PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest "sigh" moment in 8th ed?

superawesomeraptorman
22-08-2010, 14:38
I've had quite a few so far - double 1's for rolling power dice, double 1's for charges etc I'm sure everyone has had these moments, its just how the game now works, but it can be nice just to have a big "sigh" about them sometime. Most of my sighs are bad luck, I know mates who are having similar frustrations with changes in the rules, and realisations about major changes to their armies

My most recent one was playing the "reserves" scenario. 2000 point battle and I rolled a 1 for my Battle-standard bearer and my 6 minotaurs

:rolleyes:

"SIGH"

I play beasts (obviously) and was vsing warriors of chaos. I was doing ok, but really really really missed my minotaurs and BSB in the early stages of the game. My minotaurs were slowed by a sorcerer the entire game, and ended up being charged by chaos trolls and warriors, and I really needed that BSB re-roll early in game.

So basically a big "SIGH" for how these new scenarios can punish you really severely if you roll badly

Who else has a big sigh moment! Its always fun to share frustrations!

gaarew
22-08-2010, 14:41
Level 1 Vamp - Master of Black Arts, Talisman of Lycini, Power Scroll, Lore of Death.

1st turn, Flanked my Dwarf army, IF'ed using the Power Scroll (kinda hard not to), killed 39 models straight off the bat, followed by almost another 40 in the following turn, including my Lord and BSB.

*SIGH*

Rockgut
22-08-2010, 14:51
Killing 49 of 50 men in a unit and getting zero points for it.

Djekar
22-08-2010, 15:01
The first charge I made in 8th edition: double 1's against a dwarf gunline. Another turn of pain baby!

Proctorkorps
22-08-2010, 15:14
lol i havn't played 8th yet, due to a dimunutive army
i suppose i should dread it :D

Coyote81
22-08-2010, 15:26
Playing a game against dark elves, my 2 lvl 2's mistcasted twice in the game after casting 4 spells. His 2 lvl 4's mistcasted once in the whole game after casting some 18 spells. He even had a 21 PD turn, sigh.

Stumpy
22-08-2010, 15:32
Charging a unit of 30 slaves with a unit of 17 knights+ BSB. Steadfast on Ld10. I like the concept of steadfast, hate the idiotic situations you get because of how its written.

RanaldLoec
22-08-2010, 15:38
Having three empire engineers for my three great cannons and still rolling a misfire resulting in my cannon blowing up.

jedideinos
22-08-2010, 15:52
Playing against Lizardmen, surveying the wrecked units, and thinking at least I get a draw out of this, only to find I didn't get any points for savaging his big Saurus cavalry (only the standard left), and his 50 strong Saurus unit, down to just champ and standard. SIGH.

Methios
22-08-2010, 16:09
Its my first moment!

SIGH which army to play :)

Azhrar
22-08-2010, 16:09
Freak dice rolls always happens and has nothing to do with 8th edition.

I am really getting tired of all these hate threads. The people writing these must be playing a different game to me. In the end I think it boils down to how you decide to approach the game. If you only look for abuses and freak occurences, then thats just what you find.

I would much rather read about what people like, instead of these hate posts.

Guess it is asking too much of Warseer.

Aflo
22-08-2010, 16:14
The game seems alot more similar to blood bowl in this regard, where double skulls and snakes seem to pop up with alarming frequency only because you're rolling so many dice.

I imagine this tendancy will sperate the good players from the average in the same way a very skilled blood bowl coach minmises the chances of failure (by rolling as few dice as possible) and by having contingency plans for every situation.

TheKingInYellow
22-08-2010, 16:16
One lone marauder left from a unit of 35 getting shot in the back by a skitterleaped engineer in the last turn to go from a draw to a loss.

Macavity
22-08-2010, 16:47
Charging a unit of 30 slaves with a unit of 17 knights+ BSB. Steadfast on Ld10. I like the concept of steadfast, hate the idiotic situations you get because of how its written.

So, I'm confused. The slaves are 5 by 6 (need full ranks for rank bonus). Ld 2 + 5 ranks = Ld 7. Steadfast coming into play means they lost the combat so at least one rank bonus is gone = Ld 6. Did your knights cause negative damage ;) Is that BSB with the slaves (still just a Reroll)? Did neither side cause CAS and Knights just win for charge bonus? Skaven general around? Did you mean Clanrats or Stormvermin?

