PDA

View Full Version : Chaos dwarfs in 8th

Shandowner
22-08-2010, 20:35
I know everyone doesn't like to discuss a army from 2 editions ago.
But; what are your thoughts on the ravening hordes list in 8th edition.

Great weapon dwarfs
lt armor hobgoblins that can fight as well as skaven (and are cheaper..)
Blunderbusses (st5 5 death for infantry)
earthshakers (still awesome and cheap!0
Death rockets
and NOW an expanded Magic item list!

I firmly place them in tier 2, if not tier one.

Thoughts?

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
22-08-2010, 20:51
Chaos dwarfs?...

No seriously Chaos Dwarfs are not in 8th, a shame really. I'm pretty sure GW will release them in the next 2-3 years. I'm sure your friends will let you use the Ravening Hordes list or the GT Tournament one.

Rolo Ramone
22-08-2010, 21:45
Bretonnia also is a 6th edition army, and I enjoy playing with it. I really think that the Ravening Hordes list can make it through 8th pretty well. The addition of new common items and the new lores of magic is good news for you (and your list).

Peril
22-08-2010, 22:01
Also - Sneaky Gits are awesome with all those poison attacks. You can now take 2 Earthshakers AND Bull Centaurs. You can now also take a Great Taurus riding Lord and Sorcerer Lord.

They got a lot better.

jamano
22-08-2010, 22:04
well with GW striking last on the charge now, bull centaurs arent nearly as good for their points

Peril
22-08-2010, 22:09
That's what flanks (and shadow lore) are for. Also, the 10 man minimum on Hobgoblin Wolf Riders isn't a big deal anymore since you can fight/shoot in two ranks. Fast Cavalry get rank bonus again as well, so you can have the 4+ armor save unit that gets a vanguard move!

SamVimes
22-08-2010, 23:29
Chaos dwarfs?...

No seriously Chaos Dwarfs are not in 8th, a shame really. I'm pretty sure GW will release them in the next 2-3 years. I'm sure your friends will let you use the Ravening Hordes list or the GT Tournament one.

Where do you get this idea that they are not in 8th from?:confused:

They have never been invalidated, and there has already been correspondence from GW saying that they are allowed...so you're issue is?

dimetri1
23-08-2010, 02:06
I have never found an official Chaos Dwarf publication/pdf. Where can I find it?

Col. Dash
23-08-2010, 02:14
Chaos dwarfs online if the forum for the CD. There is a link in the information section.
Blunderbuss units are a must. Light cavalry with shields, bows, and light armor is pretty sweet. Its a solid, decently well balanced force, in need of an update but the new edition helped since we now have magic item lists. Its a conversion heavy force as they never made great weapon chaos dwarves, also expensive to buy an armor. Quite a bit of it is usually available on ebay. Lammasu are almost useless, dont waste your time or money on one.

thefan
23-08-2010, 04:26
They were the 2nd army I played back in the fourth edition. They could allie with my Orcs & Goblins. After collecting enough allies I found I had enough for an army. I would love to see GW bring them back officially with new figs. I'm hearing something about Forgeworld doing them. Anyone else hearing this???

Alric
23-08-2010, 07:04
Where do you get this idea that they are not in 8th from?:confused:

They have never been invalidated, and there has already been correspondence from GW saying that they are allowed...so you're issue is?
I think GW deliberately left them out of the reference section of 8th because they are working on re-releasing them with changes and didnt want any rules that might restrict them to the previous characteristic profiles.

I have never found an official Chaos Dwarf publication/pdf. Where can I find it?
Ebay for the original book , Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs (http://www.alamogt.com/pdf/chaos-dwarfs.pdf) , for the RH pdf list.

Its a conversion heavy force as they never made great weapon chaos dwarves, also expensive to buy an armor.

Eh ? Most of the original GW CD warriors have great weapons.

They were the 2nd army I played back in the fourth edition. They could allie with my Orcs & Goblins. After collecting enough allies I found I had enough for an army. I would love to see GW bring them back officially with new figs. I'm hearing something about Forgeworld doing them. Anyone else hearing this???

LOL , Same here but with Chaos instead of O&G.

SamVimes
23-08-2010, 07:15
I think GW deliberately left them out of the reference section of 8th because they are working on re-releasing them with changes and didnt want any rules that might restrict them to the previous characteristic profiles.

I'm pretty sure GW is not shy about over-ruling the stat-lines given at the back of the book with army-book updates. ;)

Brother Siccarius
23-08-2010, 07:38
GW never states that previous armies that aren't supported anymore aren't viable, so the assumption that because they never said it that they are still in 8th isn't entirely true.
They're as much in 8th edition as Firmir, old Slaan armies, Albion characters, and Dogs of War. Take from that what you will.

There was heavy rumoring about Forgeworld's Fantasy Division doing Chaos Dwarfs. As any developments around when or if that division is going to get off the ground has stopped, so have the rumors.

decker_cky
23-08-2010, 07:51
They have a 6th edition list which is no less legal than ogre kingdoms, tomb kings, wood elfs, dwarfs, bretonnia and dogs of war.

Alric
23-08-2010, 07:53
I'm pretty sure GW is not shy about over-ruling the stat-lines given at the back of the book with army-book updates. ;)
Regardless of any cynicism GW does try avoid conflicting rules if possible.

There was heavy rumoring about Forgeworld's Fantasy Division doing Chaos Dwarfs. As any developments around when or if that division is going to get off the ground has stopped, so have the rumors.
I think you'll see those will be for the WoC armies, sry :skull:

~PrometheuS~
23-08-2010, 08:04
Chaos Dwarfs arent in 8th and i doubt they will ever be, pretty sure there KIA

macmusic22
23-08-2010, 09:49
Yeh CD's are dead man...the project has been given to ForgeWorld I'm pretty sure...in related news so are Dogs of War...

Brother Siccarius
23-08-2010, 10:23
They have a 6th edition list which is no less legal than ogre kingdoms, tomb kings, wood elfs, dwarfs, bretonnia and dogs of war.

They have a proto-6th ed RH list that is no longer even available from GW.

However they have not been killed off, and are still present in the background of 7th ed army books and the 8th ed Warhammer Rulebook.

FirefOol
23-08-2010, 12:41
Whoop! I found my brothers old Ravening Hordes. I am planning to begin a Chaos Dwarfs army, I already collect a Dwarf force but I have always wanted a chaos army.
So how are Chaos dwarfs on the table? Alot like dwarfs or are they very diffrent?

Vashta
23-08-2010, 13:02
GW never states t
They're as much in 8th edition as Firmir, old Slaan armies, Albion characters, and Dogs of War. Take from that what you will.

I would love to field my old Slann army!

Col. Dash
23-08-2010, 13:33
They are still a touney legal force. Just because they havent had a new book lately doesnt make them killed off. The DE have had a more distantly replaced set of rules than the CD and they are still legal(and getting a new book).

I have a game versus skaven this coming weekend with mine.

@Alric - ok yeah you can consider the standard plastic CD as a great weapon or a axe and shield I guess, but I think primarily its supposed to be axe and shield due to the shield stub on the arm.