PDA

View Full Version : Norland Empire 2k (revised)

Trick
19-08-2010, 20:59
Hi all, I've done a lot of thinkin' and tinkerin' and I've revised my Nordland army to a more efficient build. I've also added a griffon so I have an excuse to convert that gorgeous model in the new starter set. Again, the theme is a balanced (chiefly combat oriented) brigade on the march. Let me know what you think.

Nordland Coastal Brigade 2k
Lord (352pts)
General O’Flaherty of Albion; Griffon, Full Plate, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Sigismund
352pts

Heroes (303pts)
Katarina, Battle Wizard; Lore of Fire
65pts
Sammael the Shadowweaver, Battle Wizard; Lore of Shadow, Level 2, Dispel Scroll *joins the first Spear regiment
125pts
Captain Karl Wolfen; BSB, Banner of Valour, Full Plate Armour
113pts *joins the Halberdiers

Core (991pts)
39 Halberdiers; Full Command, Banner of Duty
- 10 Swordsmen
285pts
19 Spearmen; Full Command
- 9 Handgunners
- 9 Free Company
232pts
15 Spearmen; Full Command
- 5 Archers
135pts
10 Crossbowmen; Musician
85pts
10 Knights of the Argent Dragon; Musician, Standard
254pts

Special (352pts)
15 Greatswords; Full Command
180pts
5 Pistoliers; Musician
97pts
Mortar
75pts

Total: 1,998pts

The idea is for a solid line of infantry anchored to the Halberdiers and BSB and supported by the Mortar, Crossbowmen and missile detachments. The Pistoliers will scour one flank with the aim of breaking past to engage enemy warmachines while the Knights and Griffon-mounted general will sweep through the other flank to carve into the opposing battleline.
(of course, I'm completley new to Fantasy so my strategy may be a complete pile of griffon ****, but that's why I'd like your help) ;)
Cheers

Trick

zanzibar
20-08-2010, 03:43
I don't get small units of spearmen now in 8th ed. swap them for halbediers and group them together, i like the fluffy angle behind this list. 15 greatswords might be a bit small for 2000 pt games, Perhaps think about more knights instead for useful flank charges?
You could always gor for another 6 knights and split them into two units of 8 (5 fron tank, 3 2nd rank) for these flank charges, whilst ur infantry (steadfast formation) hold the line at the front.
Zan

zanzibar
20-08-2010, 03:44
Also really cool name for a knights chapter!!!

Trick
20-08-2010, 16:33
I don't get small units of spearmen now in 8th ed. swap them for halbediers and group them together, i like the fluffy angle behind this list. 15 greatswords might be a bit small for 2000 pt games, Perhaps think about more knights instead for useful flank charges?
You could always gor for another 6 knights and split them into two units of 8 (5 fron tank, 3 2nd rank) for these flank charges, whilst ur infantry (steadfast formation) hold the line at the front.
Zan

Well, I don't have any models yet so I can swap and shift things around no problem. What about trading out the 19 spearmen for more Greatswords and something else? The block of 15 spears I'd prefer to keep as I want to get Pirazo's Lost Legion in as some mercenary flavouring.

Not to sound too much like a noob, but what's the benefit of changing the knights into a 5/3 formation instead of 5/5?

Also really cool name for a knights chapter!!!
Thanks! :P

Trick

Jericho
20-08-2010, 16:58
I definitely agree the 15&5 unit won't be a huge benefit to the army. 5 Archers won't make a great support unit, and the Spearmen themselves are a bit small to be effective. The second they take a wound they are losing attacks. Pikemen could make halberdiers if you wanted to proxy them. Spearmen have shields in their profile which makes Pirazzo's a bit more awkward.

If you take the 10 Crossbowmen and attach them to a unit of 20 Halberdiers, then you can still use Pirazzo models. I would definitely try to get a couple more models in with the Greatswords, if at all possible.

zanzibar
21-08-2010, 02:46
Sorry if i wasn't clear mate, 5/3 because u woud have 2 units of 8 knights (16total) instead of 1 unit of 10 knights.
Zan

Trick
21-08-2010, 07:48
Sorry if i wasn't clear mate, 5/3 because u woud have 2 units of 8 knights (16total) instead of 1 unit of 10 knights.
Zan

No, no I got that one mate :) just wondering about the lack of a full rank behind the first as opposed to two full ranks in a 10 man unit. I take it the second rank isn't necessary for knights on a flank charge, right?

I definitely agree the 15&5 unit won't be a huge benefit to the army. 5 Archers won't make a great support unit, and the Spearmen themselves are a bit small to be effective. The second they take a wound they are losing attacks. Pikemen could make halberdiers if you wanted to proxy them. Spearmen have shields in their profile which makes Pirazzo's a bit more awkward.

If you take the 10 Crossbowmen and attach them to a unit of 20 Halberdiers, then you can still use Pirazzo models. I would definitely try to get a couple more models in with the Greatswords, if at all possible.
Well, I think for simplicity's sake I'll leave them as spearmen but I do like your idea of attaching crossbowmen, I think it would fit Pirazzo's perfectly, wish I'd have thought of it first! :P So I guess I could make Pirazzo's a unit of 20 with attached Crossbows (how many to be effective?), drop the 15-man unit and try and split the points between Knights and/or Greatswords.
Oh and I double-checked the Empire book and Spearmen need to pay for shields so I'll just leave them off Pirazzo's.

Cheers again,

Trick

zanzibar
22-08-2010, 09:16
yep, just a front rank of 5 as far as i know

Chaos Undecided
22-08-2010, 09:42
You need 2 or more ranks of at least 5 models to disrupt the charged units rank bonus so in a unit of 2x5 Knights a single casualty will render that unit useless for such a task. I'd be tempted to drop the smaller spear unit and detachment and use the point to either boost the number in your greatswords and/or other spear unit or increase the size of your artillery train a single mortar looks rather lonely on your list.

Out of interest what model do you intend to use for your fire mage?