Steadfast is not unbreakable. There would be some nasty dice for knights not to beat slaves in combat, and there is a reason slaves are becoming 5x10 in many armies.

Leggo1927
22-08-2010, 17:54
I rolled double one three times for charge range with my bone giant, in the six games I have had so far. Two times came in one game, failed movement charge, failed magical charge. Same game my Tomb Guard were about to get flanked so by my opponents Temple Guard via overrun. I said "now for your double one," which he managed. A friend wad also stopping at his parents last week, and in the two games against him, I managed to cast smiting on my catapult first turn, only to watch it blow up first game, and get the cannot shoot next turn result second game. Then it got charged and wiped out, so I cast magic to lose my catapults. But in all fairness they have been moments we laughed at rather than sighed at. Plenty other times, neededibg something to happen at the extreme, the dice have favoured me. That's the nature of the game.

Bassik
22-08-2010, 18:01
One lone marauder left from a unit of 35 getting shot in the back by a skitterleaped engineer in the last turn to go from a draw to a loss.

But that is awesome!

RanaldLoec
22-08-2010, 18:18
Having three empire engineers for my three great cannons and still rolling a misfire resulting in my cannon blowing up.

ewar
22-08-2010, 18:18
Today - Turn 4 of the watchtower scenario, I charged by temple guard at the blackguard in the tower, only 8 left. I miscast a spell, rolled 1 for cupped hands, it killed about 9 temple guard which left only 3 to fight in the combat (they died) and then my opponent rolled a 6 to end the game. After I had literally cleaned the rest of the board away.

*sigh*

WarmbloodedLizard
22-08-2010, 18:20
Announcing that his Wizard will now die, casting dwellers on enemy unit and killing the Lvl4 General and then, in the next turn, proceeding to cast throne with IF on 3 dice, announcing "I will now show you how to fail two 2+ saves in a row", failing the 2+ from throne and the 2+ from cupped hands and killing 10 Temple Guard.

*SIGH*

gdsora
22-08-2010, 18:23
Rolling dawn attack as Tomb Kings

sigh, random deployment screws over that army

Gallock
22-08-2010, 18:23
So, I'm confused. The slaves are 5 by 6 (need full ranks for rank bonus). Ld 2 + 5 ranks = Ld 7. Steadfast coming into play means they lost the combat so at least one rank bonus is gone = Ld 6. Did your knights cause negative damage ;) Is that BSB with the slaves (still just a Reroll)? Did neither side cause CAS and Knights just win for charge bonus? Skaven general around? Did you mean Clanrats or Stormvermin?

Steadfast is not unbreakable. There would be some nasty dice for knights not to beat slaves in combat, and there is a reason slaves are becoming 5x10 in many armies.

General's LD of 7, slaves presumably had +3 rank bonus. So LD10 and steadfast.

MasterSparks
22-08-2010, 18:28
Realizing just how boring it was to actually play with my planned mono-Khorne DoC army. The shift away from the overarching importance and impact of the movement phase have really killed any desire I've had for a purely close combat force.

ChrisIronBrow
22-08-2010, 18:41
Realizing just how boring it was to actually play with my planned mono-Khorne DoC army. The shift away from the overarching importance and impact of the movement phase have really killed any desire I've had for a purely close combat force.

Yeah, that's my issue too... Combat armies are just so boring now... Move forward, roll dice, get lucky-win, get unlucky-lose..

Marshal Torrick
22-08-2010, 23:02
Playing vamps and only having one core choice option that doesn't suck.

Bloody Nunchucks
22-08-2010, 23:55
rolling double 1's for winds of magic three turns in a row when my army was primarely based on magic.

only saving 1 out of 5 wounds on my lord that had a 3+ armour save and a 4+ regen save.

WarmbloodedLizard
23-08-2010, 00:54
Playing vamps and only having one core choice option that doesn't suck.

you really do like whining, don't you? :D (looking at your posts in recent threads)

Skeletons don't suck as much as you think. They don't have the killing power of ghouls but have other advantages. and remember that the awesome dire wolves are also core (even if they don't count): 4-5 units easily shut down all enemy warmachines.

