PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Horus Heresy moment

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
21-08-2010, 11:11
The Horus Heresy series were the first 40k BL stories I read, and (for the most part) I was not disappointed. The only one I slightly disliked was Fulgrim, and even then it was still okay!!

Anyways, I was just wondering what everone's favourite moment of the series so far has been. There are hundreds epic moments to choose from.

For me, when you realise Horus' plan to virus bomb Isstvan III in 'Galaxy in Flames' is one of the greatest. You can't help but feel horrified by how many people are going to die, and think "Come on, this can't possibly happen! All the main characters are down there!!" And then the tragic, heroic battle begins.

Another terrifying moment for me was the attack on the mag-lev in 'Mechanicum'. When the train ground to a halt in the tunnel, I was just thinking. "Oh god... that robot thing has found them!" Then the chaos begins and one of the most thrilling pieces of writing in what I have read of BL history (in my opinion) begins.

So what do you think?

Merus
21-08-2010, 11:19
Ahzek Ahriman pulling Ohthere Wyrdmake's soul right out of his body; showing him the error of his ways - and then chucking him to the void predators.

I have never disliked a character more, in any Black Library novel. Him being devoured brought me more joy than is probably healthy, or normal.

Brother Captain Lucian
21-08-2010, 11:21
When the Dies Irae shuts down in Isstvaan and hell is unleashed on the planet - it just gives me the shivers to think about it :)

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
21-08-2010, 11:22
Nice :D Have to agree that is a great moment Merus!!

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
21-08-2010, 11:23
And that is a chilling moment too Brother Captain Lucian!!

Lupe
21-08-2010, 11:28
Heh, there's just too many of them...

Kharn and Angron's first meeting...

The Alpha Legion pulling out another battle barge from behind a moon, and then using it against the Imperial Army

Horus' first appearance in Horus Rising.

Perturabo's brief appearance in Fallen Angels

The entirety of The Last Church in Tales of Heresy

Corax being able to pull a 'this is not the primarch you're looking for' on Istvaan.

Torgaddon telling Sigismund which legion is the greatest...

The descriptions of Angron kicking ass and generally being completely unstoppable on Istvaan III and V

And... well, like I said... there are so many others...

Londinium
21-08-2010, 13:35
Kharn being a sober, reasonable deep thinking marine when Loken meets him initially.

Fulgrim lopping off Ferrus Manus' head before being tricked into being possessed in his grief.

The moment you realise that Lucius has changed sides on Istvaan V.

Ahriman laying the smackdown on Othere Wyrdmake.

The ending of Mechanicum with the Dragon's guardian (a la Indiana Jones)

and many many others.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
21-08-2010, 13:39
Nice examples guys! :D Really want to re-read them all now! The only ones I haven't read yet are Tales of Heresy and the new one thats just out.

Oh, and while we're still talking about Horus Heresy, does anyone have any idea how many books are planned for the series?

Lupe
21-08-2010, 13:54
I'd imagine at least five more other than what's been announced so far.

One sequel to Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels
One to cover the fight for Terra (the Ultimate Gate, the Vengeful Spirit)
One to deal with the Night Haunter
One to cover the aftermath for the Imperium and the reforms (possibly tying in with the Codex Astartes and the Iron Cage)
One to cover The Black legion, and Abbadon's rise to power

Possibly something to cover the events on Terminus Est as well

SeaSwift
21-08-2010, 17:24
I'd imagine at least five more other than what's been announced so far.

One sequel to Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels
One to cover the fight for Terra (the Ultimate Gate, the Vengeful Spirit)
One to deal with the Night Haunter
One to cover the aftermath for the Imperium and the reforms (possibly tying in with the Codex Astartes and the Iron Cage)
One to cover The Black legion, and Abbadon's rise to power

Possibly something to cover the events on Terminus Est as well

At least 3 to cover the fight for Terra, I would imagine actually, but this is a subject for another thread.

Oguleth
21-08-2010, 22:13
When Wyrdmake got splatted - stupid wolves.

I also liked the scene with Magnus entering the chamber on Terra in the same book - there really should be a Magnus the Red version of the Picard facepalm ascii pic..

the_gobbo_king
22-08-2010, 01:32
Torgaddon facing up to Eidolon in Horus Rising was an excellent little passage. Torgaddon made me crack up throughout it. "What is that?" "I haven't got the slightest idea, but the point is..."

