PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have started New Armies for 8th?

Death Korp
23-08-2010, 20:04
Hey all,

With all these new army threads all over the place, I was wondering about how many of you have actually started new armies in 8th or not, or wanting to.

I for one do want to start my second army, but money is an issue...

Cheers,

DK

commander of the marines
23-08-2010, 20:06
wel seeing that 8th got into fantasy I had to start an army because I dind't have one

Agnar the Howler
23-08-2010, 20:07
Both my LM and WoC were started with 7th Ed. in mind, and I don't currently have plans to add a third army to my list.

Malorian
23-08-2010, 20:07
I already have 8 armies as it is... so no, no new army for me ;)

(Although I'm coming close with high elves...)

Tonberry
23-08-2010, 20:08
Started my first fantasy army >.<

decker_cky
23-08-2010, 20:08
No, but I've expanded my skaven and beastmen along with adding lots of new terrain.

loveless
23-08-2010, 20:11
8th fixed some of my complaints with the rank system. I started up a Warriors of Chaos army for 8th - the cost of the units in that force make up for the rest of my issues with the rank system.

I'm pretty happy about having an army where I don't feel like the back ranks are little more than wound counters.

EDIT: Aw, I wasted my 5,000th post on that? Ah well.

Lordsaradain
23-08-2010, 20:16
Voted no.

I already have a bunch of armies (OK, O&G, Empire, DE, VC, DoC, WoC...) since several years back, and I have revived some of them (like my night goblin army :P ) for 8th, but I haven't started anything new, and I don't plan to, I've just spent time paintng and building models I already had.

Scribe of Khorne
23-08-2010, 20:19
Yep, myself and several in the game group.

Daemons (Khorne, me)
Skaven
High Elf x 2

That I am aware of.

TheKingInYellow
23-08-2010, 20:22
Yes, have High Elves already. Started Woodies for a challenge, and WoC because I wanted another non-elf army too.

MY WALLET! IT BUUUURNS!

Our OnG player is starting Skaven as well, and our DoC player is checking out Beastmen.

Crovax20
23-08-2010, 20:24
Nope, I realized I only ever want at most 2 armies per game system. 2 armies is handy when you get relatives/friends coming over who don't own any mini's and it allows for some variation in what you can paint.

So for fantasy I got (mostly night) Goblins and Empire and for 40k I have Orks and Chaos Space Marines.

Its always tempting to start a new army, but it requires such a huge investment that I rather spend on other game systems.

bfeijter
23-08-2010, 20:31
I started playing with 8th. so yeah new army :)

Archeantus
23-08-2010, 20:46
I started Wood Elves for 8th despite all of the boohooing. Love the lore. Love the models. Having fun.

CleverDrake
23-08-2010, 21:18
Does it count if you are just joining WHF?

If, yes, then yes, I will be starting a new army...

Gorak
23-08-2010, 21:20
Yup started a brand new beastmen army for 8th, sold of the rest of collection including my 40k! Now I just have the good ol beastmen!

MoonsOfJupiter
23-08-2010, 21:22
Its the reverse for me.. I was starting new armies because of 7th (O&G, WE). Now I'm very excited to go back to my first army -- Dwarfs!

:O:
wd

hwd
23-08-2010, 21:31
None of me have...

zachattack46
23-08-2010, 21:36
I have started O&G but I'm also just starting the hobby so i don't if that's exactly the answer you wanted.

Spyral
23-08-2010, 21:39
Thinking of WoC but might use WE moar and do a 40k armie

Crube
23-08-2010, 21:39
Yes and No.

No, because I havent yet.

Yes, because plans are afoot for Skaven. And TOmb Kings. And to expand / revamp my Woodies..............

Astraeos
23-08-2010, 21:43
I almost did, I bought some Warriors of Chaos and later the book. But something was bugging me so I had a think and realized that I hadn't really got my dark Elves to a gaming standard.
Once they're done and I have my Vampire Counts army redone I may look back at the warriors. Unless those boxes of Beastmen in my cupboard get their way!
Or I resume my Space Wolves!

Pacorko
23-08-2010, 21:48
High Elves will finally join the other armies on my cabinet as I'm buying four IoB boxes to beef up my Skaven--one can't have too many-many slaves.

So, I'm going to buy some other High Elf models to have a nice army, but will not go near the spearmen until they get redone. So, for these I will use nice equivalent from West Wind's Lucifer Wars and Dwarf Wars ranges.

Freakiq
23-08-2010, 21:56
Ordered a 3000 point WoC army in one go from Maelstrom when they had the 17% off.

Combined with their standard 10% off and the weak pound I'd say I saved at least 35%.

