PDA

View Full Version : What armies do you play or collect?

mrln68
21-08-2010, 16:22
Pretty straight forward - take the poll, feel free to comment on the details here. Had to combine a couple of them due to poll limitations. Chaos and Inquisitors (plus the half dozen or so Spacey Marines).

For me, I have a Daemonhunters army heavy on the Ordo Malleus and light on the GK - though I collect the GK as well and can field over a full company sized group of them.

I also play with a Witchhunters army - entirely Sisters of Battle.

Eldar - two craftworlds. Big games, I mix and match with them.

Imperial guard I have two armies as well. One is sort of Catachan and the other is sort of Cadian/Elysian.

I don't really play my space marines - but I have a crap load of them painted up. Most of them are for a custom chapter.

Chaos flavoring comes from an Emperor's Children Legion. Lots of sonic weapons on vehicle mods, the Doomrider and Noise Marines.

Since the new armies split daemons off - I also have a small Daemons of Slaanesh army. They don't get played often - but look nifty on the shelf.

I also have a couple dozen super heavies and flyers which are either done or in the process of being built ranging from a Warlord all the way down to an Arvus Lighter with a few custom models in between.

Still to be built - I have a few Tau battleforces, an Ork box and a horde of Tyranids that I snagged because I like the way they look (never bothered to really put a list together for them).

LonelyPath
21-08-2010, 16:37
Chaos - I have a sizable force (about 3000 points) of Daemons and a small collection of CSM. I am considering a new Khorne Berserker army somewhere down the line.

DH/WH - both armies. 3000 for DH and about 750 of WH.

IG - My latest army and it current stands at around 2500 including a shadowsword/stormlord transformer tank.

Orks - around 6000 points playable under the current codex including my scratch built squadron of fighta bommers which I'm hoping to build another squadron of at some point.

SM - Dark Angels (generalised, DW and RW, plus 3 older DA armies), Crimson Fists (2 armies), Death Blade (old homebrew chapter) and other assorted forces.

Nids - around 4000 points at present, but wanting to add more.

Bloodknight
21-08-2010, 18:03
Dark Eldar 6700pts
IG about 10K, could be slightly more, could be slightly less.
CSM 10500 pts, half Nurgle, half Khorne

Most of it painted.

feno12
21-08-2010, 18:22
Collecting Deathwing (Dark Angels Terminators) and a Genestealer swarm.

VoodooJanus
21-08-2010, 18:27
I play the three more neglected armies (just my luck.)

Dark Eldar (about 2250 pts with options)
Tau (about 4000 points with options, plus one terrible investment AKA Manta)
Necrons (about 1500 pts. I bought this army when my other two felt like they were floundering... just my luck eh?)

Yunaris
21-08-2010, 18:29
I'm currently making my Necron army, sitting at around 2k points. Everythings assembled, but a good majority are still in the painting queue. My first army since I came back!

I've also got one of the old Eldar Army boxes with the special edition Autarch waiting for me once I'm done with my Necrons. Probably a 2k ish points in total with the other stuff I've got.

chaplian templar
21-08-2010, 19:10
im currently redoing my guard army at the mo but in total i can feild roughly up to 5000 pts at the mo thanks to having 3 baneblades and lots of other armoured units lol
im a real tread head fan

callsign-husker
21-08-2010, 19:23
At the moment I'm going with a Space Marine crusade army composed of four chapters: Relictors (love that they have a shady side); Eagle Warrior's (always loved the paint scheme); Aurora Chapter and my own chapter The Ariels.
Also working on a blitzkrieg guard force, will try and upload some pics somepoint soon.

the_gobbo_king
21-08-2010, 23:02
Been in the hobby five years, and have 1500 points of Orks. There's nothing like the zaniness of football hooligans in space.

Scott.

Scribe of Khorne
21-08-2010, 23:05
You should have split CSM and Daemons, I play both...

bigcheese76
21-08-2010, 23:22
I play Guard mainly with 10,000 points of them. I just love the tanks, but I have a fair bit of infantry to.

I also play Daemonhunters with mainly Grey Knights, but I am currently adding Inquisitors and trying to get all the Knights painted.

A while ago I decided I wanted to start Orks, so I did. After collecting a mass of 2,500 points I decided I didnt want them so still have most of them trying to sell them.

My second army that I started (after IG) was Chaos Marines. I stopped the army and am selling it now as I discovered I really dont like painting Chaos Marines, dont know why, I just prefer painting Imperial Marines.

