PDA

View Full Version : The Black Ruby: A Pirate Tale. Recruitment.

Xavier
05-03-2006, 17:04
Avast, yee scurvy dogs. Here be a Pirate RPG (That kinda rhymed..)

In brief we will be the crew of a pirate ship, the Dark Ruby, which I will go into more detail later. We will be looting and pillaging in the Tilean sea and the Black Gulf and maybe further still.

Lord Setra and I will be running this RPG, this will not have much effect on the way the story advances as most posts by myself will be doing that. Setra is mearly on hand to offer help with the story line and for a future development we have planned.

If any of you have msn please add us,

Pirate's Code of Conduct:
- No background issues. Now while I want this to be as true as possible to fantasy background, I don't want it to turn into some huge argument over some small details about why certain people wouldn't be pirates or what ever. I will hold it as true to the background as I can, but with some poetic licence.

- This will be a realistic rpg, while you are all better than average crew men you are not immortal, you cannot take on an entire tavern of drunkards and win etc, just try and keep it as believable as possible.

Characters:
- You are all free to be whatever you like within reason. You are all a member of the crew in a position of higher rank. I will give you a small list of the positions I can think of, but feel free to add to them provided it isn't the same position as someone else with a different name and try and clear it with me first.

Now within these restrictions I only want a small selection of the different races, for the majority we are a human crew from Saratosa and the surrounding lands, you can all be of different races. By this I mean you can be Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Ogre or Elf.
The Human can represent any of the different Countrys where Humans are found, So The Empire, Bretonia, Nippon, Kislev, Ind, Araby, Cathay, Tilea, Norsca, Southlands, Estalia etc. He can be anything you can imagine, within reason.
The Dwarf can represent any hold of dwarfs, though would probably be from Barak Varr. Im looking more for a slayer pirate (Long Drongs Slayer Pirates.), but engineers etc would be ok. (Max of 2)
The Halfling will obviously be from the Moot. Could be anything you like, but bear in mind just a halfling.
The Ogre is just that, an Ogre, always useful to have around. Probably wouldn't have much of a position on the ship rather than just muscle, but could be a Lead belcher or a Man Eater (Thinking of the Pirate Maneater) etc. (Max of 1)
The Elf can represent any of the Elven races, though I will need a very good reason why a Wood Elf would be on a pirate ship.. or a High Elf for that matter. Within the Ship they would probably not be that high in the rankings, although a Mist Mage would be quite cool to have. (Max of 2)

The Racial Maximums Ive imposed are just to try and keep the crew mostly Human, I have no real issues with people wanting to be somthing different and cool.

Also a point to remember, the crew of the ship is roughly 75 stong, obviously we wont have 75 roleplayers, that is just beyond thinking about, so most will be NPC's. This does however mean that people will still be able to join once we start, they can just take the position of one of the NPC characters.

Crew List:
I have tried to be as thorough as possible with this list, these are all the types of Crew we will have, though not all need be represented by a person. Infact many are probably best not represented and filled with an NPC.

Captain (Taken) - A pirate captain is cut from a different mold, because previous experience had taught most that life at sea was harsh enough without an inexperienced or cruel leader making it worse. He is elected as a sort of president of this shaky democracy, someone already respected for their leadership and navigation skills who would be level-headed and decisive in the heat of battle.
QuaterMaster (Taken) - In charge of maintaining order, distributing rations and supplies, delegating work, and guarding and dividing plunder. When discipline or punishment is necessary, only he could give it, but even then it is with the agreement of the captain or the vote of the crew.
0-1 Sailing Master (Taken) - The officer in charge of navigation and the sailing of the ship, he looks after the the maps and instruments necessary for navigation.
0-1 Boatswain (Taken) - Supervises the maintenance of the vessel and its supply stores, responsible for inspecting the ship and it's sails and rigging is also in charge of all deck activities.
0-1 Carpenter (Taken) - Responsible for the maintenance and repair of the wooden hull, masts and yards, checks the hull regularly, Often he will have an assistant whom he in turn trained as a carpenter.
0-1 Master Gunner (Taken) - Responsible for the ship's cannons and swivel guns including any ammunition. He is also in charge of all the gun crews and powder monkeys aswell as their training with the cannons below deck and instructs the deck crews on the swivel guns, he also maintains all the crews black powder weapons.
0-1 Weapons Master (Taken) - Master of the armoury, the weapons master controls the crews weaponry on the ship ensuring that all blades are sharp. A master of battle, he trains the sailors in fighting techniques and combat drills on the deck and keeps them up to date on tactics and manoevers. Acts as a lieutenant in battle, co-ordinating with the captain.
1+ Mate (Weapon Master Aprentice Taken, Gunner Master Taken) - Apprentice to the Ship's Master, Boatswain, Weapons Master, Carpenter or Master Gunner. One per each of the listed Crew Spots.
0-14 Gunner - In charge of one of the ships cannons over seeing a group of 5 powder monkeys loading, aiming and firing the gun as fast as possible.
Power Monkey - Sailors who are part of the cannons gun crew.
0-1 Surgeon (Taken) - Ship's Physician who tends to the injured.
Cook (Taken)- Normal a disabled pirate who is allowed to stay onboard if he can prepare edible food.
Cooper - Barrel Maker.
Musician - Normally Captives who can play music well.
Sailor - The common pirate type, will be proficent in all deck duties, boarding other ships and attacking towns along the coast aswell.
0-2 Hired Mercenary(Taken, Taken) - Someone the captain will have hired to protect his assets, but over time normally becomes as much a part of the crew as the rest.

The Black Ruby
The Black Ruby as she is called is a sloop, that is too say, a small double masted craft, who can carry a huge spread of sail. Very shallow on the draft and very manoeuvrable. She can carry 75 men and has 14 guns crammed into her lower decks. Her forcecastle has been removed creating a far more favourable fighting deck in boarding actions, the rails have been modified to quickly allow a pike and shield wall to be brought up for defence in a boarding action.The lower deck partitions have all been taken out to allow the second deck plently of room for the guns, 6 on either side, of course this meant extras gun holes needed to be made and on the upper decks the gun wales have been modified to carry a number of swivel guns. The armoury is well kept and well stocked with any powder weapon only using pistol powder, this produces far less misfires as the captains father always said.

