PDA

View Full Version : I need a Planet named!

tartarus
23-08-2010, 19:57
I'd like some help finding a name for a Penal Colony for my penal legion to come from so any suggestions real or made up.

Cheers!

bigcheese76
23-08-2010, 20:04
Have a look on Lexicanum. Just use the random page button and look at planetry names on the pages. Then just pick one that you like the sound of. Thats the way I came up with my home world name. Obviously I looked into the fluff of the planet a fair bit before deciding fully.

woodfin
23-08-2010, 20:05
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/St._Josmane's_Hope

Freak Ona Leash
23-08-2010, 20:06
Attica.

The name of a state penitentiary in New York :)

Crube
23-08-2010, 20:07
Some off the top of my head

Garnus V
Tygian
Druckius
Kilan IV
Polomus
Carlitus III

(oh, and in your sig, am I reading a WWE reference, or am I reading things that aren't there...)

SultanBaal
23-08-2010, 20:08
I tend to use historical names as my planets, and also use words from other languages like you could try Judicium Primus

Mannimarco
23-08-2010, 20:08
Fiorina 161?

Come on I cant be the only one to think it!

Stealin' Genes
23-08-2010, 20:16
Ixion.

Look it up :)

spetswalshe
23-08-2010, 20:42
Three things make a good penal world name; the name, the number and the nickname. For example, Perspehone VII, 'Scar City'; the name is suitably old-style (and also taken from Persephone Penal Colony, the horrific prison from Bioshock 2 where political opponents get tortured to death, or worse), the number is simple in both written form and spoken (unfortunately calling it Persephone 13 would be a bit much) and the prisoner-given nickname is disturbing without need for explanation.

Lord Malorne
23-08-2010, 20:44
I'd like some help finding a name for a Penal Colony for my penal legion to come from so any suggestions real or made up.

Cheers!

Your username backwards.

mrln68
23-08-2010, 20:45
St. Laurent du Maroni or just St. Laurent

Crube
23-08-2010, 20:46
Your username backwards.

This

I never thuoght I'd say it, but Malorne, you're verging on Genius....

BaronDG
23-08-2010, 20:48
Three things make a good penal world name; the name, the number and the nickname. For example, Perspehone VII, 'Scar City'; the name is suitably old-style (and also taken from Persephone Penal Colony, the horrific prison from Bioshock 2 where political opponents get tortured to death, or worse), the number is simple in both written form and spoken (unfortunately calling it Persephone 13 would be a bit much) and the prisoner-given nickname is disturbing without need for explanation.

Never really thought about it this way but I support it with all my heart! :cool:

madprophet
23-08-2010, 21:03
Ixion.

Look it up :)

Now, now, that one belongs to the Atreides - different god-emperor :)

Elmira IV
Ossining II
Katraz VI
Rura Penthe
Gulagos IX

Col. Dash
24-08-2010, 00:32
Bob II or perhaps Bob III. A very evil and forbidding name if I ever heard one

Wyrmwood
24-08-2010, 00:45
I would look for, preferably but not necessarily, Latin translations of certain words. For example, perhaps you'd decide that your Penal Legion is raised on the ninth world in a system, a world eroded by chemical storms brought about by a series of nuclear holocausts with the ashen landscapes dominated by only a few choking hive cities - sort of like Krieg. After a little searching - voila: aduro (adustum) : to set fire to, burn, singe, kindle, light. So now we have Adustum IX (number is optional, of course). Just a simple example, of course :).

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/frivs/latin/latin-dict-full.html

madprophet
24-08-2010, 01:32
You know, Tartarus isn't a bad name for a penal colony.

kylsnik ironhead
24-08-2010, 01:50
Niflhel IIV Niflhel is basicly hell from Norse Myth

spetswalshe
24-08-2010, 02:03
You know, Tartarus isn't a bad name for a penal colony.

Already taken/wasted by the first Dawn of War game. In reality a name like that will probably get applied to several worlds in a galaxy but that still doesn't mean anyone's going to name their homebrew world Armageddonagain or Terra 2.

StarshipBOb
24-08-2010, 02:12
Here's a list of contenders. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_prison_hulks)

Some ones on the list which I think make a good planetary name include:

Dromedary
Gelykheid
Goree
Leven
Menelaus
Temeraire

madprophet
24-08-2010, 02:15
Niflhel IIV Niflhel is basicly hell from Norse Myth

Actually, its Niflheim and Hel. Niflheim is the underworld and Hel is, well, Hell :)

Hellebore
24-08-2010, 04:09
Aix
Berasis
Corites
Dhal'garan
Ewtus Majoris
Falon Culpa
Gehenia
Hastades
Iophur
Jl'actu
Kortis Minor
La'tres Primus
Malfet Secondus
Noculus
Orstwel
Pesit
Qunkar
Rheotos
Suteon
Theria
Ustus Major
Verahn Corpus
Wostghort
Xerides Archonia
Yamenfoust
Z-21 Delta

Hellebore

Col. Tartleton
24-08-2010, 04:43
Actually, its Niflheim and Hel. Niflheim is the underworld and Hel is, well, Hell :)

Actually its Niflheimr or Nebel if you want to be German. Regardless it means Mist.

