PDA

View Full Version : Old Skeletons vs New Skeletons

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-08-2010, 19:36
Hi Peoples,

An opportunity has come up for me to buy up a load of the old (as in the version before the currents one) vampire counts skeletons cheaply. My question is whether they will still look good in comparison to the new ones (not that I own any of the new ones, but I still want them to look good). I know that they aren't as detailed and in an older style, but from what I've seen they still look quite funky and characterful. So what do you people think, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,

Nixon

Bloodknight
19-08-2010, 19:37
They don't mix, but if you can get enough for an army for cheap and don't hate how they look, you can take the opportunity ;).

xxRavenxx
19-08-2010, 19:41
They look like the skeletons from a race of 9 foot tall bobbleheads...

If you can see past that... go for it. I personally couldn't.

ryderawsome
19-08-2010, 20:16
go for it. old ones look nicer in my opinion. realism really shouldnt be an issue in game with dragons, wizards and giant rat powered doom machines

PeG
19-08-2010, 20:39
Look at it from the bright side they are easier to hide between.

Balerion
19-08-2010, 20:56
I think the old ones are wretched looking, particularly in comparison to the new models. But to each his own.

If your choice is between no Skellies and old Skellies I would pick up the old ones, but if you're able to pick up the new ones I'd stick to them.

mrtn
19-08-2010, 22:23
I'm in the "they look crap" camp. If you want cheap skellies, have you looked at Mantic's?

Loopstah
19-08-2010, 22:25
The old ones are rubbish, they are badly proportioned and comical.

The new skeletons are very nicely detailed but a bit gothic.

The very old skeletons are the best and they're the ones I use, plain but properly sized.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
20-08-2010, 00:41
I'm in the "they look crap" camp. If you want cheap skellies, have you looked at Mantic's?

Cheers for that, I might go for them instead. They look really good. Are they alright for size? And people have had no problem ordering from Mantic?

Cheers,

Nixon

Balerion
20-08-2010, 00:58
Cheers for that, I might go for them instead. They look really good. Are they alright for size? And people have had no problem ordering from Mantic?

Cheers,

Nixon
I've never seen them in person, but the general consensus is that they have slightly smaller proportions than GW models. However, if you use exclusively mantic skellies they will look fine; if you have GW skellies also on the table, the mantic ones will look wonky.

geldedgoat
20-08-2010, 01:10
What do the old ones look like?

Better question: Is there an online resource that has pics of all old models listed by edition?

eyescrossed
20-08-2010, 07:18
Ew. Just no. If the old ones had flesh on their bones they'd have the head of an Ogre with Down's Syndrome and the body of a malnourished child.

scarletsquig
20-08-2010, 08:01

Cheers,

Nixon

I own a bunch of them, they're fine for size, slightly taller than GW's skeletons and more slender but nothing too jarring. They look great and the sprue is quite fun too.

The only problems ordering from Mantic have involved pre-orders of things being delayed, but that won't be an issue with the skeletons, since they've been out since January.

Old School
20-08-2010, 08:24
I've recently bought 2 boxes of the OOP skellies off eBay, and I've ALWAYS loved them!

I don't like the newer models, they have too much 'stuff' all over them. The old ones are a joy to paint. Undercoat -> Devlan Mud wash -> Gryphon Sepia wash -> Drybrush bones -> Paint weapons = done! Can do 6 at a time, in no time.

I'm just a sucker to the old Ray Harryhausen's idea of a skellie, butt-naked with just a sword and a shield.

I also bought a horde of Mantic skellies, and they have way too much going on them too. Armour, clothes, helmets, straps etc... Still nice, but a nightmare to paint quickly.

They also make excellent Bloodbowl players too! If you don't want them, I'll buy them!

;)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
20-08-2010, 10:58
Cheers for everyone's replies, I'll go mantic. I don't mind the old skellies, but the newer more detailed one are a bit better IMO, it was the price that was really swaying me. But I would have actually been buying them for more than the amount I would spend at Mantic, so it just isn't worth it.

Old School, the postage might be a bit much just for bloodbowl players ;).

Nixon