The Captain
Luca Silvaro had been the scourge of the Sea's for many a years, but that time was over he was done with the sea's he was going to find his x with what few crew wanted to leave. Diego Silvaro gained command of his fathers fleet or what was left of it along with what was left of the Reivers. Though the Rumour had been lost years earlier a loss his father never spoke of to Diego he had heard stories from the crew of what happened. Needless to say now the company was his and though he was rather new to his post all the crew had taken to him as they had to Luca.

Though of course now, with the exception of the few dozen old crew that still remained he would have to recruit a new crew...

Name: Diego Silvaro
Position: Captain of the Reivers.
Height: 6'2"
Equipment: cathayn longsword, daggers, flintlock pistols. This is mearly a sample of what he can carry with him, he has alot of other exotic weapons in his cabin that he normally uses depending on the situation.

Description: Though he does not appear to be a typical pirate he does carry about him an air of confidence. His purple eyes are normally met with some curiosity and can be explained by his birth, but he tends not to disclose this to any but his trusted friends. His long ash blonde hair is worn in dredlocks beneath a black bandana and the typical tri corner hat. He has a distinct silver ring in the middle of his lower lip and a scar running diagonally across his face over the top of his nose.. His typical clothes are more noble than those of the rest of the crew Though normally onboard the ship he wears the same as the rest of his crew with the exception of his hat, this is mainly so that in his eyes the enemy wont go straight for him as the captain.

TheSonOfAbbadon
05-03-2006, 19:40
I'll join this as the Ogre on the grounds that you switch to a more eye-friendly colour.

Xavier
05-03-2006, 19:48
This is my colour, I have always used it, I wont be changing it, a tip though highlight my text it makes it white with a blue background, easier to read. Although pink with a black background is easy enough to read.

TheSonOfAbbadon
05-03-2006, 20:23
Yeah, but that long post of yours nearly blinded me, and now I have a headache.

Lord Setra
05-03-2006, 20:48
The Quarter Master
Raule Sancanto has been firm friends with Diego for over 15 years growing up together, Raule's father was the Quater Master of one of the many ships that made the mad trip to Lusria, fortunatley for Raule his father returned a richer man and after his adventures in Lustria he was attracted to joining Diego 's father as his Quatermaster.

Over time Raule be friended Diego and they have been a team for many years. Raule aiding where he could and ensuring the ship ran, well ship shape. He is a fine Quatermaster who has the intrests of the crew, their captain and the ship always foremost in his mind.

As Quatermaster Raule has a good relationship with the crew. Some would say he was their "spokesman" others would say he was the hard Bastard who dished out the discipline in any time but war. Raule thought of himself as the crews man in the eyes of the captain. His popularity was not all down to his personality, it might also have something to do with his descions on sharing of booty among the crew and the diving up of their portions of grog.

Name: Raule Sancanto
Position: Quatermaster of the Reivers.
Height: 5'11"
Equipment: Cathayn Longsword with a black scabbard, Half Moon Axe, . As Quatermaster he has came across many interesting and wonderful things. There possesions are his, to be used when he feels necessary.

Description: Raule is a pirate through and through. He is bald, all his hair shaved off to prevent lice and such, an annoyance at sea. He wears a plain white cloth shirt and baggy red and black trousers. He wears his sword across his back and where boots when on land but goes bare foot at sea.

Well thats my character.

As the man the crews trust and can confide in and to make this realistic and fun if you PM me with troubles that would normally happen at sea I can then way lay them to the captain

Hope you all enjoy the RPG I know I will

Xavier
05-03-2006, 20:51
Yeah, but that long post of yours nearly blinded me, and now I have a headache.

Too bad, this is one of the easier colours too read, If that truly did "nearly blind you" and "give you a headache" you might want to go to a doctor. In all seriousness.

Darmort
05-03-2006, 21:41
The Character I have in mind doesn't fit any of those roles... don't you have Boarding people or anything? Sailors' just don't quite fit the Norscan Berzerker I have in mind...
Maybe just a hired hand, to handle heavy lifting and being something like the captains' elite bodyguard... obviously *someone* is going to need to be able to speak Norscan, as he can only speak Norscan... mwahahahah :p

Can I have a secondary PC to translate... (something along the lines as a worker or something on the ship, nothing major in armament, just with his own short sword, dagger and pistol with a single shot, or something...)?

Name - Dael Loninart
Age - 40
Class - Ship Mercenary
Race - Human, Norscan Berzerker Warrior

Equipment - Dael bears a massive flamberge (think a two handed swords, then keep twisting it like a tongue of fire), which seems to dwarf most of the weapons that the other crew wield, and is pure black. Dael's secondary weapons include a pair of hatchets, designed for breaking down doors, barrels, splitting skulls, that kind of thing. He also has five very pointy daggers, one in each boot, one tucked in his belt, one hidden in his shaggy mane in a sheath, and the last in a sheath against his chest. Dael's armour includes two rough shoulder plates, each with a sleeve of chainmail hanging down at the elbow. His chest is protected by a hard leather jerkin, and his boots are just below the kneels, and have steel shin guards, toe guards, and metal plating to the right or left hand side, depending on which boot it is.

Appearance - Like most Norscan Berzerkers, Dael has black, shaggy hair, and a beard and mustache that are very dwarf beardling like. Dael's eyes are grey, going red, from living so close to the Chaos Wastes. His body is covered in scars and cuts from his various fights. Dael's face shows no compassion, except for fighting, drinking, and women.

