PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts or Lizardmen?

Autarch_Ruairi
18-08-2010, 22:30
hey im a new player to fantasy...have a bit of experience with 40k and can tell their very different games with very different rules but fantasy intrigues me. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and give advice on what army i should start with. the only 2 im really interested in are Lizardmen and Vampire Counts, but, since i dont have the army books im not too certain on their playstyles. Could somebody help me out and give me a rough view on the playstyles of the two, and which they would take and why.

Thanks in advance!
Ruairi

wysematt2222
19-08-2010, 01:15
There are plenty of threads out there already that would give you this same information, but as I am an individual that really believes in not being a giant ******* and just helping people out, Ill throw down a quick overview.

The Vampire Counts army is one in a giant state of flux right now, most of the long-standing players are having to learn a few new tricks, as fear and terror got blasted in 8th edition. That being said, a real quick overview of the army includes very powerful characters, which can straight up bash people in the face, go extremely magic heavy, or do a good balance. Their troops are not the most amazing, but rank up there with skaven for expendability. The VC army revolves around summoning new units and replacing models lost from existing ones. They have access to some of the most powerful cavalry in the game, ignoring point costs, but the army is usually stronger when utilizing the tricks of the army instead of just stabbing away with vamps.

Lizardmen on the other hand, are dead hard. Their basic troop, the Saurus warrior, is a beast in its own right, multiple attacks and high toughness strength. LM have access to the most powerful non-special character casters in the game, Slann are straight up sick. Saurus heroes are scary cheap for what they do, and can fight some lord choices on pretty even grounds. Skinks can be great support units, and salamanders are one of the best template using units in the game; whole units will disappear after 1 or 2 salamanders get done with shooting.

Post more specific requests if you have any further questions, Ill try to answer them.

Autarch_Ruairi
19-08-2010, 16:25
Thanks wysematt!

Well another question of mine would be which is the more popular army? Im leaning towards Lizardmen right now coz expendable troops arent really my thing, thats more my rivals forté (hes just starting a Skaven Army ^^) Which out of VC and Lizardmen would be better at using magic? Again, apologies if im sounding like a noob at fantasy here...coz i kinda am atm ^^ thanks again!

Ruairí

Dead Man Walking
19-08-2010, 18:29
If you field a Slaan you have the king of mages, but if you only field skink priests then a VC will have the upper hand in casting magic.

Alltaken
19-08-2010, 19:24
VC are more attrition sort of game. Though they can go very straight damage dealers with some cavalry, heroes, etc.

LM are more active damage dealers and they're more "elite" army style. They hace movibility but not the kings of it and gooooood shooting, while not kinging again

Both are CC armies primarly. LM do have a nice shooting face though.

Autarch_Ruairi
19-08-2010, 20:55
Thanks for the help all of you, ive decided on Lizardmen in the end. In 40k i really liked anything if it was Fast enough, Tough enough or Strong enough. LM seem to fit this descripton perfectly, having gd movement in some units, great resilience and heavy hitters. Ill be posting up my first army list soon if any of you would like to take a look! thanks!

Ruairí

fer
19-08-2010, 21:11
one thing to keep in mind is that while lizardmen are quite strong...their initiative is trash so you'll pretty much always be striking last in combat :)

the cold blooded leadership rules is lovely though

Dead Man Walking
19-08-2010, 21:24
One of the nice things about Lizardmen is that there are many ways to build the list effectively, there is no 'One list to rule them all'. Just understand that Cold one Calvary, terradons, snake swarms, and the spikey version of sallies are some of the least effective units in the army.

I own about 6,000 points worth of lizzies because theres always some other way I want to field the army. I really enjoyed the 6th-7th edition all kroxigor army that I made (with a few skinks added in). It was a terror on the table for its time.

Balerion
19-08-2010, 21:37
Thanks for the help all of you, ive decided on Lizardmen in the end. In 40k i really liked anything if it was Fast enough, Tough enough or Strong enough. LM seem to fit this descripton perfectly, having gd movement in some units, great resilience and heavy hitters. Ill be posting up my first army list soon if any of you would like to take a look! thanks!

Ruairí
If that's the style that appeals to you than Lizardmen are the right choice. Vampires don't have many elite options. Most of our troops are quite crappy, actually (but we can drown you in them).

Autarch_Ruairi
20-08-2010, 12:18
Well im used to playing a slow army (40k Nurgle Daemons...you dont get much slower then that) Cold One Cavalry are ineffective? I had some in my list but you know, never having played a fantasy game before, i have noooo idea whats good or bad. Should i replace them with some Kroxigors and Salamanders? ive heard great things about Salamanders.

Dumbledore
20-08-2010, 12:49
Go for the salamanders, they are incredible this edition and cold ones are a bit rubbish unless your army is completely built around them (not worth it IMO). Also, if you're taking a slann then either lore of life or lore of light are very good. They are both supportive lores that can be used to make your saurus even tougher - light makes them strike first with great weapon skill, life makes them even tougher and harder to kill. Life is better IMO.

You will be pleased to hear that fluffwise the natural enemy of lizardkind are those ratty scum.

Autarch_Ruairi
20-08-2010, 23:26
Haha ya i almost jumped for joy when i read that. Lore of Light or Lore of Life eh? Well to me the striking first sounds better...making up for their poor initiative, but sure ill try em both out and see what works for me, thanks for the suggestion :D