PDA

View Full Version : Is the Mark of Slaanesh Pointless Now?

Venerable_Bede
21-08-2010, 01:11
Since the BSB now allows rerolls for everything, and since practically every army will have a BSB as a result, do you think the MOS is really worth it anymore ?

Rochr
21-08-2010, 01:20
MoS still makes you immune to panic which is not a bad thing if friendlies are destroyed close to you. You're BSB can't be everywhere all the time and I have failed many 2 x LD8 before. The Strength of MoS is that it is very cheap, between 5-10 points per unit really. If you can't afford anything else, put a MoS on it.

Commodus Leitdorf
21-08-2010, 02:05
BSB's can die...ALOT easier then any of us would like. Having the safety net of the mark can be pretty darn useful.

Kadris
21-08-2010, 02:18
a giant with MoS will always strike first, which can lead to a thumping good time... in his pants.

Taureus
21-08-2010, 03:25
MoS is still mint on units of warmachine-hunting Horsemen.

They will get shot at, and being able to ignore that panic check (vanguard move usually puts them out of range of the BSB anyways) is always a good thing.

TheKingInYellow
21-08-2010, 05:58
MoS on Spawn looks like fun, and increases the perceived threat of the unit...

Ymir
21-08-2010, 06:20
Mark of Slaanesh is still useful, it's just not as good as it used to be. As others have pointed out, it's especially good for Marauder Horsemen and Giants.

Roark
21-08-2010, 10:19
It's perfectly fine for knights and chariots too, when you don't want your guys frenzied and testing for berserk rage whenever they're within 19 inches of any enemy unit.

eyescrossed
21-08-2010, 12:10
Uhm... What?

Enigmatik1
21-08-2010, 15:06
From a strict meta-gaming standpoint, MoS is still good on small units that will generally be away from your main battle line or out of range of the BSB. In theory, any unit of less than say, 20 models is a viable candidate simply due to the increased power of shooting and destructive magic.

Then again, I'm also the only person on the planet who likes Slaaneshi magic (both Daemons and Warriors) and would always field a Slaaneshi Sorc (probably with the one gift that lets you steal spells) backed by an unmarked one with Shadow, Metal or Death (in that order since I don't like Fire and have found Death to be pretty frickin cheesy).

Taureus
21-08-2010, 18:35
From a strict meta-gaming standpoint, MoS is still good on small units that will generally be away from your main battle line or out of range of the BSB. In theory, any unit of less than say, 20 models is a viable candidate simply due to the increased power of shooting and destructive magic.

Then again, I'm also the only person on the planet who likes Slaaneshi magic (both Daemons and Warriors) and would always field a Slaaneshi Sorc (probably with the one gift that lets you steal spells) backed by an unmarked one with Shadow, Metal or Death (in that order since I don't like Fire and have found Death to be pretty frickin cheesy).

Slaneesh magic rapes HE face... :D Yes, it's better against low Ld armies, but T3 is sad against Seizures.

I am looking forward to having it with a Level 4 with Diabolic Splendor (Daemon Prince perhaps...).

Tae
21-08-2010, 18:39
My WoC army runs MoK on Halberd Warriors, one unit with Sigvald in the other with a BSB and the Crown of Command.

That makes 2 Ld10 units (assuming they're close enough, which they almost certainly will be) that will never panic and can re-roll their stubborn break tests.

If you don't wipe them out, they're not going anywhere.

Edit - Also, people might want to check what lores their Sorcerers are allowed to use. Since unless my book has an omission, WoC Sorcerers aren't permitted to take Lore of Metal. It's Fire, Shadow or Death with Lords also being given Heavens.

Canucksfan1
21-08-2010, 19:44
Mark of Slaanesh is pretty much pointless. Remember that the basic ability of WoC is they can re-roll any panic tests, with fear and terror much less effective and with the BSB, situations where the mark might be useful is far less frequent.

Taureus
22-08-2010, 00:49
Mark of Slaanesh is pretty much pointless. Remember that the basic ability of WoC is they can re-roll any panic tests, with fear and terror much less effective and with the BSB, situations where the mark might be useful is far less frequent.

How pray tell would the BSB help units on the opposite end/side of the table?

The BSB helps the battle line with his re-rolls, but anyone outside the 12 inches (18 if you're [anyone, not you specifically] foolish enough to put him on a large target...) is going to only be re-rolling Panic (unless they ignore it [MoK]).

Vanguard moves alone put marauder horse outside the 'bubble' (whether they are heading for war machines or setting up for flanks), and it's better to just ignore having to re-roll any Panic they might face.

Roark
22-08-2010, 11:17
Uhm... What?

Mark of Khorne = Frenzy = compulsory Berserk Rage Ld tests when within possible charge range. I was specifically talking about Knights and Chariots, whose maximum possible charge range is 12 + 7 = 19.

Cool?