History - Dael was brought up to raid the southern lands of the Empire, and did so for twenty or so years of his life from the age of eight, along with his father and older brother. Both died when he was twenty, but by then he was grissled enough to fend for himself. He never bothered to learn the language of the southmen, but that proved to be a mistake when he killed a wench in a Norscan bar. He was exiled to the southlands, and without any idea of the Imperial Language, or any others, he found that he couldn't get anything without a translator. He eventually joined the Black Ruby's crew in order to gain money, and to work as protection for the ship. No one could understand him then, but he eventually got his message through. It involved a lot of grabbing sacks of flour or other such items and throwing them around until he *was* understood. That was around five weeks ago, in Sartosa. How he got there is anyone's guess. Dael's *agreement* means he gets paid in how much he does on the ship, so he does a bit of everything; firing guns, repairing sails, scrubbing decks, navigating (although this has been very hard for him to do, despite being Norscan, due to his inability to speak a common southerner language), hauling loads of loot and cargo around, and other such things.

I'll just be 'Hired Mercenary'... :p
This is going to be fun... unless someone knows Norscan... ;)

Xavier
05-03-2006, 21:50
The Character I have in mind doesn't fit any of those roles... don't you have Boarding people or anything? Sailors' just don't quite fit the Norscan Berzerker I have in mind...
Maybe just a hired hand, to handle heavy lifting and being something like the captains' elite bodyguard... obviously *someone* is going to need to be able to speak Norscan, as he can only speak Norscan... mwahahahah :p

Can I have a secondary PC to translate... (something along the lines as a worker or something on the ship, nothing major in armament, just with his own short sword, dagger and pistol with a single shot, or something...)?

Ill add in your position to the crew list you can be, as you said a bodyguard for the captain, as for the translator I'd say no, you can just have some fun trying to communicate with gestures and what little lingo you have picked up and naturally the people you are serving close with will understand some of the more obvious words. If thats cool?

*waits for the next character posted to be fluent in norscan*

I would be tempted to add in dictates on languages but too be honest its adding to much work to it, since were all the same crew its assumed we all know Tilean unless stated otherwise.

You are of course all welcome to come up with certain duties your character does in addition to their position, Like the bodyguard mercenary.

Wiseman
06-03-2006, 03:06
well going by the fact that sonofabaddon said he will join if Xavier changes his colour, and Xavier said he wont, so therefore sonofabaddon wont join, i will take the ogre:) if not ill have a dwarf

Hate Train
06-03-2006, 05:45
Right after I posted "I claim Weapons Master" I noticed that next to WM it says "Reserved". And now I'm unsure if you have amazingly fast posting skills, or if it was there before. :| If when you say "Reserved" you mean for someone else, I'll take Surgeon. I just need a confirmation on who exactly it is reserved for.

Me so dumm. :B

Thane McHammer
06-03-2006, 07:44
It's always been there ;). The reserved spots have already been claimed, and yes, weapons master was one of them. For me, actually. Character bio to come...

Xavier
06-03-2006, 11:33
"Last edited by Xavier : 05-03-2006 at 23:02. " but yes, It was reserved for thane :p Since he was the um.. bright spark/annoying idiot/jackass who asked for it..

Thane McHammer
06-03-2006, 12:07
Those be fighting words, matey....I'll get yer, I'll get yer good...

Bwahahaha!

*goes back to plot evil plans and do math*

TheSonOfAbbadon
06-03-2006, 12:42
Too bad, this is one of the easier colours too read, If that truly did "nearly blind you" and "give you a headache" you might want to go to a doctor. In all seriousness.

It's DEEP PINK! Pink is not exactly known for it's easy-to-read qualities, let alone deep pink.

Thane McHammer
06-03-2006, 13:08
I dunno...I find it soothing.

Then again, I'm a Slaaneshi deviant to the nth extreme.

Xavier
06-03-2006, 14:12
It's DEEP PINK! Pink is not exactly known for it's easy-to-read qualities, let alone deep pink.

Ok, other people have expressed an intrest in being the ogre, if you truly dont intend to be in this rpg make that intention clear now and if that is the case stop complaining and posting in here. Ive used this style of writing for almost 4 years on this forum and portent and noone ever complained, so like I said if it is causing you headaches and sore eyes go to the doctor.

Gethalorre
06-03-2006, 17:49
Hey guys!

I'll take 1st Mate, if that's OK?

Name: Roberto Nuiccio
Race: Human, Tilean
Looks: Tanned skin, browny-black hair. Cleanshaven. He is rather thickset but still light on his feet. He has a black and white stripey shirt and red shorts. Two belts cross his chest and another one is around his waist. he looks like a complete swashbuckler! ;)
Background: The son of a Tilean nobleman, he was outlawed at 16 for murdering a love rival. However, he still yearns for adventure and decided on piracy! He has retained skills from his privileged past.
Gear: Two rapiers - he knows how to use them. A duelling pistol is also sheathed at his waist.

How d'you like the cut of his jib?

Xavier
06-03-2006, 18:00
Your characters fine, but can you change his position, I deliberatly left out the First Mate and took the quater master instead;

"First Mate- Some pirate ship crews had this position as the captain's right-hand man and the one who would assume his role if he were killed in battle or could no longer perform his duties. This was often considered the job of a lieutenant in a regular navy, and most pirate crews chose a quartermaster instead of a First Mate."

Sorry.

Tanith Ghost
06-03-2006, 18:04
I'm in, with the dark elf mentioned before if possible.

Merzak the red
Dark elf corsair, theif, and all around sea faring scum
M5 WS4 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I4 A1 Ld7.5

Armor: light chain shirt, buckler sheild, dragonskin cloak
Weapons:serrated sword(hand weapon) three daggers(carried on his belt)
and a repeating crossbow(not always carried with him, ammo limited to 8 bolts, as he has no sure way of obtaining more).

Bio:A dark elf, Merzak's upbringing was already an unsavory one. But when he was grabbed off the streets of his town by an ark crew looking for conscripts, his life took a turn for the worse. He spent three decades just surviving being thrown into battle against the hated high elves. By the time he was 40, he was an acomplished sailor and boarding man. One night, after a bountiful raid on tilea, he killed his seargent, and struck out on his own to make his way in the world, taking his seargent's posessions and money to help him.

