PDA

View Full Version : games workshop

geraint
20-08-2010, 22:04
why don't games workshop ever do sales , like 20% off or somthing of that sort , they'dsell loads of models, every other high street shop has them why havent gw had one????

mrln68
20-08-2010, 22:10
Prepare to have the thread moved...but mostly because they are stingy bastiges and don't give deals on much of anything.

feno12
20-08-2010, 22:11
because they live in the 80's where there wasn't such a thing :P

TeddyC
20-08-2010, 22:19
They used to have sales.... well it was more buy 3 get cheapest free. THats how I got my Arabaal the undefeated... cant remember what else I purchased with him though

narrativium
20-08-2010, 22:19
Think about why the other stores have sales, and you'll see why GW doesn't have to.

enygma7
20-08-2010, 22:22
Actually, they used to have sales of a sort. I remember in every white dwarf there was a special army deal where you could buy the armies used in the battle report at a reduced rate. They also did posters which offered special deals on regiments and armies. Every time a new store opened there were special deals. That was way back in the early 90s, you young 'uns wouldn't remember it. Of course, space marines had beaks in them days, not like these new fangled ones. Nurse! Where's my pudding?

Ahh, those were the days <grizzle>

marv335
20-08-2010, 22:25
1. the stock has an unlimited shelf life
2. the stock is not seasonal so there is no need to get rid of "last years colour"
3. the projected increase in sales does not make up for the loss in revenue from the discount.

There's three reasons to be going on with.

You can cover it by basicly saying that economic theory says it's a bad idea.

fox-hound
20-08-2010, 22:48
Your gonna get closed. But anyway, cause what others said and, you still buy it don't you? Why put it on sell when people are willing to pay full price?

LonelyPath
20-08-2010, 22:48
They used to have Mega Sales when product lines/items were deleted from the current range and great offers for Grand Openings and Games Day, but those ended a long, long time ago. They really came to an end when the company went into the big growth spurt in the mid 1990s.

jasdc1
20-08-2010, 23:35
Late 90's early 00's, anybody remeber Trollboss Bobs' Bargain Basement? Those were the days. Best deals I remember jumping on, like a fat kid with a cupcake, were $15 BFG Battleships.

rabblerouser
20-08-2010, 23:48
Late 90's early 00's, anybody remeber Trollboss Bobs' Bargain Basement? Those were the days. Best deals I remember jumping on, like a fat kid with a cupcake, were $15 BFG Battleships.

Haha I remember that. They used to have specials every so often... usually through mail order or sometimes the store cleared out a discontinued range. Not in the last ten years though.

tongalad
20-08-2010, 23:50
Grand openings...those were the days! I was first through the doors at GW Middlesbrough in 98 (I believe) where everything was 3 for 2....my receipt was over 7 feet long!

LonelyPath
21-08-2010, 00:02
Grand openings...those were the days! I was first through the doors at GW Middlesbrough in 98 (I believe) where everything was 3 for 2....my receipt was over 7 feet long!

WOW! Middlesborough was the last Grand Opening I went to! I use to travel about England going to various opening if I knew people in the area and visit for the weekend. I'd go to the openings, go see bands or whatever in the evening and travel back the next day, normally ladened with more bags than people really should be able to carry. I really wish they would bring those back.

misterboff
21-08-2010, 00:16
When they changed to 'white metal' (late 90's IIRC) they had a huge clearance of all of the old metal models, and there were tons of bargains to be had.

I also remember my Aunty getting me a copy of Gorkamorka from her local store's Grand Opening/Re-Opening for just 25 by using a 15 off voucher from White Dwarf!

The 'buy 3 get the cheapest free' offers were pretty cool too. I think Paul Sawyer (Fat Bloke/ex-WD editor) went to a Grand Opening in the original Tale of Four Gamers and got a head start on the rest of the guys (and spent his change on a bacon butty)!

misterboff

chromedog
21-08-2010, 00:40
There are also issues that they have as a manufacturer and wholesaler as well as retailer.
If they have a sale, their stockists would be effected and there would be a whole kerfuffle of related issues to go with it.

If they didn't manufacture their stuff as well as sell it, it wouldn't be so tricksy.

They USED to have sales, but afaik this was BEFORE they went public.