~PrometheuS~
23-08-2010, 01:11
Pretty much all new rules, they killed tactics and dumbed it down, they only catered for new/young players, not old veterens and power gamers

Best dice rolling wins

Few ok new rules, step up etc

Sir_Lunchalot
23-08-2010, 01:15
First magic phase of the game, slann rolls IF for a minor buff spell. Rolls a 1 for cupped hands. Rolls a 4 on the miscast chart. Doesn't get auto-killed, but after the template is resolved there are 4 Temple guard left with him.

My lizardmen army beat my lizardmen army.

dimetri1
23-08-2010, 01:49
Pretty much the whole rulebook is one big "sigh", but as long as there are tournaments I will continue to play. Though the change does have me looking at Warmachine.

Marshal Torrick
23-08-2010, 02:03
I get to express negative opinions, even if you don`t agree.

The words "awesome" and "dire wolves" don`t often find themselves in each others company these days. You are aware that they now:
-have to wheel
-no longer have swift stride
-die faster due to step up
-can`t even flee like their warhound cousins?

I have 10 of the darn things, I WANT them to work, but it ain`t happening.

Skeletons are also nine kids of awful:
-die twice as fast
-fear is basically useless
-can`t be replenished anywhere near as fast as they die

Yes, all is not lost and I`ve won a little more than half of my games, but this does not erase the fact that there are things I don`t like about 8th.

Seth the Dark
23-08-2010, 02:19
The best thing to do is just quit and leave the game to people who enjoy it.

Havock
23-08-2010, 02:21
Killing 49 of 50 men in a unit and getting zero points for it.

I'm allergic to killpoints, ergo, I do not use them.

VP's.

Rockgut
23-08-2010, 02:29

VP's.

Did I say killpoints?

Marshal Torrick
23-08-2010, 02:38
The idea of a nuanced opinion on something must be strange to some folks. Many people have problems with the current system, just look at the title of the thread. That doesn't mean that everyone who finds something they don't like are going to abandon the game en masse.

riotknight
23-08-2010, 03:38

VP's.

VPs are no longer awarded based on half unit/whole unit.

If the whole unit dies, you get full VPs, if there is even 1 soul left in the unit, you get 0

StormCrow
23-08-2010, 03:50
Swordmasters running 16"to charge the flank of my orc block and ripping them apart. Mind you that was more the fault of my night goblins running in a random direction (6 on animosity chart) than anything else. Overall i love the new edition but getting used to these new charge distances will take time

J.P. Biff
23-08-2010, 03:59
Anytime a scrub shoots stonethrowers/mortars etc., scores a direct hit and thinks "I got mad skillz!" (:rolleyes:) after killing a bunch of guys. It really grinds my gears.

itcamefromthedeep
23-08-2010, 04:52
The rulebook once uses "transparent" when it clearly meant "translucent".

T'was disappointing, but not surprising.

Enigmatik1
23-08-2010, 05:06
Yeah, that's my issue too... Combat armies are just so boring now... Move forward, roll dice, get lucky-win, get unlucky-lose..

This is different from all the armies predicated on galaxy busting, Sailor Moon, I spam Purple Sun (or insert any spell that removes tons of models) on enough dice (or with Power Scroll) til I IF/MC or you fail to dispel how exactly? :shifty:

Bloody Nunchucks
23-08-2010, 05:09
i also agree that if i kill 99 guys out of a 100 man unit i should get points, but i guess that adds to the game, its easier to deny your opponent points in the late game simply with avoidance

PeG
23-08-2010, 06:45
Goblins vs WoC. Managed to cast two spells during the entire game, both with IF. Killed a total of 3 enemy warriors, 2 goblin shamans and 20 night goblin archers (17 exploded, 3 ran away). Luckily the other shaman was on his own.

Justice And Rule
23-08-2010, 06:53
Playing a huge, multi-player game. Brents v. Empire. I'm in control of some mounted men-at-arms, while my buddy is controlling the knights. We get into charge range, and I (being the expendable peasant that I am) am tasked with charging the two big detachments of handgunners which are guarding the flanks of the two big parts of the battleline. It won't draw ALL the fire out, but it'll certainly help.

So I roll, I make contact, and I force them to stand-and-fire at me. I get annihilated (they were whittled-down units and he rolled INSANELY well both times), but I've basically cleared the way for the knights to get into contact without taking much fire. Heroic sacrifice, right?