Merzak is extremly mercenary. There isn't much he won't do for money, and not much he won't do if he can get away with it. Merzak's lack of qualms
is equaled only by his apathy. He carries no feuds, and only mildly dislikes high elves(they won't hire him).

In this case, he'd act as subordinate to the weapons master.

Xavier
06-03-2006, 18:06
"1+ Mate - Apprentice to the Ship's Master, Boatswain, Weapons Master, Carpenter or Master Gunner. One per each of the listed Crew Spots."

Would be what you are Tanith, If you intend to be the aprentice to the weapon master.

Other than that your ok.

Can you all remember to add a Position: line to your bio and list specifically what you are so that new people signing up will know who's who.

Thane McHammer
06-03-2006, 18:54
Ok, here we go! *cue Mario theme song*

A sharp spray washed up over the bow of the ship as it ploughed though the water. Balanced precariously upon the prow, Gabriel Har'Gareth let the mists blow over him, relishing the cold sting on his skin. One hand wrapped around a rope for balance, the other placed on his waist, and he looked for the entire world like a dashing corsair. Stripped to the waist, he wore a pair of leather breeches, torn and stained from use, and knee-high boots. His arms and chest were corded with muscle, which moved slab-like under his tan skin. In vivid contrast, pink and grey scar tissue crossed his arms and down his back, a testament to his lifestyle. Six earrings hung from his ears, flashing as they caught the dawn's new light.

"Master Gab'rel! Yer wanted below!" came the call from the deck, and without waiting for a response, he jumped from his perch and swung along the lines, before executing a leap and landing on the sodden decking.

He stood facing one of the crewmen, who waited with a small message. Taking it wordlessly, he dismissed the man with a curt nod. Opening it, he scanned it quickly. He grinned to himself, flashing a full smile filled with clean, white teeth. His calloused fingers brushed back sun-kissed hair; a golden mane that was swept up in a neat tail, and tied with a ribbon.

Making his way down the deck, he wound around the other men, greeting them by name as they called out to him. At the cabin entrance, he stopped and splashed himself with water from a barrel. As the ripples settled, he glanced into the water to make sure he was presentable. A strong, handsome face met him. Save for the odd nick, his skin was clear, though he did need a shave, he though ruefully, rubbing his palm across the stubble on his cheek. One grey-green eye stared back at him, and the other, a deep blue. His eyes were queer, to be sure, but they held a quality that captivated people…

Splashing away his reflection, he opened the hatch and ambled down the steep steps. Opening a door, he made a quick salute.

“So, captain”, he started, his voice a deep, rich sound. “What shall we do today?”

Name: Gabriel Har'Gareth
Human, aged 28, Weapons Master.

Armour: In a prepared battle, wears metal studded fighting leathers. When not in combat, he is usually in pantaloons or leathers with boots and a sash.

Weapons: Anything he can lay his hands on. Personal weapons are his scimitars.

Background: Once a lieutenant of the Imperial Navy, he mutineed after watching a Witch Hunter order the slaughter of his crew after discovering a Slaaneshi coven within it. Fleeing, he made his way around the coasts. He is currently wanted in connection to more than three dozen murders, most of them a result of duels. Has taken on the name Har'Gareth after learning of the infamous Executioners that reside in the Dark Elf city.

Anything else needed?

Xavier
06-03-2006, 20:31
Right after I posted "I claim Weapons Master" I noticed that next to WM it says "Reserved". And now I'm unsure if you have amazingly fast posting skills, or if it was there before. :| If when you say "Reserved" you mean for someone else, I'll take Surgeon. I just need a confirmation on who exactly it is reserved for.

Me so dumm. :B

I completly blanked the rest of your post when I read it earlier :(

If a position has reserved next to it, it means someone has expressed an interest in it and I have reserved it while they post their character. In that particular case Thane had explained it too me and I split another proffesion to make room for it and reserved it for him.

Ill reserve the surgeon for you now that I read your whole post.

Bmaxwell
06-03-2006, 20:40
Name: Drake Oloaf
Postion: Master Gunner

Background: (I know nothing about the fansty world sorry but I am willing to praticapate in this RPG)

Drake was born a ship and the sea is all he knows. when in port he prefers to stay on board the ship rather then stay in a room at a local inn.

some consider him to be a bit crazy saying that he has had "to much sea water" but no one doubts his comaptance at the weapons on board the ship and his abilty to find weakness's and corrdinate fireing slavo's

Drake is a tall and lankly man with long flowing black hair which he never has cut in his life he has a braided beard with different trinkets knoted into his hair. he carries a small dagger and is allmost constaly smokeing "herbs" just in case he needs to light a cannon at a moments notice.

Xavier
06-03-2006, 20:45
Thats fine, just descibe your character a bit, like appearance etc.

Your lack of knowledge wont really be that much of a problem most of what we will be doing is at sea or in small ports the equivelant of Port Royal and some pirate ports like Tortuga.

In general fantasy humans can be explained through real world countrys. Cathay is China, Nippon is Japan, Bretonnia is France, Estalia is Spain, Albion is Britain but much more druid/woad dominated, The Empire is generic middle ages renisaunce era human civilisation in britain for the most part.

Powder Monkey aye :p Wouldn't you rather be one of the higher ranked ones, The list I made is just every position people including npcs can be. You are of course welcome to remain one. Im just not sure of how many people will still sign up and had hoped to get the main 0-1 spots filled.

Yin - Yang
06-03-2006, 20:46
I'm a bit busy right now, but I'll have a character up a.s.ap!

YY

Xavier
06-03-2006, 20:49
No rush, I was just letting you know.