So they are my armies, and two of them are getting slowly and steadily painted.

mrln68
22-08-2010, 00:25
You should have split CSM and Daemons, I play both...

I would have liked to, but the poll is limited to 10 options. I wanted to have all the armies who have their own codex separate (and thought about tossing in a few of the ones that have fallen out of favor, like LatD). So...I ended up having to combine Chaos Daemons with Chaos Space Marines, Witch and Daemon Hunters and drop all the misc. stuff like the other chapters as well as LatD.

Plebian
22-08-2010, 05:31
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Imperial Guard
Tyranids

Used to have:
Necrons
Tau
Salamanders

Souleater
22-08-2010, 08:19
Dark Eldar (main army). Eagerly awaiting the new dex. Only fully painted army currently. Very excited! New non-neon paint scheme. More goth rather than Drow skin tones.

Tyranids. Currently in the middle of the worlds slowest revamp. Would have played in first edition but I couldn't afford them. My main army since second up until about three years ago.

Necron. I really dig the Necron background and playstyle. Bit edgy about the next codex. If they go hordey I'll have to start different army because I want at least one one small model count, heavy infantry army.

Sisters of Battle. Owned since the first codex came out but haven't played them much. Strong possibility of them going to ebay to fund more Dark Eldar or the beginnings of a Dark Elf army. Or more Cryx or Malifaux.

Oh, and carefully wrapped in a box in the attic are my old RT Era Souleater Space Marines. I just can't get rid of these guys for sentimental reasons. :)

ForgottenLore
22-08-2010, 09:11
I have to say, these numbers are rather shocking to me.

Nids are in the bottom half?

D-Eldar beat out Necrons (who I always thought were fairly popular)?

All 5 loyalist Marine armies only tie IG, despite getting 5 times the attention?

Granted, a group of 60 warseer members, with an average of almost 3 armies per person aren't exactly a reliable sampling, but this does seem to put in doubt the supposed uber-popularity of Marines.

Necron2.0
22-08-2010, 09:25
I'm new to the game, so my first and most complete army is Necrons. I'm in the process of putting together Black Templars and Sisters of Battle armies. After that, I'm thinking of assembling a Dark Angels army.

VonManstein
22-08-2010, 09:33
I have to say, these numbers are rather shocking to me.

Nids are in the bottom half?

D-Eldar beat out Necrons (who I always thought were fairly popular)?

All 5 loyalist Marine armies only tie IG, despite getting 5 times the attention?

Granted, a group of 60 warseer members, with an average of almost 3 armies per person aren't exactly a reliable sampling, but this does seem to put in doubt the supposed uber-popularity of Marines.
Well like you say the amount of people who have voted yet isnt enough to draw conclusions.

But about the Marines thing, there could be another explaination: On forums like these the people who are on it are mostly pretty fanatical hobbyiests. Maybe Marines are popular with a lot of starting or less fanatical players? The ones who dont vote. Or people are ashamed of course of playing Marines :P

I know that even I started with Marines, but sold them a few months later for example.

My armies:
2000 points of Eldar
2000 points of Chaos (both tournement ready armies, no different lists really possible)
2500 points of Space Wolves (my main army I guess, the one which is expanding so I can play lots of different lists with it)

Latro_
22-08-2010, 12:22
@time of writing 36% IG, 44% orks lol doubt that'd be the case a few years ago

sigur
22-08-2010, 12:28
IG - must be about 6500-7000pts at the moment, with at least 5000pts painted
Witch Hunters - about 1500pts with 1000 fully painted
Orks - about 2000pts, about 1500pts painted

Interesting to see how relatively even the resuts on this one are. Wouldn't have been the case a few years ago.

Souleater
22-08-2010, 12:56
The fact that the poll allows multiple choices...I, too, would have thought that since almost everybody owns an SM army of some variety that they would have been in the 70-80% area.

Another thing is that some players own multiple SM armies.

Be interesting to see how things go as more responses are added.

destroyerlord
22-08-2010, 13:33
I've got close to 2000 points of Chaos marines, around half of which is second hand poorly painted (needs stripping), and the other half is unpainted. They will be Iron warriors one day.
I'm also collecting Orks, I've got little more than the battalion and AoBR so far, so around 1000 points there.
In the future I'd love to do chaos guard, but I just don't have the time for that kind of modelling project, I also love Necrons, but in their current state it was Orks that got me.