Now just to assemble and paint it all...

dragonet111
23-08-2010, 21:58
I won't start a new army but I bought 40 horrors and I change my list to play a Horde of those insane daemons

Lord of Divine Slaughter
23-08-2010, 22:06
Didn't need to, I had just started collecting khainite darkies, but I hadn't tried them out on the battlefield yet :D

8th will probably lead to a bunch of conversions for my woodies, a few extra things for the darkies and nothing in particular for my VC - and then at some point I will probably get tired of one of the armies and start out a new one, a united chaos army, when GW realizes the error of their ways ;)

Loopstah
23-08-2010, 22:35
Well I dusted off my VC after nearly 2 years of being out of the hobby and now I've also started High Elves due to 8th Edition.

Nuada
24-08-2010, 08:45
I also started High Elves because of 8th, the IOB and the extra plastic infantry

FirefOol
24-08-2010, 09:08
I started my second dwarf army (With Mantic stuff) and I will soon start my second Skaven army when IoB arrives...

Slowpoke
24-08-2010, 09:14
I would love to start a new army for whfb. I've been checking out both High Elves and Wood Elves but I think I'll build up my WoC army to 3000 pts first before getting myself tangled up with a new army. Considering my budget, it might take a while..

snyggejygge
24-08-2010, 09:25
I haven't started a new one, but I have gone back to my old undead to convert them into VC (something I wouldn't dream about in 7:th edition when everybody thought they were OP).

Waagghh_Logan
24-08-2010, 09:37
Ive started a khorne Chaos force

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!!!

Bassik
24-08-2010, 09:39
No but I want to... I still have this huge Skaven army, and money is getting short. But I realy want to start a Bretonnia army..

Walgis
24-08-2010, 09:52
i had LM and theyre prity strong in 8ed but wanted something diferrent so im going to collect dwarfs for ~1500 pt :) i like that you can go warmachine heavy and can go CC realy well :)

Alathir
24-08-2010, 10:00
I'm starting a Nippon force using the Empire rules, but I'm not doing this because of 8th, I had plans for this during 7th edition, lucky me that infantry got such a boost!

Haravikk
24-08-2010, 10:27
I'm not sure any of the options apply to me; I'm starting a Skaven army (well I have been for a while but only have one unit so far and no army book), and the Island of Blood set is going to allow me to start the army properly.

However I'm not starting the army for 8th edition, I was always going to start it either way, it just happens that I've never had enough to play properly under 7th and when I do have a more respectable army it'll be played under 8th edition rules :)

Desert Rain
24-08-2010, 10:35
I haven't started any new army. I've thought a lot about it but I doubt that it will happen.

Artinam
24-08-2010, 10:37
I have to paint my Bretonnians first, then I can add some more boxes of Men-at-Arms and some special characters not in my possession.

Then Skaven...or Ogres...or something else.

the_picto
24-08-2010, 12:32
Kinda. I've just started using my 40k daemon army in fantasy.

zak
24-08-2010, 12:57
I have started Skaven. The models in the new boxed set are fantastic and with the addition of a battalion box and a few other bits you have a good sized army to start off with.

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-08-2010, 12:58
Does wanting to repaint my Dark Elves count? If it helps I haven't played Warhammer in a couple of years but 8th have me wanting to pick the army up again (with a fair few changes since I used them last under the previous book).

Dead Man Walking
24-08-2010, 13:20
I have too many armies to start new. I do find that I have to alter existing lists to make them work though.

My dwarves were a marching army but now that hammerers get slaughtered in combat I may switch down to lots of regular dwarves and add an anvil. My hammerers were warriors with hammer head bits replacing the great axe head so I'll just call them great weapon warriors.

Lizzies, after trying them out and loosing in a tournament my Kroxigor have to go and be replaced with a box of saurus. (which I won for best sportsman/loosing all my games).

Chaos: When they gutted the warrior list so we couldnt have demons or beastmen I lost 33% of my army and I am not going to reward GW by buying more chaos models from them.

High elves: Need more spearmen. Havent really looked into it.

Orc & Gobbin, Need more Orcs. Waiting for plastic savage orcs. My last list was mostly calvary, would also like to replace old goblins with new goblins.

Am I starting a new army? No I have way too much work to do to my my current armies to make them 8th worthy.

*SQUEE*
24-08-2010, 13:50
I voted yes as I have started Ogres (for the second time).

I actually have less armies however as I have sold my Dwarves and am selling my Tomb Kings, Dark Elves and Daemons.

That will leave me with only four armies. Skaven, WoC, OnG and Ogres.

Navar
24-08-2010, 15:41
Starting Skaven with IoB

Enigmatik1
24-08-2010, 15:46
I'm mulling over whether to start a new army or not. I have a smattering of WoC models already and am really interested in running a Savage Orc list.