Darmort
06-03-2006, 21:09
Xavier - You forgot that Kislev is Russia! :p
And Empire is more like the Austro-Hungarian Empire with a bit of Germany mixed in...
Norsca's Sweden and Denmark... Tilea is Italy... Ind is India Araby is Africa... :p
Just to give you plenty to choose from, eh, Maxy? :p

Xavier
06-03-2006, 21:15
Oh I completly forgot kislev :( *edits* VODKA!!

as for Ind and Araby well I pleed I wanted to down play them since they were a part of my plot ;)

Im not much of an actual History expert, but I do know my fantasy stuff :p Stupid austro hungarians..

Darmort
06-03-2006, 21:36
Im not much of an actual History expert, but I do know my fantasy stuff :p Stupid austro hungarians..
Then you know that a 40-year old Elf is a child? ;)

But seriously, no one's hinted at anything involving Norsca... oh this is going to be funny... and annoying... :evilgrin:
Prepare to be annoyed by someone who speaks Swedish compared to everyone else speaking Spanish! :skull:

Xavier
06-03-2006, 21:44
Then you know that a 40-year old Elf is a child? ;)

Elf years, aprox.. I cant remember exactly are somthing like..

1-60 Child
60-100 Young Adult
100-400 Adult
400+ Old Adult :p

I cant remember exactly the numbers but its somthing like that.

But seriously, no one's hinted at anything involving Norsca... oh this is going to be funny... and annoying... :evilgrin:
Prepare to be annoyed by someone who speaks Swedish compared to everyone else speaking Spanish! :skull:

Yea, I wanted to use advanced language stuff, but to be honest were all pirates, so we arent exactly going to be very learned in languages of the world, unless of course your like a noble or have background of other careers. Thinking along the lines of WFRP. Everyone would have their basic language (Speak Lanage: Reikspel for Empire) and then like a student would know (Speak Langauge: Tilean) etc, where as Elven Envoys know somthing like 4 Languages. But as you see this is getting rather overly detailed. So everyone is assumed to know the same language as everyone else on the ship unless noted otherwise as in your case you frothing norse nutter...

Its hard to strike a perfect balance while still having a cool variety. I could just say we are all from Tilea or Estalia but that would make this far to dull.
Then again if you are all down in Sartosa you will probably know the basic Estalian language etc. See what I mean about it getting complicated?

Nid
06-03-2006, 22:13
Reserved sailing master from Albion. Post to come later.

Bmaxwell
06-03-2006, 22:32
oh I thought Master Gunner was taken.

I claim that one. changeing profile

Xavier
06-03-2006, 23:50
No, you must be thinking of the weapons master

Bmaxwell
06-03-2006, 23:53
Well thane has the weapons master postion and when you posted what was still avabile master gunner was one of them.

Im so lost.

Xavier
07-03-2006, 00:02
Im sorry im not explaining this very well.

There are two weapon orientated master positions.

The weapons master and the gunner master.

The gunner master is responsible for fire arms and the gun deck with all the cannons, the powder room, the cannon drills etc.

The weapon master is responsible for the training of the crew, the drills on deck and the armoury.

Only the weapon master spot is gone, The gunner master is still open which I have now given to you.

I hope thats explained it

Bmaxwell
07-03-2006, 00:36
Thanks I was really confused there.

thanks Xavier

samw
07-03-2006, 00:50
I'll go for the Boatswain then.

Name: Rufus, bastard son of the previous Duke of Bourdeleaux.
Position: Boatswain
Height: 6" 3"
Equiptment: Hand-and-a-half sword, light armour, latest Bretonnian attire, sentimental trinket.

Nowadays Rufus forgoes the heavier armour of his past for a more flamboyant attire. The deep pink scarf he sometimes wears has been known to elicit groans of pain from sensitive crew members ;) . Rufus however still keeps his knightly armour in his cabin, and polishes it religiously every morning before praying. Armed with his trusty Bretonian broadsword, Rufus cuts quite a figure, and many have claimed him too young to be Boatswain of the vessel. However Bretonnian nobles seem to have a genetic predisposition for commanding the dregs of society, one which the Captain quickly identified in Rufus. When the first upstart found himself on his back with a sword point at his throat, the Captain knew he had made the right decision. Rufus runs the ship like a knight would run his feifdom, and is as loyal to his captain as any baron to his king.

Rufus permanently keeps a small trinket in pouch by his side, the only thing he recieved when his father died and his half-brothers inherited the dukedom. A lock of golden hair, wrapped in seaweed. It was housed in a crystal casing. He took it as a sign from his father, and keeps it with him as a perpetual reminder of home.

nikolai7
07-03-2006, 14:36
Name: Gideon "Cannon Balls" Black
Race: Human (Albion)
Equipment: A brace of duelling pistols, a mace, a dagger, his "lucky hat" (a tri corner hat if thats ok?) and hand made explosives.

Appearence: Neat (for a pirate) and clean shaven (for a pirate, he only has a short beard). He wears a black leather coat over his purple and black trousers and knee high boots. He has a white(ish) shirt and a black waistcoat with no buttons.

Personality: He is from the Island of Albion so the rough seas and bad weather dont really phase him too much. He likes nothing more than looting and explosions, probably why he joined a pirate ship at the first oppertunity he got taking nothing but his "lucky" hat. He started off loaded powder into cannons abourd the Dark Ruby, this experience with powder led him to experimentation with making hand made explosives. It also caught the eye (thankfully not literally) of the Master gunner who made him his apprentice.

If thats ok?

Gethalorre
07-03-2006, 16:23
Your characters fine, but can you change his position, I deliberatly left out the First Mate and took the quater master instead;

"First Mate- Some pirate ship crews had this position as the captain's right-hand man and the one who would assume his role if he were killed in battle or could no longer perform his duties. This was often considered the job of a lieutenant in a regular navy, and most pirate crews chose a quartermaster instead of a First Mate."

Sorry

Oh that's fine, I'll go for carpenter then.

