PDA

View Full Version : Games Day Failure?

unheilig
21-08-2010, 21:26
Last I checked, fantasy just came out with a new edition and there are supposedly lots of new models on the way... and Games Day has NOTHING on that?

dont get me wrong, I like new 40k stuff too, but do they not promote fantasy at ALL?

Tae
21-08-2010, 21:32
Last I checked, fantasy just came out with a new edition and there are supposedly lots of new models on the way... and Games Day has NOTHING on that?

dont get me wrong, I like new 40k stuff too, but do they not promote fantasy at ALL?

No they don't promote WFB at all. You mean apart from the fact that since the Blood Angles release in May there's been virtually nothing promoted apart from WFB?

But in terms of Games Day, the thing is dying a death outside of Golden Daemon. Rumours are cut back, exclusives are being withdrawn, advance purchases are limited. It's no longer what it once was.

unheilig
21-08-2010, 21:38
seems its becoming more of a "forge world day", which i guess isnt so bad... but maybe advertise it as such.

taffeh
21-08-2010, 21:43
If u looked back at last years GD UK (ie on home ground for GW) - there was not on this front, and there was a lot of chatter about clamping down on future releases etc... :) So what did you expect? *insert your army here* coming out in lead-plated plastic? All we had were Skaven and Nid Book covers :)

Grimstonefire
21-08-2010, 21:45
I think it is a little too early to judge as most people are still there and have yet to report back.

The problem I see time and time again is that people expect to see something new from the studio at games days... Those times are gone, for the most part. Only GD UK will you see something that people haven't already posted on forums usually.

FW stuff is the exception.

No, I wouldn't call it a failure until we hear back from the people who have spoken to the FW people. Fear not fantasy fans, from chaos dwarfs online we have 2 staffers there quizzing them. ;) If there is anything to be known I trust these guys will find it out.

unheilig
21-08-2010, 22:01
lol... maybe i'm overreacting, but its been a couple days for me of not hearing back on stuff about fantasy I was expecting to.

Bloody Nunchucks
21-08-2010, 22:07
well, ,GW promotes more 40k than fantasy i think, i'm sure that they will have wfb stuff there

Grimstonefire
21-08-2010, 22:17
I am sure there will be fantasy stuff from FW at games day UK. They said in March it would not be long, so I am really hopeful.

Whether it is worth spending the money on train and a ticket for the privilege of witnessing it, when you could just save the money to actually buy it is the question.

knightime98
22-08-2010, 10:53
I thought the same thing and here is a thread that I started based on the idea that fantasy was going down hill. 8th Edition has breathed new life to it though.
This is an older link but still works if you are interested in what people had to say about WHFB in general.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259836

CrownAxe
22-08-2010, 11:52
GW is still notorious for not revealing info on future releases.

UberBeast
22-08-2010, 15:29
I think it is a little too early to judge as most people are still there and have yet to report back.

The problem I see time and time again is that people expect to see something new from the studio at games days... Those times are gone, for the most part. Only GD UK will you see something that people haven't already posted on forums usually.

FW stuff is the exception.

No, I wouldn't call it a failure until we hear back from the people who have spoken to the FW people. Fear not fantasy fans, from chaos dwarfs online we have 2 staffers there quizzing them. ;) If there is anything to be known I trust these guys will find it out.

I'll call it a failure. I lapped the convention hall a dozen times looking for anything that might be news worthy, and aside from forgeworld's Badab book (which was really just rules for models we have already seen) there wasn't anything to be had.

It's bad enough that the US GDs have declined over the last 7 years to become little more than a single day retail store, and that the US is cut down to a single gamesday despite having by far the largest share in GWs retail sales, but to completely cut us off from the pre-release viewings and upcoming information... There hardly seems any reason to go to GD anymore. I have better tables at my local game store (many of which I helped build) and when I spend money there I help support my local gaming community.

PS- the mythic presentation was pathetic. I wouldn't expect warhammer online to be around much longer.

Grimstonefire
22-08-2010, 20:22
I haven't heard back in full yet from the staffers I mentioned above, but early indications are that they were very secretive about anything fantasy. So nothing new to add. :(

Probably the wrong FW people there to get any decent info out of them.

Imo if you're not entering golden daemon there aren't a lot of reasons to go to any games day.

