PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Empire - 1 game, 1 win, is it any good?

Jo Bennett
23-08-2010, 11:52
I managed a win with the list below against Ogre Kingdoms in my first game in some time. My current thinking is I need to beef up the main infantry units, possibly have a much bigger spear unit and drop the swords at this points level. I have sufficient spare models to beef up magic and artillery significantly, should I do either of these and if so what should I drop to make it happen?

General of the Empire (1#, 110 pts)
1 General of the Empire @ 110 pts (General; Hand Weapon; Full Plate Armor; Shield)
1 Sword of Striking

State Troops (18#, 154 pts)
16 Crossbowmen @ 154 pts) full command

Militia Troops (16#, 133 pts)
16 Archers @ 133 pts (Hand Weapon; Bow; Skirmishers)
Marksman (Hand Weapon; Bow)

State Troops (17#, 156 pts)
18 Handgunners @ 156 pts full command

Knightly Orders (9#, 231 pts)
9 Knightly Orders @ 231 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std)

State Troops (28#, 224 pts)
19 Spearmen full command
9 [Det] Archers (Huntsmen)

State Troops (40#, 305 pts)
20 Swordsmen @ 305 pts
full command
10 [Det] Handgunners
10 [Det] Archers

Captain of the Empire (1#, 127 pts)
1 Captain of the Empire (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 127 pts (Barding; Hand Weapon; Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard Bearer)
1 Warhorse
1 Standard of Arcane Warding

1 Great Cannon @ 100 pts (Cannon)

Greatswords (19#, 220 pts)
full command
1 Mortar @ 75 pts

Battle Wizard (1#, 65 pts)

Total Roster Cost: 2000

exodusofman
23-08-2010, 14:07
I managed a win with the list below against Ogre Kingdoms in my first game in some time. My current thinking is I need to beef up the main infantry units, possibly have a much bigger spear unit and drop the swords at this points level. I have sufficient spare models to beef up magic and artillery significantly, should I do either of these and if so what should I drop to make it happen?

General of the Empire (1#, 110 pts)
1 General of the Empire @ 110 pts (General; Hand Weapon; Full Plate Armor; Shield)
1 Sword of Striking
General of the empire is terrible in gneral get a Gm or Arch lector on war alter
State Troops (18#, 154 pts)
16 Crossbowmen @ 154 pts) full command
you dont need full command
Militia Troops (16#, 133 pts)
16 Archers @ 133 pts (Hand Weapon; Bow; Skirmishers)
Marksman (Hand Weapon; Bow)
id make these 10
State Troops (17#, 156 pts)
18 Handgunners @ 156 pts full command
dont need FC
Knightly Orders (9#, 231 pts)
9 Knightly Orders @ 231 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std)
good

State Troops (28#, 224 pts)
19 Spearmen full command
9 [Det] Archers (Huntsmen)
you want 40 spearmen and halberdiers and crossbowmen as detcahments
State Troops (40#, 305 pts)
20 Swordsmen @ 305 pts
full command
10 [Det] Handgunners
10 [Det] Archers
drop the archers and add either halberdiers or militia also the unit needs more bodies try making them 30 strong
Captain of the Empire (1#, 127 pts)
1 Captain of the Empire (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 127 pts (Barding; Hand Weapon; Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard Bearer)
1 Warhorse
1 Standard of Arcane Warding
why not just give your knights this banner? they can take it it seems liek a waste of the bsbs allowance. give him the razor standard

get at least one more
Greatswords (19#, 220 pts)
full command
how many greatswords? why no detachments?
1 Mortar @ 75 pts
get at least 1 more

Battle Wizard (1#, 65 pts)
what he has no equipment? big mistake make him lvl 2 and give him the grey wand

you neeeed warrior priests
Total Roster Cost: 2000

not tryig to be mean but i have no idea ow you won your game this list needs alot of work its very messed up and all over teh place. your missing key things like pistoliers and warriors priests

Jo Bennett
23-08-2010, 14:20
As to how I won: simple, my opponent is just as clueless as I am :p

Jericho
24-08-2010, 15:42
OK so he's supposed to drop ~15 Archers and a naked L1 mage, and upgrade his general, add Warrior Priests, add more Mortars, and enlarge every single parent unit in his list by 50%. Not exactly possible in 2k, my friend.

I think the best place to start is to declutter the list and the thought patterns a bit here. How many models do you have? Are you willing to rebuy large portions or just find a way to consolidate a bit and make games easier at this early stage? Many of the core elements of the list look good. Two medium sized units of shooters (crossbows and handguns) is a good amount. The Archers are debatable, they aren't as cheap as you'd like for S3 BS3 shooting. If something has to go to help the list, I'd nominate them for now.

For the parent unit blocks, 30-40 really is standard in 8th edition now for S3/T3 troops. For support units, 15 strong is juicy to break enemy ranks and be able to soak a few wounds in the process. My personal preference is halberds for the parent unit, swordsmen for the flankers. Spears can still work for the parent unit, it just makes your army a bit more passive, playing a counter-charge role instead of a support charge role. Given your amount of shooting, this could work as it allows you a bit more time to soften up enemies. I would recommend adding 10 more Swordsmen to the list, but dividing them into two units of 15 to support larger blocks instead of being a parent unit themselves.

Characters are a tough thing to tackle with Empire at 2k. You have access to cheap characters, all with distinct advantages. BSB leading the Knights is fine. I'd recommend giving him some gear instead of a magic banner, but that's personal preference. Empire BSB's can still get juicy armor saves without magic items.

For the general, I still like the General of the Empire because he's CHEAP and gives you access to an extra magic banner in your army. Something they really are hard up for. Warrior priests/Arch Lectors are very handy, I'd advise having 1-2 to stick in parent units to give them an edge in combat. It's fairly predictable, but the Speculum is a good buy for one of these guys because they have lower stats than almost all combat heroes. Swapping with the opponent will almost always give you increases without very few penalties.

Having a support wizard isn't a bad thing, I'd try to make him a L2 and stick him in one of the units like Crossbows to keep him out of trouble. Pick a lore where you like the augment spells, or at the very least a lore with a very juicy Signature spell, and you'll be fine. Some of the lores are situational or mediocre in general, but most are quite sexy with buff/debuff spells that can tilt the balance of an engagement very quickly if cast into the right combat.

Summary:

I hope this all makes sense. I think you could benefit from taking a more consolidated approach to the army, you have a ton of small units (especially Archers!) and 8th really favors the larger blocks for combat troops. Taking a few big bricks of your own, and finding ways to deal with big enemy bricks (Mortars/Helstorm batteries are good for that, and augment/hex spells have massive impact on those Horde units) is pretty much the primary concern of a general in 8th edition.

Jo Bennett
26-08-2010, 19:02
I previously ran a Marienburg list so I have a lot of pikemen, who I could probably get away with counting as spears, at least until I find someone offering some 6th ed spearmen willing to trade for something I have. That would give a combined spear unit anything up to 54 men.

I take the point about archers, but they do have some advantages, being able to move and shoot, and shoot in two ranks, which makes them rather more manouverable, a big issue for me when I make a stupid error in my deployment and need to get them elsewhere quickly.

Thanks for the detailed help, I really appreciate it.

Jo Bennett
04-09-2010, 10:49
Played a second game with the army, as I haven't got hold of more close combat troops yet. Played against 1000pts Orcs and 1000pts Skaven together, won fairly convincingly. Same thing as before, my opponents' army selection was even worse than mine (nobody in the group is yet geared up with hordes, I think). Deploying cannon at either end of the line seems very effective, as does keeping my cavalry back from the front line so they can move in to take enemies in the flank if my line is broken.