Spangley Special
07-03-2006, 16:30
Name: Hans Brook
Position:
Sailor (specialises in working up the Yards/mast also does shifts as look out)

Equipment:
Straight broadsword (owned and made by his father) and a variety of throwing weapons (mainly knives, one throwing axe) all of whitch are attached to his large leather belt

Apperence:
he wears black boots really dark green tousers, a white shirt stained with blood and dirt, when ashore he also wears a brown coat. he has jet black hair that is of medium length and trys to stay clean shaven (often a challenge on board the Black Ruby).

Background:
Born in the empire, he was a blacksmiths son, he was framed/ blamed for his parents murder and was foced to flee, his home. he lived as a drifter for many years until he meet the Back Ruby crew in a bar brawl, and has been a member of the crew since.

Personality:
He is unpredictable, he will be calm and lighthearted one minute but be overly serious and aggressive the next with no warning. he is liked by many of the crew and disliked by just as many. he seems hugely copurageous but in reality this is because he has little reason to fear death.

hope this is ok any problems, then Pm me.

Hate Train
07-03-2006, 17:08
Ill reserve the surgeon for you now that I read your whole post.

Thanks compadre. Expect a post rather soon.

Xavier
07-03-2006, 22:47
Ok im intending to start this tommorow evening, so please post all your characters asap.

If you miss the start dont worry, you can still join up you will just take the roll of a yet unmentioned person on board.

Yin - Yang
07-03-2006, 23:00
Wait for me yarr!

Name: Franz Kalfberg

Nationality: Empire

Appearence: Dull brown hair turning slightly to grey, his eyes are a bright, piercing artic blue. He wears a long, brown coat for protection against the biting winds, and his sword hilt appears slightly from beneath the long folds.

Personaility: Quiet and reserved, Franz is a hard drinking, world weary failure who's seen it all. Cynical, bitter and disillusioned to the very end.

History: You'll have to find that out yourself...Franz avoids the subject.

Weapons: Bastard sword, two pistols.

That ok?

YY

Nid
08-03-2006, 08:22
Xav told me hes starting tomorrow hell or high water, and i wanna be in. Dont wanna miss out.

Qolm Bainsdaugh - Albion steering master.

Appearance: tall, skinny beyond belief, white hair, gold eyes. Armament: twin throwing axes with runes carved on the heads. Will post more. Name speled right.

Thane McHammer
08-03-2006, 08:37
*snigger*

Reading drunk posting is one of those things that makes life worth living.

And I think the boatswain is taken.

Nid
08-03-2006, 08:45
I requested it over msn, he said i had it.

Shuya
08-03-2006, 09:49
Pilmalkin 'Malky' Flatfoot, Halfling Cook (though not a bad shot either)
History: Pilmalkin was once in a band of adventurers, A group of goody two shoes who always frowned upon Malky when he solved his problems with poison or a shot from his bow. He spent most his time in a Halfling run tavern, hunting in the day, drinking with his friends the Halfling and ogre bouncers then sleeping off the drinking contest in the stable bags full of hay, His adventuring days were ended when a bar fight ended when he got knocked through a wall and landed in the street outside. After a long stay in the inn recovering Pilmalkin had a large bill to pay, so he applied for the job of Tavern chef, and when his competition the famed Brettonian chef disappeared suddenly Pilmalkin got the job. His natural Halfling talent for cooking allowed him to keep his new found career.
After a week of solid drinking with an ogre buddy, Malky found himself under employ of the pirate Diego. After he sobered up he decided the lifestyle of a pirate suited him better and made himself at home
Personality: Pilmalkin is said to have a golden tongue and the gift of the gab, its true but usually Pilmalkin uses his powers of persuasion in personal pursuit or general evil. He is also very compulsive and brash not one to sit and wait, he is very suspicious, suspecting a secret cult of skaven or cultists around every corner. He would rather perform deeds for good money then good deeds.
Equipment: Pilmalkin has a Longbow and quiver from his adventuring days, he had claimed he once killed two men with one shot but it has never been repeated. He wears studded leather armour and a pelt from a black bear, when he’s not in the kitchen; He carries a sword and dagger from his belt when raiding towns, Ohh and a pistol he stole from a watchmen he killed back in the day. He wears a cooking pot on his head when fighting, although appearing to function it looks rather ridiculous but he compensates buy claming he stole it from an Elven inn.
Whilst in the kitchen he wears an apron and hat to keep the blood of his clothes.

OOC: A bit longwinded but yaknow hes a halfling whoes kinda evil, a good cook and a good shot, kinda keeps a grudge

Xavier
08-03-2006, 12:18
*snigger*

Reading drunk posting is one of those things that makes life worth living.

And I think the boatswain is taken.

He means sailing master, he just fails at life and is drunk

Yay we got a halfling

Shuya
08-03-2006, 13:16
yay and i get a horde of humans to hide behind, avast and all that. :D

Darmort
08-03-2006, 14:36
yay and i get a horde of humans to hide behind, avast and all that. :D

Be careful, otherwise I may just use you as a flail! Think about that before insulting a 6'6" Norscan Berzerker. ;)

Xavier - W00t! :D
Time for some fun testing out how this Character will work, :p

Xavier
08-03-2006, 15:53
Woot indeed?

Bmaxwell
08-03-2006, 16:20
I think that needs to happen some where in this game.

Halfling flail

but thats just me.

Xavier
08-03-2006, 17:09
Conversion idea for a giant

Thane McHammer
08-03-2006, 17:25
Shall we get going tonight then?

And on a lesser note, I'm 17 today....