Scryer in the Darkness
22-08-2010, 20:41
Imo if you're not entering golden daemon there aren't a lot of reasons to go to any games day.
Lotsa people gaming at Games Day. :yes:

GW don't do much news at Games Days any more, they do next to none at Games Days outside of the UK. It's been this way for more than a year. There was no reason to expect any news of any kind at Baltimore beyond Forge World, which had already been talked about being revealed there.

It's really not much point attending Games Day of you're after GW news - or expecting much in the way of GW news - besides GD UK. But if you want to see awesome tables and miniatures, play some games, build some stuff, paint some models, and talk to a bunch of people responsible for the games and miniatures, and generally have a group nerdgasm, then it's a great event.

Avian
22-08-2010, 21:08
No wonder attendance has been dropping for a while now.

Scryer in the Darkness
22-08-2010, 21:11
I blame the internet. ;)

Artinam
22-08-2010, 21:12
My only Games Day in Germany was very meh.
It was an expensive day, food, drinks, entrance and parking were all pretty high (poor student).

There was a waiting line of at least a hundred persons at the Forgeworld shop.
Well then there were some battles which were cool for a glance and the Golden Daemon. I was bored with the entire event after two hours. Vowed never to go there unless they radically change the formula.

UberBeast
22-08-2010, 21:13
There may not have been a good reason to expect news, but there certainly was a lot of expectation. GW let a lot of people down again this year.

As far as how great an event it is... HMGS runs better conventions with its eyes closed and manages to do a number of them every year.

GW might as well just throw in the towl when it comes to convention quality because the best thing they have going on are the club games and those can be (and typically are) run in a someones garage.

Scryer in the Darkness
22-08-2010, 21:18
There may not have been a good reason to expect news, but there certainly was a lot of expectation.
There was? :confused: I don't know anybody who was expecting news at Baltimore besides from Forge World (and Mythic, Black Library, etc - but I don't think that's what we're discussing here).

Halelel
23-08-2010, 05:15
No wonder attendance has been dropping for a while now.

Agree 100%

Look at most expos, they advertise products that is pretty much a given. But what keeps people going back year after year are new items, new movies, new rumors, and just new news in general. I mean, how successful would E3 be if they just showed video games that were already widely available or if ComicCon didn't release teasers on new shows and movies. Heck, even your local gardening convention would die off if it was the same rehashed crap year after year.

You would think GW would have someone smart enough to realize this and have a few new miniature sets released say a week or two in advance of their normal release time at the Gamesdays or have some exciting news prepared to share with attendance members on future products and armies. You generally want to generate a buzz for these events and to have people planning a year in advance to go to the next show, not to drive your audience away because its just a glitzy glorified large LGS event.

Its saddening to see the complete lack of business sense with GW, I mean people are reporting they were bored at this convention. You have to have put in absolutely no effort to bore us geek fanboys at a geek convention.

Scryer in the Darkness
23-08-2010, 05:25
I mean people are reporting they were bored at this convention.
Apart from Whineseer I've been reading reports of people having an absolute blast (that's a direct quote) right across the board. Playing games, painting models, seeing cool stuff and winning free swag. It seems to only be people solely interested in news who are disappointed. But no news at Games Day is how it's been for a long time now. If you're only going for news, Games Day is not for you.

Odominus
23-08-2010, 05:55
I didn't go. But I wonder how hard it is to come off something that would actually generate buzz with little no no effort. Such as saying what army gets updated next. Don't even need to give a date. Sooo simple.

Bassik
23-08-2010, 09:16
Why did they put the clamps on their new releases anyway? I allways found it very exciting months in advance, and when the product finally came out, I usually bought it without thinking.

BigRob
23-08-2010, 09:34
10 years ago Games day was worth visiting.

We had seminars, the whole studio was there to chat and showcase new releases, upcomming ideas, protoytypes and artwork, we had the mega displays, often we had more than one, I remember 4 back in 2000/2001. There were the funny games like a game of Epic at 40K scale or the warhammer ahoy with the ships. Gaming clubs took part and did things and you had the black library with everything from books, WFRP, Displays from the archive of ancient models and products and so much more.

Then retail took over and Games day became all about selling stuff, stuff which you could buy from the store when you got home 9/10 times. So people started entering GD just to get in and buy the models being released in 5-6 weeks anyway. Now there is even less. The last GD I went to was rubbish, there was nothing there, very few games, very little of interest, no one was talking, no displays of upcomming stuff :cries:

Games Day is not what it was.