The epicness of Garro and Qruze's tenacity holding out on the Eisenstein rates highly.

Finally, Ahriman and Wyrdmake's duel was awesome, especially the end.

Scott.

bruceadsero
22-08-2010, 02:29
Defintely in Mechanium when the Magma City is engulfed by lava taking the Legio Mortis Titans and the DM army with it.

mob16151
22-08-2010, 03:02
When that World Eater SM (forget his name) runs out of his bunker to take on Angron, on Istvaan. Even after watching his primarch WTF PWN a whole bunch of loyalist SM's.

Also Horus's first appearance where he shows up and kills "The Emperor of terra".

I believe the World Eater was Ehrlen(sp?)

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
22-08-2010, 18:20
Cool examples! And thanks for the Horus Heresy info Lupe and SeaSwift.

Xisor
23-08-2010, 00:52
The epicness of Garro and Qruze's tenacity holding out on the Eisenstein rates highly.

Garro's line after having been pursued by the Terminus Est away from Isstvan III in Flight of the Eisenstein. His apothecary is holding a gun to his head, Garro wants the ship to go to warp, apothecary says no. Garro doesn't flinch. "The Emperor Protects," go to warp!

Pheeeow!

That single 'the Emperor Protects' line is one of my favourite lines in any book I can remember.

Having said that, as a bit of an anti-religious type, I was a big fan of:
- Horus' "I came here looking for spirits but all I found was this wine."
- The Emperor's quip to a priest: "Blasphemy is a victimless crime."
- And the Emperor's wonderful toast to the priest whose whiskey he's drinking: "At last, a spirit I can believe in."

Helikaon
23-08-2010, 19:03
The last "battle" in Horus Rising. Tragic stuff, reading it you get the sense of the most loyal and committed Imperial soldiers ever, men (and demi-god) who would willingly go to the ends of the universe to advance the Imperium. Hell Horus Rising as a whole was a massive CMOA (Crowning Moment of Awesome) for the Black Library, I never would have thought that a Heresy series would come, let alone it being as good as it has been.

The legions turn in Flugrim. As violent and disgusting as it should have been.

Corax kicking all kinds of feth in Raven's Flight. Now I know why he's never mentioned, he's so badass he didn't need backstory!

A Thousand Sons, much for the same reasons as Horus Rising. The Prospero duology could have started so badly, rarely does anything truly live up to the hype, let alone far surpassing it.

Vassakov
26-08-2010, 14:21
Horus Rising - 3 moments. The opening, which sets the scene for the series in such a gloriously ironic fashion. The sequence when the Luna Wolves arrive at Murder, step aboard and then tear strips out of anyone and everyone nearby for such incompetence and finally, as mentioned by Helikaon, the final chapter or two or Horus Rising. Brilliant. Just utterly, wonderfully tragic and everything I would have hoped for.

Lord Lorne Walkier
27-08-2010, 23:14
Wow, this is a hard one.

1. in Fulgrim, when Rylanor stands out in the open, unmoving, to watch the virus bombing. Before Fulgrim was found, Rylanor lead the Emperors Children. He was the only one who saw the beauty/ horror of the virus attack and fire storm. He must have recorded it all. The statue Rylanor with the Chaos that the Virus storm as a back round and knowing what must have been on inside that sarcophagus... When Lucius was asked by Eidolon, what happened to Rylanor i could smell the fear.

2. Loken V Lucius #1. Lucius is steamrolling his way through the best of the best. The Luna Wolves turn to humble ol' Loken because they know none, not even the superior "sons", have any chance to match Lucius. Loken dosent want to fight him not because he is scared, rather he knows he will win and can sense that he will hurt his freind in a way that can't be healed. Then he relents but feels he must warn his friend. He tells him just how he is going to kick his @$$ and why. Then dose it in two shakes of a lambs tail. As he is walking away leaving the not so prety boy, Lucius with a shattered face and ego, Abaddon and crew jump all on his nuts. Loken though is not happy at all, rather he feels bad because he knows this will lead to something bad for a great warrior and good friend.

3. Angron half carries Kharn out of his room to meet the rest of the War Hounds. A captain yells out. "Your Warriors were the eaters of city's, lord. But with you to lead us general, we will be the eaters of worlds"

Freak Ona Leash
01-09-2010, 20:06
- The Emperor's quip to a priest: "Blasphemy is a victimless crime."
- And the Emperor's wonderful toast to the priest whose whiskey he's drinking: "At last, a spirit I can believe in."

