PDA

View Full Version : I really need to settle on an army.

Ivellis
23-08-2010, 07:46
I've had major problems choosing an army since I started 40k, I began with Necrons, but quickly found they didn't fit my love of painting, modeling and fluff writing, even though they were pretty fun to play. I migrated to Dark Angels when their newest Codex came out, but this time instantly found a gameplay disconnect, I just couldn't enjoy playing them. At the same time I toyed with playing Chaos Marines, but the 4th edition codex immediately turned me off, it just didn't feel like I'd be playing centuries old tragic and scarred warriors.

Eventually I started Tyranids after borrowing the 4th edition codex from a friend's father, I loved the visuals and the fluff, and soon was enjoying the gameplay quite a bit, but I found I just couldn't stand painting hordes of the same model, over and over, the final nail in the coffin was my discontent with the 5th edition codex. So then I started a small Eldar force by selling off a chunk of my Tyranid forces, I've found I just can't get into Eldar, even though the elf archetype is usually my go to in other games.

I love the game, I love the universe, but I can never stick with an army long enough to even get a full and painted 1500 point army. I want that army that fits me, and inspires me, but once I have it in my hands it seems to just fall out in some way.

What can I do? Does anyone have any tips for me? It's getting frustrating.

Thanks guys, feel free to ask any questions that can help you, help me.

The Satyr
23-08-2010, 08:15
Just make up something you like. *Looks at avatar* Since you like Hellsing have you thought about putting zombie and vampire heads on IG or SM or something?

ForgottenLore
23-08-2010, 09:04
Don't sell off your armies then cycle through them as you get bored. Tired of painting gaunts, use your DA figs as fallen and play chaos for a while. Getting bored with that, experiment with the Eldar for a bit. Just want a quick, fun game today, dig out the Necrons for an evening.

As long as you regularly are working on SOMETHING all of those armies will gradually get done and even grow.

mughi3
23-08-2010, 09:26
Gah i know the feeling
I have built and sold off about 6 armies worth of stuff in the last 10 years.

My problem isn't really the forces in question it is GW marketing practices.

I do love theme and fluff based rules which worked well when i started in 3rd edtion of the game. however after building up several themed and fun armies only to have them nuetered, illegalised or otherwise KO'd with new dex's or game editions. i got fed up with GW enough to just do one army, my own DIY chapter and call it done.

I think our desire for variety and list building drives us to build multiple armies, i solved this problem myself by expanding my pool of miniature games out fo GW and into fantastic skirmish games like infinity or other classics like BFG, battletech and so on.

xerxeshavelock
23-08-2010, 09:32
See - when I was in your position I was lucky enough to look at the Tau Fire Warrior models. They are great sculpts that sum up perfectly almost all aspects of the army. Perhaps take a look at them. They'll play differently to any other army, and they are a pleasure to paint, having a mix of armour, fabric and organic models with the allies.

Ivellis
23-08-2010, 11:26
Don't sell off your armies then cycle through them as you get bored. Tired of painting gaunts, use your DA figs as fallen and play chaos for a while. Getting bored with that, experiment with the Eldar for a bit. Just want a quick, fun game today, dig out the Necrons for an evening.

As long as you regularly are working on SOMETHING all of those armies will gradually get done and even grow.

A bit late for that unfortunately, all I have left is some ravenwing bikers, maybe 750 points of Tyranids and a Eldar battleforce with an extra wave serpent. I think I have a Necron Lord floating around somewhere, but he was my first ever painted model and looks horrible, also his staff broke.

I really wish I could get that feeling some people get when they look at an army and automatically know that is the right army for them. :eyebrows:

I'm hoping the new Dark Eldar might do something for me, because they were the first army I reacted to when I saw 40k, even though the models were pretty ugly. If Chaos Marines had a codex a little more fluff driven and diverse I'd probably love to have them, but alas! I've also been interested in Tau, but I'm not sure a shooty army is for me.

There's something I love about having tragedy in my army, but I'm not sure how to get that either.

