PDA

View Full Version : Good Lizardmen Idea or Not?

CoolKidRoc
22-08-2010, 20:41
So I'm just getting into Fantasy with the new edition, and after playing 40k for the past 10 years I've not yet had a fully converted army, and since I'm starting a Fantasy Army I thought it'd be time to finally have something that was fully converted.

Before making my through the entire codex and fluff, I was thinking that would be really cool to have say jungle men, think Mayan or Aztecs wearing lizard skins being led by a Slann and riding the jungle beasts. The Saurus would be full sized men, and the skinks would be pygmies.

Then I read on some more, and found a reference of Lord Chuqa-xi from the City of the Moon (pg29 Lizdex) actually lobotomizing invaders and using them and using them in his army.

Then on pg42 Lord Ulha'up has actually left the Lizardmen Kingdom to spread the word of the Old Ones. I was thinking that it would be neat to have say followers from the different kingdoms (empire, dwarf, elves) wearing lizard suits following him around and being his army. Note it's referenced that Lord Ulha'up had gone quite mad.

So what do you guys think, would and army of converted men wearing Lizard Armor (Skulls and backs) work or am I just out of my mind?

Sir_Lunchalot
22-08-2010, 20:54
It sounds like a cool idea. although it might be cooler to use halflings as skinks, as I'm not certain if pygmies exist in the Warhammer World. Also, for Saurus you'll want to use large humans, say marauders. If you look at a saurus warrior it's actually significantly bigger than a normal human or an elf.

Leogun_91
22-08-2010, 21:00
Pygmies does exist, and so does Amazons so make a unit of these too.....marauders work well for the base people though you want to make them as un-chaosy as possible.

I find Chuqa-xi to be the cooler one of the two leaders but as both are fluffy just go with either, it's harder to justify lobotomized wizards though so you might not get any skinkpriests.

Sir_Lunchalot
22-08-2010, 21:09
Here's an idea for skink priests. I've actually got the models and the one standing up fits rather well on a 20mm square base.

http://www.strange-aeons.ca/img/mini/SA-004.jpg

mrtn
22-08-2010, 21:14
Pygmies does exist
They did exist until GW realised that their view of them was terribly racist and they haven't been mentioned since.

WarmbloodedLizard
22-08-2010, 21:19
awesome. IF you have the endurance to convert a whole army of junglemen. ^^

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-08-2010, 21:20
Doesn't really matter if the OP wants to use something like them for skinks. I'd stay away from the lizard skins though, it's going to be very difficult to make look good. Just have them be jungle indians either lead by a Slann or just inspired by lizardman culture and emulating them as best they can.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
22-08-2010, 21:28
Doesn't really matter if the OP wants to use something like them for skinks. I'd stay away from the lizard skins though, it's going to be very difficult to make look good. Just have them be jungle indians either lead by a Slann or just inspired by lizardman culture and emulating them as best they can.

Yeah I'd say this. Maybe a bit of lizard details on the shields and banners, but doing lizard skins might not turn out so well. Nice idea though, go for it.

Nixon

CoolKidRoc
22-08-2010, 21:32

Was Kind of thinking of something like my Avatar ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HhUjJ73jZso/SLMXVFEWL5I/AAAAAAAAGMI/7JNojLqEKU4/s400/Lizard+Suit2.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HhUjJ73jZso/SLMXVXfKfOI/AAAAAAAAGMQ/LXJASwG7EE4/s400/Lizard+Suit3.jpg

Shadow_Steed
22-08-2010, 21:41
Go for it man! I would love to play against such a one of a kind army. It will be nice to have something unique!

SamVimes
22-08-2010, 22:34
Just use a bitz service of ebay to get a bunch of black ark corsair cloaks.

CoolKidRoc
23-08-2010, 12:13
So does anyone know of any good pygmy or halfling models?

Vashta
23-08-2010, 13:04
For those of you to young to remember...

http://www.solegends.com/citc/c32slann.htm

fer
23-08-2010, 13:51
given the size of the saurus you could use the WoC models for them and then normal empire humans as the skinks :)

some of the WoC models come with heavy cloaks already so you could just convert those and all the headgear

great idea!

neat idea for skaven slave units as well :P

CoolKidRoc
24-08-2010, 00:39

Holy Crap... those models are ancient, and yeah you're right, to young to remember those, I was only 4 at the time lol, still cool stuff, seems Lizards have come a long way since then.

Looks like not to many people mind the idea, so once I get my order in I might start trying some tests and let people see what I come up with :)

Ramius4
24-08-2010, 00:47

Funny... I have a bag of all of those old saurus sitting on my desk right now:p

Proctorkorps
24-08-2010, 03:05
Lol that cat looks pissed!

I like the idea of maya/aztec-style human army. but only if you give a few of them leopard skins! :D

Feefait
24-08-2010, 03:59
Saurus never actually existed in the Warhammer mythos until 4th edition i think it was - the box set with the brettonians. Before that it was just a rumor a Lizardman army was coming out. The mdoel are from the old school, and were all Slann. The only actual army list was in the Warhammer Armies supplement, that contained all the other army lists.

In Armies There were Slann of different clans. Jaguar Slann had an extra attack, eagle Slann Clan had higher initiative, etc. There were 4 or 5 but I don't remember them all exactly or accurately. The army was filled out by lobotomized human slaves and pygmies - who used blowpipes. A couple units in the army had blowpipes actually. I remember a game against empire way back and their was a river. i ended up moving half my army in there and just shooting blowpipes at the knights.

So there is definitely a precedence for what you are going to try here. I'd say go for it and have fun. I saw a LM army this weekend using some sort of standing rubber frogs, a weird toad statue as a slann and giant butterflies as terradons. It was awesome.