Wrong. He rolls (1,1,2) (1,2,1) and (1, 2, 2) for his charge rolls, coming up short on each of them. Instead of taking the opportune moment to charge his part of the battleline with three lance-formations, he comes up short. After that, he gets torn apart by fire and basically lost the game. We've been calling it "The Blunder", as we imagined the Knights messed up the order to charge, or the Mounted Yeomen charged too early. In the Bretonnian history books, though, it's definitely going down as the latter. ;)

Slowpoke
23-08-2010, 07:02
My 20 orcs with full command and armed with spears got charged by 10 dwarf warriors armed with great weapons and accompanied by a lord on shieldbearers. So I'm thinking that I can't win this fight but at least I can cause some damage to the unit 'cause I get to strike first. So I go on rolling 16 dice and not a single one manages to wound. After that, 11 orcs vaporize and the rest run away.

Not to mention that the dwarf gunline pummeled my entire army and those darn cannons never miss their target or misfire due to the rune of "I get to re-roll every damn dice".

Sigh..

Lord of Divine Slaughter
23-08-2010, 08:37
Pretty much all new rules, they killed tactics and dumbed it down, they only catered for new/young players, not old veterens and power gamers

Best dice rolling wins

Hilarious :D

Dice might win you a game of 8th, but tactics will win 9 out of 10. The tactics just are a bit different.

And what do you mean about not catering to the vets? People who haven't shoved minis around for ages are coming out of hiding to play 8th.

And what do you mean about the neglected 'power gamers'? True power gamers are thrilled about the change. They need to develop new armies and tactics to find ways to break the game, as the recipes aren't readily available on the internet yet. Power gamers step up the challenge and fight instead of whining on the i-net thats for power losers ;)

Bassik
23-08-2010, 08:47

I'm an old veteran and I haven't touched this game in years untill 8th came out. I love 8th!

WarmbloodedLizard
23-08-2010, 10:03
-have to wheel

War Beasts have swiftstride. Wheeling doesn't matter as much when your are M9 and all you want to do is send them after a warmachine. step up doesn't matter for warmachines. they will also never flee and keep the warmachine from shooting until you units are in combat. and with 20 wolves only costing 160pts, they are still very good.
you could even use them as a flaking unit. 15-20 wolves in one unit to break ranks.

Novrain
23-08-2010, 11:49
It's gay just throwing 6 dice waiting to win on my first double six

I didnt realise my dice had a sex life.

Grantt
23-08-2010, 12:15
And what do you mean about not catering to the vets? People who haven't shoved minis around for ages are coming out of hiding to play 8th.

I've not played for years and 8th pulled me back in. Love it.

But it is pretty random. First game I played was a skirmish - 500 points apiece - my Mage spontaneously combusted (miscast) & blew up 26 out of 30 of my sea guard with the first dice roll (to try and cast Drain Magic). The remaining 4 promptly ran home to tell Teclis not to employ that crazy witch ever again. Best line was my opponents;

"That was the first game of warhammer I've ever won without having to do anything."

It's kinda sigh, but we both loved it. Made the game fun.

King_Pash
23-08-2010, 13:27
I didnt realise my dice had a sex life.

EPIC. That's going into my sig :D

To all the whiners/trolls - no one cares that you're not enjoying the game. Either find a way to enjoy it (like 90% of the gaming population) or go play something else (Warmachine, 7th Ed or WHATEVER STOPS YOU MOANING).

Honestly, it's not like they're going to go "Aw sheesh, there's some people here on the Titernet saying our game sucks. We best go change it.." :eyebrows:

Sandals
23-08-2010, 13:36
i actuall y really like 8th, but i'm losing track of the number of charges that I have faild by 1". I don't really mind failing, it's getting soooo close that irritates me!

T10
23-08-2010, 19:06
I get to express negative opinions, even if you don`t agree.

The words "awesome" and "dire wolves" don`t often find themselves in each others company these days. You are aware that they now:
-have to wheel

Dire Wolves may not be Fast Cavalry anymore (as per the FAQ), but as War Beasts they have the Swift Stride rule...

They aren't altogether awesome, though they are that rare kind of unit that has Movement 9...

gork or maybe mork
23-08-2010, 19:25
Three chariots charge a hellpit abomination.

Seventeen impact hits, a good roll!

One wound...saved by regen

Sigh...

Jetty Smurf
23-08-2010, 19:42

I'm confused. How did that lose you (or the other person) the game? No VP's were scored from that, since there was still 1 guy left.