I'm going to play a few more games with my TK before making my final decision. So far I've had one really bad game (that I won in one turn...thanks Lore of Death...I hate you! :shifty:) and one really good one that went the distance that I lost. I have some pretty substantial issues with my list so we'll see if I can't sort them out before jumping ship.

Edahlo
24-08-2010, 16:07
Well, I guess I'm not starting a new army as much as starting my first army, but I'm painting up my Lizardmen now, and I've never painted an army before. : )

So, yes, in a sense I'm starting a new army for 8th.

SeaSwift
24-08-2010, 16:22
Want to, but can't, because I don't have the time or money :(

jullevi
24-08-2010, 16:29
I have been into this hobby long enough to be able to start 'new' armies by dragging a huge box labeled CHAOS from my closet. 8th edition has given me a slight urge to make a new army or revisit some of my older ones, but not to buy any new models per se.

I'd like to upgrade my Empire army for 8th edition, but I can't think of any reasonable way to upgrade my state troop units into 30+ models. I am using mostly 5/6th edition plastics for them, but I don't have any spares and I don't like to buy new models either.

It looks like my main projects for 8th edition will be two all-metal Warriors of Chaos armies (one Khorne, one Nurgle) and finally painting the 200+ Night Goblins that I acquired during the previous edition.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
24-08-2010, 16:32
I voted no, I just like my greenskins to much so no other armies for me. Altough I have a buncj of ogres that can't no longer be used as ogres so maybe a small ogre army in the near future.

Cheers,
G

Jind_Singh
24-08-2010, 16:43
Yes, in 7th I wanted to do Skaven after their new book came out, and bought about 500pts - but with the new Island of Blood I'm pumped! I'll be getting maybe 3 starter sets and trading away the HE!

ospriet
24-08-2010, 19:42
been considering starting playing again for a while and i've decided its going to be with wood elves.
was really tempted by the high elves, but i can't face the spearmen/archers, and i've always loved pretty much the entire wood elf 6th/7th edition range.
i can't face going round my parents to dig out and salvage my dark elves or bretonnians, so a new start with a new army that i'm actually going to force myself to paint is the answer.

(also i finally have an excuse to buy the highborn with great weapon model that i love so very much :D)

Bereaver
24-08-2010, 19:52
Yep. Dropped Dwarfs for WoC.

Dwarfs moving around at breakneck speed just broke why I loved Dwarfs so much.

jdunn
24-08-2010, 22:11
must finish an army completely before moving on for once!

that said, i so want to make a daemons of chaos army!!

mweaver
24-08-2010, 23:34
Haven't yet, but the lovely models in Isle of Blood will probably start me on high elves. I have avoided them in the past because I don't like the cone-head look, but the IoB models are so gorgeous.

DaemonReign
24-08-2010, 23:40
We're gonna take the opportunity to (re-)start building a High Elf list when the IOB-box comes out - there's some sort of deal with our local shop that let's us swap all Skaven models so that we ONLY get High Elf stuff with IOB.. after that all one needs is about two battallion boxes and our High Elves will be ready to rumble.

We would have gone with Skaven but we need a "good-guys" list in our assortment..

Aergren
24-08-2010, 23:56
I already had Brets, but my will to play WHF was dieing in 7th. 8th jump started me and so i pulled the Brets out of the basement and started collecting and more importantly painting them.

DruchiiMagic
25-08-2010, 00:02
I started a second army. I still need 25 Slayers and 25 Ironbreakers to fully finish it model wise. Painting wise I won't get to it till 2012, but since my gaming group does not have a painting requirement and I would never go to a tournament, all I have to do is get around to assembling them.

Though my first task is to finish painting my Dark Elves, which is 85% complete, 43 more models to go(out of 293)

TheBloodyHand
25-08-2010, 00:26
I voted yes, though technically I started my Skaven army 2 years ago. I built one unit of the older style clanrats, hated them so much that I decided I would not be doing that army until new clanrats, plus I was fed up with 7th and went back to 40k for the last year or so. 8th ed. is awesome, new clanrats came out and IoB is soooooo pretty. Already have 2 units of 30 new clanrats built, with plans for about 100 more. This is my 4th Fantasy army after doing DE, WE, and HE.

phaserburn
25-08-2010, 07:44
I voted yes as I am updating my circa 97' skaven army to reflect the new editions. I sculpted a HPA and made some doomflayers.

I also voted yes as I have PATIENTLY been waiting for TK to be re-leased next year. I have been wanting to start them for a while. They will be my first new army in a few years and my first 8th ed army.

Cant wait!!!!

