PDA

View Full Version : Losing level and Call to Glory

Mooseman007
21-08-2010, 21:25
So a level 1 wizard cast Call to Glory which went off, and then miscasts Gateway losing a level and not being a wizard anymore.

Does Call to Glory end, in the book it says only if the caster or unit dies does a remain in play spell end?

Loopstah
21-08-2010, 21:40
Why is he not a wizard anymore?

A wizard with wizard level 0 is still a wizard.

However if he lost spells as well and Call to Glory was one of them then I would say it stops working as how can he keep a spell he doesn't know working.

Godgolden
21-08-2010, 21:45
Why is he not a wizard anymore?

A wizard with wizard level 0 is still a wizard.

However if he lost spells as well and Call to Glory was one of them then I would say it stops working as how can he keep a spell he doesn't know working.

because the rules say so?

he looses the spell but it doesnt dispell the spell in effect, hes maintainng a spell not recasting it every second.

Tykinkuula
21-08-2010, 21:48
A wizard with wizard level 0 is still a wizard

Rules do not know such a thign as a level 0 wizard. Wizards are from level 1 to 4.

Loopstah
21-08-2010, 21:49
Rules do not know such a thign as a level 0 wizard. Wizards are from level 1 to 4.

Nowhere does it state a wizard that loses his levels down to 0 is not a wizard either.

Minsc
21-08-2010, 23:04
Nowhere does it state a wizard that loses his levels down to 0 is not a wizard either.

And nowhere does it state that my Steamtank can't fly, nor that my gnoblars can't explode dealing D6+100 S10 hits to everyone within 24".

We don't really allow that kind of reasoning in WFB do we?

Loopstah
21-08-2010, 23:13
And nowhere does it state that my Steamtank can't fly, nor that my gnoblars can't explode dealing D6+100 S10 hits to everyone within 24".

We don't really allow that kind of reasoning in WFB do we?

That's adding things that aren't there though, which is totally different from removing things that are.

Unless they say a wizard isn't a wizard then they are a wizard, you can't just pretend rules stop working because you think they should unless the rules tell you they do.

There is no rule saying a wizard reduced to level 0 is no longer a wizard so they must still be a wizard as being a wizard is part of their rules.

Gaargod
22-08-2010, 00:41
Models that can cast spells are known collectively as wizards
Page 28.

A model with a wizard level of 0 cannot cast spells under any circumstances. Ergo, he is not a wizard.

However. Remains in Play do not require a wizard!

They come to an end when the target is slain, or else the caster is slain...
Page 36

The poor sorcerer who cast Call to Glory was undoubtably the caster. He is still alive. Therefore he can apparently maintain the power necessary for the spell to remain in play.

Incidentally, why on earth does the OP's lv1 sorcerer apparently cast both gateway and call to glory? Its not impossible, just seems a little odd.

Loopstah
22-08-2010, 10:02
Page 28.

A model with a wizard level of 0 cannot cast spells under any circumstances. Ergo, he is not a wizard.

Why can a wizard with level 0 not cast spells. There is no rule saying this, it's just something you've made up.

A wizard with Loremaster, or an Ogre Butcher that is reduced to level 0 will still know and be able to cast a potential 3-6 spells just without a bonus to cast.

A wizard who knows no spells cannot cast any spells, but being level 0 and not knowing any spells are not necessarily the same thing.

Scalebug
22-08-2010, 15:17
It is pointed out above; p 28, A Wizard has a level of 1 to 4, and in the section above; Models that can cast spells are Wizards.

If you have Lv 0 you do not qualify for being a Wizard, as per this, and in hte same way, if you are not a wizard, you cannot cast spells.

(Now, number of spells he knows may vary up or down, from the start or over the course of a game, it doesn't matter. And other models may be able to cast spells, but if they do, it is clearly spelled out in their specific rules.)

Loopstah
22-08-2010, 15:24
It is pointed out above; p 28, A Wizard has a level of 1 to 4, and in the section above; Models that can cast spells are Wizards.

If you have Lv 0 you do not qualify for being a Wizard, as per this, and in hte same way, if you are not a wizard, you cannot cast spells.

The fact you are level 0 means you are a wizard as you have a wizard level, even if that level is 0.

If the rules said a wizard whose level drops to 0 stops being a wizard then I would agree with you, however they don't.

The rules for miscast allow for level 0. The miscast rules tell you to reduce the wizards level by D3 to a "minimum of 0" this implies level 0 is the lowest wizard level. If it wasn't then they would have added the "and stops being a wizard" clause.

Korraz
22-08-2010, 15:52
0 is not a wizard level.

Loopstah
22-08-2010, 16:09
If 0 is not a valid value for a wizards level then how can a wizards level be reduced to a minimum of 0?

Korraz
22-08-2010, 16:53
Because he then stops being a wizard, as he has lost every single one of his levels. Show me, where a level 0 is determined as a wizard level.

Loopstah
22-08-2010, 17:06
Because he then stops being a wizard, as he has lost every single one of his levels. Show me, where a level 0 is determined as a wizard level.

Show me where it says he stops being a wizard. You would think the fact a wizard was suddenly not a wizard would be something they would mention in the rules especially considering it affects:

a) channeling
b) the ability to dispel
c) casting spells if they still have any (such as a Loremaster or free spells)
d) the ability to use Arcane items

The fact that the minimum wizard level is 0 as shown in the miscast table is where it is determined level 0 is a wizard level.

Korraz
22-08-2010, 17:25
Where in the miscast table is it shown?

xxRavenxx
22-08-2010, 18:08
Does the sphynx not make some mention of needing to have wizard levels to cast the loremaster spells it hands out?

No book here to check wording...

PeG
23-08-2010, 05:40
Whether wizards of lvl 0 can exist in the game of warhammer have been discussed for several pages before without any conclusion. It is also not entirely relevant for the question since the rules clearly states that unless the wizards or unit dies the spell will still be active and clearly he isnt dead.