PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Carry Your Huge Army?

SiNNiX
23-08-2010, 04:08
For years, I've been using these stupid old tackle boxes for my three armies and I'm a little sick of it. As much foam as I have in there to protect them, models get broken every few months and they're really inconvenient to transport, carry in and out of stores, and keep out of the way once in the store.

I have three armies: Daemons, Dwarfs and Lizardmen. I play my 3k Dwarfs more than anything these days (go figure with the release of 8th) and am now going to be starting a 3k WOC army for fun.

Any nifty ideas on how to transport and protect these models? What do you guys do? I've seen so many different ways to do it, but I wanna know how you guys do it in case someone has a very interesting idea. More than anything, I care about my WOC army for now considering there are 3 monster-size units (a Chaos Dragon and 2 Chaos Giants), so it has to be something that can fit these different size models.

P.S.: Just for a funny bit of information, my brother engineered and crafted this huge orc-looking box for his O&G army that folds out in six different ways and is painted and sanded and all sorts of stuff; it's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen but BOY does it hurt when one of those orc teeth hits you in the leg when you're carrying it lol.

Caladin
23-08-2010, 04:23
I bought plastic storage bins, lined them with metal (heating section of home depot has sheets of very thin stuff, easy to work with.) and magnetized the bases of all my troops. Works amazingly well, is really cheap and doesn't scuff the models over time like foam.

Jind_Singh
23-08-2010, 04:23
I've been making do with the GW army cases, they are serviceable. On the more pricey side are the 'army transport' bags which are wicked but they do cost.

Either way, better than the tackle boxes!

starlight
23-08-2010, 04:26
http://www.charonproductions.com/

I have a Battlepack and two SkirmishPack Deluxes and likely will get more. :D

b4z
23-08-2010, 04:36
kr multicases.... have a range of foams to suit your needs, entirely 'select-able' and 'customise-able' either that.... or go for the magnetisation option. for fantasy i'd be tempted by the latter. for my 40k i have the former, works fantastically well.

N810
23-08-2010, 04:45
If somebody has a good case for Lizardmen let me know,
they won't sit in the typical foam trays due to their large and
rather randomly shaped units... :(

Bloody Nunchucks
23-08-2010, 05:17
you can order huge cases full of customizable foam, the only problem is that its 150$, it does hold my 5k of tau and there is still more room. also nothing has ever broken in the case

SiNNiX
23-08-2010, 05:41
you can order huge cases full of customizable foam, the only problem is that its 150$, it does hold my 5k of tau and there is still more room. also nothing has ever broken in the case

From which company?

Thanks to the other above posters, by the way. I love having options! :)

ShaggothLord
23-08-2010, 05:47
I bought plastic storage bins, lined them with metal (heating section of home depot has sheets of very thin stuff, easy to work with.) and magnetized the bases of all my troops. Works amazingly well, is really cheap and doesn't scuff the models over time like foam.

Where do you get these magnets and how do you magnetize them exactly?

Deetwo
23-08-2010, 05:49
http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html

These. Best thing since sliced bread, the foam trays are uncut so you can pretty much customize then any way you want.

SiNNiX
23-08-2010, 05:53
http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html

These. Best thing since sliced bread, the foam trays are uncut so you can pretty much customize then any way you want.

Man... how come I couldn't have been in that unit when I was in the Army? The whole platoon just sitting around making Warhammer cases and playing Warhammer all day, haha! Sounds like heaven compared to my old outfit. :)

tzeentchservant
23-08-2010, 06:37
I have been getting generic GUN/COMPOUND BOW case at walmart for around 20 bucks... but the are some REALLY GOOD cases out there with foam trays designed for miniatures go to a sight call TMP (the miniatures page and look at the vendors)

~PrometheuS~
23-08-2010, 06:42
Currently magnetising my entire skaven army, cant take them to a tourn or anything, as 250 models plus to rank up, takes way to much time

When done, they will be pre ranked and put into a big box and ready to just pull out and deploy

Billy
23-08-2010, 08:40
It isn't a good way to carry an army, but i use the top of a Stompa box to carry around my orcs. I am in the proccess of painting them all up and will soon be finding a new solution.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
23-08-2010, 08:49
This:

http://www.krmulticase.eu/aluminiumkrmulticaseeu.html

They're great, and unlike most other products you won't look like a 10-year old carrying around a 10-year olds toys + they've got great customer service :)

Toshiro
23-08-2010, 08:50
I've also magnetized the bases of my models and move them in a big feldherr case already on their trays, for infantry this is gold as I can transport plenty of troops reliably :)

Yrrdead
23-08-2010, 08:54
http://www.battlefoam.com/

My buddy is using the 1520 for his WoC army. Pricey but pretty darn cool.

