PDA

View Full Version : Destroying Buildings

CaptainFaramir
21-08-2010, 08:02
Under 7th Ed. and previously there were a number of advanced rules for garrisoning and more importantly (for the purpose of this thread) destroying buildings. I have scoured my BRBible and can find no rules for destroying terrain of any kind except for page 113, where cannons may destroy "obstacles" which are defined on page 122 as, effectively, fences.

So - under the main rule book you cannot destroy, for example, a watchtower with cannon fire. In fact, as far as I am aware the ONLY way to destroy a building under the current edition is to take/ally yourself with a Grey Seer and take the "Cracks Call" spell (destroy building on 5+), or take the Screaming Bell and roll 11-12, 14-16 (as Cracks Call).

So is taking a Grey Seer the ONLY way to destroy buildings under 8th Ed?

I can understand why there are no rules in the main BRB. With the inclusion of rollable scenarios for pitched battle the designers have tried to force people to take more balanced list - if you have a gunline, you cannot garrison a building, so you lose, so you don't take a gunline. If your cannons can destroy buildings, then the watchtower becomes irrelevant. On the other hand, with the exception of that building in that scenario, I think it is a bit sad. I used to LOVE blowing up buildings with my cannons!

So:
1) Can any other race than Skaven destroy buildings? If so, how.

2) Given the purpose of the current rules, can anyone suggest and adapted set of house rule for destroying buildings that would be "fair".

madden
21-08-2010, 09:36
I would say any race can destroy buildings and some rules for this are on p399 of the really big red book (rbrb). It shouldn't take much to change them for fortresses etc, happy demolition.

Lugburz
21-08-2010, 09:41
My guess would be that GW plan to release more advanced siege/building rules in the future.
In the BRB it is noted that a Skaven Watchtower would have "only" 5 wounds, and the O&G watchtower would have less toughness (could be the other way around). And it seems strange to mention wounds and toughness when the A4 watchtower don't have a statline :p.

I too would love to destroy buildings, I think it would make very dramatic games.

Edit: Yay. I didn`t notice the rules for destroying buildings at page 399.

diggerydoom
21-08-2010, 09:42
The watch tower does not become irrelevent if destroyed. Instead its ruins become the objective....

However I would be happy in friendlies to come up with a way of artillery shooting buildings. Pg 399 gives proposed toughness to buildings so I would suggest giving the building a toughness and wounds value (potentially an armour save if applicable) and then let you cannon it until your heart is content. Obviously there would have to be agreement that just beacuase the building has Strength 0 it cannot be effected by 'Dwellers below' or similar.

CaptainFaramir
21-08-2010, 10:07
Perfect. Completely missed page 399...

Set elevation! Temper gunpowder! FIRE!!!

The_Lemon
21-08-2010, 14:58
Those are the rules for that scenario, not for generic battles though.

stripsteak
21-08-2010, 20:48
So is taking a Grey Seer the ONLY way to destroy buildings under 8th Ed?
you can also take warlock engineers, and vermin lords, and ikit klaw or thanquol. they all have access to spells of ruin.

So:
1) Can any other race than Skaven destroy buildings? If so, how.
Empire & DoC: they can steal/cast opponent spells so they can when playing against skaven.

2) Given the purpose of the current rules, can anyone suggest and adapted set of house rule for destroying buildings that would be "fair".
as mentioned the scenario rules on pg 399. If not just something similar to combinging obstacle/cracks call; if a cannon bounces into a building on a 5+ (or maybe 6+) the building is detroyed. units inside take d6 hits at the strnegth of the shot? something like that might work.