Latro_
22-08-2010, 13:43
The fact that the poll allows multiple choices...I, too, would have thought that since almost everybody owns an SM army of some variety that they would have been in the 70-80% area.

Another thing is that some players own multiple SM armies.

Be interesting to see how things go as more responses are added.

hehe even though about everyone owns a space marine army, some wont admit to it and a lot more will seldom play with it heh.

laudarkul
22-08-2010, 13:44
Growing IG more than 4.000. My first army and since new models appears it seems a neverending story. The vat majority are cadians but slowly I intend to have at least 1000 pts SL and 500 Valhallans (those models are still in blisters waiting to have the time).
Up to 2000 GK till the end of this year painted. Another FW GK Dread and another LR and maybe another 5 PAGK box will be enough.
Up to 1500 SoB.Models under acquisition/assembling process.
Up to 500 =][= ST and Rhino's and Inquisitors (WH and DH).

R0ot
22-08-2010, 16:09
Space Marines (Black Templars) - At the moment I play Black Templars and I don't see myself switching any time soon.

Nids - My first ever army back at the start of 3rd, great fun playing them but never use them anymore

Tau - Second army at the end of 3rd/Start of 4th on their first codex, again don't think I'll ever play them again

Chaos - Was given an army of chaos and played them for awhile in 4th with the old chaos codex when I played Thousand Sons (when they couldn't use bikes/havocs etc)

Rendell
22-08-2010, 19:35
Only just recently got back into the Hobby after selling everything a year or two ago >~> many freinds said i'd be back and they were right.

I WILL be collecting Eldar if i can finish an army in a week :)

RanaldLoec
22-08-2010, 19:45
Well

13,000 Orks bad moons and snakebite klans

Mostly troops and elites things of note 2 forgeworld squigs 1 BIG kustom stompa over a hundred gretchin, hundreds of boyz and 50 odd nobs.

It's all for apocalypse

4k of Imperial Guard with an inquisitor slant to it.

Oh I nearly forgot

2k of chaos marines gonna eBay them though

Lord Damocles
22-08-2010, 19:51
Blood Angels ~11,000pts

Necrons ~6500pts

Daemonhunters ~2000pts

Witch Hunters ~2000pts

Imperial Guard ~1750pts

Eldar ~1500pts

Genestealer Cult ~500pts

Forgotmytea
22-08-2010, 21:46
Eldar - 2000ish pts (might be closer to 2500 nowadays)

Thousand Sons - 1500pts

Necrons - 2000pts

Damien 1427
22-08-2010, 22:05
Orks, with various plans ongoing. The infantry-heavy horde of Warboss Squigkicker, the Dreadbash of Big Mek Gitfindah, and even a prototype or two for an Armoured Krumpany. I have a single (!) mob of orks done and dusted, but a lot of other stuff in various stages of completion - Right now, I'm trying to build runtbot Spanna Boyz, but it's entirely possible after the prototype is finished I may end up working on Cybork Slashas, or Dreads.

I'd like to start a small Guard infantry company, the Callahan 44th Light Infantry (Second Company), but I'm still waiting for Wayland to send me my Wargames Factory Shocktroops. :p I'd like to do an Armoured Company as well, and I have plans for building my own Leman Russes out of sheet styrene. Regardless, the Callahan 44th are intended to be entirely without GW kits or parts.

I'm working on a warband of Dragon Warriors CSM, with a few squads and some lesser daemons in one stage of completion or another. I do have a bit of fluff for them, and I'm trying like hell to avoid the "they're eeevil Salamanders" thing. So I'm going for a theme of them being looters and thieves, stealing treasures and artefacts for their draconic master deep within the Eye.

I do have some Loyalists who exist as prepped figures and a few test models. They may end up as Space Sharks, but more likely to end up as Swords of the Emperor... Not to be confused with the Emperor's Swords. :p Infantry-heavy "young" Chapter.

Trouble is, I find it hard to paint or prep in the summer, but it's hard to basecoat when it's cold. So I usually build all year around, basecoat in summer, and paint in the winter.

Mortarion74
22-08-2010, 22:24
my total army list to date stands at:

Space marines Imperial fists, 5,000pts
Space marines Fleash Eaters 2,500pts
Imperial Guard Cadian shock troops 9,000pts
Imperial Guard 'Napoleonic french' 800pts [still in progress]
Tau 4,000pts
Chaos Daemons and Plague marines 6,500pts
Ork 6,000pts
Tyranid 3,500pts [very much still in progress]
Eldar 4,000pts
Necron 3,000pts

Armies I am working on but only in bits so far

Imperial guard Deathkorps of krieg
Slann 40k style
Hrud
Demerg/Squats

thats so far at this point.

