PDA

View Full Version : Defenders of Ulthuan

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
21-08-2010, 11:20
I read the Graham McNeil (i think) novel Defenders of Ulthuan quite a while and really enjoyed it! Not the best book in the world but still pretty good!

However, it ended on a HORRIFIC cliffhanger that could potentially end up changing the whole Warhammer World (for the High Elves anyway)!!!

Does anyone know if a sequel is going to be made?

Also, in White Dwarf recently they mentioned the *SPOILER* murder of the Everqueen at the hands of a possessed elf, so they definetely have taken the Defenders of Ultuan story into Warhammer history. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

Tae
21-08-2010, 18:30
Yes a sequal is (or at least was when asked about a year or so ago by some local people here) planned, though there are a lot of 40k books before it in the order.

Which is a shame as I quite enjoyed the book.

Son of Sanguinius
21-08-2010, 18:42
I couldn't stand that book.

I found the general plot incredulous. If such a method of infiltration were possible, why wasn't Malekith kidnapping and returning scores of High Elves? And how a random Elf who can't explain his past is able to approach the Everqueen so easily is just beyond my ability to suspend disbelief.

I found the depictions of certain characters very shallow and boring, Teclis in particular.

I hated the use of amnesia. I'm fine with cliche literary tools, but the quality with which it was utilized made me feel like I was playing one of the hundreds of typical useless japanese rpgs.

Perhaps most irritating, I found most of the writing to be of very mediocre quality, which is something I'm not used to with Graham McNeil. I find page turning to be easier with his books than those of most BL authors, but not this time.

The book was just a chore to get though for me and I do hope that they either abandon any notions of a sequel or take the story in a wildly new direction.

Bloody Nunchucks
21-08-2010, 19:18
it wasnt that bad of a book, sure it had its shortcoming but it was his first book with elves to cut him a bit o slack

Son of Sanguinius
21-08-2010, 19:19
it wasnt that bad of a book, sure it had its shortcoming but it was his first book with elves to cut him a bit o slack

You and I both know McNeil can write better than that, Elves or no Elves. ;)

The_Lemon
21-08-2010, 19:43
Wait, did they kill Alarielle? That is so sad, I liked that character. Well maybe in the secuel Tyrion will get really angry and decide to go for Naggaroth, after all he was her consort and Tyrion is the main general of Ulthuan's armies.

Son of Sanguinius
21-08-2010, 20:40
Wait, did they kill Alarielle? That is so sad, I liked that character. Well maybe in the secuel Tyrion will get really angry and decide to go for Naggaroth, after all he was her consort and Tyrion is the main general of Ulthuan's armies.

All we know is she was stabbed.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
22-08-2010, 18:16
nah, in the most recent White Dwarf about the demons, it says the Everqueen was murdered :( very unfortunate. And no, it wasn't Graham McNeils best work, but it's still fun to see people from your tabletop army living and breathing in a book :D

Anaris
23-08-2010, 16:05
I liked it, but then I like any story with Elves in it :)

Really liked the bit with the Archer and the Assassin at the Griffon? Gate

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
23-08-2010, 18:48
Yeh, the battle scenes were impressive, but I was surprised how major a war McNeil created!! They'll have to mention a lot of the book in the next High Elf Army Book.

reds8n
23-08-2010, 19:04
I read the Graham McNeil (i think) novel Defenders of Ulthuan quite a while and really enjoyed it! Not the best book in the world but still pretty good!

However, it ended on a HORRIFIC cliffhanger that could potentially end up changing the whole Warhammer World (for the High Elves anyway)!!!

Does anyone know if a sequel is going to be made?

Also, in White Dwarf recently they mentioned the *SPOILER* murder of the Everqueen at the hands of a possessed elf, so they definetely have taken the Defenders of Ultuan story into Warhammer history. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

On the 23rd of July this year he announced he was getting ready to start work on it

With that project out of the way, I need to get my thinking pants on to write up my synopsis for Sons of Ellyrion, the long-awaited concluding part of my High Elf tale begun in Defenders of Ulthuan

http://www.graham-mcneill.com/gmblog/CommentView,guid,e79598e6-7c23-44ed-b1e1-bdcf70d05162.aspx

hope that's of some use.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
23-08-2010, 19:10
Thanks reds8n thats really helpful. Didn't know so many people were waiting on the sequel - i thought i was the only person who had read it for a while :D

reds8n
24-08-2010, 07:59
No worries.

Not his best work, but I am intrigued to see where he goes with it. been a while since I read it, but I recall thinking he, so to speak, shot his bolt a bit early with regards to exactly how beautiful the various kingdoms were, lots of crying and weeping at the beauty of currentprovinceX and the like, got a little tiresome.

wamphyri101
24-08-2010, 15:44
I have been nagging Graham for 2 years now and he confirmed there will be a sequel. I recon it will be Early 2012 though as he has another “Project” for GW that is more pressing….

reds8n
06-09-2010, 12:21
Then after that, at the beginning of September, I start Sons of Ellyrion, the long-awaited conclusion to the High Elf story begun in Defenders of Ulthuan.

..so..early 2012 then would be a reasonable guess ?

BobtheInquisitor
07-09-2010, 21:33
No worries.

Not his best work, but I am intrigued to see where he goes with it. been a while since I read it, but I recall thinking he, so to speak, shot his bolt a bit early with regards to exactly how beautiful the various kingdoms were, lots of crying and weeping at the beauty of currentprovinceX and the like, got a little tiresome.

That was just to make it all the sweeter more tragic when the Dark Elves burnt it all to the ground.

Ar-Gimilzor
12-09-2010, 08:46
I have yet to read the book, but does this all happen before or after the Storm of Chaos?

Fingol23
19-09-2010, 19:03
..so..early 2012 then would be a reasonable guess ?

September 2011 (http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/Sons-of-Ellyrion.html) would be a better one ;)

Hopefully they will re-release Defenders of Ulthuan as I haven't read it yet.

Nuggan
20-09-2010, 23:56
Re-read it recently as I basically couldn't remember any of it and it's really rather bad. Yes the "life of an elf" stuff is quite interesting but the plot dear god that was cliched, and the twists you could see coming a mile off.

It's rather a shame when you compare it to Guardians Of The Forest which does a rather good job at exploring Asrai life but also happens to a have a decent plot.