PDA

View Full Version : 40k vs WH?

Hachiman
21-08-2010, 23:24
What if a small 40k army (who were lost in the warp and taken back in time to the World of Warhammer) faced off against a WH army? Do you think it would be possible to play? Obviously the 40k army would need to be fairly small to allow for technological advantages, this could be explained by a relatively small crew on the lost ship landing in the middle of the Empire (for example) and being faced by a huge force.

DarkReaver
22-08-2010, 13:36
From what I've heard (so could be wrong) from back in the day (years and years ago) GW actually did battles of 40K against Fantasy with 40K almost always winning.

So once it was possible... almost one sided.

Am I even the slightest right?

But in regards to current stuff. It could work but would need an adjustment or the rules since both systems have different rule types.

narrativium
22-08-2010, 14:23
Not sure where the "back in time" idea comes from, as the two universes don't share a common history, just a common warp. And the rules would have to be adjusted; there's no telling how much damage a bolter round is supposed to be capable of doing to (say) a Steam Tank, and no ruling over whether magic powers and psychic powers relate to each other at all.

Your models, your game, but you're going to have to be very creative, as there's nothing official in place.

IJW
22-08-2010, 16:04
"Back in time" as in Rogue Trader and 3rd ed. WFB. Warhammer Siege included rules for Warhammer and 40k, and included some guidelines for crossover games. Whether this was justified as 40k units landing in the Old World or as battles taking place on feral worlds in the 40k universe was the player's decision.

Whether the two universes now share a common history is irrelevant.

Hena
22-08-2010, 18:51
I played such a game early 90s. It was the boxed set era (2nd ed for 40k and 4th for warhammer was it?). Marines vs Chaos and Undead. Marines were restricted to not have tanks and Warhammer armies had three or four times the points I think.

Remeber that we disagree if save mod weapons should affect invulnerable saves by warhammer armies (Nagash being shot by las cannon). Multi-melta with 2" template against mummies rocked (4d4 damage to each mummy and double due to their affinity to fire ... sweet!).

Mannimarco
23-08-2010, 01:48
Crossover games are great fun.

I once played a game based on a Night Lords attack on a medieval world (fits their fluff as well so thats a plus for me).

It was a siege type game where the Night Lords could not take heavy support (didnt fit the theme of a raid).

1500pts of Night Lords vs 2000 pts of Bretonians, it was great fun: Raptors dropping down on the fortress walls, knights butchering marines (we used WHFB armour save modifier rules)

Grimmeth
23-08-2010, 14:53
I'm sure this has come up before...

Anywho, if you're going to do it you'd be best trying to get hold of 2nd ed 40k and 5th ed (I think? Horrible pointy gobbo spears of doom ed) Fantasy, the stats scaled pretty much the same way then. All fantasy troops would skirmish, I believe there were rules for fantasy having twice as many points and all 40k troops gettin +1 to armour saves to represent fantasy weaponry being primitive.
CC would have to use 2nd ed (necromunda) rules, would likely last around 300 years per round.

IJW
23-08-2010, 15:39
RT & 3rd ed WFB, you mean? By 2nd ed 40k & 4th ed Warhammer the stats and rule systems had already diverged quite drastically, especially when it came to close combat.

UberBeast
23-08-2010, 16:07
There was a short story published in one of the fantasy BL books where spacemarines in grey armor came down and stopped a beastman raid on an empire town.

Grimmeth
23-08-2010, 16:24
RT & 3rd ed WFB, you mean? By 2nd ed 40k & 4th ed Warhammer the stats and rule systems had already diverged quite drastically, especially when it came to close combat.

Close Combat was the only real difference though, they were ceretainly a lot more interchangeable than the current systems - I didn't get to play Rogue Trader unfortunately.

I'm sure there were rules for this kind of crossover in the Citadel Journal between 2ed 40k and 4th fantasy...

Bodysnatcher
23-08-2010, 21:21
2nd Ed did have rules for Chaos Warriors in Daemonworld armies - basically stormtroopers.
And lots of primitive weapons in the main weapons book.

AndrewGPaul
24-08-2010, 01:26

Still do-able, though. We once played a big mixed game; Squats, Dwarves, Eldar and High Elves vs Space Marines and fantasy Chaos. If any participant in a close combat was a Fantasy unit, we used the WFB close combat rules. Magic-users used the psychic Power deck as if it were the magic Power deck.

As it turned out, Virus Grenades are rather deadly to formed units of warriors without fully-enclosed armour. :)

Grimmeth
24-08-2010, 11:47
2nd Ed did have rules for Chaos Warriors in Daemonworld armies - basically stormtroopers.
And lots of primitive weapons in the main weapons book.

I do miss that codex, it was absolutely absurd but brilliant all the same.
I liked the way your fantasy Chaos army could be used in 40k (after a fashion, not quite sure how good it would be in combat mind...)