PDA

View Full Version : 40k troop special skills

Mortarion74
22-08-2010, 23:28
One of the truly good changes to the new ed. was the special skills, and their addition to the campaign setting. So troops arnt just what you buy but gain character through the life of the unit.

I have some gretchen which truly illustrate this I think.

The gretchen were standard gretchen and found themselves under attack from a tyranid warrior brood, having no chance of surviving the shot away and by very good rolling they actually wiped them out. To congratulate them we gave them marksman skill.

Next game they were under attack from a tyranid brood and rolled very well in combat killing 8 of the 12 strong brood while losing only 2 of their own. Again good rolling, and gained prefered enemy [nids]. the boss also pulled a few teef and gave them some frag grenades.

Game after found them facing the imperial guard, and were attacked by a chimera, they rolled tank shock and a brave little grot immobalised the APC. After that we gave them Tank Shock, despite losing to the guard infantry.

I now have them as a troop choise in my ork army, 'Kobold Gretchen' and over the past year despite a few setbacks they have gained Infiltrate and Counter attack as well as Tank Hunters. It shows how well it can work and add character to your games.

Does anyone else have any experience on campaign with the skills.

Splata
23-08-2010, 02:36
I don't but I have a few questsions

Have you made them worth more points to go with their increased skills?

What do you do in the following game when they get all wiped out?

How exactly did a gretchin immobilise a chimera on a tank shock maneuver? :shifty: my gretchin has a lascannon...

Axis
23-08-2010, 04:59
I did play one campaign relatively recently. It was all going well enough until my opponents nobz and other shock units all managed to roll preferred enemy. I was promptly destroyed in each subsequent game.

Axis
23-08-2010, 05:00

How exactly did a gretchin immobilise a chimera on a tank shock maneuver? :shifty: my gretchin has a lascannon...

I take it he immobilised it with the aforementioned frag grenades.

Raven1
23-08-2010, 20:13
I personally have never done a campaign. I have always just done pick up games on saturday afternoons or what have you. I have always wanted to try them however. I think it could be good fun.

Mortarion74
24-08-2010, 20:16

The points go up yes, depending on the size of the unit, and if they get wiped out the are gone forever, but if they survive a campaign they can be listed in a sort of sub codex.

we almost always play in campaign mode in 40k, simply as it makes sure everyone gets a play with what armies they have, a bit like a tournament. We usually play with a number of worlds in a tiny subsector of the galaxy, at the moment we are in the noanic sector of the eastern fringe. [homage to azimov].

the chimera as the little guy rolled so well when the tank charged them we let him use a frag grenade, 4+D6, immoblising the tank on a glancing hit of 10.

Mortarion74
24-08-2010, 20:30
[QUOTE] It was all going well enough until my opponents nobz and other shock units all managed to roll preferred enemy.[QUOTE]

I should think that Tyranids should have preferred enemy automatically, as they isnt anything they havent eaten yet, but it can be a powerfull skill, but also a useless one for some troops.

Lamoron
24-08-2010, 21:35
Well, in our campaigns we had some nice experiences with veteran skills, but also some truly horrible ones (the fleeting flanking melee carnifex for one). I quite like the idea, but a lot of the upgrades are way to powerfull or totally useless, depending on the unit in question.

feno12
24-08-2010, 21:57
Hive Tyrant with fleet, goodbye wings!

Mortarion74
25-08-2010, 00:12
true true, but in reality a green company with no skills hitting the beach in anzio would finally stumble into austria 10 months later as a very skilled tough combat platoon [note the platoon], and have alot of skills. Ok maybe not deomon hunter, but certainly the big ones!