Aedes
22-08-2010, 22:29
I have got around 2500 points of Nurgle Chaos Space Marines.
And just started with a Blood Angels successor named the "pink angels".
;)

Warmaster Bill
23-08-2010, 03:39
around 3000 points of CSM and about 1000 points of Traitor Gaurd

freddieyu
23-08-2010, 03:44
I play the three more neglected armies (just my luck.)

Dark Eldar (about 2250 pts with options)
Tau (about 4000 points with options, plus one terrible investment AKA Manta)
Necrons (about 1500 pts. I bought this army when my other two felt like they were floundering... just my luck eh?)

Kudos to you for that! Hopefully salvation is around the corner for your dark eldar!!

My armies are in my sig below..the witchhunters are the smallest, but with enough for at least 2 battle sisters squads, a dominion squad, 4 immolator chassis (I will use some as exorcists), a large sisters repentia squad, inquisitor plus retinue, arco flagellants, and a couple of penitent engines that should be more than 2000 pts I think...

Gilfred The Iron Knight
23-08-2010, 03:53
Ultra marines 8,000
Tyranids 4,500
Eldar 4,000
Black Templar 3,500
Orks 3,000
Imperial Guard 2,000
Dark Eldar 1,500
Space wolves 1,000
10 Battle Sisters
5 deathwing terminators
Captain Tycho with 5 BA marines
1 daemon hunter =][=

mrln68
23-08-2010, 04:02
Out of curiosity, do you guys include flyers and superheavies in your army sizes or only stuff that can be fielded in normal games?

I only list stuff for normal games when I count my army sizes - mostly due to things like a Warlord being worth more than either of my guard armies by themselves (not to mention a small herd of Bane/Storm tanks) all of which would add greatly to the total points.

Anywho, some interesting numbers so far.

Axis
23-08-2010, 04:46
Night Lords
Angels Encarmine
Tyranids

Am considering an imperial guard army but i'm not 100% sure so i didnt put them down

destroyerlord
23-08-2010, 10:48
hehe even though about everyone owns a space marine army, some wont admit to it and a lot more will seldom play with it heh.

Funny thing is there was a poll right here in 40k general just a few weeks ago asking about how many people at least owned some space marines, and the result was around 70-80% (I might check later).
Perhaps owning a few squads doesn't mean the same thing as actually building and gaming with an army, but that would suggest that while most of us own some marines, there are much fewer that actually collect/game with them.

Edit: Found it, and it shows pretty much the same conclusion. 40% only play marines or use them as their main army, but a further 36% at least own a space marine army. I guess those 36% didn't think it was worth ticking the marine box this time around...
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267920

de Selby
23-08-2010, 10:56
I collect everything except Dark Eldar... given that Jes Goddwin and Juan Diaz have apparently been working on the new models, I expect that to change shortly...

laudarkul
23-08-2010, 13:12
Out of curiosity, do you guys include flyers and superheavies in your army sizes or only stuff that can be fielded in normal games?

Only stuff for normal games. I also have a BB and a Thunderbolt (both need painting). As for other stuff I intend for a Stormlord (for a Superheavy company) and a Lightning (2 fighters are always better than one:) ).

Lars Porsenna
23-08-2010, 15:16
Lets see:

Chaos Space Marines: 3 flavors (Iron Warriors, World Eaters, Alpha Legion), mainly because I couldn't decide on which to focus on. Of the three, WE are the largest.

Eldar: Saim-hann, nice color scheme. I have a maxed out squadron (w/Warlock) of jetbikes, 3 Falcons, a bunch of Vypers, as well as all the other aspects. I can go "fluffy" or I can go conventional. Big army, lots of flexibility in composition.

Necrons: I liked the models, and they are dead easy to paint (I use an airbrush: I prime black, then airbrush Tamiya Metallic Gray, wash black, then highlight with chainmail and silver. A little green for one of the gun tubes, and we're done). Around 2000pts.

Space Marines: Salamanders.

Armies I've started, but never completed/don't have enough models for: SoB, IG Daemons (some see double-duty in my CSM armies though...)