VonManstein
23-08-2010, 12:46
A bit late for that unfortunately, all I have left is some ravenwing bikers, maybe 750 points of Tyranids and a Eldar battleforce with an extra wave serpent. I think I have a Necron Lord floating around somewhere, but he was my first ever painted model and looks horrible, also his staff broke.
Sorry but I laughed at this. It looks kinda dramatic.

I would first get rid of everything you still have left. Seems just like wasted models there. If you dont like Eldar now you will never like it and Tyranids just got a new dex which you dont like so. Ravenwing bikers... maybe keep them. They can be used for every marine army. Provides you with some money and gives you a clean start.

You are in a really tough position it seems. Have you looked into Space Wolves and Blood Angels? Both books provide lots of modelling and list options. They are both at least way more interesting to play with compared to Chaos. New codexes, new models too. Same with Orks, but you might dislike the horde aspect here and the gameplay is a little (too) straightforward in my opinion.

If that fails, waiting untill new codexes of other armies come out is the best idea I guess...

I really wish I could get that feeling some people get when they look at an army and automatically know that is the right army for them.
Not everybody has this, including me.
I began with Marines. Didnt like them, so sold them.
Started IG, didnt like them so sold them.
Then I just wanted an army which I liked playing with and which I was able to be competative with. I went with an army where I dont like the fluff nor looks of (chaos) I still have this army today. Just 2000 points of play ready Chaos.
After that I could more easily look to other armies, which I liked for other reasons. (tried to play IG again and sold them again btw haha)

So maybe just try to get a playable army first. Just one where you like to play with. If you are the competative type, its easier because then you have to paint them quickly too (to get painting points in tourneys).
For many people there is no 'perfect' army. Thats why many people want multiple armies anyway, many times a single army doesnt satisfy.

Memnos
23-08-2010, 13:04
Keep your Tyranids and reinvent your love for them.

Don't like painting hordes of the same model? Why not reinvent Hive Fleet Colossus and their Zoatly goodness(Counts As Hive Guard). Or maybe you're going to do a Genestealer Infestation. Is a Pyrovore Ork DNA, or do you have firebreathing demon-cows?

Change up your modelling. Change up your history. Don't abandon an army because you don't like the way it plays. Change up your army and make it play well.

laudarkul
23-08-2010, 13:07
I like the idea and also the R. Heinlein book. So IG came as a first and only choice for an army. So my slowly expending IG force will be my first army of playing (I intend to have an all infantry force/mech force/tank heavy and later maybe airborne).
Then, being on the good side and looking awesome from the models and fluff point of view for me, I start a DH force which will grow tks to the new rumors regarding a GK codex. Since SoB looks amazing, now I begin also a small army(for the end of this year).
I'm the type of player which prefer first to have the army at least 90% painted, then to start playing "fluffy" in order to learn the army, then playing "competitive" :D.
So, as for good side, those armies are my choices. The money will go predominantly on the IG (for example the PBS looks good but since I have only 4 Psykers I'll have to buy 2 more blisters and also a Chimera, paint them and then start field them), followed by GK(another 5 PAGK box/LR/GKD FW) and SoB(another Immolator/WH CHimera).
A SM army will follow but I have to decide carefully which chapter I want.
From the fluff point of view I choose Dark Eldar as a "bad army". I'm settled on them so I start buying small amount of models and soon maybe a Ravager/DE battleforce (if available). After those acquisition I'll start painting them (choosing a good army color scheme is one of the most important thing for me because I want to feel the army:), I know it sound weird:skull:).

ForgottenLore
23-08-2010, 13:21
I would first get rid of everything you still have left.
Started IG, didnt like them so sold them.
(tried to play IG again and sold them again btw haha)This is exactly why I don't recommend people sell off their armies. I have seen it time and time again in dozens of games, you spend a bunch of money on a new game/army, loose interest after a while, sell off the stuff, usually for 50%-75% of what you paid for it, then a few years later get interested in it again for some reason and re-buy all the stuff you used to already have for more than you paid for it originally.