The bit where we find out the so-called Imperial Truth is basically the very same thing that the Emperor supposedly reviled in religion: a justification for his wars.

Oh, and the bit where Euphrati Keeler goes all "I'm a Living Saint and I eat daemons for breakfast with my latent psychic abilities!" when Sindermann reads from the Book of Lorgar and unwittingly summons a daemon.

And yes, loyalist World Eater Captain Ehrlen on Istvaan: "That's my primarch? Hm, and he is killing us you say? Totally unstoppable, you say? GET SOME! *proceeds to collect Skulls for the Skull Golden Throne*" :evilgrin:

Toramino
02-09-2010, 00:44
A Thousand Sons: the space wolves vicious orbital bombardment and the subsequent wolves/custodes/sisters invasion.

Nazguire
02-09-2010, 01:54
There's a few good ones.

The anger and sadness that Loken felt when he saw Torgaddon beheaded by a reluctant Aximand (a truely tragic character for a 40k novel) was up there.

Tarvitz' utter refusal to bow down and die on Istvaan

Horus when he was loyal. "I come looking for spirits, and all I find is wine."

Sinderman explaining the Imperial Truth to Loken. We can see how utter intolerant an attitude it is, and totally in tune with a totalitarian society, yet still feel sympathetic to it.

Magnus' depression and guilt for destroying the Emperor's great work. So guilty and determined not to be found traitor he allows his Legion to almost be destroyed.

The Thousand Sons determination to defend Prospero, only to find the powers that they were so sure of their control of turn against them. (Khalophis, Phael Toron, Phosis T'kar)

Othmere Wyrdmake's hypocrisy/ignorance on Prospero to Ahriman.

Devram Korda's words of "Burn this city!". You can feel the ruthlessness.

Kiro
02-09-2010, 20:23

Sounds like a slogan on a shirt you'd buy after a drunken weekend away :p

And yes, loyalist World Eater Captain Ehrlen on Istvaan: "That's my primarch? Hm, and he is killing us you say? Totally unstoppable, you say? GET SOME! *proceeds to collect Skulls for the Skull Golden Throne*" :evilgrin:

Awesome! I love the way you wrote that haha :D

I have to say I didn't actually like the death of Wyrdmake; I felt leaving him alive with the knowledge Ahriman forced onto him would have been more crushing to an 'honorable' Space Wolf than death. Not that he didn't deserve an epic beatdown, mind, just that life would have been far crueler.

A moment that springs to mind for me is the resolution of the duel between Lucius and Tarvitz. I'd like to think Lucius was, initially, a sympathetic character; when you find out what he's done to his fellow Emperor's Children, you're rooting for Tarvitz...hold your breath as the fight draws to it's supposed end and then...phewwww as the tables are turned :skull:

The Battle of Tizca...so tragic, but I finally got to read it...and loved it. Hope we'll get to see more in Prospero Burns.

Joewrightgm
03-09-2010, 02:51
Phosis T'kar pulling a land raider in half with his mind is one.

I honestly feel one of the most powerful scenes was in the beginning of False Gods. Him sitting in darkness, in full armor, quite possibly the most militarily successful and power individual in the galaxy. And he asks "do you trust me, Mal?"

It does wonders to humanize him and bring the audience into his head space.

Fulgrim's Gimp
07-09-2010, 20:34
Angron's words to Eidolon were great. Something along the lines of if you ever address me as an equal again I will kill you.

The bit about the Lectatio Divinatus being written by Lorgar certainly makes me smile.

Nazguire
08-09-2010, 00:24
Angron's words to Eidolon were great. Something along the lines of if you ever address me as an equal again I will kill you.

The bit about the Lectatio Divinatus being written by Lorgar certainly makes me smile.

Did you really think that was all that great? The dialogue in that book was so cartoonish it made me cringe. I could practically see Horus standing over Mt. Doom fondling the One Ring.

The Judge
08-09-2010, 10:40
Great idea for a thread!

I love the bit in the Lightning Tower where the Emperor appears, all but briefly. That is how the Emperor should be written!

The opening scene with the Callidus assassin in Nemesis.

Dorn throwing Garro across the room in Flight of the Eisenstein.

Fulgrim's Gimp
08-09-2010, 21:24
Did you really think that was all that great? The dialogue in that book was so cartoonish it made me cringe. I could practically see Horus standing over Mt. Doom fondling the One Ring.