Whitehorn
23-08-2010, 09:07
I have 5 carry cases, lots of foam and lots of bubble wrap.

Plus a car boot...

WarmbloodedLizard
23-08-2010, 09:40
go with magnetizing. I hate to need ages to put my troops on the tabletop. I don't have them magnetizes yet, but as soon I have time I'll do it. (LM, Ogres)

macmusic22
23-08-2010, 09:47
Yeh definately go with the magnetization...if you don't have the money to get a decent transport bag then go the magnets..

Tokugawa100
23-08-2010, 10:51
Well, when I played I used to keep my armies in a mess of buiscuit and chocolate tins, simply because I did not want to buy an overpriced suitcase with little foam slots I could make myself but cheaper.

I used to keep my Necrons in Turkish Delight Tins, my Eldar in Fruit and Nut, my Night Goblins in Short Bread and my miscellaneous models in a couple of old Chock Mint cans.:)

Playing coincidentally made me hungry.:D

Lordsaradain
23-08-2010, 11:45
How do I carry my huge army?

Answer is I dont, I let it all my active armies sit on a bookshelf and only bring them down from there to paint or game. I make my friends come to my house for games. :D
My "inactive" armies are stored in foamed shoeboxes.

My CSM army is in one of those big 2x size GW army carry cases, and I have my VC in a normal GW carry case, those are the armies I bring if I play at a friends.

Lorcryst
23-08-2010, 13:32
I'm also using a GW case with my Night Goblins, they are so small that I can put two in each foam slot, a single case is enough for my 227 models army.

For big pieces like Giants, I have a very old GW carry case that is basically a sandwich of big foam pieces, works nicely too ... barring that shoeboxes lined with plenty of foam should do the trick, or one of the specially moulded foam cases already linked in this thread.

mdauben
23-08-2010, 15:01
For years, I've been using these stupid old tackle boxes for my three armies and I'm a little sick of it.
I did the same thing for a number of years. The Plano boxes I have work pretty well for generally human sized infantry, but cavalry, monstrous infantry, monsters, war machines, flyers, etc. didn't fit well.

Any nifty ideas on how to transport and protect these models?
I currently use the Sabol Design (http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html)ArmyTransport system. The cases come in several differrent sizes, and can be fitted with customizable foam trays in a half dozen different thicknessess, for everything from gobbos to the largest monsters or warmachines. I've not found anything better.

SiNNiX
23-08-2010, 16:43
Well in my new WOC army, I'm going to be having a dragon. In all my many years of playing Warhammer, I've never had a model that large (as far as wingspan and just limbs and things going in every direction and taking up alot of area). Any ideas of how to store a dragon? Will some of these carrying cases be large enough for a dragon? I really like the Sabol Designs so far.

N810
23-08-2010, 20:30
Ohhh this looks promising. :D
http://battlefoam.com/catalog.php?item=210&catid=8&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D8
(stagadon trays) :eek:

Casshole
24-08-2010, 06:08
To keep cost down, I've been using this blue sticky tack to stick all my skaven to the movemtn trays and then stick the movement trays tothe bottom of a huge tackle box. soem of the infantry are stacked on eachother but i tack them to the walls of the box.

I once played a game against a skaven player ina tourney and the game only had about 30 minutes of game time cause it took so long for him to set up, so i like to come prepared.

If i had an uber amount of money/time, id do magnets, but ive yet to find a cost effective way to do it.

harthag12
24-08-2010, 15:53
The magnet option isn't expensive, does take a bit of time but it's not to bad. I bought 500 rare earth magents for $25+5 shipping, just a dab of super glue on the base, place magent, hit w/ zip kicker, done. I use 1 magnet on infantry, 2 on cavalry, 3 on 40x40 bases, etc. Only tough one to do were Ogres as the 40x40 base had lots of little circles that I had to snip bits off and remove to fit the magents.

ChrisIronBrow
24-08-2010, 16:27
The magnet option isn't expensive, does take a bit of time but it's not to bad. I bought 500 rare earth magents for $25+5 shipping, just a dab of super glue on the base, place magent, hit w/ zip kicker, done. I use 1 magnet on infantry, 2 on cavalry, 3 on 40x40 bases, etc. Only tough one to do were Ogres as the 40x40 base had lots of little circles that I had to snip bits off and remove to fit the magents.

+1

I'm currently using a Cookie baking sheet, spray painted as an army display board. All my Daemons have magnet bases, so it's great. I can turn the thing upside down and shake and nothing becomes dislodged, plus, there's no wasted setup time for when I want a game. I just pull the unit (on it's magnet movement tray) out and deploy it.