GW cycles through armies and rules. Maybe the current Tyranid codex doesn't work for you but you know it will change in a few years and then they will probably play completely different. Set them aside till then.

Don't like Eldar now? You might later. When I started playing 40k my least favorite army was Daemonhunters. I wasn't just uninterested in them, I actively disliked them. Same with Orks. Now I am seriously considering starting a Grey Knight army when they get redone next year and there are all sorts of Orky conversions I would like to get around to making. (I still can't stand Witchhunters though).

You never know how things will change in the future. If you don't HAVE to get rid of models for some reason, hang on to them. Odds are they will become useful eventually.

Ivellis
23-08-2010, 13:36
Which is why I'm keeping what I have left of my Tyranids and Eldar, I'm hoping the next Eldar codex will be a bit more to my liking. But I don't want to have to wait years to play the game again. Here's to hoping Dark Eldar later this year will be what I'm looking for. If not, I hope I'll be able to find another army someday soon, I don't want to keep putting it off hoping the next codex released will be to my liking.

I would just go play another game for a while, but I end up with this problem in every game I play, including WFB, (Vampire Counts, then Wood Elves, then Bretonnia, then High Elves) and Warmachine. (Cryx, then Legion, then Menoth, then Circle.) :p

Although I feel worst about WFB I have no models left there... :shifty:

Latro_
23-08-2010, 13:59
Sounds like your main problem is with the rules, when you say you dont get on with them does that mean you play a handful of games with army x and loose them all?

Souleater
23-08-2010, 14:03
This is exactly why I don't recommend people sell off their armies. I have seen it time and time again in dozens of games, you spend a bunch of money on a new game/army, loose interest after a while, sell off the stuff, usually for 50%-75% of what you paid for it, then a few years later get interested in it again for some reason and re-buy all the stuff you used to already have for more than you paid for it originally.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. I sold my converted Undead/Dark Elf army off on ebay for less than half what I paid for it. And now I'd really like to play Dark Elves because WHFB is suddenly being played again. :(

On to the OP: hang on to see what Dark Eldar are like.

Also the fluff for Chaos Marines is up to you. I used to play CSM but the whiney sulky brats of the current codex really put me off. However, I could actually sit down and write my own fluff about them, thus avoiding all the silly crud.

It could be that you are always going to flit from a few small armies.

Charistoph
23-08-2010, 17:59
Another thought, if you can get a hold of the old Dark Eldar codex, try proxying in your Eldar and Nid models and see how the character of the army works for you.

If they need to be painted for character, paint them dark, emo purple to help get you into the mood.

Ivellis
24-08-2010, 00:00
Sounds like your main problem is with the rules, when you say you dont get on with them does that mean you play a handful of games with army x and loose them all?

Actually, no. I don't lose that often, I just don't have fun playing certain armies, not sure why exactly.

As for the newest Chaos Marines codex, it just doesn't feel flavourful to me, if you don't understand why already, nothing I can say will make you understand. Not meaning to be insulting of course, different tastes and all that.

And with Dark Eldar, considering it's been 12 years since their last codex I don't expect the new one to play like the old one does.

JollyGoodChap
24-08-2010, 00:23
I would suggest an Inquisition army filled with Witch/Daemon/Xeno hunting, point spending goodness :D

Charistoph
24-08-2010, 00:33
And with Dark Eldar, considering it's been 12 years since their last codex I don't expect the new one to play like the old one does.

They won't play exactly like they did. No army is exactly the same from Edition to Edition and Codex to Codex.

That having been said, there is a certain feel and flavor the each army has that has surprisingly stayed well intact over the 5th Edition codecies. You can at least give them a try to see how they work out. You may enjoy the style of the army, and that won't change no matter how much the units do.

We're still a ways away from them being relaunched, so you can you'll have time to dive into the character and flavor of the army before the rumor mill butchers any confidence you may have before you even have a chance to try it.

In short, don't say no just because they may change by the end of the year.