Novrain
23-08-2010, 19:49
EPIC. That's going into my sig

Woop! I think that is the first time that has happened to me :p

I feel special :P

Jericho
23-08-2010, 19:57
Haven't really had many of those, since I haven't lost yet in 8th ;)

The closest thing so far was in the beginning of my first game. Top of turn 1, I enter the first magic phase of the glorious new edition. I can't wait to start spamming spells, knowing that the double 1's that haunt my dreams won't screw up my magic phases anymore. First spell gets double 6's and blows up half my unit of Knights. Note to self: Chaos Lord w/ Book of Secrets joining Knights is a tiny bit dangerous (for both armies).

I had another game later on where I rolled 12PD (first time I had done that). My L4 Tzeentch caster steps up to cast Gateway. No other spellcasters alive at that point. 1-1-2-2. Blood of Tzeentch doesn't help. Lovely ... phase over.

gaarew
23-08-2010, 20:13
Honestly, it's not like they're going to go "Aw sheesh, there's some people here on the Titernet saying our game sucks. We best go change it.." :eyebrows:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we still all play 1st edition WHFB...

:eyebrows:

TheKingInYellow
23-08-2010, 20:28
I'm confused. How did that lose you (or the other person) the game? No VP's were scored from that, since there was still 1 guy left.

No, I had a unit of 35 that was whittled down to one who was fleeing.

On the last turn he had not fled the board completely, the engineer was skitterleaped to within 3" of him, shot and killed the lone marauder, thus earning the VPs for the unit. That was a 209 point unit (give or take) and the final margin was under 300 difference, so the game went from a draw to a loss for me in that one shot.

It was a *great* game, but that moment kind of sucked :D

Jetty Smurf
23-08-2010, 20:33
Oh ok, I understand now. I read it as that unit of 35 got shot down to a single man, who managed to survive.

I can now see what you originally meant though.

Shame about the loss, but good to hear it was a great game! :D

That's what we should all be aiming for (the great game, not the loss :p).

I have had some sigh moments, but also some awesome moments, so I will balance those by not bothering to post in either thread (for now). :D

a18no
23-08-2010, 21:43
You know that the more dice you throw, the closer you'll be to statistic?!

I played against a brettonian player, he tried his first charge with grail knight: 1-1-1.. ouch
Second turn, he try a new charge with the same unit: 6-6-6.

I said: "See, no whinning, you did actually did stats in 2 turns"

His face was priceless!!!

Sardaukar
24-08-2010, 12:23
High Elves vs Warriors of Chaos. Chaos has first turn, Hellcannon fires, direct hit, 14 dead Swordmasters, a lone champion survives...sigh. Turn two, Hellcannon fires, direct hit, 18 dead spearmen, a wizard and the BSB survive, but run off the board...double sigh. I really don't like the combination of a hellcannon and the loss of the partials rule :(

Brother Kite
25-08-2010, 12:05
biggest sigh since i havent played out 8th edition yet because im a new player id say when i read the rule elminating the guesswork on distance for cannons lobbers etc i liked that aspect myself but im sure a bigger sigh will appear probably when my orcs get mutilated

ewar
25-08-2010, 13:00
Has anyone else noticed that all of these "sigh" moments are mirror images of all the "awesome" moments in other thread?

I'm normally a 'cup is half full' kind of guy, but some of these kerrazy events in games brings more sighs than awesomeness. So far anyway! Maybe when I'm dishing and not receiving it'll be more awesome!

Aflo
25-08-2010, 15:01
Has anyone else noticed that all of these "sigh" moments are mirror images of all the "awesome" moments in other thread?

I'm normally a 'cup is half full' kind of guy, but some of these kerrazy events in games brings more sighs than awesomeness. So far anyway! Maybe when I'm dishing and not receiving it'll be more awesome!

Guess it depends on which side of the table you're on ;)

Paraelix
25-08-2010, 15:04
Listening to somebody explain that electing to flee from all charges during the final turn was a viable tactic to prevent your units being destroyed and thus win you a game.

Also, somehow forgetting my opponent had a Steam Tank during Deployment... And subsequently placing a unit within 15" of it and thinking "He won't use 5 Steam Points..." :/

Havock
25-08-2010, 15:15
Listening to somebody explain that electing to flee from all charges during the final turn was a viable tactic to prevent your units being destroyed and thus win you a game.

