fear" elves. Goblins will normally out number them and No one plays Elves at my venue.

Secondly, I'd suggest Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner for your BSB. You may also want to put him in a chariot to make him harder to kill.

Just having an Army BsB lets me reroll all the failed leadership test so that banner is essentially a waste. You can't reroll rerolls

You may also want to consider Lucky's Dirk and teh Amulet of Protectyness for special items.

I might find room for those 2. Just have to work around a bit.

Now for your magic: 8th ed rules have made magic more fickle now than in 7th ed (i'll explain below) so you definitely want some more magical protection. I would suggest dropping some characters or other units in favor of two second-level shamans. Also, be sure to include more dispel scrolls in your army. You may also want to reconsider upgrading your Grat Shaman to level four; the points you spend for an extra spell and +1 to your casting attempts might be put to better use elsewhere.

I have a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 wizard. I can drop the Shaman to a lvl 3 that gives me 2 more Spider or Wolf riders!!!!!!

I also noticed you had a few concerns about the new rules. Allow me to clarify:

Charges are now different and more chancy. You can pre-measure, but your charge range is now equal to your Movement value plus 2D6, and should you fail you go forward the number of inches indicated by the highest of the two dice. In the case of cavalry (but not chariots!) you roll 3D6 and discard the lowest roll; treat as infantry from there.

Your fast cavalry can now make a 12-inch move after deployment but before the game starts. Use this wisely. Also, they automatically rally after declaring a fleeing charge reaction, as well as being able to fire on the march. Other than that, all 7th ed rules also apply.

In Melee combat, models don't count as having been slain for the purposes of getting your attacks back. Also, each rider (not the mounts!) in the second rank can make a single attack per round if engaged in the front.

How does this work with that volley fire? can calvary do it aswell? If so I am giving my larger units bows

...so there ya go. Hope that helps :D

Thanks a ton for that info. I commented to your post in red italics in my quote.

TheInsaneBastard
19-08-2010, 02:11
Thanks a ton for that info. I commented to your post in red italics in my quote.

No problem :)

I forgot to mention that with shooting, now the second rank can shoot as well as the first (though the target, of course, must be the same.) Volley weapons (ie. shortbows) allow half the models in subsequent ranks to fire as well.

My apologies for failing to notice the Wizard's Hat you gave to your Warboss. I would still recommend buying a coupla dispel scrolls though.

Units outnumbered by Fear-causers no longer auto-break, and fear tests are taken at the beginning of the close combat phase and only from models in base contact...though I suppose that with a Gobbo's weapon skill of 2 (don't quote me on that--I don't have the army book in front of me) that wouldn't really matter anyway, because you still need 5's to hit Elves (except with your characters)

Oh! Also, the Horn of Urgok is a nifty little item! See if you can make room for it in your army :)

EDIT: By the way, cavalry shoot in exactly the same way as infantry as far as I'm aware.

Rogzor87
19-08-2010, 03:45

I forgot to mention that with shooting, now the second rank can shoot as well as the first (though the target, of course, must be the same.) Volley weapons (ie. shortbows) allow half the models in subsequent ranks to fire as well.

Guess I need to get more room for bows in me army. No reason not to give everyone a short bow who can have one*Almost the entire army*

My apologies for failing to notice the Wizard's Hat you gave to your Warboss. I would still recommend buying a coupla dispel scrolls though.

Aren't dispell scrolls limit 1 per army now? The people I play with also don't usually go magic heavy since we normally aren't huge fans of it.

Units outnumbered by Fear-causers no longer auto-break, and fear tests are taken at the beginning of the close combat phase and only from models in base contact...though I suppose that with a Gobbo's weapon skill of 2 (don't quote me on that--I don't have the army book in front of me) that wouldn't really matter anyway, because you still need 5's to hit Elves (except with your characters)

Yeah. They are WS 2. So more then likely I will never be hitting anything WS5+ to being with. But I still don't see a reason to take grom. Most the armies I would play against normally are fear causers so fearing elves isn't anymore of an issue (:

Oh! Also, the Horn of Urgok is a nifty little item! See if you can make room for it in your army :)

Still trying to find room for the other 2 items you mentioned to add and the short bows for my 2 larger units.

EDIT: By the way, cavalry shoot in exactly the same way as infantry as far as I'm aware.

