PDA

View Full Version : Official September 2010 White Dwarf (USA 368, UK 369 etc) Feedback Thread

Wintermute
19-08-2010, 14:28
Its time for yet another White Dwarf Feedback thread, this time for the September issue (US 368, UK 369 etc).

If any of you wish to make more general comments about WD, please will you make them in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

I would like to make a couple of other requests. If you post the score you have given to the current WD on the thread, would you please explain why especially if you have voted 1 or 10. I think this is useful (and interesting) for other WarSeer members reading the thread, it also provides useful feedback for others who read the thread which may include GW Staffers.

The other request is related to the previous one. Do not criticise people for posting their score and views about WD, I believe we are all entitled to voice our opinions without the the fear of them being criticised.

As always, all off-topic posts and spam will be deleted without notice.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Gaz Taylor
24-08-2010, 15:42
There isn't really much to say about this issue. If you like Warhammer and plan on getting the Island of Blood Boxed set, then this is a 'alright' issue and worthy of a 7.

However if you play other systems or aren't that interested in the new boxed set it's quite a low scoring issue. I gave it a 5 because the painting advice is quite nice but if I didn't play WFB I would be really annoyed and give it a 2!

DarthSte
26-08-2010, 09:12
The IoB information was quite detailed and interesting (I actually read it). I liked the Daemons Apocalypse data-sheets too, 4 new sheets IIRC. The 'Eavy Metal, post bag Q&A was alright. I enjoyed the 'Eavy Metal team member showcase this month, Sigvald in teal looked really goo.
I thought it was a fairly good "all round issue", I felt that they had tried to balance the content between LotR, 40K and "the hobby" - obviously WHFB got the major space in the magazine.
To me it felt like it would be a good magazine to give away free to kids buying IoB, so that they'd have a good idea of the wider hobby.
I'd give it a 7.

stahly
26-08-2010, 12:47
The issue felt packed with good content. Great terrain and model showcases, 6 pages of fluff, the 'eavy Metal tutorials were awesome and covered a lot of different races, the tank camo patterns were nice as well... 8 in my book

Mojaco
26-08-2010, 23:22
3rd WFB issue in a row, next seems to go at it again with High Elves. What do 40k people get? The same stuff they got in the spearhead issue; too many pictures of Russes.

A lot of pretty pictures of models, but 90% we've seen countless times before. Don't they see that getting user content in there does
a) save time and money
b) more variety
c) not hurt quality; there's tons of awesome armies out there. You don't have to work in Notingham to be able to make a nice conversion or paint job.

Please stop boring me White Dwarf. It's such an issue think to fix, yet you refuse!

I'll go read the Isle of Blood articles, maybe that'll make me like this issue. Doubt it though.

EmperorNorton
26-08-2010, 23:41
When I flipped through it there seemed to be a good number of interesting articles with a decent spread over the three games.
I started to read the IoB article, but that turned to skimming rather quickly, because as usual they were saying as little as possible with as many words as possible. The fluff for IoB wasn't exactly inspired, either. But at least it's something.
The painting tutorials are very nice, though. I wish they'd do these in the same length every month.

6/10 from me, which is a decent score compared to a lot of previous issues.

Weemo
27-08-2010, 09:29
Well given its recent record, i would say white dwarf performed about average, i used to like battle reports but IMO they take up so much space and are really boring after a while, i just look at the pictures of nicely painted armies and skimm the rest. The eavy metal article was good, but pretty much the only decent article in there. I liked the battlefields mini article but apart from that the rest is rubbish.

The tank stuff is ridiculous, you'd think their lemun russ sales are dropping or something, last month was tank formations or something and this month is tank markings, i mean its what makes me lose interest in 40k endless boredom.

There used to be articles which focused on the parts of the hobby that people enjoy, white dwarf has turned into a means of advertising, which is unlikely to work, the best adverts GW has is word of mouth, thats how i got my two friends into the hobby. GW would have a lot more subcribers if they took more effort over the magazine, it should be their best product, if it is a way of advertising it should be the best advertising possible, boring your customer mindless with repetition will not work.

(oh and whats the guess there will be a high elf bat rep with new high elf models next month?)

spetswalshe
27-08-2010, 16:25
When I flipped through it there seemed to be a good number of interesting articles with a decent spread over the three games.
I started to read the IoB article, but that turned to skimming rather quickly, because as usual they were saying as little as possible with as many words as possible. The fluff for IoB wasn't exactly inspired, either. But at least it's something.
The painting tutorials are very nice, though. I wish they'd do these in the same length every month.