Extra-lame.

I'd propose something of a 'modified' victory point system myself:
Unit wiped: full points
Unit below half strength and fleeing: full points
Unit below half strength and standing: half points
Unit above half strength and standing: nothing
Unit above half strength and fleeing: half points

would be better than pseudokillpoints.

larabic
25-08-2010, 16:02
My opponents hell cannon misfired on its first shot causing all mages on the board to miscast. My Grey Seer and Warlock were killed taking out a good chunk of the units they were with and the Plague Priest lost his levels. My army was basically destroyed before i got to move a fig. *le sigh*

FirefOol
25-08-2010, 16:06
My opponents hell cannon misfired on its first shot causing all mages on the board to miscast. My Grey Seer and Warlock were killed taking out a good chunk of the units they were with and the Plague Priest lost his levels. My army was basically destroyed before i got to move a fig. *le sigh*

If that had happend to me I would have laughed and asked for a rematch :p

Kadris
25-08-2010, 16:08
my turn started with a unit of clanrats and an engineer caster in a forest which became blood forest (magic cast from or into it makes it do damage to those inside and then move randomly). Well my opponent wound up landing a spell into it with IF (he was orcs so his miscast was a weaker table) and it scattered but the unit i had remained inside it. Then he did it again and it scattered back to its original position. then again (only the first one was IF, the rest i was unable to dispel) and i wound up loosing about 1/2 the unit, but passed the panic test.

i avoid unrolled forests like the plague now.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
25-08-2010, 17:27

This is whineseer after all. Don't go and expect anyone being positive about any form of change ;)

My biggest sigh, was to assassinate a captain on a pegasus with 3 killing blows - only to find out after the game that characters riding anything bigger than a horse has somehow become immune to it :rolleyes:

But beyond that 8th has become waaaaay better than 7th :cheese:

Argent
25-08-2010, 18:33
My Beastman opponent rolls double 2s for Winds of Magic, has two Wizards by his Herdstone, and rolls double 6s for his channel attempts. Awesome.

decker_cky
25-08-2010, 19:57

I'm sorry, but that's an epic moment if I ever saw one. Only thing possibly better would be if the engineer shot himself and it put it from being a draw to being a win in your favour. :evilgrin:

Tae
25-08-2010, 20:20

I had that happen to me in a doubles tournament, only I was the WoC player. So I promptly used Infernal Puppet to remove all the wizards from the opposing army and make our side's sole wizard (mine) take a s6 hit, which he passed his armour save from (hurray Enchanted Shield!).

:D

TheKingInYellow
25-08-2010, 21:08
I'm sorry, but that's an epic moment if I ever saw one. Only thing possibly better would be if the engineer shot himself and it put it from being a draw to being a win in your favour. :evilgrin:

Oh don't get me wrong, it was a great moment, but when I rolled his movement and he didn't make it off the board I was giggling with joy, only to come crashing down in my opponent's turn.

DaemonReign
26-08-2010, 00:46
In my last game against DE my opponent managed to fire off the 25+ Purple Sun hitting every model in a 30+ unit of Plaguebearers with a Palanquin-BSB-Herald.

Two rank and file models survived.

That's what I get for fielding a "nice" list.

tmarichards
26-08-2010, 02:47
I was playing very badly in a tournament last weekend, and charged the last 2 knights and my level 4 on peg into a unit of 5 archers. Wanted to get Doom and Darkness off on some White Lions then Searing Doom them, but didn't have enough dice. So went for PoD straight off with the level 4, rolled a double 6. Gained 4 dice, then rolled a 4 on the miscast table. Lost both the knights and the mage, but only 3 archers died. 750pt swing on my last turn :(

Also, was playing WoC last week and lined up a Purple Sun from the same level 4 down the flank of a Marauder horde, around 40 models including a character or 2. Cast the small version reasoning I'd hit every model still due to their formation, got it off and it wasn't dispelled. Rolled a misfire. Then a 6 for my initiaitive test. Thats was on my first turn. I had to take a moment to stop my lip trembling...

archangelvk
26-08-2010, 06:31
opponent LOVES to use book of hoth with archmage. He uses 6 dice to cast comet of casandora on a 24+. Gets double 6's. Rolls a 7 so he takes a S10 hit but rolls a 1 to wound so takes nothing. NExt turn... SAME THING HAPPENS. F that

McBaine
26-08-2010, 07:55
My "sigh" moment was when both, the Knights of the realm and the peasants wanted to charge an enemy unit, my knights rolled 1-1-2 and the Men at arms 6-6. The knights stumbled forward a bit, not reaching the enemy and the Men at arms crushed in an enemy they couldnt possibly win against. They were just supposed to negate steadfast.
It was not suprising what happened next...
*sigh* i hate random charges.