Shuya
08-03-2006, 18:44
Gongrats,

On the RP note, Lets get pillaging

Xavier
08-03-2006, 19:21
Ok, the list I have for the starting crew is;

Xavier, Diego Silvaro, Captain of the Reivers.
Lord Setra, Raule Sancanto, Quatermaster of the Reivers.
Darmort, Dael Loninart, Ship Mercenary.
Gethalorre, Roberto Nuiccio, Carpenter.
Thane McHammer, Gabriel Har'Gareth, Weapons Master.
Tanith Ghost, Merzak the red, Weapon Master's Aprentice.
Bmaxwell, Drake Oloaf, Master Gunner.
Samw, Rufus, Boatswain.
Nikolai7, Gideon "Cannon Balls" Black, Master Gunner's Apprentice.
Spangley Special, Hans Brook, Sailor .
Yin - Yang, Franz Kalfberg, Ship Mercenary.
Tyranid05, Qolm Bainsdaugh, Sailing Master.
Shuya, Pilmalkin 'Malky' Flatfoot, Cook
Hate Train, Miguel "Rolls" Scumswell, Surgeon
Slazton, Arhain Thanan, Sailor

I am still expecting a post from Diddimz. You and your stupid ogre :p

Anyone else is still free to join. But the only positions now avaliable are those stated in the first post.

Slazton
09-03-2006, 00:09
Cheers for giving for me a spot Xavier. Should have a character up tomorrow!!!! On this I promise or the blood of infidels shall run freely from the walls of your 4x4 room............................

What role do I have again?

Xavier
09-03-2006, 00:42
You wanted an elf didn't you?

Slazton
09-03-2006, 01:10
Name: Arhain Thanan
Rank: 'Sailor-'Really he is just here for the killing and piligaging somehows blags not doing any work.........
Race: Elf
Class: Disgraced swordmaster aprentice
Weapons: Elven blade and two 'stolen' arm mounted cross bows.
Appearance: Looks like most Elves, but has long black hair and piercing green eyes. Also has a tatoo on his shoulder of a Dragon.
Background: Arhain was once an apprentice to become a swordsmaster and was one of the best pupils within the training grounds. Arhain had an affinity with the sword that most pupils dreamed of, it was as if Arhain could read moves before they happened and always dominated the training fields. Only his Masters could defeat him. However, Arhain had a darkness within him.

Arhain was not well liked by his peers and most saw him as a threat. This begin to cause Arhain much hatred and soon he began to hate his fellow apprentices and even the Masters themselves. More and more abuse was thrown at Arhain by his fellow apprentices and Masters and during a duel with a fellow apprentice, Arhain snapped.

Killing the apprentice in a fury of strikes after being taunted by the oppenent, Arhain was disgraced and sent to his death. Arhain escaped by killing all that stood in his path as he escaped the training grounds and never returned.

After that Arhain took up being a hired sea dog and then a pirate to escape the world and to mainly take what he wanted. He is a cold blooded killer and hates any type of abuse. Quick to anger, Arhain is a loose cannon sometimes.

Arhain is an excellent swordsman and an accurate shot with the crossbows. Arhain is a loner and refuses to do any type of work as he spends most of his time either training or resting somewhere, eager for the next battle.

Hope he's okay....................The elven blade is a just a normal weapon by the way, just saying its Elven gives it +115 hit bonus and a -15 armour save modifier as well..................(This was a joke)

Waiting your response before I post Xavier...........

Hate Train
09-03-2006, 15:32
Miguel "Rolls" Scumswell - Ship Surgeon

The son of a well-known merchant in the pirate-city of Saratosa he lived a fairly easy life thanks to his father's middle-class status. Miguel's hands were bragged about by his father far and wide. Being very dextrous and quite good with his hands, Miguel was trained by various teachers (at the hire of his father) in such arts as suited him. Lockpicking, playing instruments, and the like. Although he learned much, in particular Miguel took the role of Doctor. By the time Miguel was fifteen he was already proficient in most operations as well as quite knowledgable about the local's remedies for their various ailments.
Miguel's father acquired some valuable merchandise, a gleaming ring notable among them that was told to possess malignant powers, particularly by its former owner, just before his death. He was mauled to death by a pack of wolves within the borders of Sylvania. Miguel's father was not so lucky. During the night, there was a great commotion, it was said that a black carriage, drawn by emaciated, white horses swept through the city. The ghastly, black-cloaked driver stopped at Miguel's place of residence. His father's screaming could be heard hours after the coach carried him away. None but Miguel himself saw what had taken his father. He has yet to tell the tale to anyone.
Now, with reputation well deserved he operates on folk's ailments, providing a cure to their woes. Though, rumor has it that he's closing up shop in favor of a sail.

Name: Miguel "Rolls" Scumswell
Race: Human
Appearance: Since his childhood Miguel has put on some weight, earning him his nickname of "Rolls." He's at least as wide as two men, weighs more than 200 pounds. His twin chins are heavy with fat. His brow is set low, and his left eye has a strange bulging quality. His lower jaw protrudes somewhat, giving him a slightly orcish appearance. His sandy-blond hair is thick, and only slightly combed.
Weapons: Great Cleaver (A Meat Cleaveresque weapon. Handle is about 6 inches long, with a diameter of two inches. The blade itself is 4 inches wide, a foot long.)
Equipment: Surgeon's Bag (Contains scalpel and other blades, as well as various herbs and remedies, etc. ect.)

Xavier
09-03-2006, 15:43
Lose the black powder stuff slaz, other than that your ok.

The elven stuff is cool, as elven weapons are ithilmar and since your an ex swordmaster you would have access to their kinds of weapons. The only problem is that elves completly despise black powder and would never use it.

Looks good Hate Train.

Slazton
09-03-2006, 16:21
Yeah but he likes them very very much :(. Oh well, hmm is there anything close to a one handed cross bow? I would like some sort of ranged weaponary.............

One handed cross bows would be cool..........

Thane McHammer
09-03-2006, 16:30
One handed crossbows would fly, I think. Think of a modified repeater crossbow, ripped off of a dead Dark Elf. Should work. Our characters should have a good time :P

- Thane

Xavier
09-03-2006, 16:37
Well, dark elfs have repeater crossbow pistol's say you stole one of those or an empire hand crossbow or thrown knives etc or of course bows etc. Anything that isnt black powder essentially

this is funny, a high elf and dark elf :p

Thane McHammer
09-03-2006, 16:59
And both are seriously angsty...