Same. The first half of this issue bored the hell out of me - even the battle report was pretty lame, and I love Warhammer. If you've already seen the IoB models, you're not going to find anything interesting here. However, I was very impressed with the painting article - finally they give something for everyone, rather than explaining in detail how to paint one specific model for the benefit of the seven or eight readers with the skill to achieve such a standard, as well as ten hours or so going spare - and despite not giving a crap about LotR I enjoyed the army focus, as I always do, purely because that is what I want from WD; getting to see people's armies, well photographed and professionally laid out. Because we've seen the studio armies a bajillion times before, and even seeing the same models painted in the same colours by a different person with a different style is an enormous improvement.

spetswalshe
28-08-2010, 17:58
Having read through the thing again, two more points;

First - I am disappointed that I didn't get a free plastic Skaven or High Elf. I mean I don't really want either but last time I picked up a box-launch WD I got literally the best sculpt that ever came out for Mordheim. Twas metal, too.

Second - This month's battle report was, obviously, Warhammer. Next month's promises to be one directly from Island of Blood. That means four Warhammer batreps in a row. Whoever the editor is now, he genuinely doesn't give a monkey's.

Wintermute
28-08-2010, 18:15
Second - This month's battle report was, obviously, Warhammer. Next month's promises to be one directly from Island of Blood. That means four Warhammer batreps in a row. Whoever the editor is now, he genuinely doesn't give a monkey's.

I going to make an off-topic reply this to comment and I don't expect replies in this thread. If anyone wishes to reply please do so here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

The content of WD is dictated by the products GW wish to promote that month/issue or those which have been released that month. Therefore the comment

Whoever the editor is now, he genuinely doesn't give a monkey's. is both unfair and inaccurate because it is not the editor's choice.

Wintermute

Gatsby
29-08-2010, 19:44
i REALLY liked the painting tips and walk through, and if they keep this up i may have to start buying them every month.

TheBigBadWolf
30-08-2010, 21:28
Having read through the thing again, two more points;

First - I am disappointed that I didn't get a free plastic Skaven or High Elf. I mean I don't really want either but last time I picked up a box-launch WD I got literally the best sculpt that ever came out for Mordheim. Twas metal, too.

This, we got a terminator and an ork one of the last times.

I gave it a 5, middle of the road issue for me, the painting stuff was good as others have remarked.

orlanth1000
01-09-2010, 08:55
I'm going to say this....that WD seems to be heading back in the right direction, even if your not a fan of fanatsy.

I'm not sure what what real direction the new WD editor has in this change ( I've been told they don't have much control over direction ), but I'm liking it.

Rolf
01-09-2010, 17:51
I liked the painting articles but the rest was uninspiring. The apocalypse datasheets were good, but nothing really interesting. I gave it a 5 of average.

DarthSte
02-09-2010, 11:44
I hadn't really considered the lack of miniatures on the cover... it is a shame really. Would have been a nice extra for subscribers or something..
Just thinking back to what I've got in the past...
A house Goliath ganger; a Necron warrior; the Mordheim elf fellow; a gobbo and dwarf; a few tactical marines (2nd Ed. and 4th Ed.); the Terminator and Nob - anything else recently (within the last 20 years...)?

Tarax
03-09-2010, 08:18
I think they didn't do a free miniature was because they are special in several ways. The High Elves are mostly one piece models, but are quite elaborate sculpts. The Skaven are not much to go by.
And I think you don't get that same feeling of Warhammer as you did with the Goblin and Dwarf. Yet, it's an overlooked aspect of the WD.

Haven't read the story yet (not much interested in the background) nor the BR (not quite sure if I want to (play)), so can't give a definite rating yet. Though painting was nice.

Yunaris
03-09-2010, 20:32
I gave a 9. The painting article was absolutely excellent, I felt it helped me alot considering I'm a fresh returner to the game who couldn't paint bugger all when I left it a decade ago.

The Isle of Blood stuff was interesting and well presented, I did feel they waffled abit at some points, but it was pretty darn good.

tcraigen
06-09-2010, 22:06
I was disapointed right out of the gate as it seems to be that you no longer get to have your issue arrive in the mail before the month starts these days. I am happy that it is for the first time since the canadian branch closed was delivered before the second week of the month Sept the 3rd is better but if I wanted to I could get it from my local comic store sans tax and on the 1st. of the month. I was annoyed to see another fully dominated issue, they seem to have to be one game system or the other these days and unless you count LoTRs variety it was all Fantasy. Ads are a part of the WD world and aren't going away but seem to fill 25% or more of the issues these days. Since the whole magazine is technically a big ad I hate this way of pushing product. Rather then showing me 4 available tanks, show me a two page article on them. All negatives aside, I 1. got this issue without having to call and ask where it was, 2. still enjoyed looking at the new fantasy stuff, and 3. was hugely impressed by the large hobby section in this issue. If it wasn't for that I would give it a 4-5 mark. But I decided it earned a low 7 in my books. If all had a painting and hobby section of this quality in each issue I'd have given it a 6 since the issue practically ignored 40k but in comparison to most other issues produced these days it earned it's 7. If this is the future trend I may renew subscription if not then... I may give up on it like I did going into GW stores.

