PDA

View Full Version : what makes up a dark elf raiding army?

dwarfhold13
19-08-2010, 15:12
i've tried a list with a lot ofcorsairs in it last edition and it just didn't work.. but with the new rules corsairs with the frenzy banner are a good bit betternow..
what else would you put in the list? or consider part of a raiding list?

Jon

SideshowLucifer
19-08-2010, 16:02
Dark Riders, Shades, Crossbowmen...basicly anything lightly armored with mobility fits that theme fairely well.

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-08-2010, 16:27
Everything apart from Black Guards, Executioners, Witch Elves and the Cauldron of Blood would fit easily into a raiding force. And I suppose if you want to make whoever leads the raiding force either connected to the Temple of Khaine or a loyal follower you could justify the Exes and the Witches too. Black Guards gets a little trickier, but they might be there to ensure that Malakiths specific orders are carried out.

chivalrous
19-08-2010, 19:19
I put together a themed list here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4867097&postcount=1), with the restrictions I imposed on myself. You're by no means obliged to do the same but I hope it's useful to you.

WiganUltra
20-08-2010, 03:12
As well as Corsairs, Dark Riders are (IIRC) normally part of raiding forces and RBTs are used on ships/Arcs, so I imagine they'd have plenty of those available.

If I ever get round to DE I'm going for a force based mainly around these, plus crossbows (either modelled as Corsairs or passed of as lower ranking crew), a tag-along sorceress (who might be there to find new spells/artefacts/whatever) and 1 unit of Cold Ones ( - just because the models are ace! - who could either also be tag-alongs or maybe even the elite of the Corsairs)

Hydras could work as well, as I could imagine them being caged on the Arc. Or I suppose anything could be justified as Gorbad suggests, although personally I would avoid the more unusual stuff like Executioners and Black Guard (more than maybe one such unit and it might as well not be a themed army anyway!).

Sinzaren
20-08-2010, 03:38
Background wise DE raiding parties are usually funded by a Highborn or Noble trying to make a name or profit. So as well as the Corsair crew from the ships, you would have whatever the Noble brought along with him, which could be anything depending on his standing or which of the cities he is from.

I've been putting together a list for the 'Tale of Gamers' thread in the painting section based around a Corsair raiders theme. I've gone for four 21 strong Corsair units, 2 hydras a Sorceress and a Corsair captain (master) I still have a few points to spare so was either going to add some crossbows, reapers or possibly make up a slave unit (freshly captured).

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-08-2010, 06:31
Background wise DE raiding parties are usually funded by a Highborn or Noble trying to make a name or profit. So as well as the Corsair crew from the ships, you would have whatever the Noble brought along with him, which could be anything depending on his standing or which of the cities he is from.

Especially since outside of major invasions of Ulthuan, the various raiding fleets would really be the standard dark elf force. And while I know it doesn't quite work like that it would be a little silly if the "standard army" only really used two or three choices from the entire list.

Chariots might be a bit iffy too (adding to my previous post), simply because they are big and unwieldy machines but for a rich enough Lord that wouldn't really be a problem. Especially if we are talking about someone based on a Black Ark. Those things are practically city sized themselves so anything goes!

kyussinchains
20-08-2010, 22:29
I would say a single unit of Cold one knights to represent the nobles in charge of the raid would fit nicely, as well as a dude on a big gribbly monster as the general..... other than that, lots of dark riders and corsairs, as well as bolt throwers and a few soliders (crossbowmen/spearmen) to represent the black ark crewmen

Shadow_Steed
20-08-2010, 23:32
Corsairs, a group of greedy nobles (CoK), crossbowmen, harpies, Hydra (monster from the sea). =)