Loki73
24-08-2010, 17:17
i use these. Local, guy he rocks.

http://outriderhobbies.com

scarletsquig
24-08-2010, 20:46
Magnets for fantasy, foam for 40k or other skirmish games.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
24-08-2010, 20:51
I'm slowly magnetizing my O&G, but many models are stored in an empty brigade box, and others in a foam-lined toolbox.

pate
24-08-2010, 22:05
Magnetizing sounds extremely interesting! I'm using a regular gw transport for my death guard army. I'm currently putting together a wood elves army, I bought a "platoon" sabol army transport that I intended to use. But I've yet to cuztomise the fome. I was originally planning a 1500p force, which have expanded to 2500p. Now I'm not even sure it'll all fit. So it seems like the transport was wasted money:/ But otherwise the sabol army transports seem awesome.

ChrisIronBrow
24-08-2010, 22:46
Magnetizing sounds extremely interesting! I'm using a regular gw transport for my death guard army. I'm currently putting together a wood elves army, I bought a "platoon" sabol army transport that I intended to use. But I've yet to cuztomise the fome. I was originally planning a 1500p force, which have expanded to 2500p. Now I'm not even sure it'll all fit. So it seems like the transport was wasted money:/ But otherwise the sabol army transports seem awesome.

For years I heard people talk about magnets, but I always dismissed it as to difficult, too time consuming, or too expensive. The reality though is that it's much cheaper and easier than it sounds.

TheBloodyHand
25-08-2010, 00:15
I transport my Dark Elf Army (3k) Magnetized to movement trays, in a 30" long, 18" wide, 6" deep rubbermade Storage container (walmart <$25) lined with foam air conditioner filters (also walmart <$2 per package). For your dragon, magnetize/pin any easily seperated piece wings, heads, tail, etc. I did this with the new HE dragon, so it lays flat in the case and both wings can be detached. Much safer, no need to reglue broken pieces.

SiNNiX
25-08-2010, 02:38
Yeah I gotta figure out the best way to magnetize my Dwarfs. :(

Omens
25-08-2010, 08:16
Buy small rare earth magnets, no more than 2mm thick, and a magnetic surface to make your movement trays from.

Magnetising really is very very simple and not at all expensive.

Henke
25-08-2010, 10:43
Any good tips on where to buy the magnets? I've used some from a local hobby store and they are not really strong enough :-(
cheers
Karl

Tae
25-08-2010, 11:00
This:

http://www.krmulticase.eu/aluminiumkrmulticaseeu.html

They're great, and unlike most other products you won't look like a 10-year old carrying around a 10-year olds toys + they've got great customer service :)

I would agree with this. The customer service is truely outstanding and they are fully familiar with almost all GW products and their sizes. So you can (and I did) email them saying my army was X, Y, Z - what case and foam should I use.

Currently I use the largest of their cases and carry around 4 armies in the one case (1.5k Marines,1.5k 40k Daemons, 2k WFB WoC, 2k WFB DoC).

Omens
25-08-2010, 12:38
Any good tips on where to buy the magnets? I've used some from a local hobby store and they are not really strong enough :-(
cheers
Karl
Make sure they are neodymium magnets, ive been using 3mmx2mm and they will hold a plastic mini just fine with just one. Put two on cav/monster/metal and you can hold them upside down and shake.

daismith906
25-08-2010, 13:59
I would agree with this. The customer service is truely outstanding and they are fully familiar with almost all GW products and their sizes. So you can (and I did) email them saying my army was X, Y, Z - what case and foam should I use.

Currently I use the largest of their cases and carry around 4 armies in the one case (1.5k Marines,1.5k 40k Daemons, 2k WFB WoC, 2k WFB DoC).

I did exactly the same, quality is great along with the service!!

Bakdoi
25-08-2010, 16:02
In a box that makes them go clank clank when I walk.

Tae
25-08-2010, 18:11
I did exactly the same, quality is great along with the service!!

Also, if they're going to a show (check their website for details) you can place orders in advance and collect them from their stand - saving p&p, which is what I did at last year's SELWG.

BorderKing
25-08-2010, 21:52
I stack mine on top of each over, creating a huge leaning tower of models. Thank god I don't play 3k battles:p.

Kisanis
26-08-2010, 02:58
I'm actually in the process currently of making a new Storage system. My friends and I are looking at the large Plastice bins (about 9$ each) using foam trays. I personally don't like magnets, they may work, but just have my issues with them (Ill founded or not).

Originally I was gonna buy rolls of foam from Uline (www.uline.ca) 72'x36"x0.5" for about 125$ CAD. Not too shabby I Thought.

Luckily I landed free foam from work and am just cutting it and glueing it together into the sheets needed.