PDA

View Full Version : Ye Olde World or Candyland or Oz?

Brother Ranz
23-08-2010, 18:42
There are a lot of things I like about 8th. I like the Army composition rules, I like how it's brought big units back and I like Steadfast (tough I think disruption should negate), but I HATE the terrain rules. True LoS is silly and terrain is either merely decorative or very deadly. Every table seems to have the Molasses Swamp, Peppermint Forest, a Shrine to Sigmar as well as one to Khaine and a river that blasts you with magic. Really???

Fritzallmighty
23-08-2010, 20:45
My WOC conquered a peppermint forest recently.

PEPPERMINTS FOR THE PEPPERMINT GOD!

UberBeast
23-08-2010, 21:09
The new terrain rules remind me of a scene from a famous movie. Start clip at 2:15 to see a warhammer forest in action.

Random terrain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A6A0r4nM-o&feature=related)

Azhrar
23-08-2010, 21:17
Don't like it? Don't use it!

From a purely game mechanic point of view i really like The new terrain rules, if anything it only adds more strategy to the field of battle. It only comes down to how you decide to use it.

But as stated in the brb it is up to you if you use The random method, or just place what you like.

I find that the terrain is fun and adds to the game, and for me it isn't a real life simulation anyway.

It't ok that my chaos morphed trolls live in chaos warped forests.

Edit: stupid iPhone auto typo correction

Urgat
23-08-2010, 21:19
Never understood how that movie managed to be famous, btw.

Anyway, I should put it in my sig: the random terrain isn't mandatory, the rules themselves let you decide to use them or not so you don't even need to houserule that... So as Azhar said, if you don't like it, dont use it >>

Crube
23-08-2010, 21:21
I know what you mean... Having said that, I think it does add a degree of fun to the game. Depends on my mood I suppose. For me in a tourney, then I'd rather just have most of the terrain as 'normal' (with maybe 1 random piece for the heck of it), but in other games, it can be a laugh.

Bac5665
23-08-2010, 21:42
Never understood how that movie managed to be famous, btw.

Anyway, I should put it in my sig: the random terrain isn't mandatory, the rules themselves let you decide to use them or not so you don't even need to houserule that... So as Azhar said, if you don't like it, dont use it >>

Its true, you don't have to use them, but it sure would be nice if there was an alternative set of rules so that terrain didn't have to effectively become pure window dressing if I don't want my trees to move or my rivers to cast spells.

Azhrar
23-08-2010, 21:47
In 7th terrain added very little to the battle unless you played woodelves or wanted a Hill for your guns. Terrain slowed you down to almost dead stop, taking your unit out of action.

Terrain was mostly placed on the edges of the field, and mostly avoided.

In my 8th games terrain has played a much bigger part than ever before.

Urgat
23-08-2010, 22:10
Its true, you don't have to use them, but it sure would be nice if there was an alternative set of rules so that terrain didn't have to effectively become pure window dressing if I don't want my trees to move or my rivers to cast spells.

Then make your own set of terrain rules? The BRB also encourages that :p
I'm actually itching to make such rules, but you first decide where you fight (Bretonnia, Empire, World Edge Moutains, etc), and then roll on a table best representing said area. But to be honest I don't mind how it is in the BRB, and people on Warseer don't give a damn about what's posted in the rules development forum, so I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
23-08-2010, 22:15
I like the new terrain better than the almost nonexistant rules for terrain in 7th.

Sure random terrain can give some very odd battlefields. - when a boiling merges with a raging torrent. And I've tried games where terrain had little to no effect, and we could have played on a bare field, and others where you could hardly take a step out of fear that a fimir vampire would come riding on a zoat out of a haunted mansion of Khaine Sigmar, but most of the battles have been reasonable - also think of why people choose to fight over these places in the first place, if it wasn't for those temples and sphynxes and whatnot.

It is peculiar, but the sheer variation it provides in battlefields is great fun - though it will probably end up in house rules one day :)

TLoS is probably the single worst thing about 8th (only contended by characters mounted on monsters immunity to KB), but at least it works, so I can live with it.

But in the end 8th is sooo much better than 7th :)

Malorian
23-08-2010, 22:18
I like the crazy terrain however I'd like there to be a higher probability of regular terrain, so for example a mystery forest will just be a regular forest at least half the time.

Bac5665
23-08-2010, 22:33
Then make your own set of terrain rules? The BRB also encourages that :p
I'm actually itching to make such rules, but you first decide where you fight (Bretonnia, Empire, World Edge Moutains, etc), and then roll on a table best representing said area. But to be honest I don't mind how it is in the BRB, and people on Warseer don't give a damn about what's posted in the rules development forum, so I don't think it's worth the hassle.

I could, and indeed I might at some point. But I mostly play pick-up games and would like to continue to do so. Having to come up with terrain rules from scratch is not particularly conducive to pick-up games.

Is it a big deal? No, but its another minor deal that bugs me in an edition full of minor deals that bug me.

Casshole
24-08-2010, 05:54
Weve been doing it where we roll just a fraction of the terrain pieces on the chart, and usually only until we get soemthing interesting, then seasoning with terrain until we get to the d6+4. That way you wont get candyland.

Also weve been rerolling some of the more awful terrain, such as the wyrding well. what a disaster. i hate that thing