Nocculum
26-08-2010, 08:03
I managed to roll double 1's for power dice generation, three consecutive turns running.

Less Purple Sun, more 'Delicate Ball of Purple Mist.' :shifty:

rocdocta
26-08-2010, 08:05
Pretty much the whole rulebook is one big "sigh", but as long as there are tournaments I will continue to play. Though the change does have me looking at Warmachine.

+1 on that post

Havock
27-08-2010, 11:13
opponent LOVES to use book of hoth with archmage. He uses 6 dice to cast comet of casandora on a 24+. Gets double 6's. Rolls a 7 so he takes a S10 hit but rolls a 1 to wound so takes nothing. NExt turn... SAME THING HAPPENS. F that

And then, suddenly, a chaos player with the infernal puppet.

Spiney Norman
27-08-2010, 15:05
Rolling dawn attack as Tomb Kings

sigh, random deployment screws over that army

Unfortunately by biggest sigh so far in regards to my TK army was when I finished reading the rule book. Playing a game with them is one long string of sighs.

The thing I've found with 8th Edition is that, generally speaking both players have alternate "sigh" moments and most of the games I've played have been very close and exciting, but universally brutal with both sides losing entire units in one go.

ramongoroth
27-08-2010, 15:37
At the risk of beating a dying horse for me it was a purple sun moment. Well maybe the horse is dead already or perhaps it's been turned into a nightmare by a Vampire (har har).

I play lizardmen. I play a slaan and TG because I like them. I'm forced by the rules to put the two together. That's a lot of eggs in my basket and I don't have any choice if I decide to field them both. Now my first game I play dark elves and he does the power scroll purple sun thing on turn one. I was lucky in that he rolled a 2 on the artillery die. While I didn't get my big unit wiped out the realization that 800ish points of my army could have been decimated with one spell that I couldn't really do much about was my "sigh moment." I know there are things that you can do to try and avoid it. The magic phase is my only real disappointment so far. I like the cap on power dice but the over the top spells are a bit much for me.

Having said that there are a lot of things I do like about the new rules.

Havock
27-08-2010, 16:52
Slightly off topic, but a Slann is still placed in the unit during the 'deploy characters part', right?

You could cheat your way out by boxing in the unit with your own.
Saurus to the left: check
Saurus to the right: check
cheap ass skink cohort to the rear: yessuh!
"Oops, didn't take into account the Slann, awwww, I can't deploy it with the temple guard, well I'll just have to put it here."

Cheaty as hell, and naughty, and worthy of a sigh moment in itself as well as a high likelyhood of getting smacked down for it, but still...
Cheats! :p

Metal_ash
27-08-2010, 18:55
My biggest "SIGH" would be that after now 17 years of Warhammer Fantasy Battles i chose to now put my armys away untill either a major change to the new rules or atleast updated army books.
Why? The reasons be far to many to list really but i can say that the only thing in the new rules i thinks works better then in 7:th edition is the stupidity rule and with that the only rule i really like.
So there for i now chose to stop play wahammer fantasy as i can not find the fun in them new rules. Tactics...nope...pure luck is what wins you the game these days and that suck in my opinion.
Thank the gods GW still have not messed up 40K and i still have that to play at times:)

zantis
28-08-2010, 02:52
My biggest sigh moment (3 parts) (ogres)
1. getting my entire army stuck behind a wide unit of gnoblars. And not being able to reform them due to the 1" rule (my irongut unit was too close to the gnoblars).
2. Having my bsb bruiser, his irongut unit, a huge gnoblar unit and a bull unit all in combat with one chariot (every side except back) do absoltely nothing as they watched the bruiser die in a challenge with the character on the chariot. I just seems ridiculous that nothing else can even go after the chariot, not the character.
3. Having a firey burning hatred for the complete CHEESE that was High Elves in 7th (ASF. it needs to go die in a hole). And then finding out that 8th made them better.... WTF!?!?!?! 7th ed: "Hi I'm a high elf player, and i didnt completely wreck your army due to skill....I won due to a special rule that says I always go first in combat even when you charge." 8th ed: "Hi I'm a high elf player, and i didnt completely wreck your army due to skill....I won due to an initiative value and a special rule that says I always reroll attacks to hit in combat"
High Elves are complete CHEESE!

