PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about multiple combats & pursuits

Riptacus
21-08-2010, 09:31
I've thrown together a diagram that I think illustrates my two questions. It's attached to this post.

Basically, I'm curious about the series of events that occurs when units engaged in a multiple combat defeat the foe they are in contact with, and then have the chance to pursue into another enemy that is involved in the same combat (but was not in direct contact with the pursuer).

diggerydoom
21-08-2010, 10:37
In the first instance Unit A does not get to overrun until the end of the combat. As its target (unit X) was in contact with unit B (and therefore part of the multiple combat) it counts towards the combat resolution of the fight as a whole (but does not give standard/charging/rank bonuses). At the end of the combat it could overrun as it wiped out the enemy unit on the charge or it can reform. It cannot pursue however.

In your example unit C would count as charging unit X (which passed its break test). It will therefore get any charging bonuses in the next round of combat.

However as unit B has 'more ranks of 5 or more' unit Z would actually flee from that unit so unit C would actually be pursuing to the bottom of the diagram.

I hope this helps-all gleaned from the close combat sectin of the rulebook.

Riptacus
21-08-2010, 19:05
However as unit B has 'more ranks of 5 or more' unit Z would actually flee from that unit so unit C would actually be pursuing to the bottom of the diagram.

That's my mistake. Unit C was meant to have more ranks of 5 at the end of combat. I cut off one of their ranks, and I also forgot to illustrate the casualties sustained in the combat. The diagram has been updated.

In the first instance Unit A does not get to overrun until the end of the combat. As its target (unit X) was in contact with unit B (and therefore part of the multiple combat) it counts towards the combat resolution of the fight as a whole (but does not give standard/charging/rank bonuses). At the end of the combat it could overrun as it wiped out the enemy unit on the charge or it can reform. It cannot pursue however.
So it loses its standard/rank bonuses once it is no longer in contact with an enemy? Does it also lose the bonus it had for flanking Unit X.?

diggerydoom
22-08-2010, 11:50
Unit A does yes. This in the multiple comabt rules-only units A casualties effect the overall combat res.

Following the casulaties in the diagram (assuming unit X had 4 wounds and all units have full command)

Unit A gives 4 res (wounds caused only)
Unit C gives 2+1+2+1=6 res (ranks+standard+flank+2 wouinds caused on unit Z)
Unit B gives 0 res (no wounds caused-already attributed to unit C, ranks and standard also on unit C)

Grey total=10

Unit Y gives 2 res (two wounds on unit B)
Unit Z gives 1 res (standard)

black total =3
hope this helps