Commissar Vaughn
23-08-2010, 10:28
I went to GD once a few years ago, and decided that for the 30 quid it cost me its nowhere near as good as Triples or Salute and the like. I really enjoy going to these cons, 5 or 6 times cheaper on the door, plenty of demo and participation games, much greater variety of traders and suppliers, plus second hand and bring and buy stalls.

Triples>Gamesday

Grimstonefire
23-08-2010, 10:58
Considering they've been discussing the HE releases openly now, you'd have thought they could include just 1 model from each of the new plastics to generate buzz. Or even a 3-up head or something.

It's hardly going to affect sales much more than the info on their site would.

On a different note, does anyone else think that suddenly the rumour window seems to have opened up a bit again? No longer are we discussing what is coming out next, we're talking about

HE wave
Skaven wave
O&G book
possible a few things on TK as well.

That is a lot more than we were discussing 6 months ago. If we had rulebook rumours for the O&G book in the next 3 months I could almost believe we're back to the good old days of warseer!

logan054
23-08-2010, 11:41
You people really wonder what I have got myself into, I'm actually going this year to help run some games of forgeworld stuff and the last time I when Gorka Morka came out (I think). I have a booklet with some warhammer quest bits in and a massive picture of the seige of the emperor's palace, It used to be great, I remember getting my hands on a Minotaur Lord, Scyla and some other chaos bits months before they came out.

UberBeast
23-08-2010, 15:57
Yeah, I remember when they used to pre-release stuff. The last time I remember seeing them do that at a US gamesday was with the 40k Steel Legion.

enyoss
23-08-2010, 17:15
Apart from Whineseer I've been reading reports of people having an absolute blast (that's a direct quote) right across the board. Playing games, painting models, seeing cool stuff and winning free swag. It seems to only be people solely interested in news who are disappointed. But no news at Games Day is how it's been for a long time now. If you're only going for news, Games Day is not for you.

I don't think it's just those looking for news who are disappointed. I only went to a couple back in 1995-96 but I found them to be particularly lacking on the gaming front. There was lots of `lets see who can Waaaaagh! loudest to see how far this unit moves!!!!', and very little decent gaming. I can't imagine the gaming has changed much either. It was great talking to the design team, especially Jervis, but the novelty does wear off after a while. In fact, apart from talking to the studio staff, I'm not really sure what the point of Games Day is?

Scryer in the Darkness
24-08-2010, 18:56
I don't think it's just those looking for news who are disappointed. I only went to a couple back in 1995-96 but I found them to be particularly lacking on the gaming front. There was lots of `lets see who can Waaaaagh! loudest to see how far this unit moves!!!!', and very little decent gaming. I can't imagine the gaming has changed much either.
I don't think what you think is correct. As far as people's experiences go, all I can do is pass on the reports I've heard, which for those people gaming on the day and taking part in the various contests, etc, have been withough exception "had an absolute blast". The only people I've heard complaints from are those who went for news and only news. Also tons of people walking away with US$100+ worth of free stuff as well, and not just the models you paint/convert/build yourself (some of which were the new Daemons gear) but sealed GW product. All the usual close-out stock of course, but also good stuff like Limited Edition blisters, Battleforces, Space Hulks, Assault On Black Reach, etc. I know one guy who had US$350 worth of stuff at the end of the day, all for armies he collected, after swapping with others. I know another who had US$250 worth, and I think it was over on the Lustria forums another guy had US$400+.

So I think in reality, the day is very different to what you imagine. To paraphrase one person - if you weren't having fun, you simply weren't trying. For every newshound disappointed with the lack of news, there's 20 other people having an absolute ball.

In fact, apart from talking to the studio staff, I'm not really sure what the point of Games Day is?
:wtf: Seriously, WTF. Games Day has always been more than talking to the Studio staff. It's about showcasing the hobby in all its glory - artwork, models, tables (some awesome tables this year), scenery, design concepts, Golden Demon, etc, etc - and basically getting people involved and having some fun. And it does it in spades. Aside from other people's experiences, the tables and displays at Baltimore this year are some of the best I've seen, rivalling and possibly even exceeding those at UK Games Days. Loads of contests and fun games too, the huge Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Stompas arena was pretty hilarious and deadly apparently, and the Dreadnought Deathmatch and remote-controlled Imperial Tank laser tag game(!) were big hits too. :D

EDIT - Not to mention the Guess The Range game they were playing with that life-sized Empire Cannon. :D

enyoss
24-08-2010, 19:26
I don't think what you think is correct.

So I think in reality, the day is very different to what you imagine. To paraphrase one person - if you weren't having fun, you simply weren't trying. For every newshound disappointed with the lack of news, there's 20 other people having an absolute ball.