Damon.

lordmetroid
23-08-2010, 15:32
Nothing but greenskins! Orkz for 40k
Orkz for BFG!
Night Goblins for fantasy
Goblins for Blood Bowl

loveless
23-08-2010, 15:36
Hooray, somewhere I can pointlessly post my long-term 40K plans :p

Started out with Witch Hunters and got sick of them not being updated.
Currently working on Space Marines (Iron Knights).
Will progress to Blood Angels or Dark Eldar after that.
Will return to Witch Hunters when they are updated.

Hypaspist
23-08-2010, 15:42
Dark Angels (about 10k points - Mostly unpainted) :(
Orks (about 3k points - Mostly painted!) :)
Tyranids (about 5k points - completely unpainted) :(

Hence my involvement in the Tale of 40k painters this year, got to get those Dark Angels Done! Else I'll never be able to justify the Dark Eldar to the wife...

(Or the Elysian drop regiment I have planned...:shifty:)

ChrisMurray
23-08-2010, 15:43
1k Necrons (only basecoated except for 1 squad I'm afraid)
1k Orks - current project (dread mob, 1 dread painted so far)
750pts Chaos space marines\world eaters (this is my "best painting" army so is progressing slowly but is worth it - I refuse to game with any unpainted models with this one.)

Spell_of_Destruction
23-08-2010, 16:00
Eldar and IG. Mostly just Eldar - I've easily got over 5k points of stuff although I have never bothered to tally it up.

Born Again
23-08-2010, 16:06
CSM's, Orks and Tau. I also voted Dark Eldar, as I have every intention of starting them as soon as they're released. A Chaos Daemons army is also planned when time and money allows... and they give me plastic plaguebearers!

Biellan
23-08-2010, 18:01
~10k Eldar including cobra, revenant and a phoenix
~3k IG
~2k Space Wolves

For a long time Eldar were my main army but now I've started Space Wolves and I currently find them far more fun to play

pate
23-08-2010, 20:46
I collect and play:

Death Guard, currently at 1500p, wont be expanding it until I've painted what I've got so far.
Eldar, currently at 2000p, see above. Also considering selling this army to make room for other stuff.

mrln68
24-08-2010, 13:53
Edit: Found it, and it shows pretty much the same conclusion. 40% only play marines or use them as their main army, but a further 36% at least own a space marine army. I guess those 36% didn't think it was worth ticking the marine box this time around...

I think a lot of that has to do with just ending up with a space marine army and not playing with it or collecting them (collecting as opposed to just having a pile of spacey marines). I know I bought three of the Maccrage boxed sets for the terrain parts and the random nids (for the army I haven't gotten around to doing anything with). I also picked up one of the Black Reach boxed sets for some bits for a customers project. Between those, it is a small army of space marines. Granted with mine, they do end up getting rolled into my Spacey Marines - but not everyone has an interest in them.

Hive Fleet Chiron
24-08-2010, 15:10
I have 8K of Tyranids and plan on going as far as 10k before stopping. I have put them on the back burna for my new Orks.

I used to own 2k of Space Wolves but, am selling them. Sadly I can't make 3+ saves for Imperium anything.

I was also going to also do IG tank company but asking around my FLGS only 3 out of 13 people said that they would play against the list.

I really don't see a drawback for Orks for me because I love most of the GW new plastic kits so now I will have a reason to buy them without saying to myself "No, I can't start a new army."
I was thinking about looting a Daemon Prince, but I don't know what I would use it as.

Luisjoey
24-08-2010, 20:37
I do have 7 armies

Black Templars (Purple Templars) up to 3000 pts
Imperial Guard (Recios de Venzarl) up to 3000 pts
Space Marines (Imperial Fist) up to 2500 pts
Tyranids (Devourer hive Fleet) up to 2000 pts
Orks (Reggetorks) up to 1500 pts
Dark Eldar (Kabal of Sodomy) up to 2000 pts
Witchhunters (Bleeding Heart Sisters) up to 1000 pts

I have some tentation about IRON WARRIORS chaos marines... but not yet! love to model, paint and playing those armies.

orcsorks
24-08-2010, 21:05
About 3000pts of Orks, all in varying stages of built/painted/modded. Currently working on my Flash Gitz (shootier & more dakka) & deffkoptas (buzzsaws & bigbomms). Next purchase is some Killa Kans (old metal ones if I can snag them from ebay).

Just started Space Marines, debating on going dreadheavy with Master of the Forge, infantry heavy, or transport/tank heavy.

Waiting for updates on Daemonhunters/Witch Hunters before I decide if I wanna start collecting.