PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing my first army

angrySCORCH62
23-08-2010, 00:46
Well, I have know about the 40K universe for quite some time, at least 4 years proabably more, around the time Fire Warrior was still easy to come by.
I have tried starting many times, but alas I have never stuck to it, when I was younger I lacked the funds, I still do among other obsticles, but i'm heading of to Uni this year, and I'm hoping that when I get a job their I will eventually have enough money to start the hobby proper.

Anyhow the Two Armies I'm considering are the Tau Empire and The Chaos Space Marines, The Tau Empire was the first army I wanted to collect years ago, but recently I have grown found of the Traitor Legions, so I'm basically looking for advise about my selection.

I am also thinkg about Imperial Guard

I alread have the Chaos Codex so I have a few army lists for it, but I can't find any of my Old Tau ones so I may have to buy a new one for army lists.

Thanks

bigcheese76
23-08-2010, 00:58
Well, we cant decide an army for you, only show you how we might go about choosing one and posing a few questions for you to think about, because after all, its going to be your army, not ours.
1. How do you want your army to play? If you want a combat type army, then you are going to be favouring the Chaos Marines. If you want to shoot the opponent to Terra and forget there is a combat phase (kinda how my guard play too) then its Tau you may want.

2. Painting. How good are you? What sort of colours do you like painting? Do you really like cohesion? Do you want to paint different units different colours?
How good you are wont really affect your army choice. If you are just starting painting, be prepared to see quite a few slightly dodgy minatures to begin with, but I promise it will improve. Do you like earthy sort of colours as they seem to be more favoured by the Tau. Although, its your army, so you can paint it whatever colour you want. If you like cohesive painting, it can be acheived with a Chaos Marine army but I reckon will look better and have a better effect on a Tau army. With the four chaos gods, if you have units from each god, then that is four main colours to be painting, which while a bit more challenging can look wonderful on the battle field and also widens your painting experience.

3. How many models do you want to paint?
Generally speaking, if you pick Chaos Marines you will paint less models than in the same sized force of Tau, so if you want fewer models to paint, pick chaos.

4. Fluff. Read some fluff. Read alot of fluff. In my opinion, those really fluff orientated armies can be the best and usually alot of time and effort is invested in each minature as each one may tell a story. I have read alot of Tau fluff recently and I love it. But almost equally I like Chaos fluff as there is just so much of it!

Anyway. I think I have covered some major points and I hope I have helped, not confused you even more!

Mage
23-08-2010, 00:59
Well, there are a lot of arguments for and against. Tau have been waiting longer for an update, the horus heresy novels, if you can get your hands on one, may inspire you to do a traitor legion army.

Which do you prefer the most for each army: the background & models.

Tau are a mostly static shoot army, while Chaos have nicer variety, not to mention the new plastic daemon prince kit that is now out.

angrySCORCH62
23-08-2010, 01:16
Thanks guys, looks like I have some thinking to do

Mage
23-08-2010, 01:19
To quote the Simpsons: I'm sure he meant drinking.

angrySCORCH62
23-08-2010, 01:25
To quote the Simpsons: I'm sure he meant drinking.

lol it would make thinking easier or maybe that's simpler.

Anyhow one of the main tactics i've read about the Tau is that they just sit back at the end of the table and shoot, that doesn't sound like allot of fun to me so i'm thinking more about Guard or Chaos.

thomasfisher7
23-08-2010, 01:35
If u want to be a beast and blow up the enemy with rail guns before they even get to you in combat pick Tau, however if you want an army that destroys almost everyone else in close combat pick Chaos. You picked to armies that are polar opposites of each other so it's a pretty pick choice. Have fun!

Warmaster Bill
23-08-2010, 03:01
Remember that Chaos is a fairly balanced force, albeit a little more focused on cc, but still no slouch when it comes to shooting. With Tau you have a pretty good chance of taking out the enemy from far away, but when they get in close you'll probably be slaughtered by any balanced or cc based armies.

tentfox
23-08-2010, 06:21
Tau are fairly mobile. Not moving at all tends to get you mowed down by combat army's which can move across the board very fast. To go well with Tau you need to make use of movement.

My complaints with the Tau would be that they have a lot of weak choices in the army book making their lists typically less diverse. Also their special characters are sub par. Additionally they have no psykers or defense to psykers, if that is your thing.

Cannot comment CSM, but I think they play fairly similar to Marines.

Drakon
23-08-2010, 06:45
personally if the funds arent as easy coming and you want a starter I would recommend the Chaos Marines

A: you already have the book
B: cheaper to get up and running

Once your funds are more flowing and you have the passion to keep going then I would go for large IG and tau armies.

But thats just my 2 cents

Charistoph
23-08-2010, 18:11
personally if the funds arent as easy coming and you want a starter I would recommend the Chaos Marines

A: you already have the book
B: cheaper to get up and running

Once your funds are more flowing and you have the passion to keep going then I would go for large IG and tau armies.

But thats just my 2 cents

That's a good way to go if you can't finalize. Also, you can take the other Marine models (like AoBR) and just paint them Chaosy to represent recently turned brothers to keep your costs down.

angrySCORCH62
23-08-2010, 18:43
Well since I already have the codex and army list, I'll probably go Black Legion. Thanks guys.

paulymath
27-08-2010, 11:05
Well since I already have the codex and army list, I'll probably go Black Legion. Thanks guys.

I got some Tau models a few years back, but honestly I really didn't enjoy building/painting them. No matter how much time I put into the models the painting didn't look good.

Space Marines, Orks, and even the Eldar I've painted look so much better with way lest time spent on them. I'm not sure what it is about the Tau models, but to me they just look so flat and "blah".