Ivellis
24-08-2010, 03:43
I actually have the Dark Eldar codex (What can I say, I collect the things.) and they don't have much identity or character to speak of. (The Torturer's Tale is the only thing that made me interested in them in the first place.) Since it's been 12 years and every single model is supposed to be replaced I'm pretty certain the entire feel and look will change, I don't want to get into them and then find them not to my liking again with the new book.

Charistoph
24-08-2010, 04:28
That's a possibility with any army, really. Right now rumors have DE and one of the 'Hunter armies slated for the next release, but DE have been up on that slot for a couple of years now.

That's why I suggested using what you do have to proxy without actually investing anything new, just time and a little effort. The only time you'll have problems with it is tournaments and when someone's an *******. For the first, can't help much then suggest to convert well. For the second, you probably wouldn't want to play an ******* anyway, so it's good to know before you pull them out.

Heck, use what you have to proxy most, if not all, the armies until you find a codex that suits you. Then you can build/model/convert from there to suit your own personal tastes.

I know someone who absolutely HATES the Kroot models, so he took some Fire Warriors and converted them to be Catachani-style Tau to act in their place. The models were well done and obviously not the normal Fire Warrior, and would have been a blast to play against. Use this aspect of the hobby to your advantage while your investment is still relatively light.

WolfGuardChris
24-08-2010, 05:41
Realize that other armies are always going to have cool stuff you wish you had. Dont get distracted. Remember what brought you to the army in the fisrt place and focus on that.

Also forget about wether or not you like your codex. Just play with your army even if things annoy you. Once you learn to overcome those things you will begin to win and enjoy the army that much more.

Stick with something man. The grass isn't always greener.

Ivellis
24-08-2010, 08:38
Realize that other armies are always going to have cool stuff you wish you had. Don't get distracted. Remember what brought you to the army in the first place and focus on that.

Also forget about whether or not you like your codex. Just play with your army even if things annoy you. Once you learn to overcome those things you will begin to win and enjoy the army that much more.

Stick with something man. The grass isn't always greener.

I'm of the opinion that if you don't have fun with your army then it's not worth sticking with it. It's a game, a hobby and a story so it should be all about fun. It's not like I changed over instantly, I stuck it out for a while, but I'm not going to waste my free time using an army I don't enjoy.

Which is why I want to find an army I do enjoy, the hobby is something I love, it's only the army holding me back.

Just my two cents.

Oguleth
24-08-2010, 10:57
I share your...pain?

Personally I switch armies way too much... My problem is that there is something that annoys me with every army; and thus another army that doesn't have that problem starts to get tempting. And so it burns..

For example - I played Orks for 18 months or so, but in the end the lack of proper ranged anti-tank (anti-transport was ok) and lack of psykerdefense got my teeth gnashing enough, so I switched to BA just to sort that out. At a guess, I'll end up getting tired of BA due to Marines overload making games monotone down the road...

The best thing to do I feel, is just to collect one of each army :p I was actually about to do a 400 point army of every faction in the game, and then build/paint/expand on them depending on what was the most interesting at the time. But finding people that play low point games a lot isn't easy, so it needs the right opponents to work out.

Luisjoey
24-08-2010, 21:26
Play and collect space marines! make your own space marines chapter!

they have a good and versatile metagame and lots of choice to play with!

D.B.
24-08-2010, 22:10
I was an army grasshopper for years. Currently lack of money and time means I'm a dead grasshopper, but once i find the former and maybe a bit of the later I'm sure it'll kick off again.

One possibility - why not go for an army with the lowest model count? I'm half thinking of going deathwing next time. You only need to paint about 16-17 terminators, plus some tanks, and you've got 1500 points. I'd say it's hard to get bored and stop within that time frame. I know you said you didn't like dark angels before, but all terminators means you'll be playing very differently.

Wolfwing or grey knights might be worth a look for similar reasons.

Latro_
24-08-2010, 22:23
The problem with 40k is, a lot of the time the most fun armies/units are often the least competitive.