Proctorkorps
29-08-2010, 02:45
yup. those damn pansy elves.

hacksaaw
29-08-2010, 03:11
Bottom of turn 1, pit of shades on my temple guard, dead slann, and two thirds of the unit goes with him.

nothing i could do against it, nothing different i could have done, nothing.

and in a tournament game, i managed to kill alot of my opponents army and might still have managed with better charge roles for most of my units. but it just makes you shrug, that my opponent was pretty much guaranteed to be in that situation witht the high number of magic dice he rolled combined with Dark Elf magic.

to many times so far in 8th edition where i get that feeling that there is nothing i can do about this or that beyond hope my opponent gets very unlucky.

and playing a smart tactical game, trying to keep my units supporting one another is just getting less and less important. whereas what is important is taking nasty killy killy monsters.

a few things have started to really stick out, the utter idiocy of the change in skirmisher rules, the incredible bad choices for magic spells where it has become a goal to miscast, the over the top impact of thunderstomp in boosting the power of monsters. especially low costed ones like the OP DE Hydra( which was allready over the top in cost performance before the addition of thunderstomp).

Campbell1988
29-08-2010, 03:55
Playing against VC with Dark Elves, my lines are crumbling due to some poor rolling early. I desperately cast spells to try and debuff the Ghouls bout to overrun the repeater units (which held the mages in them) and miscast twice, decimating my units and barely scratching his. But wait! I've got Carstein (his general) alone against a block of spearmen and my BSB! Carstein miscasts and vaporizes most of the block, cuts down the BSB and two spearmen, and overruns the unit. My lines collapse utterly.

*SIGH*

That said, the game that followed that one was just fuuuun.

Tabernacle
31-08-2010, 11:40
Telling someone I was "teaching how to play 8th" that he was making a mistake by charging my 6 Treekin with 3 Pegasus Knights. I lost by 5.

Laton
31-08-2010, 11:51
My hellcannon causing lost control for both my mages. One lost all his power levels, the other blew half of his unit to bits.
Turn one.

PANZERBUNNY
31-08-2010, 16:47
My biggest "SIGH" would be that after now 17 years of Warhammer Fantasy Battles i chose to now put my armys away untill either a major change to the new rules or atleast updated army books.
Why? The reasons be far to many to list really but i can say that the only thing in the new rules i thinks works better then in 7:th edition is the stupidity rule and with that the only rule i really like.
So there for i now chose to stop play wahammer fantasy as i can not find the fun in them new rules. Tactics...nope...pure luck is what wins you the game these days and that suck in my opinion.
Thank the gods GW still have not messed up 40K and i still have that to play at times:)

Since the game comes down to dice, its always been a game of luck with strat added in on a basic level.

No one plays GW games for their in depth, realistic and challenging strats. If they are....they haven't been exposed to many alternatives.

40k was ruined many moons ago and even though I'm someone who hasn't played fantasy for 16 years, I decided to pick it up again and dust off some goblins. I feel that they tried to slide fantasy into the realm of 40k with massive paws of dice being thrown and entire units vanishing before you barely get to use them.

They've decided to make both of their games fast and furious. Speeding them up due to attention spans being that of a butterfly in recent years.

ramongoroth
31-08-2010, 18:50
They've decided to make both of their games fast and furious. Speeding them up due to attention spans being that of a butterfly in recent years.

While I'll agree to GW speeding up their games I'll disagree as to why. I find it more likely that it is to compete with other hobby games that take much less time to play (card games for example). For people with lots of free time it may not be much of an issue. However for people who have things in their life that limits their free time, games that are quick to play are much more attractive than those that take several hours. Gone are the days I can spend an entire Saturday playing things like Battletech, ASL, or any strategic board game that takes 5-6 hours minimum to play. GW games, especially at lower point levels at least gives me the option of getting a quick game in when I have less time.

Having said that I will say I feel they've oversimplified 40k and it is less of a game for it. But that's going a bit OT.