Yes. It was good to see Eidolon get a slap down and to be honest I can't imagine Angron being too, well.... wordy. I always imagine him to have the verbal style of someone like Vinnie Jones or Ray Winston in Scum.

Svorlrik
08-09-2010, 21:34
I know Battle for the Abyss isn't a popular one, but the part when you think the Word Bearers might convince Mhotep (the captain of the thousand sons) to join their cause and his only reply is "...Prepare to be boarded."

I just thought AWWW YEAH there's gonna be a kickin!

enyoss
15-09-2010, 20:13
I like this thread :)

My favourite moments have largely been mentioned already. A few more for the pot though:

1) The fate of the Death Guard dreadnought and Captain once the virus bombs come down on Istvaan III. In fact, the whole depiction of the Death Guard embattling their way through the trenches was great.

2) The part where the Firebird's (think that's the name) geller field fails in Battle for the Abyss. Ok, it had largely been seen before with Flight of the Eisenstein, but the description of the Captain's experiences really captured my imagination.

Loads of others too though :)

Tak
23-09-2010, 23:33
And... well, like I said... there are so many others...

I couldn't agree more. Some of my favourite scenes are:

When Loken and A-Bad-'Un mix it up at the end of Galaxy In Flames. When Loken catches Abby under all that rubble and goes mental with his chainsword as he tries to cut through all that terminator armour. As the author was describing the blade cutting through layer after layer of armour I was practically rocking back and forth saying "c'mon, C'MON!!" ( I was ignorant of Abaddon's survival at the time).

The first meeting between Fulgrim and Ferrus Manus in the Iron Forge when they bitch fight for the first time. Again, I had no idea how it was going to play out and I was just about having palpatations from the white knuckle episode I was having and I really got caught up in the Iron Hand's confusion as Fulgrim exited the Forge. I thought it was really sinister how Fulgrim slowly shook his head at Santar when he demanded to know where his primarch was. The fate of the Morlocks just after that topped that scene off perfectly.

I could go on as there are so many. For me, the HH series has blown me away in a way that no other books have done before and I can't wait for A.D-B's contribution to the series in November.:D

Chimera
23-09-2010, 23:53
Great idea for a thread!

Dorn throwing Garro across the room in Flight of the Eisenstein.

I more liked Garro's realisation afterwards... "I'm not dead, he must believe me a bit..."

Lars Porsenna
24-09-2010, 18:45
I more liked Garro's realisation afterwards... "I'm not dead, he must believe me a bit..."

Great scene, and you know, it was about this time that I decided that Rogal Dorn really is a jerk...

Damon :)

msjedimaster
24-09-2010, 18:59
I liked The Last Church, that whole story was really cool to me and gave the Emperor some real lines!

Messiah
24-09-2010, 20:50
1) The fate of the Death Guard dreadnought and Captain once the virus bombs come down on Istvaan III. In fact, the whole depiction of the Death Guard embattling their way through the trenches was great.

This is one of my favourites too. Captain Temeter and Dreadnought Huron-Fal of the Deathguard watching the bombs drop and succombing is one of the most tragic and powerful scenes so far.

Another one of my favourites is the entirety of Legion.

MvS
26-09-2010, 17:47
I have a feeling my favourite Horus Heresy moment will be in the upcoming First Heretic novel...

:)

ryng_sting
26-09-2010, 19:52
1. Garro's despair-fuelled epiphany in Flight of the Eisenstein.
2. The near entirety of The Last Church. Like the best BL fiction, it's a character-driven piece, with barely a drop of hardgore in it.

Archaon
27-09-2010, 15:28
Tales of the Heresy

Bulveye of the Space Wolves' 13th Company ordering a planetary assault on a human colony he just helped free from Dark Eldar raiders just because they won't join the Imperium

It is so sad to see the Space Wolves becoming allies with humans, fighting with them for weeks and training them to defeat the Dark Eldar eventually becoming friends only to find out that duty surpasses everything and they have to to do it no matter what.

boogle
28-09-2010, 10:13
RE: Books

Singnus Prime will be covered
there is at least 1 more Tales of.............
Iron Warriors and Night Lord stories
plus the rest

Evil Hypnotist
29-09-2010, 12:35
Aside from The Last Church is has to be the revalation of the dragon in Mechanicum, where you realise the Emperor has orchastrated EVERTHING to get humanity to the point it's at. I think this is where I fell to chaos....to set-up yourself as the (omni-)messiah of a culture is mental! I appreciate that this is the only path mankind can survive along but still...dude! :p

x-esiv-4c
29-09-2010, 12:37
The line from the first book: "I was there when the Emperor fell".