Well, my views are based entirely on my own experiences, which are admittedly from a long time ago, but which definitely happened in reality and not in my imagination. I didn't say it to be a contrarian, it is genuinely how I felt as someone who is very interested in the hobby, primarily from a gaming perspective, and who really has no interest whatsoever in the news-gathering aspect.

I'm not entirely sure why you think I was actively trying to have a bad time. Overall, the day was OK. My highlight was having a long chat with Jervis about the upcoming Bretonnia revamp, and talking with Trish Morrison about her work. The gaming front was just crap in my experience. The games weren't Warhammer at all as the rules were thrown completely out of the window: it was literally a shouting contest to see which units moved, which spells got through, how many shots got fired etc.. Now, things might be different these days, but based on that experience I wouldn't go again for the gaming alone. I mean, from that description, would you find the gaming a good incentive to pay for a ticket and make a special effort to attend?

:wtf: Seriously, WTF. Games Day has always been more than talking to the Studio staff. It's about showcasing the hobby in all its glory - artwork, models, tables (some awesome tables this year), scenery, design concepts, Golden Demon, etc, etc - and basically getting people involved and having some fun.

Some of the centre-pieces I saw when I last went were pretty impressive (the full Space Marines chapter in 1995 and the Lizardman assault on a Bretonnian castle in 1996), but I didn't think they justified the time, effort and cost of attending. I also guess it all boils down to what you consider fun. My gaming group and myself enjoy going to Warhammer World and using their tables, looking around the set pieces they have and being immersed in the Warhammer environment (we used meet up near Nottingham), but we don't like playing in showcase games with 20 people per side in the local GW on a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, you clearly have a great time when you go to Games Day, and that's great. With regards to going on what you've heard though, I'm afraid you're going to have to add my experiences as an exception to the "had an absolute blast".

Scryer in the Darkness
24-08-2010, 19:34
Well, my views are based entirely on my own experiences, which are admittedly from a long time ago, but which definitely happened in reality and not in my imagination. I didn't say it to be a contrarian
I didn't say it to necessarily be contrary, I was pointing out a bunch of people's experiences from this years Games Day.

I'm not entirely sure why you think I was actively trying to have a bad time.
:wtf: Yeeeaah. Where did I say that. I was talking about Games Day Baltimore 2010.

Anyway, you clearly have a great time when you go to Games Day, and that's great. With regards to going on what you've heard though, I'm afraid you're going to have to add my experiences as an exception to the "had an absolute blast".
You seem to be confused. I'm talking about Game Day Baltimore 2010. Unless you've in fact confused me and you actually attended on the weekend? :confused:

enyoss
24-08-2010, 19:52
You seem to be confused. I'm talking about Game Day Baltimore 2010. Unless you've in fact confused me and you actually attended on the weekend? :confused:

It turns out that I was confused, and didn't realize you were referring to Baltimore 2010 specifically in your whole post rather than Games Days in general. You didn't mention Baltimore at all until right at the end, and it seemed you were making a specific point about the tables and displays that appeared there.

If you wanted to challenge a negative experience of Baltimore 2010 in particular you might have been better off quoting a post from someone who actually went there! I did make it clear I was talking about my experiences of Games Days past, and was referring to the concept of Games Days in general.

Scryer in the Darkness
24-08-2010, 20:00
It turns out that I was confused, and didn't realize you were referring to Baltimore 2010 specifically in your whole post rather than Games Days in general. You didn't mention Baltimore at all until right at the end, and it seemed you were making a specific point about the tables and displays that appeared there.

If you wanted to challenge a negative experience of Baltimore 2010 in particular you might have been better off quoting a post from someone who actually went there! I did make it clear I was talking about my experiences of Games Days past, and was referring to the concept of Games Days in general.

Just to add a context, the OP originally posted his dissatifaction about the lack of Fantasy news in the Games Day Baltimore 2010 thread, which was then removed by the Mods. He posted this thread and is referring to Games Day Baltimore in the OP (and subsequent posts) and as such is nominally the topic of this thread. All my posts in this thread have been in reference to Games Day Baltimore. Halelel used the singlular "people were bored at this convention" so it is natural to assume he was referring to Games Day Baltimore. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. I was just adding some clarity on the topic at hand.

EDIT - You quoted me BTW, I was just responding to your comments.

EDIT #2 - I'm just explaining my posts, not attacking you by the way.