Djekar
22-08-2010, 12:09
Edit - Also, people might want to check what lores their Sorcerers are allowed to use. Since unless my book has an omission, WoC Sorcerers aren't permitted to take Lore of Metal. It's Fire, Shadow or Death with Lords also being given Heavens.

Actually, WoC Sorcerers are allowed to take either Death or Fire, with the Lords having access to Death, Fire Shadow and Heavens.

I also like Slaaneshi magic, and I think that coupled with Death (Doom and Darkness) or Shadow (Tasty Debuffs) it could work pretty well. I agree that the Third Eye on such a Sorc is pretty mandatory though in case you hit those ItP armies.

eyescrossed
22-08-2010, 12:10
Mark of Khorne = Frenzy = compulsory Berserk Rage Ld tests when within possible charge range. I was specifically talking about Knights and Chariots, whose maximum possible charge range is 12 + 7 = 19.

Cool?

Misunderstood you - thought you were implying being Immune to Psychology would make you... Well... Not have to test for Frenzy.

Late nights don't help.

Harwammer
22-08-2010, 13:13
Since the BSB now allows rerolls for everything, and since practically every army will have a BSB as a result, do you think the MOS is really worth it anymore ?

The BSB isn't even a huge improvement over Will of Chaos considering now terror causes a panic test and WoC should rarely lose combats.

MoS is still really cheap and is very handy for flanking troops (assuming you aren't using special characters to create a multiple BSB effect).

Justicar Valius
22-08-2010, 13:31
Actually, WoC Sorcerers are allowed to take either Death or Fire, with the Lords having access to Death, Fire Shadow and Heavens.

I always thought normal sorcs got shadow, death or fire (my army book is in storage at the moment though so I can't out and out confirm it).

Agree on the Marauder horsemen giants (though I personnaly wouldn't take a giant until very large points games).

lcfr
22-08-2010, 13:47
The BSB isn't even a huge improvement over Will of Chaos considering now terror causes a panic test and WoC should rarely lose combats.

Exactly! Failed 'Terror' tests can be re-rolled by WoC troops too, so the MoS would only be worthwhile if you had 5-10pts left to play with and/or didn't want any other mark on the unit.

I have to say that it's not worthwhile, except on a Giant :p

decker_cky
22-08-2010, 20:35
I'd say it gives the appropriate benefit for it's cost now. Before it was a silly no-brainer choice on marauder units if you weren't concerned with fluff. Now it still lets you spread your battle line more than you otherwise could for a cheap price. Auto-pass is still better than rerolling, particularly if you're talking about a Ld7 unit.

Enigmatik1
23-08-2010, 04:00
Exactly! Failed 'Terror' tests can be re-rolled by WoC troops too, so the MoS would only be worthwhile if you had 5-10pts left to play with and/or didn't want any other mark on the unit.

I have to say that it's not worthwhile, except on a Giant :p

Or your building your army with a Slaaneshi theme! :P

Ultimately, I think you're 100% correct. They're going to have to seriously do something with the mark because unless you just have a thing for Slaanesh, which I do for magic especially, there's very little reason to pay for the mark on any of your units. Yes, it's cheap...but outside of fluff or fielding Giants, it really doesn't do anything.

I've played 3 games under 8E and I've yet to see anyone fail a Fear or Terror test. :shifty:

Zilverug
23-08-2010, 10:58
They're going to have to seriously do something with the mark because unless you just have a thing for Slaanesh, which I do for magic especially, there's very little reason to pay for the mark on any of your units. Yes, it's cheap...but outside of fluff or fielding Giants, it really doesn't do anything.

One could also argue that the Mark of Slaanesh was too much value for points in the 7th edition and is more on par with the other marks in the current edition.

Enigmatik1
23-08-2010, 12:59
One could also argue that the Mark of Slaanesh was too much value for points in the 7th edition and is more on par with the other marks in the current edition.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I've always wondered whether it was a case of MoS being undervalued or Psychology being too powerful in 7E. As a Tomb King general with a modest interest in Warriors of Chaos, I'm leaning towards the latter.

I think my biggest gripe with MoS and why I feel this way is because there was no real point in marking a Daemon Prince Slaanesh unless you wanted the spells, since 2/3 of the benefit was wasted on the character since it already caused Terror and being a lone, flying model seemed to be fairly hard to Panic. As opposed to the Giant, who at least gained ASF.

Sure, that's just one instance...but as it's the one I'm most interested in, it's the one that sticks out.

Bereaver
23-08-2010, 21:45

Cool?

I believe there's no max range on Berserk Rage charge.

If you can legally declare a charge against someone you have to, even if it's impossible to succeed, don't you?

The books simply says if you can declare you have to.

And you can declare a charge against someone outside your maximum theoretical range, can't you? Just as long as you have LoS and there aren't any troops/impassible terrain between you and an enemy unit, you can charge.