Went downhill from there.

Steve54
29-09-2010, 15:25

Have you ever posted positively about anything?

x-esiv-4c
29-09-2010, 16:33
Are you actually being serious Steve54?

Lothlanathorian
30-09-2010, 09:08

I concur.

I shall, however, be reading First Heretic. ADB is the man.

Artein
30-09-2010, 18:26
It wasn't mention yet....

Night Haunter punishing the guilty in The Dark King, and his talk with Dorn. Awesome moment.

reds8n
01-10-2010, 18:10
What some of the Word Bearers witness when rthey travel into the EoT. :eek::cool:

The bit with the dreadnougt on Isstvaan. :cries:

Xhalax
01-10-2010, 22:20
Two words.

'The Rubric.'

I nearly fell over with delight.

The bit with the dreadnougt on Isstvaan. :cries:

Captain Temeter and Huron-Fal......EPIC!

Kiro
02-10-2010, 19:04
What some of the Word Bearers witness when rthey travel into the EoT. :eek::cool:

Where's that from? :confused:

Ron Burgundy
03-10-2010, 02:10
Where's that from? :confused:

The First Heretic. It's epic.
Possibly only matched in awesome by the primarch rumble from the same book.
Discovering thesecret origin of Cadia was good.
The meaning of Argel Tal's name.

Seeing psychic powers used by the Thousand Sons in an organised and battlefield-appropiate manner; for example, Ahriman using precognition to walk through artillery fire unscathed and effectively turn his bolt pistol into a sniper weapon. Much cooler than generic psi-blasts or whatever.

The Vindicare's last scene in Nemesis.

I've always been inordinately fond of Loken decking Lucius with one hit and Lucius' reply to the suggestion of another rematch. Nothing big or emotional, I just like the scene.

Kiro
03-10-2010, 05:20
Ahhhh, you're one of those who got it early....
Insert content filter here _

Tymell
05-10-2010, 10:46
I've still quite a few to read, and I really should go back over some older ones, but scenes that spring to mind:

*Erebus masterminding Horus' corruption.

*The bombing of Istvaan, including Horus showing the remembrancers what was happening. That was a real gut-churning moment, and like the best tragedy you know it's coming but you're still wishing it not to.

*Lucius' betrayal of the survivors on Istvaan.

*Some of the Eisenstein marines becoming corrupted and not really knowing what it is.

*Garro revealing Horus' betrayal to Dorn. I loved how you were waiting for that moment thinking, 'This is it, this is where they get saved', and then Dorn almost kills them for even suggesting such a thing.

*Pretty much all of Fulgrim, but in particular the decay of the remembrancers, Ferrus Manus' mixture of shame and outrage towards Fulgrim and the final orgiastic display in which the noise marines are first created.

*Similarly, most of A Thousand Sons was incredible, but Magnus battling the titan guardians, his shame at damanging the Emperor's plans and the assault on Prospero were highlights. Was also nice to see Wyrdmake get his :evilgrin:

*The Last Church, it was great to see a dialogue-driven one and to see some of the early days of the Emperor's work.

*Scions of the Storm was excellent. You can feel how glorious Lorgar appears yet also the sense of menace he gives off beneath the surface.

*Angron’s portrayal in the Tales of Heresy collection was spot-on: he had the noble savage thing going on, but also the insanity laced in every sentence.

As a whole I'm loving the Horus Heresy series. It has it's lesser moments, but for the most part the stories are very enjoyable, the scenes well-chosen and the characterisations bang on target. Not only does it do a great job of portraying the Heresy and the times leading up to it, but it even adds new things and builds upon it.

Rolf
05-10-2010, 11:03
There are loads of bits in the first three books but the two sections that stand out for me is the two rebembrancers at the end of Fulgrim, and the bit in Legion were there marines appear in the Desert.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
08-10-2010, 16:56
Wow, I didn't check this thread for a while, then when I came back on I was BLOWN AWAY BY THE SHEER NUMBER OF AMAZING MOMENTS! :D Horus Heresy has had its highs and lows but we can all agree - its highs KICK BUTT!