Sweet, If this is true that will make alot of things easier.

Oh.... I don't remember but can Fast Calvary flank and negate rank bonuses? Almost my entire army is fast calvary so it would be nice to know.

I actually never played goblins before so I been reading the OnG tactics and all but not much talk of an all calvary army... Though I do own about 300 Goblins (150 NG/150 Normal Goblins) on foot. So eventually i'll be making a Mass horde army for them and probably just use them all as Night Goblins. about 200 of them have bows and the rest are hw/shield.

PANZERBUNNY
19-08-2010, 06:07

Only one dispel scroll per army.
Drop the wizards hat. I really don't see its worth. I wanted to takeit for my army, but I just couldn't justify it.

Rogzor87
19-08-2010, 06:40
Well I can drop the Hat. But I don't know what to give my Warboss in place. I Don't own the 8th rulebook So i have no idea what magic items it has I could use to make him more killy or survivable.

TheInsaneBastard
19-08-2010, 06:51
Well I can drop the Hat. But I don't know what to give my Warboss in place. I Don't own the 8th rulebook So i have no idea what magic items it has I could use to make him more killy or survivable.

I wouldn't necessarily drop the hat; though keep in mind that it does give your dude Stupidity. If you want to give him survivability, again I'd suggest the Amulet of Protectyness. Also, the Trickster's Helm is a must for survivability. It's 50 points, and it gives him +1 armor save and wounds against him must be re-rolled. But again, I'd say invest either in another shaman or at least in more dispel scrolls.

EDIT: I re-read on of my earlier posts regarding melee combat. What I meant to say was that models don't count as being slain IN THE FRONT RANK for purposes of getting your attacks back. That is to say, slaying enough models will still deprive you of attacks from the second rank (or the first rank, if you have so few left that you have to start removing those.) sorry about that ;)

Rogzor87
19-08-2010, 19:36
ok I dropped the Hat, added a dispell scroll, added short bows to my 20x wolf rider unit.... But I need help on how to gearout my goblin warboss.

muse1c
19-08-2010, 21:23
u can only have 3 duplicates of a rare choice

TheInsaneBastard
19-08-2010, 21:37

This is true, unless your army is 3K+.

So why don't you drop a Pump Wagon and spend the remaining points on gear?

I failed to realize that Dispel scrolls are one per army now, but there are several other magic scrolls you can take now (I won't list them here because I'm too lazy :P)

...i may also recommend the Mask of Flee! It is a 25-point Enchanted Item that gives the wearer Terror (but he cannot impart his leadership on others.) It may be an interesting way to turn the tides on those fear-causing enemies you mentioned earlier ;)

Rogzor87
19-08-2010, 21:47

Apparently in the rulebook things that are 2 per slot are still "like" that. So even though its 2 max for a rare. since Pump Wagons are 2 per 1 I can have 4. Same with Spear Chukka's you can have 6 in < 3k.

Rogzor87
24-08-2010, 04:48
So any help on how to deck out my general? or advice to make this list more fun yet slightly more reliable?

Once I get someone near where I live to play with me I shall let you all now how well an almost ALL goblin calvary army works in gameplay.

therisnosaurus
24-08-2010, 05:10
unfortunately you're very likely to get reamed, rather hard. units of cavalry that large will have a hard time making flanks, and even goblin cavalry will only average as good in combat as empire halberds or clanrats due to their lower WS. With lots of blocks of elite infantry running around, you're gonna have a really hard time taking points off people. This goes double with units like blocks of 12 spiders, since they're I2/4, you're likely to lose quite a few of them before they get to attack against most targets (against elves it's fairly likely most of the unit will die- and fail their fear check since there's no US now. 12 spider riders will fear any elf units above 6 strong. As you've said, this isn't so much of a problem for you, but the same principle applies vs chaos, vs empire, vs skaven, vs demons etc. Anything with I3 and a bit of punch is going to be really hard for you to overcome.

Add to that rather vulnerable to shooting and magic and you're taking some big risks :(

also @ above poster, raggedy grot's banner is useless now, BSB does that natively. I'd suggest stacking up on defensive items, possibly MR 3 or the heavy armor with 4+ ward. You need that BSB alive for his default effect a lot more than you need any of the crappy magic banners he can take.