Croaker2
10-09-2010, 15:26
I hear more and more about the proof reading of GW...

In just the one Island of Blood article/story Kalaer's name is spelled three different ways:

Kalaer
Kaler
Kalor

really?

Nuada
10-09-2010, 15:39
I thought it was above average, i gave it a 7. But i'm a warhammer player, so that's probably why.

I read the battle report for a change. I don't normally bother, unless it's something unusual. Last bat rep i read in WD was the big legendary battle with the big orc machine knocking down castle walls.
8th ed articles go on a bit, love the island of blood terrain board. Thought i'd add it's a shame about Ted, he's a good bloke. Hope you get another job soon.

Aedes
15-09-2010, 00:06
No idea why people gave it such a high marking--
I found it BOORING.
Just plain advertising.
Gave it a 4.

DarkReaver
15-09-2010, 06:49
I'm no Warhammer fan since 40K is my thing and I got nothing again Warhammer having it's own issue but this many months in a row is kinda killing it for me.

I'm also pretty much seeing the same stuff over and over.

A 3 from me.

War Angel
22-09-2010, 15:10
*High Elf Models: Good pictures either in battle with Skaven or as New Releases. :)
Special mention to High Elf Prince on Griffon and High Elf Mage. Skaven models aren't bad either.

* Skaven Models: The master Moulder looks great with that cattle prod looking device in his hand. :D
The Skaven Poisoned Wind Mortor models look good. Rats with gass masks.

The facial expression on the Warpfire Thrower gunner makes me think him with maniacal laughter. :evilgrin:
Or saying "Ahhhh I'll get you!"

* Black Library books: Hunt For Voldorius and Fear The Alien sound like good action back stories.

* Forge World: Ork Stompa looks bad ass. :skull:

* This issue had a Liber Apocalyptica article. :) Regardless of what's in it I always like these.
Seeing what new formations have been made and what is in each. Love that Dark Angels are
represented in the picture at the beginning. Even if they are going to get ripped a new one.
Still I guess there's always faith. No matter how bleak the chances of victory are.
The Fateweaver's Council Of Dispair is my favorite. I like how all four major Chaos powers are represented.
At first I thought Tzeetch had an unfair advantage having to representives, but after reading the
descrption I see why.

* Chaos Daemon models: These look great. The Blood Crushers of Khorne look really bad ass and appropriate
for someone of Khorne's mentality. Just use brute force, blood will flow and all will be well.

* Ask 'Eavy Metal: I love that they explain how to paint Power Weapons. I was going to look at
Astorath The Grim and decipher it out from there. But now I have intructions. :) Painting dead flesh instructions
could be useful someday. Also some insight on painting necrotic flesh. Nice to see Altansar represented in the
article and a color scheme. I thought they were black and more ghostly looking though.

* Imperial Guard Tank Markings: Good to look at and real the story material. Especially about stuff
I'd never heard of before. The Pintax and Vidar regiments. I may not have heard about the
Harkoni 'Ash Barons' before. But either way they sound fun. Fighting on an Ash World that's so different than
a real world Earthlike green planet.

Neutral:

* Haven't read the Standar Bearer article yet but the topic sounds interesting.

* Usually just skim over the Lord of the Rings sections so I don't have anything to say about them. Good or bad.

Dislike:

* Chaos Daemon models: Since when do Daemonettes wear corsets? Did someone complain about naked daemons
and demand that GW change them? Why would Daemons of any kind wear clothing of any kind? Except for
tough looking armour that is. They don't have the societal norms of beliefs humans do. It's not like they'd think
"Oh (chaos god of choice) I'm naked and I must cover up!" Does this mean there's dressing rooms filled with
Daemonettes trying on stuff and asking advice from their friends? "Does this clothing make me look fat?" or things of that sort.

I'm no Warhammer fan since 40K is my thing and I got nothing again Warhammer having it's own issue but this many months in a row is kinda killing it for me.
I agree with you. Being purely a 40k fan at present I look for 40k articles. Got nothing against Fantasy; may even try them someday.
Lord of the Rings models look good but have no real plans on getting into them. Plus I think the articles take up space that could be
used for 40k or Fantasy.