Invasion of the emo!

- Thane

Tanith Ghost
09-03-2006, 18:02
We'll see. The only time Merzak is ever angsty or an emo is if there's money in it. Does it pay to be an emo? :p

Edit:Thane:given thatm y character is prmarily motivated by greed, we'll have to add a wager to this duel.

Xavier
09-03-2006, 18:35
I think it would be cool if you played up to the high elf/dark elf background of them being sworn enemys and used it. Although you may not be with the Druchii at the moment, you will still have the ingrained hate of the high elfs. By the same token the High elf will still feel the exact same way.

I hate internet explorer.. it has decided to stop showing the forums and they should be.. and wont show images..

So, firefox is the way forward it seems.

Tanith Ghost
09-03-2006, 18:44
Ok, I'll give it a shot. It would be much apreciated, though, if slazton's high elf
sort of goaded me into. Constantly dropping hints that the druchii are nought but cannon fodder for his people, and loosing the long war.

I'll definately give him a sneer or two to encourage his taunting.

I'll send Slaz a PM and see what we can arrange.

Slazton
10-03-2006, 00:28
I get to sneer and make fun of Tanith? Finally the day has come!

Heheh, Arhain hates Dark Elves and well tolerates the fellow pirates and does not kill them, but it does not mean he likes them. In truth, he really doesn't like anyone......more or less despises them in some hypocritcal manner suiting of Elves....

Two arm mounted cross bows would be nice, can I have a mild posion type arrows or will this be something we arrange later on? (Betting on later on)

Xavier
10-03-2006, 15:57
High elves dont use poison :p

*pokes holes in slaz's plan*

Ok, my arms feel like their going to fall out their sockets, so im off to bed :p ill post when I awaken.. in like 50(8) Hours

Oh and slaz, why in gods name is your elf smoking..

Slazton
10-03-2006, 20:45
Because he has class. My Elf is smoking as he is cool and well has grown accustomed to smoking as well, what else is he to do if he doesn't drink?

He has to do something else then :p

Xavier
10-03-2006, 22:48
Thats the point elf's suck :p

K ill let you away with smoking

Tanith Ghost
10-03-2006, 23:54
Slazton, keep in mind i'll be comparing you to a dwarf for smoking.

Of course, Merzak drinks like one, so we're even. Maybe.:chrome:

Slazton
11-03-2006, 00:01
Do not worry Tanith, Arhain will play with words and taunt you that way. Hopefully my own way of taunting in a superior way was amsuing enough.

Alas, don't think of turning Arhain, he may appear dark, but he worships Khaine and Isha, don't expect him to disdain himself. He is an Asur and a tad honour bound....but well, trying to taint him is always fun though..........

Maybe it could happen??

Tanith Ghost
11-03-2006, 00:06
Given that you're no grey knight, and it would satisfy Merzak's itch to stick it to the asur somehow, I most certainly will try.:evilgrin:

Slazton
11-03-2006, 00:08
More like a renegade vetern assault space marine.............So yes it is possiable then is it not?

This is odd, I usually play the 'bad characters' and you the 'light characters,' I am very confused :confused:

Thane McHammer
11-03-2006, 18:33
Alright, girlies.

I'm leaving for Beijing tomorrow. Will be there for a week and a bit, so if you don't hear from me, you'll know I didn't just drop off the map.

- Thane

Xavier
11-03-2006, 20:52
Sorry im a tad behind.. look for the advance sometime over the weekend. Over time is killer. Im also kinda wanting everyone to have posted atleast once

Tanith Ghost
14-03-2006, 06:44
More like a renegade vetern assault space marine.............So yes it is possiable then is it not?

This is odd, I usually play the 'bad characters' and you the 'light characters,' I am very confused :confused:

Welcome to the mirror darkly.:evilgrin: Gather some allies, little asur, for you can be sure I will do so. Make no mistake, there will be a reckoning at the end.:evilgrin: You can only hide behind cowardice and words for so long, little asur.:p

Hate Train
15-03-2006, 02:12
Sorry, my schedule is packed this week. I'll be hardly able to post, having rehearsal for musical theatre every day, plus I'm playing a gig down at the Schnitzer hall on Friday.

Spangley Special
15-03-2006, 09:33
Just so people mainly the GM but most the crew would know... but the majority of the Mob/most gangsters really really hate Hans Brook ie they want him dead, for reasons he will not disclose

Hate Train
21-03-2006, 02:44
Cloud, check my post on page 5.

Hate Train
24-03-2006, 02:18
Not intolerable, but damned inconvenient. Sorry guys, I'm out on this one, I can't wait a week for a reply to my post.

Tanith Ghost
24-03-2006, 05:32
HT, hang around Merzak and you'll get a reply every day.

Xavier
24-03-2006, 17:10
Ok im getting tired of waiting for diddimz so im just going ahead with this.. ill just say the ogre fell over board and cant swim :p

Xavier
26-03-2006, 18:41
Hate Train, my name is Xavier not cloud, hence the reason why I didn't respond to you. I thought you meant someone else.

Like I've said, I am GMing because the times I can post vary alot and I cannot post on the level I would hope players will post, so if you do interact with the captain feel free to control his actions if you are being held up by my lack of activity. As it stands im trying to keep the storyline going with GM posts once or twice a week.

Shuya
27-03-2006, 01:00
I geuss malky isnt going to be boarding anyone. Instead hes going to watch. and fire arrows feutilely across at the other ship. Dont try to stop him :P

Xavier
27-03-2006, 01:04
You can board if you like :p Ill just laugh everytime I think about it.. or maybe you can fall off the boarding plank or the rope your swinging on snaps ;)

Shuya
27-03-2006, 05:44
man i wish the diddmz ogre was their. we could make a halfling-a-pult, just give me a parachute. or pillows. hell ill risk it :D

Xavier
27-03-2006, 16:10
Throw Crew Mate :p

Ill try annoying him again and getting him to post