PDA

View Full Version : Old world Tomb Kings?

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
23-08-2010, 20:55
Hi all,

I've got this problem, I like undead but dislike GW vampires, not the models or even their story which are actually really good but the army just doesnt do it for me. I want Liches, Skeletal Archers and heavy and light cavalry. Maybe a cannon manned by undead.
Now most of you will be thinking: "Ah... Tomb Kings!". But I don't like the way they're so distant from the Empire and all the other races.
So what I'm thinking of is Old World Tomb Kings, Empire inspired with Swordsmen for skeletons, archers as skeletal archers, the War Altar shrine as Casket of Souls, mortars as Screaming Skullcatapults. Well you get the jist.
The painting scheme will the one used by GW for the LoTR Army of The Dead. Ghostlike. But which models to use for chariots? Can I use little swarms of Flaggelants as Ushabti? All ideas are welcome.

RMacDeezy
23-08-2010, 21:04
one of my buddies plays tomb kings and his army is themed along the same lines. not so much pyramids and pharonic imagery but more like barrows and kind of dark-age-saxon feel to them. he modeled his chariots to look celtic(?) or something. they look great even tho i'm probably butchering the historic references

taffeh
23-08-2010, 21:14
Barrow Kings :)

Wights or Necromancers as the lords / heros - good way to field The Lichmaster

Theres a bit of text in the undead books, and a few people have done such lists... corpse cart conversion charriots, shelob as a scorpion, and a giant rat as the bone-giant...

BeatTheBeat
23-08-2010, 21:22
Here's some inspiration for you, there's a chap in the plogs that's doing something like you're thinking of:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263842

Cheers,
BTB

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
23-08-2010, 21:25
I would like to keep the whole army undead with the exception of maybe necromancers Heinrich Himm... Kemmler style. Maybe a ghost steamtank as giant? Or is that just stupid?

R-Love
23-08-2010, 23:54
I would like to keep the whole army undead with the exception of maybe necromancers Heinrich Himm... Kemmler style. Maybe a ghost steamtank as giant? Or is that just stupid?

I would probably avoid Ghosts of inanimate objects, yes :D. Bear in mind that Bone giants (as well as Ushabti and scorpions) are technically constructs rather than animated remains, so you could always build off that for ideas

Justice And Rule
24-08-2010, 01:18
The Celtic Barrow Wight-style army was what I immediately thought of as well. Definitely a neat idea.

It could work; you could maybe put on some sort of spikes or deathroller-type attachment to represent the devastating charge skill (Which I can't remember the name of). Just make sure it's suitably ramshackle and the undead crew are visible. Heck, show them powering it with dead body parts and call it a "Charnel Tank"! :D :D

Skeletal/Zombie Ogres would make good Ushabti for their size. The Empire has been known to hire out Ogres quite a bit, anyways.

And your idea isn't stupid, it just needs some fine-tuning.

Chiron
24-08-2010, 02:46
I did an army of Barrow Kings, I was going to use the new Minotaurs for Ushabti eventually (bulls are a good Celtic symbol) sadly that idea never worked because there just so... horrible.

Project log is in my sig

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
24-08-2010, 21:51
I like the idea of Celtic TK but would really like "fresh" risen empire soldiers as troops so no skeletons.
I will probably use "swarms" of Flaggelants as Ushabti and was going to use Goldswords as Tomb Guard until I noticed they can't take great weapons. Any other ideas?