MindSlave
25-08-2010, 17:38
Not really, but 8th has got me to actually get off my backside and finally get an entire army! 9 years in the hobby and not a single army to show for it...
So I've resurrected my WoC (I'd already painted a whole 12 men!) and come september and some money, I'm splashing it on the rest of the army, getting it up to 2,500 points.

Lars Porsenna
25-08-2010, 18:12
No, but I'm concentrating on filling out existing armies or collecting units I didn't have before. Current project is filling out dwarfs. I'm going to pre-order IoB from my FLGS probably tonite, and that'll be useful in filling out that army (I never collected enough Ellyrian Reavers to matter, and have no Lothern; I may sell off the Swordmasters on Ebay, as I already have 24 metal ones). I have Wood Elves still unfinished, and Dark Elves sitting in a box primed with armor basecoated black (but it's a complete army!), and finally I have Night Goblins I can finish off with a couple boxed sets and a couple of blisters...

After that though? WHo knows? I was thinking about a Daemon army (Tzeentch themed, perhaps with WoC allies), wouldn't mind collecting Ogres, but I'm quickly running out of Fantasy armies I'd really want to collect. 40K is in a better situaton, but I've been inspired to do a themed Raven Guard army there, might collect Grey Knights when they come out, and still have to finish SoBs and IG.

It's a long, long road...

Damon.

BorderKing
25-08-2010, 21:49
I have, due to the whine thread from Arkfatalis, as I always liked his ideas. Like he did I also felt the same, but unlike him I wasn't ready to stop playing. Instead, I'm currently in the process of stripping my DOW before re-doing them as a counts as Skaven army. It feels like starting a new army even though I'll mainly be playing the same models but with different rules.

Deon
25-08-2010, 22:11
Well i just finished my night goblin army,
my dwarfs are just one unit away from being finished,
i started a ork army and if that ever gets done, (if an army ever can be totally done)
i will be looking in to lizardmen or wood elves,
if by that time nothing else catches my eye lol :D

Lugburz
25-08-2010, 22:55
I want to start a beastmen army, but I wont because I still got about 100 night goblins, 100 clanrats, 100 skinks/sauruses and a LOT of daemons to paint. It didn`t help when I started studying math, chemistry and physics, while beeing in a full time job this year :p.

Halelel
25-08-2010, 23:17
I told myself I wouldn't start any new armies for 8th, that lasted about a week. :D

Finally decided to do something with my old beastmen half of my Hordes of Chaos army and bought some pieces to make it a proper infantry based army. Added a lot more older metal bestigors (thank you ebay) and a few older plastic boxes of gor/ungors (the old box that you got 20 models in, ya, thanks GW for splitting them into boxes of 10, :wtf: ). Now I have a few large blocks of ungors, gors, bestigors, and a handful of minotaurs to form an infantry army. Not sure how it will do, but it should be interesting at least.

Also, I have a great great great disdain for the BFSP Dwarfs, but I recently cleared out some boxes in my garage and counted out about 5ish plastic sets of the ugly buggers. Since all the choices are actually pretty good in 8th (warriors, thunderers, miners, and cannons) I decided to build them up, just need to get a few runesmiths and it's a decent simplistic 2k+ army friends can use who want to experiment with 8th. (Painting them is a whole different matter, might experiment with dipping since they couldn't possibly look worse, haha)

rodmillard
25-08-2010, 23:28
I voted yes, although it isn't 8th ed that prompted my decision to start VC, but rather the fantastic (and affordable) minis being produced by Mantic. I did, however, wait for 8th to come out before I committed to buy anything, so I suppose it counts ;)

Ghazbad_Facestompa
26-08-2010, 05:47
I haven't yet (need more trolls and want more black orcs), but I'm torn between VC (cabal of necromancers led by a liche with the only vampires modeled as such being a death-seeking Blood Dragon and his followers; I wanted VC as my first army, but after hearing they were OP, I went orcs) and Bretonnia.

bluemage
26-08-2010, 14:59
I'd interested in starting a new army as I feel 8th really changed the way my current armies play to such an extreme I don't want to play them any more. It would also cost $300-$400 to update them to an 8th ed list I would want to run. So I figure I might as well start a new army, but I just don't have the inclination at the moment.

Grimmeth
26-08-2010, 15:08
Its not strictly a new army, but I've resurrected my Dark Elves, found the ones that hadn't got paint on/stripped the others, bought some bits to turn them into a viable army again and started painting them with a brand new colour scheme.
I suppose they're effectively a new army, just using some old bits to save cash.

librerian_samae
26-08-2010, 15:25
I have re-tooled my dark elves and have actualy got round to begining my Ogre army so yes, yes I have:)