LonelyPath
21-08-2010, 00:55
When they changed to 'white metal' (late 90's IIRC) they had a huge clearance of all of the old metal models, and there were tons of bargains to be had.

I also remember my Aunty getting me a copy of Gorkamorka from her local store's Grand Opening/Re-Opening for just 25 by using a 15 off voucher from White Dwarf!

The 'buy 3 get the cheapest free' offers were pretty cool too. I think Paul Sawyer (Fat Bloke/ex-WD editor) went to a Grand Opening in the original Tale of Four Gamers and got a head start on the rest of the guys (and spent his change on a bacon butty)!

misterboff

IIRC a couple of them took advantage of that Grand Opening, the cheeky beggers. Then again, back then the Studio staff didn't get as good a discount as they do now. The factory was the best place to work until the late 90s, you bought miniatures by the weight ;)

antin3
21-08-2010, 00:56
There's one simple reason why GW doesn't have sales.
They don't have any serious competition.
I know some will instantly throw out Privateer Press or Flames of War, and those are good companies with a good product but seriously at this point they cannot touch GW. That is not to say they won't eventually but at this point GW doesn't need to do anything, they know gamers will buy thier product, for all the comlaining about GW's prices we all keep buying.

mrln68
21-08-2010, 01:07
There are also issues that they have as a manufacturer and wholesaler as well as retailer.
If they have a sale, their stockists would be effected and there would be a whole kerfuffle of related issues to go with it.

If they didn't manufacture their stuff as well as sell it, it wouldn't be so tricksy.

They USED to have sales, but afaik this was BEFORE they went public.

Nah - every company out there now in this market is manufacturer/wholesaler/retailer. The wonderful world of e-commerce.

GW does enough to poop on their retailers with their mandatory orders and all that (and direct sale only items and all the other stuff that they do).

When it comes right down to it - they don't do sales because they don't do sales. There really is no reason to why. Almost everything has demonstrated that reducing prices increases sales. Increasing prices reduces sales. They would likely do much better if they dropped the prices on their stuff...but they don't.

Bookwrak
21-08-2010, 02:27
why don't games workshop ever do sales , like 20% off or somthing of that sort , they'dsell loads of models, every other high street shop has them why havent gw had one????

Would they sell enough "loads of models" to make up for the 20% cut in profit?

Balgora
21-08-2010, 05:11
in a way the battleforces are like bargain buckets compared to the individual models if you can justify using everything you get, or sell off the bits you don't.

RangeFinder
21-08-2010, 09:32
GW used to do bundles, which like the Battle Forces, if you found everything useful, there was a reasonable savings. Even when Apoc was launched, there were bundles for most Armies, so that could bulk up your forces. I even recall back in the 2007 there was a troop and transport bundle. But these seem to be a thing of the past.

madden
21-08-2010, 10:17
I asked once and the response was that people saved for the sale and didn't spend during the rest of the year so to keep a steady turnover they stopped the sales makes sense to me.

Tarax
21-08-2010, 10:21

I was going to bring that up too.
I've been to several of these Grand Openings, in The Netherlands, but the last shop that opened didn't have one. :cries: I've bought loads of stuff.
Now you sometimes get sales where old or damaged stuff is sold at a discount, but this is often at a special occasion, like a celebration of sorts.

Like some said, GW doesn't need to. Also, most on-line shops give sufficient discount (like 10-25%) on GW products, so you can always go there.

BTW, most Battalion/Battleforce boxes give only a little discount and you sometimes get things you don't want.

@madden: I've heard that one too.

TeddyC
21-08-2010, 11:58

misterboff

I remember that... I think thats when I got my arabaal! I remember the bacon butty as well.... still got that white dwarf around somewhere. I think it was the one where digganob was released. Or if it wasnt it was around that time

sycopat
21-08-2010, 12:21
That original tale of four gamers was great, imo none of the ones since captured the same joy of the hobby as those ones, partly I think because the most recent ones have tried to keep the tale balanced and controlled, whereas in that first one they just did it however they wanted and focused on having fun and communicating how much fun they were having.

Wintermute
21-08-2010, 13:21
We already have an existing thread in which to discuss GW's Pricing Policy here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209297) and discussing sales is discussing prices.

Thread Closed.

Wintermute