PDA

View Full Version : Idea for an Ethereal VC Army

envy
21-08-2010, 18:11
I've pretty much settled for Vampire Counts as my first Fantasy army, but I'm looking to do something different in terms of modelling. I want to have an all ethereal using the Wringwraith/Morgul/Black Numeroean models from the LoTR range. So my question is, how is the scale compared to the Warhammer models? Since ~80% of the army would be using the LoTR models it's not that big of a deal, but I've heard LoTR are 28mm scale as opposed to the 28mm heroic that Warhammer is.

Orcboy_Phil
21-08-2010, 18:34
There slightly smaller the Warhammer minis, also there more of a true scale compared to GW's overlarge hands etc...

NecroNurgle
21-08-2010, 19:13
I would seriously look at taking whatever models you use from LotR and giving them some warhammer flair. One of the things about the setting that I like is how over the top it is.

rodmillard
21-08-2010, 19:44
If you're looking to fill out your core choices in truescale 28mm you can't do much better than the Mantic minis. They scale very well with LOTR, and come in at a fraction of the GW cost to boot.

Interestingly, I came up with the same model list you did but in reverse - I was looking for minis that would scale well with the mantic figures I already own, and settled on LOTR. I now have a unit of morghul knights/blood knights, 3 Black Numenorean warriors (who will be hero level vamps) and the Mouth of Sauron for my general. Also consider using Gulvahar as a Varghulf (he's on my wish list!)

Since I also play LOTR (but hadn't dabbled in Mordor before) they also form the core of a Minas Morgul force for the SBG.

envy
22-08-2010, 02:29
If you're looking to fill out your core choices in truescale 28mm you can't do much better than the Mantic minis. They scale very well with LOTR, and come in at a fraction of the GW cost to boot.

Interestingly, I came up with the same model list you did but in reverse - I was looking for minis that would scale well with the mantic figures I already own, and settled on LOTR. I now have a unit of morghul knights/blood knights, 3 Black Numenorean warriors (who will be hero level vamps) and the Mouth of Sauron for my general. Also consider using Gulvahar as a Varghulf (he's on my wish list!)

Since I also play LOTR (but hadn't dabbled in Mordor before) they also form the core of a Minas Morgul force for the SBG.

Oh don't you worry, I'm going to be using Mantic Zombies. I was considering using their ghouls as well, but I have an idea that involves kitbashing Dark Elf Corsars and grave guard that I really like.

I guess I'll buy a couple of the models and see if it makes a difference.