PDA

View Full Version : Breat weapons and challenges

Harwammer
22-08-2010, 12:51
I have a few questions regarding the use of breath weapons in challenges.

For examples I shall assume a dragon mounted lord is fighting an enemy hero in a unit of infantry each time.

Firstly, assuming the dragon gets to attack would he be able to use the breath weapon and if so is it aimed against the hero or the unit he is in?

Secondly, if the lord kills the hero before the dragon gets to attack then would the dragon's breath attack be wasted alongside his regular attacks?

Thanks!

narrativium
22-08-2010, 13:25
First: the hero. He's in a challenge, you can't get the unit.
Second: you can still attack for overkill bonus.

Korraz
22-08-2010, 13:35
Second, AFAIK, no, not any more.

Loopstah
22-08-2010, 14:06
You can only claim overkill from the mount if the opponent is still alive when the mount attacks. If the opponent is dead before the mount gets to attack then it doesn't attack.

Harwammer
22-08-2010, 14:18
First: the hero. He's in a challenge, you can't get the unit. I'm not so sure; breath weapon attacks should be directed at units, rather than specific models. As such I doubt a hero within a unit is a legitimate target. Due to this seems maybe the breath weapon just can't be used against a hero in a unit when challenge locked.

Second: you can still attack for overkill bonus. I think the rules actually work the way Loopsta describes above for overkill. The opportunity to do normal attacks is lost, so is the opportunity to breath weapon lost too? If not would the breath weapon have to be aimed at the unit or the dead hero?

Loopstah
22-08-2010, 15:25
Just don't use the Breath Weapon if the opponent is already dead as you couldn't use it on the unit after the challenge.

theunwantedbeing
22-08-2010, 15:36
Firstly, assuming the dragon gets to attack would he be able to use the breath weapon and if so is it aimed against the hero or the unit he is in?

Breath weapons are done at the same initiutive step as the model with it.
So the dragon can fight and use its breath weapon at the same time.
In a challenge the breath weapon is aimed only at the model involved in the challenge and can only hit that model as well.

Secondly, if the lord kills the hero before the dragon gets to attack then would the dragon's breath attack be wasted alongside his regular attacks?

Yup, as soon as the enemy model is slain in a challenge anything yet to attack within the challenge is unable to attack anything. It's a very harsh rule as the guy after easily killing the enemy champ just sit's there and does nothing and loses massively to combat res unless he had a multiple wound weapon.

Duke_Corwin
23-08-2010, 03:30
Breath weapons are done at the same initiutive step as the model with it.
So the dragon can fight and use its breath weapon at the same time.
In a challenge the breath weapon is aimed only at the model involved in the challenge and can only hit that model as well.

Yup, as soon as the enemy model is slain in a challenge anything yet to attack within the challenge is unable to attack anything. It's a very harsh rule as the guy after easily killing the enemy champ just sit's there and does nothing and loses massively to combat res unless he had a multiple wound weapon.

He still gets all his attacks against the champion as they are all simultaneous.
A multi wound weapon causes one wound against a single wound model.