Hel hath fury like a woman scorned because unlike Hell, Hel is a lady.

mob16151
24-08-2010, 11:00
Here's a couple I like

Babylon
Anarchia

Hunger
24-08-2010, 12:20
You could do what GW often does when it comes to naming planets - take the first three letters of the planet's type and add the suffix -is on the end. ;)

Add a number between 1 and 10 in Roman numerals too.

Sai-Lauren
24-08-2010, 16:07
Fiorina 161?

Come on I cant be the only one to think it!

Nah, Cygnus Alpha. ;)

You could be sarcastic and call it Bliss or something :)
Or maybe something like Repentance.

Anyway, some questions that might help you decide:

Was it just chosen to be a penal colony, or is it a world that was originally lightly colonised and then got used as one?

Is it founded pre-Imperium, pre-Heresy or post-heresy? Whereabouts in the galaxy is it, and who sent prisoners there? Were they sent there for a specific reason, or just to be got rid of from their world.

Personally, I tend to throw a few syllables together until I get something I like - although there's a couple of names I've taken over the years which are latin names for existing places (one of my guard regiments on the rollcall is from Leodis - which is Leeds, where I went to University).

baphomael
24-08-2010, 19:23
Nah, Cygnus Alpha. ;)

You could be sarcastic and call it Bliss or something :)
Or maybe something like Repentance.

Anyway, some questions that might help you decide:

Was it just chosen to be a penal colony, or is it a world that was originally lightly colonised and then got used as one?

Is it founded pre-Imperium, pre-Heresy or post-heresy? Whereabouts in the galaxy is it, and who sent prisoners there? Were they sent there for a specific reason, or just to be got rid of from their world.

Personally, I tend to throw a few syllables together until I get something I like - although there's a couple of names I've taken over the years which are latin names for existing places (one of my guard regiments on the rollcall is from Leodis - which is Leeds, where I went to University).

Thats an idea I like - something along to the lines of Absolution, Salvation, Atonement etc.

madprophet
27-08-2010, 02:28
Actually its Niflheimr or Nebel if you want to be German. Regardless it means Mist.
And it was the land of the dead in old German myth

Hel was both the name of the goddess and her realm. Just like Hades was both the god and his kingdom. I do like the quote tho' I may have to steal it for my signature :)

808thMyrmidons
27-08-2010, 03:12
heres one straight from the b movies
Planet X

HK-47
27-08-2010, 06:01
I like the name Cocytus, basically it means "the river of wailing", and it was one of the rivers that flowed through the Greek underworld, which fits in with your screen name. It was in the Divine comedy as the frozen lake that was the ninth circle of hell, which was the place reserved for traitors, where they lye frozen in the ice, and in the center of the lake is Lucifer himself, doomed to spend eternity trying to escape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocytus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_%28Dante%29#Ninth_Circle_.28Betrayal.29

Lupe
27-08-2010, 19:49
I personally like the above idea of naming a prison-planet Repentance. Not only does it sound poetic from an outside point of view, but it would also make sense as a name given by the inmates themselves.

totgeboren
27-08-2010, 20:01

I thought the quote was “Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned"?

Speaking of, here are some names (http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Planets).

Some favorites are:
Urectum
Ebola 9
Eden 7
Spheron I
Neutral Planet
Globetrotter Planet
Dogdoo 7

Cheers!

Seved
27-08-2010, 21:05
Ebola 9 must be a really nice planet to visit.

Aliarzathanil
03-09-2010, 13:18
Just avoid the typically sci-fi cliche of over using Roman numerals. How lazy would you have to be to name a planet in an inhabited system the same thing as seven other planets in that system? That would be like having seven kids and naming them all Gerald.

Totgeboren, Urectum? Urectum!? It nearly KILLED him!

mightymconeshot
03-09-2010, 17:54
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/gens/planetname.html

have fun.

Malice313
04-09-2010, 07:44
Going with GW penchant for plagiarism... excuse me... using references to evoke imagery, you can't go past Australia for prison colonies.

Van Diemansland (Maybe shorten it to Van Dieman)was the old name for Tasmania that had the most brutal prisons.