N810
24-08-2010, 04:32
How about these guys.. ;)
http://www.crocodilegames.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?prodID=298&catID=26

Pacorko
24-08-2010, 04:46
Aztecs (Mexica, actualy) did not live in the jungle, but in a city the middle of an enormous lake inside a very wide valley. The other "Mexican" native culture that indeed lived in the jungle were the Olmecs (who did those huge rock heads), and whose name actually means "[the] Jaguar People"... lots of opportunities for conversion, me think, with lizzies dressed up with jaguar pelts.

Which would be a little less genocidal... from the Lizardmen's perspective, at least. I mean having a buncha nutters dressed in lizard skins lead by a nuttier Slann just strikes me as... unSlannish? Anti-lizardian? Not-Old On...

Weird. Let's leave it at weird and against the Slanns' nature.

But other than that, I'd say that what you have in mind is a pretty nifty idea, yes. Whatever route you take, do take lotsa pics! ;)

CoolKidRoc
24-08-2010, 13:32
How about these guys.. ;)
http://www.crocodilegames.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?prodID=298&catID=26

Wow, those are some really cool models. And yeah, kind of the idea I was going for. The egyptian models seem to have the right amount of clothing and like I'm going after, do you know of any other sites with a wider range of actual human models :)

Pacorko
24-08-2010, 21:10
Almost all historical miniature manufacturers' websites have ancients that you could easily use for your conversions.

Top of my head, there's Old Glory, Foundry, Bear's Den, The Assault Group... I just can't remember who did the New Kingdom Egyptian that was sculpted by Markk Sim and available from Crusader minis a while a go. There's Conquest Miniatures with their improbable armies line of pygmy zombies, too!

CoolKidRoc
25-08-2010, 14:16
Almost all historical miniature manufacturers' websites have ancients that you could easily use for your conversions.

Top of my head, there's Old Glory, Foundry, Bear's Den, The Assault Group... I just can't remember who did the New Kingdom Egyptian that was sculpted by Markk Sim and available from Crusader minis a while a go. There's Conquest Miniatures with their improbable armies line of pygmy zombies, too!

Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking at Conquests stuff, and saw maybe some Ancient Germans that would work, I might just try having a go with some Green Stuff and see what I can do lol.

SamVimes
25-08-2010, 16:14
You could always get some Wargames factory Zulus for the basis of your conversions. They are rather inexpensive and look a lot like that Egyptian dude with croc headdress.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/wargames-factory-store/zulu-warriors

Tymell
25-08-2010, 16:19
Sounds like a good idea to me, nice theme :) As others have said, actual lizard-suits would be difficult and perhaps a little odd within the style, but certainly non-Lizardmen converts to the Slann/Lustria sounds brill :D

N810
25-08-2010, 16:25
http://www.shop.evilbobs.biz/Unpainted-25-28mm-Figures_c37.htm

Check it out 28mm Aztecs. :)

CoolKidRoc
25-08-2010, 17:30
You could always get some Wargames factory Zulus for the basis of your conversions. They are rather inexpensive and look a lot like that Egyptian dude with croc headdress.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/wargames-factory-store/zulu-warriors

Hey thanks, I'd seen those before, but the painted guy had turned me off. But I went and looked at the sprue, and they don't seem that bad at all, and they're Plastic!!! That'll make them so easy to work with, thinking about ordering some right now hehe...

Got any good ideas for pymies?

Sounds like a good idea to me, nice theme :) As others have said, actual lizard-suits would be difficult and perhaps a little odd within the style, but certainly non-Lizardmen converts to the Slann/Lustria sounds brill :D

Yeah, don't think lizard suits, but Lizard head dress and skin covering jungle men backs. Suits would be way way to hard to do, but you get a skinned lizard, one who has maybe fallen in battle, and boom you've got 5+ scaly skin armor lol.

http://www.shop.evilbobs.biz/Unpainted-25-28mm-Figures_c37.htm

Check it out 28mm Aztecs. :)

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't think they will work with what I'm trying to do.

N810
25-08-2010, 18:46
Well there is also a bunch of Aztec buildings on that site too.

CoolKidRoc
22-09-2010, 19:19
Hey guys, got a proof of concept model up. Let me know what you guys think.

http://thewraithgate.blogspot.com/2010/09/lizardmen-saurus-proof-of-concept.html

Sir_Lunchalot
22-09-2010, 19:28
If you want to make them scaly capes your best bet would probably be putty. You'll need to work in multiple steps, first sculpt the shape of the cape, and let it set completely overnight. Then go back and smooth out the cape , giving it it's final shape and smoothness. Again, let it set overnight, then go and do the scales, which is basically squashing tiny balls of putty into circles.

Gooner
22-09-2010, 20:21
If I was you and I was wanting to do something like this I would use marauders as your basic saurus warrior and do exactly what you have done already and maybe add some cloacks to the cammand.

I also agree that useing all lizard skins would not work if you plan on having a slann lead your army. But when you decide to do an all converted list you can just say that this is a race of humans that live in the jungle and compete with the lizardmen. So a slann would be some other type of human wizard say riding in a palaquine or somthing to take up the same space as a slann.

I dont think the army would look too good with pygmes but these models you have already would work good for skinks as they aremuch skinnier then marauders, jsut give them the equipment you want.

For kroxigors you could use ogres as humans and ogres get along well enough.

For salamanders and the other one ( spine guys?) just use the same models with converted crew, as if they are living in the jungle and fighting lizardmen they would probably adopt a similar style of fighting and capturing animals.

With that said I can see every type of beast in the lizardmen book justified that way.

For combat lords just make a model wearing armour of some sort , as scar vets etc are aloud to take armour.

Temple guard can be modeled as more heavily armoured humans with different weapons.

I think you have to do this army right to really get the point across.

Good luck!