Fluffing out your army isnt hard if you get your fun from the narrative. Like my next chaos marine army is gonna be a bunch of daemonic worshipping tzeetch followers. I'm gonna use the possessed and normal marine sprues to make normal semi possessed marines with the mark of tzeetch (5+ inv save so represents the daemonic aura), they're using magic and arcane lore to be semi possessed for all the benefits but maintain their minds.

will look sweet, tis fluffy rules wise and takes a bit of a dip in the competitive area but meh.

Axel
24-08-2010, 22:29
Try Orks

The only army that even feels good when it got a senseless trashing :-)

>lack of proper ranged anti-tank
Bah. Never do something from afar that you can do with an antitankrokkit on a club :-)

For the record: I had/have a couple of IG, Eldar, Tau, SMs, Sororitas, Tyranids, Necrons.

I enjoy expanding my guards, but have most playing with Orks.
I hardly play any of the others anymore.

lumiya
24-08-2010, 22:58
Try Orks

The only army that even feels good when it got a senseless trashing :-)

>lack of proper ranged anti-tank
Bah. Never do something from afar that you can do with an antitankrokkit on a club :-)

For the record: I had/have a couple of IG, Eldar, Tau, SMs, Sororitas, Tyranids, Necrons.

I enjoy expanding my guards, but have most playing with Orks.
I hardly play any of the others anymore.

I agree with this, Orks were the way to go for me.

I started with IG and while that was fun for a while, I quickly found that they didn't play the way I wanted them to play.

I started playing Orks shortly after, and it is simply a fun army to play :D.

Don't like a Green Tide? Take Speed Freaks.
Don't like Speed Freaks? Take a Dredmob.
Don't like Dreadmobs? Take a Biker build (Ork Bikers are actually pretty good at shooting).
Don't like any one of the above? Combine them all to suit however you want to play.

I currently play IG, Tau and Eldar, but Orks are still my favourite.

madprophet
25-08-2010, 02:52
Before you spend another dime - I would suggest you spend time building some army lists and try them out - use marked bases instead of minis for now. Read through the rules and fluff for the various armies you are considering.

Personally, when I chose my primary army, I started with the figures. Whatever army you pick you are going to spend a lot of time painting and modeling it so it helps if you like the looks of it. Then look at the fluff and pick a theme you like, again, you want to identify with your army. Once you have settled on that then and only then buy figures and paint them.:angel:

I actually made a checklist of what I wanted in my main army and when I was done the Guard was the closest match - I then picked minis I liked the look of and never looked back. I have about 5000 points of painted guard and about another 1000 or so still unpainted.:D

I have smaller Tyranid, Ork, Tau, Chaos and Space Marine armies but they serve mainly as opposition forces to my Guards. When I play at the local club or tournie it's all Guard, all the time.:evilgrin:

paulymath
27-08-2010, 10:17
I know the feeling. I started with Tau based on their lore and background. Then, after painting some of them I hated trying to paint them. Even after spending hours on painting them I couldn't make them look good.

Then I switched to Eldar. Much more impressive looking when painted nicely.

Then I took a break from the hobby for a few years and now I'm back into it with the AoBR starter set , so now I have Space Marines and Orks as well.

I really want to paint the Blood Angels I bought though but I told myself I'd get the Orks and Ultramarines in the AoBR set done first. But now after painting Orks I'm really liking them, so might also collect them.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to just collect a few smaller armies instead of trying to pick just on big army?

-Paul

GrimDog
27-08-2010, 14:54
www.bartertown.com

Get bored with an army trade it for a new one. That one doesn't fit you? Trade it again. I cycle armies and game systems there all the time. Never sell armies you take a bath doing that. Most people trade armies on sites like bartertown retail to retail value.

Alfhedil
27-08-2010, 15:57
For me it's picking a single model that I like and building around it for each of the armies I have. My wife does the same thing with her Daemons. If I can't find a model that I absolutely love, then the army isn't worth it to me, but once I have that model and spent the time to lavish upon it the attention it deserves, then I won't quit the army. It's why no matter what I'll still be a Necron player first, and a Marine player second.

geraint
28-08-2010, 19:54
i have the exact same problem with armies , i can never stick to one and finish it , its quite frustraiting.
how do u deal with it??