PDA

View Full Version : painting Dol Amroth shields

Chrombar
22-08-2010, 17:47
painting the models is going prety well, only some of the shields isn't realy working.

what I tried so far is just painting the background of the shield with ultramarines blue and drybrushing the swan image with dead white, but the drybrushing isn't rlly working out. would you ppl drybrush it twice and the wash it with blue again to fill up the gaps with blue? or just 2 carefull drybrushes.

Tuscuttar
22-08-2010, 17:55
I don't drybrush, paint the whole thing blue, then paint the emblem normally but carefully

Chrombar
22-08-2010, 18:06
ok cheers, just thought the drybrush would be an easy solution

Tuscuttar
22-08-2010, 20:02
Meh', it can make them look worn, which you sort of don't want (well, I don't anyway)

The Marshel
23-08-2010, 00:57
after you have painted the emblem use watered down ultramarine blue to fix any messes on the blue portion of the shield. watering it down enough should make it easy to keep it off the shield design. It'll take a few coats to fix any mistakes you make while doing the white, but it makes doing those little designs much easier.

Similar method can be used for warriors of minas tirith shields

someone2040
23-08-2010, 08:44
Yeah, drybrushing white I don't think really works.
I paint the blue to it's entirety (so shading, highlight, etc) and then do the white after. You just have to be a bit careful when doing the white, like you would with any fine detail painting.

Tuscuttar
23-08-2010, 10:35
I hate Gondorian shields, there so fiddly

Chrombar
23-08-2010, 18:05
thx for the tips ppl :)

started all over wiith them and they're going prety well now, I agree on the gondor shields btw