Probably the most infamous was Port Arthur at Eaglehawk Neck. Port Arthur became famous more recently as the massacre site when Martin Bryant went on a shooting rampage in 1996

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_%28Australia%29

ArtificerArmour
05-09-2010, 10:46
I had a penal colony called Slade 6, little reference to porridge, old school punnery at work ;)

TheBigBadWolf
05-09-2010, 11:22
Bob or Bob 2

Kage2020
05-09-2010, 16:02
<shameless>

You could always borrow one from Matt Farrer for the name of one of the prisons...

... Cage TwentyTwenty...

:shifty:

Kage

Malice313
06-09-2010, 05:18
<shameless>

You could always borrow one from Matt Farrer for the name of one of the prisons...

... Cage TwentyTwenty...

:shifty:

Kage

I wonder if that was any influence from the 2000AD story Harry 20 on the High Rock?

Kage2020
06-09-2010, 11:34
Never read the magazine, so wouldn't know. Just find it amusing either way. :D

Kage

Malice313
06-09-2010, 12:01
Never read the magazine, so wouldn't know. Just find it amusing either way. :D

Kage

Really? I guess there are so many comics produced in America that it would a little obscure.

You might want to check out the old stuff like Nemesis. Very 40k and some of the artists bid work in the Rogue Trader.

Kage2020
06-09-2010, 12:27
LOL. I'm English and spent most of my life there (well, between around 5 and 28, anyway). I'm very well aware of 2000AD but I'm not really into comic books/graphic novels. Now that I think about it, I think that I might have picked one that was hanging around in an uber-wargame that was played back in the late 80s/early 90s but... Meh. Never appealed. Different strokes and all that, but maybe it was the whole Slaine "warp spasm" thing and, "He killed thousands... but didn't think it too much."

Kage

Malice313
06-09-2010, 14:37
Yeah, Slaine was pretty cheesy... but then comic books are pretty cheesy in general.

I find it interesting that there are so many comic based movies are coming out lately. The Sin City/300 stuff is visually pretty good, but the comic book dialogue on screen is totally cringe worthy.:eyebrows:

Like I said though, the Nemesis stuff might be interesting for the relationship it shared with early 40k, which I know you're familiar with.

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
06-09-2010, 18:58

Cheers!

Here is the Wiki article about penal colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_colony

There are a few good ones in there that may inspire you.

Carlos
07-09-2010, 07:16
Latin Periodic elements are your friend here. Ive used worlds called Cuprium, Argentum, Vanadium, Metineria, Aurum, Ytterbium, Cadmia etc in the past.

Malice313
07-09-2010, 08:24
Here is the Wiki article about penal colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_colony

There are a few good ones in there that may inspire you.

Interesting article, though I don't agree with the labour drain during the gold rush. Convict labour was in steep decline at that stage and a lot of gold rush immigrants never made it to the gold fields.

Gold mining was so heavily taxed that it was almost impossible to make a profit unless you were a large scale operation, so many miners soon quit. Even after the Eureka Stockade it was hard to make a living.

Not that there wasn't much gold. Victoria had the biggest gold strike to date, eclipsing South Africa and California. There was so much gold that the roof of the Victorian house of parliament has 9 carat gold leafing, because it was easier than importing gold paint.

As I said before, Van Diemen's land (Tasmania) had some particularly brutal prisons. The topography of the island is particularly rough. The natives (who have been wiped out in what the U.N. calls the only successful campaign of genocide on record) were so isolated that they lost a lot of technology, including the technology of starting fires. Even today there are large areas of the table lands that are inaccessible even by off road vehicles.

Severed from the mainland by the notoriously treacherous Bass Strait (that is a favourite place for Great White sharks), its a cold, wet, remote place. The gaolers used to scare the willies out of the prisoners by taking them out in a boat and hack the hands off an Aboriginal before throwing them over board so the convicts could see them torn to pieces by the massive sharks.

Slayerthane
10-09-2010, 17:17
I know this comes from Chronicles of Riddick, but I kind of like:

Crematoria

TheDarkDaff
11-09-2010, 01:56
To help out the chorus for Tasmania (Van Dieman's land) it has a prison there known as the Pink Palace (Mark 'Chopper' Reid was an inmate there) that is supposed to be one of the worst prisons in Australia.

Or if you want to try something funny you could go for Coprolite II.

Malice313
11-09-2010, 11:18
To help out the chorus for Tasmania (Van Dieman's land) it has a prison there known as the Pink Palace (Mark 'Chopper' Reid was an inmate there) that is supposed to be one of the worst prisons in Australia.

Or if you want to try something funny you could go for Coprolite II.

You have to be an Aussie to know who "Chopper" Reid is. Are you Taswegian?