PDA

View Full Version : Charge Distances

Classius
21-08-2010, 06:14
Quick question for all you rule scribes out there that probably has a simple answer but I find it really unclear in the rule book.

So question, When charging it states that your charge distance is simply measured from one unit to another (closest point to closest point) and if the roll is greater or equal to this distance the charge is made. But very often I see people including the wheel into the charge distance like in 7th edition.

Am I wrong to state that we get a free wheel and closing the gap regardless of what we rolled for our charge as long as its greater or equal to the distance between the two units involved?

eyescrossed
21-08-2010, 07:34
Free wheel. As long at the distance between 2 units is equal to or less than the amount rolled/added, you're fine.

I can't remember exactly where, but somewhere in the rulebook it specifically says that chargers can move an infinite amount.

Eldoriath
21-08-2010, 13:43
Related follow-up question:
You are allowed to wheel once during the charge, that wheeling does cost move as normal, right? Only closing the door that is a free wheel?

solkan
21-08-2010, 14:09
Related follow-up question:
You are allowed to wheel once during the charge, that wheeling does cost move as normal, right? Only closing the door that is a free wheel?

Read the second paragraph of page 20 again. Distances moved during charging don't matter at all because the charging unit gets to move an unlimited distance. And page 19 doesn't care about anything but the straight line distance between units.

Tae
21-08-2010, 15:38
Yep, no more arguing about tiny fractions of an inch of wheels anymore!.

If Movement + 2D6 is equal to or greater than the closest distance between the two units then the charge is successful. The charging unit can therefore charge and is allowed to move as much as necessary to ensure that the maximum number of models from both unit are brought into base contact, with one wheel of up to 90 degrees permitted.

Zetan
21-08-2010, 15:51
As a TO, I think this is one of my favorite rules changes. :) Measuring and trying to rule how much movement it takes to charge someone was such a pain in 7th.

Eldoriath
21-08-2010, 17:49
Oh, that was very uefull to know. Just recently gotten into fantasy for real, have previusly just mucked about with the rules a bit as part of WHF RPG were our GM knew the rules and the rest of us mainly just had to say what we wanted to achieve and he helped us with that and with time we grasped the rules on our own.

But this was certainly a happy change making it easier, and getting away from those fractionate inches which even I have experienced.

Duke_Corwin
21-08-2010, 19:05
When you roll the charge distance you are simply rolling to see if you are in charge range. You are not rolling to see how far you can move.

If you are in range, you move as much as needed to reach the enemy unit and put the maximum possible number of models into combat.

Classius
22-08-2010, 02:38
Thanks guys, I am happy to know that I have been playing correctly, it helps very much to stop bickering about close calls that is for sure.

Mooseman007
22-08-2010, 15:17
If Movement + 2D6 is equal to or greater than the closest distance between the two units then the charge is successful

Where does it say the closest distance, would it not be the fartherest point of the unit charging to the unit it wants to charge?

Loopstah
22-08-2010, 15:30
Where does it say the closest distance, would it not be the fartherest point of the unit charging to the unit it wants to charge?

Page 6 under "Measuring Distances".